Joker

Any idea how to run multiple grids on same physical hardware?

So running a 7x7 grid production and wanting to run a small test 2x2 grid on the same server however wondering how this will affect Redis.  Anyone doing this type of stuff?  I'm trying to run with diff names for the DB's but it doesn't seem to like that and hangs when I try to start it.

If someone has successfully ran multiple grids on the same hardware how did you do it? I'm running Redis as a service now and it's on a single port. So can you run just multiple redis db's on the same server with different grids located in different folders obviously.

So C:\Atlas Production 
C:\Atlas Test

and then connect them to a redis db on the same port but diff db names in the json?

Anyway lots of questions and if noone knows I'll spin up a separate VM to host a 2nd DB perhaps as I'm sure that would work but if I don't have to that is my preferred way.  Anyway thanks in advance for any info you guys might can share.

Don't know if this will help, but I run a 2x1 on linux on the same physical server, and it uses the same RDB. I started with a 1x1 and expanded to 2x1, did not have to change DB info in ServerGrid.ServerOnly.json. I use Atlas Server Tools: https://github.com/BoiseComputer/atlas-server-tools

So, at the very least, I can confirm this works.

You definitely can do this.  What you need to make sure is that your Redis databases use different ports.  The default port is 6379 and you need to change it to something else for the second server. 

\AtlasTools\RedisDatabase\redis.config
Change port number there.

Then you need to rename the redis-server.exe for the second Atlas instance.  If you don't it is going to try to use the first database.
Then you need to change the redis_server_start.bat to point to the new .exe

So for instance I have one renamed "redis-server1.exe" and my redis_server_start.bat looks like this.

cd %~dp0

tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq redis-server1.exe" 2>NUL | find /I /N "redis-server1.exe">NUL
if "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="0" goto end

start redis-server1.exe ./redis.conf

:end
exit

When you update it will add another redis-server.exe file in the folder and that is okay, just make sure your renamed redis exe is there and your start .bat that you use points to it.

hmm, why not make a full standalone install of redis (running as a service) and use different db entry in the serverconfig.json? just an idea, not tested!!!

On 3/3/2019 at 9:16 AM, Buccaneers said:

hmm, why not make a full standalone install of redis (running as a service) and use different db entry in the serverconfig.json? just an idea, not tested!!!

This is what i'd try first as well - I haven't ran multiple clusters from the same DB myself, but i do use the standalone redis install from MS (as a service) which works extremely well. 

Regarding Redis, I'd recommend not running it on Windows Server if you end up having a busy grid. Redis runs much better on Linux and doesn't end up gobbling huge amounts of memory per save it does (if on a busy grid) unlike on Windows Server where it seems to do so. I'm running mine on a virtual machine in Debian, obviously disabled things like transparent huge pages.

On 3/5/2019 at 1:13 AM, Shadowsong said:

This is what i'd try first as well - I haven't ran multiple clusters from the same DB myself, but i do use the standalone redis install from MS (as a service) which works extremely well. 

Can you expand on how to do this with more detail?  I'm curious as well.

On 3/6/2019 at 11:08 AM, Ixel said:

Regarding Redis, I'd recommend not running it on Windows Server if you end up having a busy grid. Redis runs much better on Linux and doesn't end up gobbling huge amounts of memory per save it does (if on a busy grid) unlike on Windows Server where it seems to do so. I'm running mine on a virtual machine in Debian, obviously disabled things like transparent huge pages.

I've never had any issues with Redis myself on a busy 4x3 grid running Windows Server 2019,  I barely notice the memory usage. (21.7MB currently) but i don't use the bundled Redis edition which maybe why. 

4 hours ago, RenWmn said:

Can you expand on how to do this with more detail?  I'm curious as well.

I just use this - https://github.com/MicrosoftArchive/redis/releases install it as a service and configure it as required. (Using the pre-release version) As mentioned above it's a much cleaner way to run the servers, it's always on when running as a service and from my experiense is extremely light on resources.