Sign in to follow this  
Writhes

Don't feel like playing until wipe.

I feel like everything I do until the wipe is going to be pointless and that the playerbase is being used as guinea pigs to test some stupid "alternative claiming rules" scenario. I understand that this is a early access game but I didn't sign up to be a game tester. I bought an actual game and expected to play a game as a player not a tester.

• Like 1

I'd rather they just wiped immediately.  Then I could get on with things and have fun.  I'm not about to waste productive time on something that is pointless, so back to other games for now.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Writhes said:

I feel like everything I do until the wipe is going to be pointless and that the playerbase is being used as guinea pigs to test some stupid "alternative claiming rules" scenario. I understand that this is a early access game but I didn't sign up to be a game tester. I bought an actual game and expected to play a game as a player not a tester.

I beg to disagree, but if you signed up for an Early Access game, you DID sign up to be a game tester.

If you do not want to be a game tester, don't play until full Launch.

Edited by Ktorr
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ktorr said:

I beg to disagree, but if you signed up for an Early Access game, you DID sign up to be a game tester.

Nope, this is a product. I am a customer. EA is nothing more than it's literal interpretation: Early Access. I didn't purchase Beta Access or Tester Access. I purchased Early Access.

4 minutes ago, Coggage said:

I'd rather they just wiped immediately.  Then I could get on with things and have fun.  I'm not about to waste productive time on something that is pointless, so back to other games for now.

I agree. I want to play the game not test a game for 3 weeks until the things I do actually matter.

Edited by Writhes

15 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Then don't play until wipe, simples.

I probably won't but it doesn't change the fact that this is a problem Id like to discuss or see addressed.

Edited by Writhes

27 minutes ago, Writhes said:

Nope, this is a product. I am a customer. EA is nothing more than it's literal interpretation: Early Access. I didn't purchase Beta Access or Tester Access. I purchased Early Access.

I agree. I want to play the game not test a game for 3 weeks until the things I do actually matter.

And who’s definition of Early Access besides yours entitles you to a fully developed game?

Dont misunderstand me. To some degree I am with you,  in the sense that EA is qualitatively different from beta or alpha testing by virtue of the fact you paid for a product, so you have the right to expect some standards for the product. The problem lies in the fact that it is still a product in development and that has been clearly communicated before your purchase. The crux of the issue lies when these two facts intersect in a way that leaves you unhappy.

I suggest that what is needed is clear standards for EA products so that customers have a better understanding of what they have a right to expect and not to expect in EA titles. I think developers are disinclined to embrace this notion because for them it is more conveniant and expedient to take the cash in hand for what were previously free beta trials. 

But if developers do this and fail to compromise by setting clear standards, then they are ignoring a long term issue that will affect their games success negatively. The point you have just made goes to the heart of the issue. Once you are a paying customer, they don’t have the right to treat you like an unpaid tester. If the industry (including Grapecard) persists in doing so the cost in customer dissatisfaction, refunds and lost sales will be a high one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, boomervoncannon said:

And who’s definition of Early Access besides yours entitles you to a fully developed game?

Dont misunderstand me. To some degree I am with you,  in the sense that EA is qualitatively different from beta or alpha testing by virtue of the fact you paid for a product, so you have the right to expect some standards for the product. The problem lies in the fact that it is still a product in development and that has been clearly communicated before your purchase. The crux of the issue lies when these two facts intersect in a way that leaves you unhappy.

I suggest that what is needed is clear standards for EA products so that customers have a better understanding of what they have a right to expect and not to expect in EA titles. I think developers are disinclined to embrace this notion because for them it is more conveniant and expedient to take the cash in hand for what were previously free beta trials. 

But if developers do this and fail to compromise by setting clear standards, then they are ignoring a long term issue that will affect their games success negatively. The point you have just made goes to the heart of the issue. Once you are a paying customer, they don’t have the right to treat you like an unpaid tester. If the industry (including Grapecard) persists in doing so the cost in customer dissatisfaction, refunds and lost sales will be a high one.

The problem is that this creates a standard for how the developers can treat their customers. I'm not going to sit around and act like it's ok to disregard my time and effort toward a product I paid for. Maybe other people are ok with this statement and are willing to bend over and allow developers treat players as if their time investment into this game means nothing but I simply can't respect that.

5 minutes ago, Writhes said:

The problem is that this creates a standard for how the developers can treat their customers. I'm not going to sit around and act like it's ok to disregard my time and effort toward a product I paid for. Maybe other people are ok with this statement and are willing to bend over and allow developers treat players as if their time investment into this game means nothing but I simply can't respect that.

Maybe I didn’t explain my idea well but a big part of the reason I’m suggesting standards is to protect consumers like you and I by providing clearer expectations of what a given EA will or won’t entail. Like it or not EA as an industry practice is not going anywhere. You already have the option not to purchase EA products. What I’m suggesting are standards so you can know beforehand what to expect if you do buy EA products.

16 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

How would you like to see it addressed?

Take the time to create systems and mechanics that help with the transition from island wipes in various ways.

Allow players keep their character progress. Arrange discoveries in a way that so they still exist even if the island they were located no longer exist or remove the points associated to those discoveries directly from players.

Allow players to store tames and ships in the cloud "similar to ark" even if just temporary. Every company has their tames uploaded automatically and have a temporary way to withdraw them for the sake of the transition.

At the end of the day only the structure wipe is warrented in my opinion.

Having systems in place to allow players to keep their character progress and tames will allow players to more smoothly transition from future wipes, island additions, etc... At least then players can have some sort of stability and maintain some form of progression when it's time for regions to be wiped.

Edited by Writhes

I left the game early on to see how things would change, I have no intention of coming back at this point until the server wipe. It does not make sense to build or travel unless you like doing that without the thought of losing it in a couple of weeks.

I knew about all these things though before I bought the game, we are all testing the game out and some people test it out more than others, that's fine. 

To @Writhes

I guess you missed this on the games store page, I'll help ya remember since you skipped over this part.

Early Access Game

Get instant access and start playing; get involved with this game as it develops.

Note: This Early Access game is not complete and may or may not change further. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development. 

• Haha 1

I'm happy about a wipe, but it should have been immediate, not pointlessly delayed and also announced three weeks in advance.  I have games where I can accomplish a great deal in three weeks AND get to keep it and I am off to play those instead of spinning my wheels in Atlas.

they dont wipe for wipe , they wipe to add content , and SURPRISE content not rdy yet , so why are you all saying they should wipe now ?

Edited by Orfen13

I feel ya. Id rather them just get it over with. That being said Im still in game sailing and man is it a ghost town. Server after server only person on is me and mabe 1 other. At this point Im not building but just sailing around looking at different discoveries. Not to get the discovery but just to admire some of the eye candy [I.E. Totem, waterfalls] Did a few tmaps just to see how much gold 6x would yield. (1 MW q23.6 gave 20k gold) Ended up having to pit stop and dump some loot to travel any further.

5 hours ago, Coggage said:

Same.

Which again rises the Chance to quit Atlas.

Fanboys are allways with comming with EA-excuse and that complainers wont quit anyway.

Indeed they should be worried a Lot more about people Not comming to complain.

They wont come Back, they Play other Games allready.

5 hours ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Then don't play until wipe, simples.

The issue that drove my entire guild away is not knowing how many more potential wipes there will be.

5 hours ago, Writhes said:

I don't mind the testing. I can even deal with the loss of two solo built brigs, an almost complete galleon, tames,  buildings... But I can't accept the loss of levels and dp. Not in a game that they sold access to.

3 minutes ago, Iaxa DeVaux said:

I don't mind the testing. I can even deal with the loss of two solo built brigs, an almost complete galleon, tames,  buildings... But I can't accept the loss of levels and dp. Not in a game that they sold access to.

They're adding in more islands. So you will need to sail to the same grids you have already been too anyways to get the new points so just stop in again. As far as levels. ARE you kidding me? Do some tmaps and boom back up in no time. 

6 hours ago, Writhes said:

Totally know what you mean. Our company has all but completly quit, I'm hoping some will be back after the wipe. But to wait 3-4 weeks for a wipe to happen only kills it for everyone.

6 hours ago, Writhes said:

Have you not played the game? 

Sorry friend I can understand the frustration but anyone still here since the Dec 23 availability of the game has a not insignificant amount of hours of entertainment they have extracted from the game. 

That said, I too feel devoid of desire to play at the moment until the wipe has occurred, the announcement was way too far out. It has however allowed the community to offer significant feedback on the new planned direction, get involved there, make your suggestions, explain your position and be constructive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gadefence said:

The issue that drove my entire guild away is not knowing how many more potential wipes there will be.

Really?!?! That is part of the fun, building and building new things.. trying out new ideas, whether it be ship building, your base etc. Wipes are not that hard to over come. Myself and the small group I am playing with are ready for the wipe. Let's us restart and plan a better base and also hope we can finally get the land we desire to live in, instead of where were "ended up"

Strong minds overcome small hurdles! 

shit, myself and my 60 man company/gaming community completely left the game and stopped playing a month ago. We refuse to invest serious time again until the wipe/changes...  not because i don't love the game, but because as it stands, it's pretty much greif city and if i wanted to smash my screen id play dark souls. 550 hours in game, na pvp. Cant wait to play again and not lose all my ships and tames every night when i log off.
🙂 bring on the wipe and changes baby!!!!! wipe wipe city bitch 🙂 

Edited by Enki Anunnaki