=MGC=Ranger

Am I losing all my work?

1 hour ago, Talono said:

No, the wipe is NOT neccessary. Maybe some clans have some duped items... who cares ?

Game was fun in its current state, why kill a working system ?

Drop from almost 60k launch week to under 10k as of late strongly suggests that while it may have been fun in its current state for you (I didn’t mind it too much either, wasn’t perfect but playable enough), it wasn’t fun for enough people. As for why kill a working system, it wasn’t working for enough people, which when making development/business decisions like whether to do a wipe is the criteria that ultimately matters.

11 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

Fallout 76, which I will admit IS Neck and Neck with atlas for several "Worst X" titles, Also had a massive problem with item Duping.

Their solution?  Delete the duplicated items.  Cause, you know, that way you target the problem.

GS has even said they want systemic solutions to problems rather than manual solutions.

Are u really comparing finished and released game Fallout 76 game with Atlas in early access?

4 hours ago, Daemon Cross said:

After the wipe it’s going to be another rush to grab as much of an area that you can to prevent others from building on it. Foundation spamming is taking the place of flag spamming. 

Yes, the wipe is justified if it is introducing a (better) solution for the claiming problem in PVE. And I have my doubts, because the core of the problem seems to be to find a just and playable distribution of limited space. But they aknowledged the problem, so I am curious if the coming changes will better the situation. 

Edited by Ben de Witt

On 3/1/2019 at 9:12 PM, DocHolliday said:

I am starting to think people should have to answer a questionnaire before participating in EA.  There will probably be multiple wipes before full release and once the game is "released" it will be wiped again. 

Did you guys think they would release the game and force all the new players to compete against companies that have 2 years of infrastructure in place? 

There does need to be an application for EA like the old beta testing applications.  To many children getting into EA tests thinking this is the completed product instead of READING the Early Access disclaimer.   But reading is hard.

• Like 1

Pretty sure none of these people whining about the wipe care when it comes to some player's sloop or first schooner getting blasted by a group of random asshats sailing by or some solo player/small group of casuals having their little shack leveled.  Oh, sure, they can be faux internet tough guys all day long until it's time for them to be wiped.

WTH are you talking about ? This is pve, most of us would have loved to be able to destroy the abandoned ships left at out bases and around our islands. Our bases getting leveled ? The only thing that is going to level our bases is the wipe.

Wrong forums dude, go back to pvp.

My bad this is in general, not pve general, your good go ahead and bitch about us whining 

2 hours ago, Ben de Witt said:

Yes, the wipe is justified if it is introducing a (better) solution for the claiming problem in PVE. And I have my doubts, because the core of the problem seems to be to find a just and playable distribution of limited space. But they aknowledged the problem, so I am curious if the coming changes will better the situation. 

Did you live on a island or lawless? 

I was never part of the lawless community and was fortunate enough to have a couple claims that I built on, I said by the lawless areas the other day and my heart sunk. No one should have to live like that, the sad part is since they are doing away with claim flags all areas will be like that.  They have been offered so many different solutions to fix the claim flag issue but they feel we are all incompetent and the decision they are going with is one no one else seems to want.

Limit claims, change to a subscription based for claims, requires upkeep on flags but damn no one wants them gone

1 hour ago, Hodo said:

There does need to be an application for EA like the old beta testing applications.  To many children getting into EA tests thinking this is the completed product instead of READING the Early Access disclaimer.   But reading is hard.

No need. It’s player selection. The ones with brains and actually knew what they were getting into will stay after the wipe. The rest will leave. Player selection at it’s finest. 

1 hour ago, Daemon Cross said:

Did you live on a island or lawless? 

As a solo player I have a nice base in the lawless region on a tundra island in D4, EU PVE. I had luck with the specific conditions on this island and especially with my neighbours, with which I built an alliance. My only concern was the four day timer, which would had made it impossible for me to settle there for the long haule. 

In theory I am fine with the planned solution: no claiming flags on PVE. I do hope, that they are tackling the foundation/pillar spamming though. 

Edited by Ben de Witt

5 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Drop from almost 60k launch week to under 10k as of late strongly suggests that while it may have been fun in its current state for you (I didn’t mind it too much either, wasn’t perfect but playable enough), it wasn’t fun for enough people. As for why kill a working system, it wasn’t working for enough people, which when making development/business decisions like whether to do a wipe is the criteria that ultimately matters.

Holy shit Boomer, do you even play the game ? 598 post, wow !!! No longer than the game has been out you spent some time in here either complaining or complementing, I’m not sure which but my hat is off to you good sir. Yeah almost 60k at launch down to 8k or less now, that should have sent a message a long time ago to the developers. They should have been working on the content they had instead of working on content to add, in my opinion if you go back through the history of bug reports and take a good look at all of them and the ones that were upvoted the most you may see that the biggest issues were people asking for wipes or new content, no sir not at all, people were tired of griefers, losing tames, snakes glitching through walls and a list of other issues that still exist in the current state.  Now the ones left playing the game have dealt with it and endured waiting on fixes to happen. Now all of us who have stayed and are continuing to stay gets a big slap in the face, along with a “ we are not fixing any of your issues but we are going to add some more content, work on the claim system even though it may makes things worse but we thought it may help and Oh yeah before we forget all your progress, your character all the work you’ve done in game.... well we are going to delete that as well “ hope you all have a good day and we hope you enjoyed our livestream.

1 hour ago, Daemon Cross said:

Holy shit Boomer, do you even play the game ? 598 post, wow !!! No longer than the game has been out you spent some time in here either complaining or complementing, I’m not sure which but my hat is off to you good sir. Yeah almost 60k at launch down to 8k or less now, that should have sent a message a long time ago to the developers. They should have been working on the content they had instead of working on content to add, in my opinion if you go back through the history of bug reports and take a good look at all of them and the ones that were upvoted the most you may see that the biggest issues were people asking for wipes or new content, no sir not at all, people were tired of griefers, losing tames, snakes glitching through walls and a list of other issues that still exist in the current state.  Now the ones left playing the game have dealt with it and endured waiting on fixes to happen. Now all of us who have stayed and are continuing to stay gets a big slap in the face, along with a “ we are not fixing any of your issues but we are going to add some more content, work on the claim system even though it may makes things worse but we thought it may help and Oh yeah before we forget all your progress, your character all the work you’ve done in game.... well we are going to delete that as well “ hope you all have a good day and we hope you enjoyed our livestream.

I work in sales by apt and drive about 35k miles a year with a work issued IPad. Suffice to say my unfair advantage is my job creates a lot of in between times with nothing to do but bang out a post or 2 to occupy myself while waiting on something else to happen. I actually play more now because the winter is our slower season. During the summer I have days I leave my house at 8 and don’t get home til 10 or later, but then I also have completely random days off.

I tend to both criticize those things I consider subpar and compliment those things I think deserve it.  I try really hard to avoid commenting on any technical aspects of game design or coding because I know very little about those things. I’m much more likely to comment on human nature or the business aspects of developing a game. I understand your frustration but I think the developers honestly believe at this point that a wipe is the best way to move the game forward.  Whether that bears fruit in attracting players back is anybody’s guess at this point. Some say yes, some say no. I can say only that I hope so because economy and trading is the aspect of this game I am most interested in, and those aspects improve greatly the more players are playing.

• Like 1

I know it must suck having a job like that with no set schedule and I’m guessing you work on commission as well, it’s nice to have the free time but kinda sucks never knowing when your going to be home or gone. 

I know that trade routes were being established and trade goods were a big part of the game already, we had a couple people who came through our region and I always looked forward to seeing what they had to offer in trade or for sale. I know Breeding was also a big income for a lot of people, which I never got involved with but those players had some of the highest level tames I’d heard of. Some players had left a territory message after the wipe saying their goodbyes to Atlas, I honestly can’t say I blame them. I know more people has quit the game since the mention of the wipe which was expected I guess. I’d say a few more will leave once it happens but what I’m unsure of is how are they planning to bring players back. I mean the scene has been set by a lot of players already and a few may give it another shot but I don’t think we will see 60k again anytime soon.  They have a big gaming event coming up soon that they are going to showcase Atlas once more but the issue is with the current ranking on Steam a lot of new players will shy away not wanting to deal with the issues that we are dealing with.

I’d say that is the main reason for the wipe, to clean the game up for possible new players after the showcase but if they can’t the ones currently playing to give some decent reviews within a recent time frame then I’m not sure what is going to happen.

Getting people to pay to beta test your game must be one of the biggest scams in gaming history.

There's no chance in heck this is EA - this is alpha/ beta.   Companies shouldn't be allowed to do this.

Grapeshot has been sloppy from the beginning.  They probably changed their name from Wildcard to avoid the stigma from Ark albeit I think they've messed up worse in Atlas than Ark.

Just when the dust settled and the game started to stabilize they announce their wiping all our efforts.  Not only did we pay to beta test, we now lost all that effort too.

• Like 3

Well Jay has now posted he is considering our ideas and suggestions but needs to get with his team before he can discuss it any further.

At this I no longer care, I just wish they would get on with whatever they are going to do, so people can get back to enjoying the game, I myself haven’t decided on whether I will try to progress any further or accumulate much of anything due to possible future wipes.

https://twitter.com/Jatheish

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Percieval said:

No need. It’s player selection. The ones with brains and actually knew what they were getting into will stay after the wipe. The rest will leave. Player selection at it’s finest. 

I tend to agree with you on most things, this however I find incredibly false.  I knew exactly what I was getting into when I started playing this game and I have left and am not going to bother coming back.  I've not made 1 "complaint post" or whined.  Do I like the idea of a wipe?  Nope, but it's not what edged me out of the door.  What really did me in was the horrible changes they're making.  So many of them are bad in my opinion that I can't be bothered to even come back and help a game I enjoyed and put almost 500 hours into.  

So no, people with brains who knew what they were getting into are leaving as well..

36 minutes ago, iLL said:

I tend to agree with you on most things, this however I find incredibly false.  I knew exactly what I was getting into when I started playing this game and I have left and am not going to bother coming back.  I've not made 1 "complaint post" or whined.  Do I like the idea of a wipe?  Nope, but it's not what edged me out of the door.  What really did me in was the horrible changes they're making.  So many of them are bad in my opinion that I can't be bothered to even come back and help a game I enjoyed and put almost 500 hours into.  

So no, people with brains who knew what they were getting into are leaving as well..

why don't you fuck off this forum then? you are whining right now. Go and don't come back good bye

7 minutes ago, Arykos said:

why don't you fuck off this forum then? you are whining right now. Go and don't come back good bye

I'm here to see if they decide to make any more drastic changes that might actually make the better, instead of worse.  I know, it's a hard concept to grasp but you'll understand one of these days.  I was whining?  I was imply stating that I didn't agree with his statement and my reasoning why, were you maybe reading too much into it?  You see, that's what people who don't have the IQ of a small pebble do, they have a conversation with each other about the things they agree and don't agree on, all while the people like yourself tell other people to fuck off and go away.   Which conversation do you think will be constructive?

• Like 1

The game did need a wipe, all the old hacks / dupes, ravished coastal areas in Lawless, and unending flag spam in claimed just makes Atlas a joke.

Purging characters I don't necessarily feel contributes much.  Your characters aren't the weakest link here.

I do like many of the proposed changes though, and despite the hate, I actually think a lawless type set up could work well.  The blight on lawless was the foundation spam.  Solve that and problems end.  It's the lesser evil than the sea of red covering every inch of claimable land which locks everyone out.

36 minutes ago, Vorxius said:

The game did need a wipe, all the old hacks / dupes, ravished coastal areas in Lawless, and unending flag spam in claimed just makes Atlas a joke.

Purging characters I don't necessarily feel contributes much.  Your characters aren't the weakest link here.

I do like many of the proposed changes though, and despite the hate, I actually think a lawless type set up could work well.  The blight on lawless was the foundation spam.  Solve that and problems end.  It's the lesser evil than the sea of red covering every inch of claimable land which locks everyone out.

A number of people have said Lawless is fine, just solve the foundation spam.

I don't think it's solvable.

1.  It takes 2 minutes to whip up a huge stack of thatch foundations.  Why bother with upkeep?  Just slap those suckers down whenever you want.

2.  What if you have fast decay?  If you're a non-spamming player, then you never get to be away from the game for vacations.  You lose everything.

3.  What if you put in a bank for the repair mats so people can take vacations?  See point 1.  Fill the bank up in 15 minutes and you're good for a month.

4.  What if you're a "good" player who just wants to build a really nice base?  By the time you get your first building done, the spot where your second building goes is already built over.  You have no way of protecting it unless you.......spam foundations.

5.  What if you make repair costs astronomically high so that people have to think twice about anything they build, and add a gold cost to that too?  Solos/smalls/casuals will be locked out of the game.  Everybody will be spending so much time trying to protect some tiny bit of land that that becomes the game, and you have to play it, otherwise, you've got nothing.

So, let's say we consider all those things and come up with something to prevent each one of them.  In the end  we've twisted ourselves into knots trying to design a system where players can have a decent amount of land to build a base so that they can get out and enjoy all the rest of the game content.  We've got a whole bunch of rules about what decays and how fast and what it costs to keep various parts of it, and how to prevent  bad people from doing bad things that ruin someone's bit of land, while encouraging the players who want to do good things.

When all we really needed to do was give each player a bit of land that nobody else could build on unless they get permission to do so.  We could call that a "claim".  With that, and a no-build radius around rarer resources and discovery and map spawn points, we'd have a pretty decent system.  If everybody gets 5 claims with caps on companies depending on size, that gets rid of the "red circles everywhere", and everyone gets land.

• Like 1

Well Jat has now posted he is considering our ideas and suggestions but needs to get with his team before he can discuss it any further.

Edited by Daemon Cross

7 minutes ago, Daemon Cross said:

Well Jat has now posted he is considering our ideas and suggestions but needs to get with his team before he can discuss it any further.

But then he said it was about the claim system.

It would not surprise me after all the backlash if they were discussing characters. I did see on reddit a few database admin going on about how to save character data and migrate it back to the post wipe server.

Who knows. But the backlash and the online numbers must be on their mind.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Buck Rider said:

But then he said it was about the claim system.

It would not surprise me after all the backlash if they were discussing characters. I did see on reddit a few database admin going on about how to save character data and migrate it back to the post wipe server.

Yes wipe has not changed. just claim/no claim systems being rehashed. 

3 hours ago, iLL said:

I'm here to see if they decide to make any more drastic changes that might actually make the better, instead of worse.  I know, it's a hard concept to grasp but you'll understand one of these days.  I was whining?  I was imply stating that I didn't agree with his statement and my reasoning why, were you maybe reading too much into it?  You see, that's what people who don't have the IQ of a small pebble do, they have a conversation with each other about the things they agree and don't agree on, all while the people like yourself tell other people to fuck off and go away.   Which conversation do you think will be constructive?

Pretty sure my IQ is higher than yours buddy. what did u achieve in your life so far to make you better than other people?

You are insulting all people who are playing this game and not leaving to have no brain cells in your "statement". Noone gives a shit about some salty wannabe like you, so keep your reason why you left for yourself because we don't care. Nothing to read too much into that.

If you can't keep your conversation constructive don't expect people to be nice and don't whine that you get treated like that, if you are insulting people you don't even know beforehand.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Buck Rider said:

They aren't concerned with numbers right now as they expected numbers to drop further since the wipe announcement. They are looking at peoples comments and suggestions definitely, but numbers are not concerning right now as it was to be expected.