Sign in to follow this  
DNAofDeath

Game's dead, nice try Grapeshot, gg wp

I like the game, well, kinda, what i dont like is the wildcard-attitude grapeshot has... but this game isnt ark (like ark wasnt ark anymore when snailgames bought the studio, because one of the founders stole work from trendy, and they needed a quick 40 million $ to pay their debts)...

Sooo... im not happy to announce the death of this game, but numbers dont lie, and with a good portion of knowledge about how steam, modern playerbases and such work today, im sad to say it, but look below, make your own conclusions and keep this post in mind when the game is finally declared as dead.

https://steamcharts.com/app/834910

Dec. '18: Started out with 40k+ avrg. Players -> Disastrous launch
Jan. '19: People realize there was almost no effort put into the game -> 12k less avrg. players
Feb. '19: Grapeshot continues failing by implementing stupid crap like the FoY and ppl cheating inside the persistent world -> 15k less avrg. players
Mar. '19: So far only 400 less avrg. players, but Grapeshot wasnt finished with the stupid decisions
Apr.  '19: Grapeshot decides to wipe servers, and while at that, they also decide to wipe players motivation to play by announcing it A FULL MONTH PRIOR

Predictions:

May. '19: Playercount is down to 1000 Players, since the update was once more delayed and still no wipe happened
Jun. '19: The update came out, along with a huge marketing campaign, thus we get 15k+ avrg. players
Jul.  '19: 12-13k less avrg. players, due to newly introduced bugs, exploits and the PVE community almost entirely gave up on the game
Dec. '19: Grapeshot announces the closing of official servers due to maintenance and upkeep cost exceed income from newly bought copies of the game by FAR and thus gives no profit
Feb. '20: Game is officially declared dead by both, gaming press and players.

Edited by DNAofDeath
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, IAmAnEasterEgg said:

Hey bud do you have Tuesdays euromillions numbers by any chance 

These are chosen by random, whats going on here isnt random at all, its predictably as fuck.

Edited by DNAofDeath
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, DNAofDeath said:

I like the game, well, kinda, what i dont like is the wildcard-attitude grapeshot has... but this game isnt ark (like ark wasnt ark anymore when snailgames bought the studio, because one of the founders stole work from trendy, and they needed a quick 40 million $ to pay their debts)...

Sooo... im not happy to announce the death of this game, but numbers dont lie, and with a good portion of knowledge about how steam, modern playerbases and such work today, im sad to say it, but look below, make your own conclusions and keep this post in mind when the game is finally declared as dead.

Jan. '19: People realize there was almost no effort put into the game -> 12k less avrg. players
Feb. '19: Grapeshot continues failing by implementing stupid crap like the FoY and ppl cheating inside the persistent world -> 15k less avrg. players
Mar. '19: So far only 400 less avrg. players, but Grapeshot wasnt finished with the stupid decisions
Apr.  '19: Grapeshot decides to wipe servers, and while at that, they also decide to wipe players motivation to play by announcing it A FULL MONTH PRIOR

Predictions:

May. '19: Playercount is down to 1000 Players, since the update was once more delayed and still no wipe happened
Jun. '19: The update came out, along with a huge marketing campaign, thus we get 15k+ avrg. players
Jul.  '19: 12-13k less avrg. players, due to newly introduced bugs, exploits and the PVE community almost entirely gave up on the game
Dec. '19: Grapeshot announces the closing of official servers due to maintenance and upkeep cost exceed income from newly bought copies of the game by FAR and thus gives no profit

It´s EA game AND there is announced wipe, what do you expect jesus christ? 😄 I myself am enjoying Atlas but rn im not playing because of wipe. I will be back the exact day patch comes. So will many people who stopped playing because of stupid offline raiding, not being able to claim land etc.

Edited by Willard
  • Thanks 1

Hey bud, do you walk on your hands? because you sure as hell talk out of your ass. Also can I make a prediction!. You will get detention on Tuesday because you didn't do your homework because you were too busy typing this S@%T. No facts to back up this tripe. I remember similar doomsayers on ark and it is STILL going.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Implicitlee said:

Hey bud, do you walk on your hands? because you sure as hell talk out of your ass. Also can I make a prediction!. You will get detention on Tuesday because you didn't do your homework because you were too busy typing this S@%T. No facts to back up this tripe. I remember similar doomsayers on ark and it is STILL going.

Hehe, doosmday sayers are all around us, although i do see less naked men nowadays on the side of the road with cardboard cutouts saying "end of the world is near", I guess they all came here 😄

To the op, games always decline after launch because when a game launches, EVERYONE is on at the same time, then as time progresses, there playtime gets broken up making it seem like less players when in fact there is probably more, granted people leave for many reasons but right now the pop limit will be low because of our impending doom for the wipe, i can guarantee the player base will rise again after the wipe.

• Haha 1

Oh yeah, the whiteknights are back xD guess what? got some numbers for ya

8LggbIN.png

Thats a crazy drop of players, and the drop hasnt finished yet 

And speaking about ark had a drop and is still going LOL you really want to compare ark to this pile of trash atlas is? Fine, lets take a look at arks player population in the first year...

vo2pWmY.png

um yeah... sure... continue comparing (or referencing to) ark with this...

like... you always compare 1-room appartments with entire castles?
or... a paper plane with a spaceship?

im sorry for your feelings being hurt by numbers, but im sure the numbers dont care xD

Edited by DNAofDeath
  • Thanks 1

Oh and you wanna know a fun fact?

ARK would work perfectly fine with like... lets say 10k players playerbase, because servers are divided, one server can be well populated even with a low overall playercount for the game.

Whole different story for ATLAS, its just not working with a low playerbase, and ATLAS already started out with a lower playerbase than ARK ever had, and now even dropping in playercount, unstoppable...

So tell me how a MMORPG works without the "MASS" the first M in MMO stands for? Im listening, just tell me please.

Edited by DNAofDeath
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DNAofDeath said:

Predictions:

I was one of the thousands that left early on because of how the game was.

Now they are changing the idea of claim flags I am now coming back to the game after the server wipe.

I'd be interested to know what the numbers are like after the wipe and the updates. People i've talked to who also left said they were going to play it again and give it another go, I don't see the numbers going back to when it was first released but they certainly might increase from what they are now.

The people who are not happy with the change might leave, we'll have to see how things go but I'm sure like myself they will be back at some point in the future if they decide to leave.

Edited by MrMagoo

Depends on ones perspective of mass, I see anything over 1k players as massive on it's own but to compare it with anything outside its scope doesn't seam reasonable but now my personal definition off MMORPG, is having all players of each kind pvp/pve on one server/map and in this case ATLAS has hit the nail right on it's head, I think it's ingenious on how they have linked the maps and the loading between the 2 is like a big glitch, it certainly doesn't feel like a server change and I don't believe I have witnessed anyone else has done this on this scale.

The only thing that throws the immersion when crossing servers is the rapid weather change, it needs to gradually build up or calm down, within say 10-30 seconds instead of instant.

Edited by KarmaComa

9 minutes ago, KarmaComa said:

Depends on ones perspective of mass, I see anything over 1k players as massive on it's own

No offense, but ATLAS is designed to handle 40000 players at once (thats what they adverdised it with). 1k Players is not enough to populate the world of ATLAS, thats arround 4 players per server... AVRG... we are talking about average, so only at certain times there are 4 players per server, other times its just a dead wasteland.
Also we are talking about overall playercount, so there will always be a big chunk of players who fall off these numbers: the ones playing on private servers.
The official servers are not well enough populated to make it a true MMO experience, you barely meet a player, you barely have any interaction, thats not how it was supposed to be.

Edited by DNAofDeath
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DNAofDeath said:

No offense, but ATLAS is designed to handle 40000 players at once (thats what they adverdised it with). 1k Players is not enough to populate the world of ATLAS.
Also we are talking about overall playercount, so there will always be a big chunk of players who fall off these numbers: the ones playing on private servers.
The official servers are not well enough populated to make it a true MMO experience, you barely meet a player, you barely have any interaction, thats not how it was supposed to be.

Well I beg to differ and I guess it depends on your location as I'm always seeing other players and sailing past other boats even now with our 6k playercount, it's a bit unfair to compare numbers a few days after a wipe is announced as leading up to the wipe you will see less and less players, rock bottom will be maybe a few days before the wipe.

Nearly ALL games decline after initial launch with a few spikes here and there, give it a week or 2 after the wipe then you will see true numbers but even then, it's early days in early access.  I am unsure when the initial launch is planned.

25 minutes ago, KarmaComa said:

Well I beg to differ and I guess it depends on your location as I'm always seeing other players and sailing past other boats even now with our 6k playercount, it's a bit unfair to compare numbers a few days after a wipe is announced as leading up to the wipe you will see less and less players, rock bottom will be maybe a few days before the wipe.

Nearly ALL games decline after initial launch with a few spikes here and there, give it a week or 2 after the wipe then you will see true numbers but even then, it's early days in early access.  I am unsure when the initial launch is planned.

Nearly all games decline after initial launch but there is a meaningful difference in the percentages that are normal and what Atlas is experiencing. Whether you like the game or not, the OP’s point about the dearth of players being problematic for an MMO to give the intended experience is dead on. From day one I never understood why they were allowing private servers for Atlas as it serves to drain players from one of four primary player bases into diffused sidepools of small groups. 

Don’t get me wrong I ran a multi server cluster for Ark, but that game wasn’t intended to be a single massive world of interconnected server grids all with a single combined economy. The game that Atlas is supposed to be patterned upon is Eve. Ever heard of an Eve private server? Allowing private servers was a troubling sign that perhaps the devs didn’t really grasp the fundamental mechanics of what makes large scale MMO’s work.

Unlike the OP I’m not pronouncing the game dead. The example of No Man’s Sky (man that is a weird steam player count history) really does mean the opera ain’t over til the fat lady sings, but I do firmly believe that Atlas’s disastrous first 60 days has probably lost it any chance of it ever being a hit with a robust playerbase like Ark.  This has implications for how well some of its core MMO mechanics like economy are ever going to be able to function. Like it or not, Atlas faces an uphill battle to even obtain stability and respectability at this point. The good news is that with Ark’s success backing it, Wildshot has deeper pockets than most indie studios, so if they believe in Atlas they have the ability to keep the doors open longer than most could.

• Thanks 1

If they let people infest mmo time in other mmo games the chance is that they stick to that mmo because the do not want to lose that infested time.   Ark works because the private servers. You get almost the same feeling and even better than official. Atlas will not give that on unofficial. The maps are to small 

What if after a year the players count stay low the will be closing servers. The map will shrink. Biodomes will change players will have to move to New grids. Probably the will merge na and eu. Wipe is needed again because off that  

The really need to make big changes to hold the base of players and get new ones. And with all the negative you find about this game that will be hard.

The started wrong for a mmo even in EA, you need to enforce rules and punish grievers and exploiters hard. And listen to you're base, they try that but not hard enough and not quick enough. 

EA you play , find a bug en report bug. And not exploit bugs. Those kind of players ( exploiters) you need to get rid of very fast 

They know players that do it and van only one ban. The rest is still Playing

Edited by awakatanka

6 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

*snip*

So you agree it's too early days to make judgement on that call, yeah the game had a rocky launch and while I agree with what you said about the eve's comparison, it's an entire different recipe plus they struggle to maintain more than 30k players.

Although I could see how having just one open world could work in Atlas, it would just mean factioning off islands/maps areas for each playstyle as opposed to completely different clusters, now that would be fun and would surely populate areas to the point of crowding but wasn't that half the issue before for some ?

5 minutes ago, DNAofDeath said:

Bye, you are leaving the Forums? Because i'm not lol...

Oeff, hope you don’t give us a hard time. 

Just now, Percieval said:

Oeff, hope you don’t give us a hard time. 

Don't know why i should, i love you all ❤️

All I want to know is where did all the npcs walking around and doing stuff in the towns go from the trailers???  Are they ever going to be a thing in this game or not? The few that are in the game just stand there in the trailer they were walking around. I realize a lot of those are probably players but not all were I clearly see what look to be npcs in the crowds doing stuff..  This trailer sold me on this game and still does! It looked amazing and hooked me the moment I saw it. But I jumped in the game and it was nothing like this..  The towns are void of life and look nothing like the trailers. If those really were all players good god...  Being a small tribe though means i'll never get to experience what this trailer promises.. lol Also as a builder type player I'm prety much done with atlas until wipe.. lol No point in my playing until they do it.

17 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

All I want to know is where did all the npcs walking around and doing stuff in the towns go from the trailers??? 

Trailers, especcially if SnailGames owns the publishing company/game, are always fake and marketing-lies.
Just look at the trailer from ark where they announce the expansion "Scorched Earth"

The movement the wyvern in the first scene is doing is flat out impossible in the real game, neither wild nor tamed wyvern can do this, yet it is in the trailer.
But we are getting offtopic, topic is this game, and why and if it is dying xD

6 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Nearly all games decline after initial launch but there is a meaningful difference in the percentages that are normal and what Atlas is experiencing. Whether you like the game or not, the OP’s point about the dearth of players being problematic for an MMO to give the intended experience is dead on. From day one I never understood why they were allowing private servers for Atlas as it serves to drain players from one of four primary player bases into diffused sidepools of small groups. 

Don’t get me wrong I ran a multi server cluster for Ark, but that game wasn’t intended to be a single massive world of interconnected server grids all with a single combined economy. The game that Atlas is supposed to be patterned upon is Eve. Ever heard of an Eve private server? Allowing private servers was a troubling sign that perhaps the devs didn’t really grasp the fundamental mechanics of what makes large scale MMO’s work.

Unlike the OP I’m not pronouncing the game dead. The example of No Man’s Sky (man that is a weird steam player count history) really does mean the opera ain’t over til the fat lady sings, but I do firmly believe that Atlas’s disastrous first 60 days has probably lost it any chance of it ever being a hit with a robust playerbase like Ark.  This has implications for how well some of its core MMO mechanics like economy are ever going to be able to function. Like it or not, Atlas faces an uphill battle to even obtain stability and respectability at this point. The good news is that with Ark’s success backing it, Wildshot has deeper pockets than most indie studios, so if they believe in Atlas they have the ability to keep the doors open longer than most could.

Ark didnt decline right after launch. It actually grew. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DocHolliday said:

Why are there people who feel its their mission in life to call games dead?  

People? You count numbers and facts as people? I just listed facts. Im sorry you got hurt by them 😧.