Sign in to follow this  
Sadie Blackhawk

Gimme Gimme Generation

I'm wondering how many of you that are whining about the wipe have even watched the live stream, read the patch notes, or will even partake in the public testing on the designated servers when they go live? 

Yeah I guess by todays standards on video games-im considered old. I've gamed for the last 20+ years. I can just imagine how you guys woulda handled the earlier MMO's when it took you 8-10 hours of camping a solitary mob to get one update. You died repeatedly. Had to run back to areas that took some time to get to.

I'm honestly looking forward to the changes. Yeah no claim flags on PVE. But before I start bitching about that i'm gonna give it a chance to see how it plays out. You guys are assuming the worst without even seeing it in the game context. For all you know the repair structure might be the size of a claim flag that will give a no build radius without the ugly red circles that cover the map.

Sorry but there was a shit ton of problems that needed to be fixed-

• Grandfathered in flags that weren't claimable at all.
  • Abandoned Ships that probably wouldn't be able to take any new decay settings since the flags didn't go through with all the changes. 
  • Claim timers to long or to short.
  • People losing bases due to claim flag screw ups/overlapping. 
  • Ocean flags taxing sotd kills.
  • Balancing Multivitamins-easier to die then eat food.
  • Fountain of Youth issues 
  • Treasure maps going to tax banks
  • Not enough sea area to build a shipyard.
  • Not enough land due to people needing to have 100's of flags.
  • No one wanted to pay rent to live on other peoples land-they chose to live on lawless instead.
  • People hated the tax rates.
  • Lag from 100's of abandoned ships/shipyards
  • Crewmembers contesting claims so they were essentially uncontestable since things go into stasis if you don't log in. You can't tell me that after 4 days of trying to take a flag that the crewmembers on a ship still have food-when no one has logged into that area for over 24 days.

That's just a few of the things I can think of offhand at the moment.

Wah fucking Wah that your big base will get wiped. {Hey I farmed 30k organic paste, the stone and the metal to make my base) Cry me another fucking river.

Or the wall of behemoth gates will be gone. I honestly hope they up the cost on the behemoth gates. 

Yeah i'm sure some Asians will foundation bomb areas. But hey they wanna take the time to upkeep each and every foundation they drop. More power to them. Eventually they'll get bored or the new latest and greatest game will come out.

I have better things to do with my time and other grids to sail to.

The majority of you people whining that you'll quit with a wipe. Please do just that.

But I'm guessing you'll be back as soon as the patch goes live. The attention seeking behavior is getting kinda old. 

If you don't like official changes. Go to a private server. Hell they are bringing out a small map for you to play on. You can run your own personal Atlas map on your own comp and set it so its so freaking easy you'll burn the game out in a few days. 

Honestly i'm looking forward to the population increase. Most grids I sail to only have 1-2 active people on them anymore with the exception of lawless servers.

I've had land, lost land, had ships, lost ships, had tames, watched tames die. Put over 900 hours in this game to date. I've been through the good, the bad and the ugly.

Welcome to the real world. Shit Happens.

I don't like my real life neighbors. I have a choice. Move or suck it up and deal with it.  Sometimes my bank account gets overdrawn, my car breaks down, the weather is bad and I can't drive. You don't see me slashing my wrists every time shit goes sour. 

Aww you paid $30 for a game that wipes the map. Grow up and put your big girl panties on or move along. Plenty of other games you can play. 

So you spent a whole 300-400 hours building your base with the real world crap going on. If your microwave breaks after the warranty expires-you go buy a new one. Same shit applies here.

No matter what changes they make. A portion of the population will never be happy with them. 

/end rant

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Your first problem is that you play PVE.

Most of these are non issues on pvp servers anyways.

I agree with you about the gimme gimme generation but why even play this game in a safe zone. Pvp servers are not griefer paradise like you all think. Its rather civilized in this game outside of massive wars.

Edited by Bandit_Black
  • Like 1

As an older guy myself I'd like to point out something. We have more options now then we had in the late 90s when I started online gaming. Standing in the same room killing Olthoi for days at a time is no longer necessary as part of a game experience. So no, a lot of people don't want to spend hours grinding anymore.

That being said it's not the loss of possessions land tames or buildings that broke me. It's loss of progression to replace a broke system with a half baked solution. 

• Like 3

Yeah I mean replacing what was lost is no thing. Like actually its easier now that we know the stuffs. Hell even farming massive bases behemoth gate wall wrapping around entire islands are minimal if you know what you're doing.

But anyway to the point I think most people just wanna play again, currently with this whole wipe limbo crap its unsatisfying and pointless to login until the wipe is done.

Old guy here as well.  Kids these days have no .....  

..... what were we talking about?

• Haha 3

Your title is click baity as fuck considering the main complaint is that people don't want to lose progress they earned themselves. No one is asking for free shit here. There will always be problems in the game and many of those will be questionably worth a wipe to some people but that doesn't mean a wipe should occur every time something is messed up. This is a product of laziness on the developments part. Not wanting address the problems with precision and choosing nuke everything for the sake of making their jobs easier.

What happens when islands are changed again or new biomes are added again. Should this dictate more wipes and cause players to lose hours and hours of discoveries, tames, buildings, ships, etc...? The developers could reassign existing discoveries to new islands and recycle things in a way where at the very least "pathfinders" do not have to be wiped.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sadie Blackhawk said:

I'm wondering how many of you that are whining about the wipe have even watched the live stream, read the patch notes, or will even partake in the public testing on the designated servers when they go live? 

Yeah I guess by todays standards on video games-im considered old. I've gamed for the last 20+ years. I can just imagine how you guys woulda handled the earlier MMO's when it took you 8-10 hours of camping a solitary mob to get one update. You died repeatedly. Had to run back to areas that took some time to get to.

I'm honestly looking forward to the changes. Yeah no claim flags on PVE. But before I start bitching about that i'm gonna give it a chance to see how it plays out. You guys are assuming the worst without even seeing it in the game context. For all you know the repair structure might be the size of a claim flag that will give a no build radius without the ugly red circles that cover the map.

• Abandoned Ships that probably wouldn't be able to take any new decay settings since the flags didn't go through with all the changes. 
  • No one wanted to pay rent to live on other peoples land-they chose to live on lawless instead.
  • Crewmembers contesting claims so they were essentially uncontestable since things go into stasis if you don't log in. You can't tell me that after 4 days of trying to take a flag that the crewmembers on a ship still have food-when no one has logged into that area for over 24 days.

Wah fucking Wah that your big base will get wiped. {Hey I farmed 30k organic paste, the stone and the metal to make my base) Cry me another fucking river.

Or the wall of behemoth gates will be gone. I honestly hope they up the cost on the behemoth gates. 

Yeah i'm sure some Asians will foundation bomb areas. But hey they wanna take the time to upkeep each and every foundation they drop. More power to them. Eventually they'll get bored or the new latest and greatest game will come out.

The majority of you people whining that you'll quit with a wipe. Please do just that.

But I'm guessing you'll be back as soon as the patch goes live. The attention seeking behavior is getting kinda old. 

If you don't like official changes. Go to a private server. Hell they are bringing out a small map for you to play on. You can run your own personal Atlas map on your own comp and set it so its so freaking easy you'll burn the game out in a few days. 

Honestly i'm looking forward to the population increase. Most grids I sail to only have 1-2 active people on them anymore with the exception of lawless servers.

I've had land, lost land, had ships, lost ships, had tames, watched tames die. Put over 900 hours in this game to date. I've been through the good, the bad and the ugly.

I don't like my real life neighbors. I have a choice. Move or suck it up and deal with it.  Sometimes my bank account gets overdrawn, my car breaks down, the weather is bad and I can't drive. You don't see me slashing my wrists every time shit goes sour. 

Aww you paid $30 for a game that wipes the map. Grow up and put your big girl panties on or move along. Plenty of other games you can play. 

So you spent a whole 300-400 hours building your base with the real world crap going on. If your microwave breaks after the warranty expires-you go buy a new one. Same shit applies here.

No matter what changes they make. A portion of the population will never be happy with them. 

/end rant

That was so refreshing! But, I think you're whining too a little I got 24+ years in. ~laughing 

I miss my Commodore 64, Intellivision, Pong and others, Naw, this game blows those out of the water and I can't wait to see what they do next.

Thanks for posting this.

7 hours ago, Sadie Blackhawk said:

/end rant

Where to start... your old bravo. Not entirely sure how thats even relevant but I guess everyone needs a medal for something. I remember skipping homework to waste hours on my dads Amiga 500 so guess that makes me an entitled kid by your standards right?

Played plenty of MMO's going right back to Ultima Online but again not sure how thats relevant either.

You basically created an entire thread which could be summed up in 1 sentence 'I don't like being taxed and theres some other stuff' but heck lets break it down:

Wipe will fix this

Again guess work at best and an entirely different issue that would be fixed with a wipe

Irrelevant to claims being removed, this something can be tweeked.

The main culprit being Sea claims that we have all wanted removed since they were added

Again it has been raised a bunch of times and theres not been any movement by the devs

Sucked at the start, still sucks now but infinitely easier to complete with the recent changes and there are no longer any downsides to not doing it

Never heard that complaint before...

The second biggest issue in Atlas and easily fixed with a cap on flags

See above, can easily be fixed with a cap. I agree no one wants to rent but I also don't want people building on my door step unless its friends. I own 6 claims so I have that choice

Easily fixed with decay timers but still not part of the main issue everyone is having and its not going to get better with claims being removed

I assume you mean NPC's? thats a Grapeshot decision and confusing one at best. Still not sure how thats relevant as you can work round this, I just spent an hour claiming the entire crew of a ship from a company whos timers were up. Now I'm free to pop on netflix and grind out their claims.

You'll notice I missed out the Tax bit as you make it out to be the biggest issue since Trump became president, its really not. You don't like tax, fair enough go farm lawless or better yet get a hauling brig/galleon and scout lawless islands for abandoned bases. Couple weeks ago I destroyed a base with enough resources to warrant 3 round trips to get it all home. Tax much like real life can be avoided.

The MOST important thing is you felt the need to create an entire thread to rant about people ranting?

Must be an old age thing I guess 😉

Edited by LoneXS

My biggest complaint about this whole thing is as I have said in other threads. Go ahead and do the damn wipe, get it over with. Im still playing but its getting boring now with no one else to interact with because they all got their panties in a bunch and wont play. 

• Like 2

" Crewmembers contesting claims so they were essentially uncontestable since things go into stasis if you don't log in. You can't tell me that after 4 days of trying to take a flag that the crewmembers on a ship still have food-when no one has logged into that area for over 24 days. "

You've clearly not seen how long a pantry full of farmed vegetables can last.

Actually I don't give a damn about taxes. It doesn't phase me one bit. 

These were various threads and complaints that were pushed over the last 2 weeks. Finally the long stream of OMG a wipe did me in over coffee this morning. 

Think I read one thread that someone was complaining about their massive thatch base on lawless being wiped. I'm like your kidding me...

Yeah it could get wiped again and again. Some people stay some people go. It's life. Still 2 years left in EA.

Hey I went through Arks pillar spam. I chose to go to a private server from that point on. 

I'm just waiting on the test servers to go live. That will keep me entertained till March 20th.

Yeah limbo sucks. but ive spent my time scouting out places that I might want to live. Testing configurations.

I guess a couple big companies in PVE quit because they can't have their 300 million claim flags. I honestly liked the claim flag idea. It needed to be limited. But I get both sides of it. Every time they tinkered with the claim settings things got messed up.

This wasn't whining. This was umm one cup of coffee in kinda day.

• Like 3

Your pretty much right, you can't please everyone and with this being EA we should all expect a few wipes through its life cycle until it reaches live status. Atlas in the way its designed its very unique and just changing a few small things will lead to all sorts of problems without one.

Thankfully I didn't invest to much time into discoveries/powerstones ect but I can appreciate people getting a little upset with losing their character progress when that was something they focused on. I would say I hope people don't get so invested this time round but its a little counter productive with this being an EA.

I think the main reason we lost so many people is the lack of content and with a lot of the player base being old Ark vets, they were expecting a very similar experience. You then come into Atlas, get a bit of land, hit 50+, done a few power stones or possibly the Kraken and you've got nothing left to do. You can do PVP but if your like me with very erratic gaming times its almost impossible to get established.

I've said this in a few threads, I just don't want to see this end up being Ark 2.0 with all the pillar/foundation spam. Claims flags are a revelation and with the right tweeks I think they can give people the satisfaction and security to enjoy their experience a whole lot more.

9 hours ago, Bandit_Black said:

Your first problem is that you play PVE.

Most of these are non issues on pvp servers anyways.

I agree with you about the gimme gimme generation but why even play this game in a safe zone. Pvp servers are not griefer paradise like you all think. Its rather civilized in this game outside of massive wars.

thats bullshit. my group and i killed EVERYONE we ran into who wasn't trading, who did not announce themselves and ask for permission to sail threw our grid or who had a red name. i also know, in order to be in the leaderboards you need to sink the most ships, and that requires griefing to maintain your spot. 

Edited by Enki Anunnaki

It's not "gimme gimme" it's "this isn't my job, don't make me work so hard to have fun. If you do insist I work so hard for some fun, I will just give my money to someone else who provides fun more easily. If you want my money, you will sell me what I want from you."

It's all about the money. I have it, they want it. My rules.

8 hours ago, LoneXS said:

You basically created an entire thread which could be summed up in 1 sentence 'I don't like being taxed and theres some other stuff'

If this is what you got from his post, then you clearly missed every point made.

4 hours ago, Bowtie said:

It's not "gimme gimme" it's "this isn't my job, don't make me work so hard to have fun

No one is making you work.  One of the things many people enjoy about games like ARK, 7D2D, Minecraft, Atlas... is the accomplishment of having built the things they have built.  Part of that is gathering the necessary materials.  ARK/Atlas are more grindy than most survival-builders, but if you're treating it as a job, that's on you.

• Like 1

Ahhh @Sadie Blackhawk hit the nail on the head. 99% of your post is exactly how I feel as well. It's that people want the instant gratification, patience is not around anymore. Until you have to spend ALL day in a small room waiting for a damn NPC to spawn and hope it drops the boots you want. Or whole weekends in a raid to get better armor pieces. Now that shit was work. *giggles*

This game is a bit grindy, BUT not as grindy as other games like Black Desert Online pops in my head right away.  But I don't see gaming as work.. I look at it as spending time with friends, building on and gaining new friends, the fun you have, etc. Gaming is what YOU make it.

• Like 2

It was grindy for the first week. Then when you got the tames, figured out what does what and where to get what. The grind became less so. I actually enjoy sailing to get resources to make the bps.

Hell at first I hated the stone changes. I even put a post up saying change it back. Then i found J10 and sugar.

Ok so organic paste needs fiber/sugar. Ok quick sail to L12. 100k fiber in 10 mins with a bear. Sail to J10. Harvest 40k sugar with same bear. 5 mortar and pestles on my ship. Took me an hour or so to craft more organic paste then I knew what to do with.

Sailing=best sleeping pill in the world. I normally sail a few grids before I go to bed. Hubbies snoring doesn't even phase me anymore I go out like a light.

I didn't really do any of the power stone stuff since I figured with the first claim flag screw up and our company lost 30 claims or so. That eventually there was gonna be a wipe at some point. 

The funny part is. I wasn't claim flag hunting for myself. I was actually trying to get claims for some people on lawless lands. We  have 5 claims for 11 people. It is more then adequate for our needs. 

Do I think they shoulda just limited them. Yeah I think one or two claim flags per person woulda been fine. Make it so I didn't have to see the ugly red circles too.

Lawless decay timers needed to be faster. I mean hell who wouldn't wanna live in an area where stuff respawns almost instantly.

I have to agree with the majority of the new people. I don't want to rent land from other people. To many variables like if my neighbor doesn't like me they can boot me out. I've actually seen people do just that in L10. Wait the few days and take all their hard work. You can only carry so much on a ship. Those people spent 2 weeks gathering resources.

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:08 PM, Bowtie said:

It's not "gimme gimme" it's "this isn't my job, don't make me work so hard to have fun. If you do insist I work so hard for some fun, I will just give my money to someone else who provides fun more easily. If you want my money, you will sell me what I want from you."

It's all about the money. I have it, they want it. My rules.

No YOU actually paid to see someone elses vision come to life in an Early Access/Uncompleted Game. If you think your $30 pays a yearly salary for anyone your severely wrong. That's not even a full days worth of meals for most families. However $30 will pay for a 10 slot server for 2 months through survival servers. But your only gonna get one grid. 

Things i've learned in life-People are replaceable. 

Edited by Sadie Blackhawk

I agree with a lot of what you say but...

I think most people do like the incoming changes. I do. Do you need to wipe a server to delete claims, change a map or change a decay timer to a destruction timer...? This is the part where people that know nothing about data on a server can reply Yes. 

I think some are upset over lost stuff, but more are upset over the character reset. Is it impossible to save even character levels through the changes? This is the part where people that know nothing about data on a server can reply Yes.

I think people bring up the $30 just as a point of principle (they sold it/they paid for it/I didn't know changes would mean total loss), not really a point of the value of $30. 

I think there will be foundation spam after this. It depends on the new upkeep system. If it's too costly to foundation spam, it may be too costly to build bases, barns, homes. Some may spam and just let the timers run down just to re-spam.

I think we will still have issues with over lapping just now without a flag. The guy next to me on a lawless dropped a ring of pillars around my house just so I can't expand. How much will the upkeep on 15 pillars cost compared to a 200 object house?

I think we will have a new set of problems shortly after this update. They did say sometime about figuring out how to get these things working.

Oh and I agree with everything you say about the gimme gimme generation, including all the things you held back.

On 3/2/2019 at 3:57 PM, Sadie Blackhawk said:

I can just imagine how you guys woulda handled the earlier MMO's when it took you 8-10 hours of camping a solitary mob to get one update. You died repeatedly. Had to run back to areas that took some time to get to.

You started with MMO’s and not MUD’s? You sound like a youngster claiming seniority and experience by referencing to something that hapened yesterday. /s

1 hour ago, Buck Rider said:

I agree with a lot of what you say but...

I think most people do like the incoming changes. I do. Do you need to wipe a server to delete claims, change a map or change a decay timer to a destruction timer...? This is the part where people that know nothing about data on a server can reply Yes. 

On this-I don't see any way around it. How can you differentiate which flag is more important then the next. If you do just delete claims. Someone can come and pretty much foundation around you  etc like you experienced on Lawless. Also with upcoming map changes It could cause a shift in bases period if they play jigsaw with puzzle pieces. Eastern Tundra for sure is getting a facelift. You couldn't save those peoples bases no matter what.

I think some are upset over lost stuff, but more are upset over the character reset. Is it impossible to save even character levels through the changes? This is the part where people that know nothing about data on a server can reply Yes.

I don't think they necessarily need to reset the character data. It does seem like they are gonna change around the skill tree again. They could probably respec -My guess is to get rid of the abandoned gamer bodies. I mean we are talking thousands upon thousands. If I had to give my best guess. The patch notes where they said people who haven't logged in the last 3 weeks would be deleteled-didn't go as planned. Hence why the flags I was trying to get for others are being contested with no one around and only me in the zone. 

I think there will be foundation spam after this. It depends on the new upkeep system. If it's too costly to foundation spam, it may be too costly to build bases, barns, homes. Some may spam and just let the timers run down just to re-spam.

If someone wants to spend their entire time in a video game planting foundations repeatedly. They probably need to get their head checked. I mean it is possible. But like every game. People come and people go.

I am hoping they are going to have a build radius for the resource bank (my actual hope is that it is the size of a claim flag-I mean that is what I would do if I came up with the idea). If its not in the resource bank claim area-An hour rapid decay or so. Now if they were really smart and thought about it. They would only allow one resource bank per grid. This would give people the option to have multiple base locations. Solve the millions of foundations with unlimited upkeep.

At the start. Upkeep might be high till they tinker with it to find the right balance to make people happy.

I think we will still have issues with over lapping just now without a flag. The guy next to me on a lawless dropped a ring of pillars around my house just so I can't expand. How much will the upkeep on 15 pillars cost compared to a 200 object house?

I never had problems on Ark that the other people did. I had a nice stone wall. It held all the dinosaurs that were tameable, mates, babies and some that I tamed to just give away to new people. My husband beat it into my head (ok not really) But 250 fence foundations and one behemoth gate right off the start. What I did do. The outside perimeter I put 6 pillars. I mean at this point you pretty much have a general idea of just how much space you are going to need. Go a little beyond. Be sure to put pillars in the water. I mean people are assholes these days. If they want your spot bad enough they go to pretty bad lengths. Think of ships like dinosaurs. When I made a dock system. I think a brig was 6 foundations wide, Schooner was 3 or 4. Galleon was roughly 11 I think off hand. Ok so im a really bad female driver and can't back up for anything. I gave a little more leeway on both sides for the crashing into things factor.

I was one of those people that got hit by the overweighting griefers because they wanted my turf on L10 think it was week 2 after release. How I fixed the problem. Some of the claim flags that I had left that I wasn't using. I gave them to people looking for homes. That pretty much stopped them from harassing me.

I think we will have a new set of problems shortly after this update. They did say sometime about figuring out how to get these things working.

I'm expecting problems. The first week-a lot of foundations are gonna be dropped till people start building again. Some will recede. Some people will think they need full islands worth of them. But I think that will settle down to a nice groove. I'm guessing the tax bank is gone for PVE so people might not need as much land as they had previously. Resources however maybe pillared out by those who are "saving them". Again its a minor annoyance since animals get hung up on the "Pillars of Hope".

Oh and I agree with everything you say about the gimme gimme generation, including all the things you held back.

Overall. I think the character wipe is more about putting everyone on an even playing ground again for both pve/pvp. Maybe they plan on just going down to 1 pve server and 1 pvp server. If I had to speculate numbers. Post wipe I think numbers will pop back into the 50k-70k range of players. Stay at that for a couple weeks before the decline. But the extra landmass is needed.

There needs to be  land for 30k people of the 40k people. A lot of people came from Ark. Yeah a lot of pillars but you could find places to build a basic starter base to get you by till you can find your permanent spot.

I do like how the development team is making compromises. Hey if this system doesn't work. We'll try again. But one thing I will say. The resource bank might not be sucha bad idea. People can go on vacations and just stock the resource bank and not have to worry about losing their stuff while they are gone. In a few months i'm going to be one of those people who will have to leave when our hard copy of orders come in. We are moving across country. I'm gonna be home/compless for about a week or two till we get settled in Washington state. If my base poofs. I'll just rebuild. To me it doesn't matter much. This is just a game. It's a lot cheaper then going out to dinner, going to a bar or to the movies. 

The more I think about it. I am liking the no claim flag system. The first 3 weeks of this game I barely got any sleep due to claim flags being stolen, contested etc. Granted the claim system was getting better. 20 days was great for a single flag. But way to long for a new player to come in and try to find land. I mean I look at the sea of red when I go into new grids and there might have been a claim or two that you could contest. But its very off putting seeing that. One thing they coulda done. Is if a claim timer was contestable they coulda changed the color of it on the map. Or just had it despawn  entirely. But then the same people who need to have everything to themselves would just put flags down.

Some people didn't know to use H to see where the claim flags were to check timers.

It's gonna take some time for things to get ironed out. I figure by next year it will be a lot smoother sailing.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2019 at 6:57 AM, Sadie Blackhawk said:

/end rant

Well if you have played ark then you know how the changes will be.

FYI arks building design was way better 

On 3/2/2019 at 9:57 AM, Sadie Blackhawk said:

For all you know the repair structure might be the size of a claim flag that will give a no build radius without the ugly red circles that cover the map.

Well that's part of the problem though.  If they offer up details of the system they've worked out for PvP, why not offer the same type of detailed, enthusiastic explanation for PvE?

I liked the explanation given by the dev folk in the stream.  They sounded excited about it, they were making sense, I'm buying into what they're selling.  No guarantee it works as planned, never is, but I can dig the effort.

PvE?  We're removing flags, adding upkeep, see?

I'm not against the wipe, and I know whatever they explain will be met with derision, but not by everyone.  Happy to give it a chance, I just really don't know what IT is at the moment.

On 3/2/2019 at 9:57 AM, Sadie Blackhawk said:

I agree, but I do hope they come out with a medium gate that elephants can fit through.

7 hours ago, Realist said:

Well if you have played ark then you know how the changes will be.

FYI arks building design was way better 

I liked structures plus mod better then arks original design. Some stuff on the buildings I really like-using T to change the peices. But the dynamic pillars/gates would be a blessing. I'd love to see a drawbridge or yes. Medium sized Elephant Gate. I liked arks elevator platforms better too. It's very difficult getting an elephant to not clip on the current ones.

Conan's building design I thought was even prettier then Arks. Then you had the cosmetic dlcs for the different building styles you could buy. I was ok shelling out $10 for fluff content.

6 hours ago, Kveldulf said:

Well that's part of the problem though.  If they offer up details of the system they've worked out for PvP, why not offer the same type of detailed, enthusiastic explanation for PvE?

I liked the explanation given by the dev folk in the stream.  They sounded excited about it, they were making sense, I'm buying into what they're selling.  No guarantee it works as planned, never is, but I can dig the effort.

PvE?  We're removing flags, adding upkeep, see?

I'm not against the wipe, and I know whatever they explain will be met with derision, but not by everyone.  Happy to give it a chance, I just really don't know what IT is at the moment.

I know its all speculation till we can get a real world feel for it. Yeah maybe i'm overly optimistic about they will take the foundation/pillar spam into consideration. It could be total garbage and i'll be the first one screaming-Ok time to bring the claim flags back. 

But like I ran across yesterday when I was sailing around looking at different grids. One house was demolishable but since it was on someone elses claim I couldn't touch it to clean it up. Just a buncha abandoned half built crap that irked me on Ark too till they made it "raidable". I honestly could care less about the raiding aspect. Most of the time even on ark I dropped crap at the foundation just to get rid of it. All that stuff taxes a server and loading when it just sits around.

Man if I played on PVP i'm not sure how i'd feel about the changes. One island to claim by one company. The rest have to pretty much live under you like serfs if you aren't the first to get an island. 

People bitched like crazy about that on PVE.  I don't see that going well on PVP either.

7d2d had the claim block system. Where if you dropped a new block the old one was nullified.  

One thing I don't understand the point of-Lawless servers. Ok so they have faster respawn rates/But temporary areas. Why not just open them up to full building and drop the faster respawn stuff. I think in the grid editor you could designate any island to be no build IIRC.  You could still have your "taming" islands but less of them. So make one island in every grid your "taming/resource gathering" sanctuary.

I do hate comparing this to ark but there is a lot of similarities and systems.

Edited by Sadie Blackhawk

2 hours ago, Sadie Blackhawk said:

I liked structures plus mod better then arks original design. Some stuff on the buildings I really like-using T to change the peices. But the dynamic pillars/gates would be a blessing. I'd love to see a drawbridge or yes. Medium sized Elephant Gate. I liked arks elevator platforms better too. It's very difficult getting an elephant to not clip on the current ones.

Conan's building design I thought was even prettier then Arks. Then you had the cosmetic dlcs for the different building styles you could buy. I was ok shelling out $10 for fluff content.

I know its all speculation till we can get a real world feel for it. Yeah maybe i'm overly optimistic about they will take the foundation/pillar spam into consideration. It could be total garbage and i'll be the first one screaming-Ok time to bring the claim flags back. 

But like I ran across yesterday when I was sailing around looking at different grids. One house was demolishable but since it was on someone elses claim I couldn't touch it to clean it up. Just a buncha abandoned half built crap that irked me on Ark too till they made it "raidable". I honestly could care less about the raiding aspect. Most of the time even on ark I dropped crap at the foundation just to get rid of it. All that stuff taxes a server and loading when it just sits around.

Man if I played on PVP i'm not sure how i'd feel about the changes. One island to claim by one company. The rest have to pretty much live under you like serfs if you aren't the first to get an island. 

People bitched like crazy about that on PVE.  I don't see that going well on PVP either.

7d2d had the claim block system. Where if you dropped a new block the old one was nullified.  

One thing I don't understand the point of-Lawless servers. Ok so they have faster respawn rates/But temporary areas. Why not just open them up to full building and drop the faster respawn stuff. I think in the grid editor you could designate any island to be no build IIRC.  You could still have your "taming" islands but less of them. So make one island in every grid your "taming/resource gathering" sanctuary.

I do hate comparing this to ark but there is a lot of similarities and systems.

Yeah dude. Conan’s building system is awesome. I am actually currently playing it since I had never really given it a chance since I was playing ark the whole time. 

Turns out it is a pretty good game. Some of the stuff I saw people build was insane.

since the devs know that s+ is very popular I am sure the will try to implement it into atlas as well.