=MGC=Ranger

Am I losing all my work?

Hey I resent that, my 1st pc was a Commodore 64, so yeah I’ve been gaming for awhile myself.  Damn I feel old now, holy shit has it really been that long ago that I started, was Steam even a thing back then ? 

Atarri was my 1st console as well. 

Edited by Daemon Cross

2 hours ago, Eve BlackVeil said:

Actually you know what, if it was a badass tamed unique animal...IM IN. GIMMIE. I will brush it and love it and hug it and squeeze it and tuck it in every night.

Yeah but it can’t die, not to a alpha glitching through the wall or falling off a ship as you pass through a region or if it does die it respawns when you do. Just like a companion. That would be cool.

4 minutes ago, Daemon Cross said:

Hey I resent that, my 1st pc was a Commodore 64, so yeah I’ve been gaming for awhile myself.  Damn I feel old now, holy shit has it really been that long ago that I started, was Steam even a thing back then ? 

Atarri was my 1st console as well. 

So you were born around 1676, correct ?😛

• Haha 1

I never said that we got one of the 1st commodores, my parents got one for me when I was a kid, it was my 1st pc, what else was out on the market is something I’m not aware of but no add 300 hundred years to that and the 1st month and 7th day then you have my age. We grew up without much but I come from a small town and the great big satellite dish back then was a big thing at the time. 

I lived down an old dirt road and can remember when our well would run dry and I would have to carry water from a natural spring that was up the road.

Not everyone has always lived a lavish lifestyle and it just so happens that I know more about living off the land, hunting and fishing then I do about early access games and server wipes !!!  I’ve been gaming online since I was 17 give or take a break due to RL but I’m 43 now, so I have some experience at it. I played dungeons and dragons board game long before it ever came out as a video game. 

5 hours ago, =MGC=Ranger said:

WTF does this have to do with anything at all?

People in 1999 had jobs, friends, family, a life, etc and they got shit done without crying about it and (more importantly) throwing a tantrum demanding it change.  THAT is what it has to do with this.  People back then didn't use the "muh life family friends job" excuse, they just got shit done.

6 hours ago, =MGC=Ranger said:

I wont bother posting again since its pointless. Now what is to stop all of us who are pissed about losing our land from spamming every isle we can find with foundations? Yep, let the griefing begin.

What about this idea I had. It would prevent that very thing. 

2 hours ago, Eve BlackVeil said:

What about this idea I had. It would prevent that very thing. 

So you stated you logged 800 hours of game time in Atlas is that correct vs my 400 hours. I would be making the assumption that you acquired a lot amount of gold in that time and could probably afford to buy as much land as you wanted. I however did not accumulate more than a couple thousand gold in 400 hours and I know before you say it, “quit whining about not having gold, go do a treasure map, if you can’t do a couple treasure maps a week then perhaps this game isn’t for you or join a company that can help you do treasure maps for god sake it isn’t that hard” I’d say I nailed that one but the thing is, I want to be able to play the game as I choose to play it, if I don’t want to grind gold or fight ships of the damned then that should be my choice.  Why should I not allowed to build a base because I choose not to grind gold all the time ?

Limited claim flags would prevent that as well. Build protection  radius around a structure would prevent that also but is the same as a claim flag.  

How are we going to stop foundation spamming? How do we stop someone from building something that interferes with what we have planned to build.  With no sea claims does that mean some one can build in the water and block our ships in ?  So many questions that I can’t find any answers to but I guess that’s because wiping the servers are more important than fixing the current issues. They should have at least tried the new mechanics of the claim flags before doing a wipe, at least get a feel for whether the new system is going work make or break the game. Then possibly add new content and do a wipe if it feels like the game is stable and progression can begin.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Daemon Cross said:

Limited claim flags would prevent that as well. Build protection  radius around a structure would prevent that also but is the same as a claim flag.  

How are we going to stop foundation spamming? How do we stop someone from building something that interferes with what we have planned to build.  With no sea claims does that mean some one can build in the water and block our ships in ?  So many questions that I can’t find any answers to but I guess that’s because wiping the servers are more important than fixing the current issues. They should have at least tried the new mechanics of the claim flags before doing a wipe, at least get a feel for whether the new system is going work make or break the game. Then possibly add new content and do a wipe if it feels like the game is stable and progression can begin.  

I have an idea.  It's a crazy idea but hear me out....

Launch a new server.  Let me spend $20 a month, and I get a whole grid entirely to myself.  It's mine and I'm the only one who can build there.  And then 224 OTHER players can do the same. 

Sometimes, subscriptions have a purpose.

Yes, this is mostly sarcastic... but only mostly.

• Like 2

On 3/2/2019 at 4:49 AM, =MGC=Ranger said:

I sailed for weeks to find a claimed piece of land, worked my ass off to build what I had. It was a great game while it lasted.

Everyone worked their ass off to build what they have. And some still work their ass off testing things and making plans to do better after the wipe. And the game isn't going anywhere, it still is a good game and will be an even better game.
Next time don't invest into Early Access games if you're not prepared for wipes  I guess?

2 hours ago, Daemon Cross said:

I want to be able to play the game as I choose to play it, if I don’t want to grind gold or fight ships of the damned then that should be my choice.  Why should I not allowed to build a base because I choose not to grind gold all the time ?

Because it is not a singleplayer game. If you are allowed to play the game however you like, then everyone else should be too. That includes those who want to destroy everything you have and laugh at you. You like that idea?

Also a few critical mistakes in your question:
"Why should I not allowed to build a base" You can still build a base, just not one spanning the entire island making others unable to build there.
" because I choose not to grind gold all the time " Not 'all the time'. Just sometimes is enough. I've spent 2 days farming gold a month ago. I still have 15k.

Edited by Icedlance

15 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

From Day 1 of Beta, EQ had massive platoons of CS people in the game.  The had a community manager posting all over the forums every day.  They had constant updates from the developers.

This has what to do with people using "i has job" as an excuse for not progressing?

you know why people were able to progress?  Because they didn't get wiped.

You're comparing a game that, by your own admission, was post-launch to a game that's still in early development.  Do I need to elaborate on how dumb that comparison is?

The launch of EQ isn't a good comparison for this.

Good thing I wasn't making that comparison then.  You must really like fish, though.  You're throwing red herrings all over the place.

I'm about fed up with people being unable to disagree and have a discussion without calling people whiners and crybabies, and yelling at them to "chill out". 

Then stop crying and chill out.

It's like I bought a refrigerator and complained to GE that the icemaker didn't work, and all the other purchasers came over to my house and told me to shut the hell up.  

What a shit analogy.

Let me give you an accurate analogy.

It's like you purchased a game that's in EARLY ACCESS and then threw a fit because development happened and now you're using the excuse of "i has job" to justify throwing your tantrum.  Oh, that's not an analogy, it's what you're doing.

The plans for the pve servers are a kick in the teeth to the players that play there.  There is nothing in them that is about "betterment of the game".  People are not "whining" they are attempting to point this out strongly enough that the devs reconsider, and it looks like that might be successful.

There are issues with the code.  Issues that cannot be fixed without a wipe.  The wipe is not solely to implement the changes.  It's also to address issues that cannot be fixed otherwise.  Hence for the "betterment of the game".  Just because you're too blinded by your tantrum to acknowledge this doesn't change that reality.

On the other hand, your whining about people whining has produced nothing of value at all.  Maybe you should reconsider too.

Oh bless, it's trying to be witty.

12 hours ago, =MGC=Ranger said:

WTF does this have to do with anything at all?

People keep using the excuse of "i has job" to justify their entitlement tantrum about characters being wiped.  What changed from 1999 to now that people in 1999 were able to progress and you're not able to now?  You think the people in 1999 didn't have jobs? Families? Friends? Lives outside the game?

All of this was covered in my post that you quote only the first sentence of.  Something tells me you didn't read pas that first sentence.  If you had, you wouldn't be asking what you've asked.

You all keep bringing up the fact jobs, families and real life keeps us from progressing. Jobs families and real life doesn’t stop us from progressing it just slows us down hence why we don’t want to lose what we’ve got. Some of us have found decent land and built nice bases. We don’t want to lose that because after the wipe there is nothing saying we will be able to find a place to build again.  

It’s kinda like flipping the scenes around, I’ve been here close to launch and got established and worked to have what I have, others ended up in lawless and complained about not having any place to build and having to deal with a four day timer. After the wipe it’s going to be another rush to grab as much of an area that you can to prevent others from building on it. Foundation spamming is taking the place of flag spamming. 

Now I know a lot of you say the wipe is necessary and a lot of us say it’s not, we’ve all pointed out that everything they mentioned in the live-stream and patch notes could be added without doing a wipe and to prove my point in the latest patch note it’s stated that they will be implementing some of the upcoming changes that were all supposed to be with the wipe a little at a time over the next few weeks.   

So again I am asking you to defend your statements about the wipe is needed, tell me what can not be added to the game unless it’s wiped ???????

Don’t say decay timers, that’s already in the game, don’t say removal of claim flags either because the code already exist, if I unclaim a flag it disappears, adding new content? If they can’t add new content without doing a wipe then something is seriously wrong.   I know they can’t change  the regions up, again that is a joke to, they have everything in the game that can change, the game is hosted on their servers, not our own. They can make changes to it just like someone who owns a unofficial server does, you want 6 islands per grid, sure no problem.

So why is the wipe needed again. Is it just to satisfy those who want to see others lose what they have been working on?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CazzT said:

6 hours ago, CazzT said:

This has what to do with people using "i has job" as an excuse for not progressing?

You're comparing a game that, by your own admission, was post-launch to a game that's still in early development.  Do I need to elaborate on how dumb that comparison is?

Good thing I wasn't making that comparison then.  You must really like fish, though.  You're throwing red herrings all over the place.

Then stop crying and chill out.

What a shit analogy.

Let me give you an accurate analogy.

It's like you purchased a game that's in EARLY ACCESS and then threw a fit because development happened and now you're using the excuse of "i has job" to justify throwing your tantrum.  Oh, that's not an analogy, it's what you're doing.

There are issues with the code.  Issues that cannot be fixed without a wipe.  The wipe is not solely to implement the changes.  It's also to address issues that cannot be fixed otherwise.  Hence for the "betterment of the game".  Just because you're too blinded by your tantrum to acknowledge this doesn't change that reality.

Pay attention.

This is not about not being able to make progress.  People with a lot of outside responsibilities understand that they will not progress as fast or as far as players with more time.  So your entire diatribe is based on a false premise.

You wanted to know what happened since 1999 and what changed?  Here's what you asked -

I wonder what changed between 1999 and now then.  People who played EQ1, a MMO known for it's excruciating grind and camp-for-items/quest updates, had jobs and they were able to progress without whining like petulant children

Again, pay attention.  The topic is not released game grinding and camping and progression.  The topic is early game server wipes.

I specifically referred to EQ beta.  Not post-launch.  (That was you)  I remember people in beta dying in masses due to a bad bug, and many many CS reps forming lines of hundreds of players in the starting zone and one by one handing them back their items.  I remember the devs pulling data backups to restore individual characters on demand as problems showed up.   I remember players being able to push a button, report a problem and have a CS rep standing in front of them, usually within 30 mins.   I remember devs on the forums every day saying "Here's what's happening, and this is WHY it's happening, and here's what the discussion around that decision was."  And in those days, people didn't pay money to alpha or beta test someone's game.

So, wonder no more about what happened.  Fast forward to today.  See the difference?  Maybe that kind of support was not sustainable as the industry grew, but the pendulum has swing too far the other way, in my opinion.  They could have done so many things to handle this so much better instead of showing a real lack of respect for the players, which in the end, would have made all the difference.  I'm not personally upset over the wipe, but many people are.  You know what helps a lot with that?  Time.  If you give people a bit of time to process it, most of them (while still feeling it was a bad move) will come to grips with it and keep going.  You know what doesn't help a lot with that?  When annoying forum jerks decide to hit every thread where someone is upset and berate them for being upset, when it's got nothing at all to do with them.

What is it they call that one kid, who goes looking for one who is already having a hard time with something and then picks and pokes at him ceaselessly trying to make it worse? 

6 hours ago, CazzT said:

Oh bless your heart, honey, don't even try that.

Edited by Winter Thorne
  • Like 1

Looking forward to a wipe, the base we have now is to big and the frame drop is to huge. 

Clean start is always fun 🙂

• Like 1

Lol, best reason I’ve heard yet for a wipe, I love it !!! Now I understand and agree wholeheartedly   the wipe needs to happen so you can start fresh.

• Like 1

Also, the wipe is NOT happening because of changes in "the code."  They outright said that.  If the code was changing in a way that required a wipe, then all private servers would have to wipe.  Everybody gets the same code.

The game engine, the map data, and the structure and character data (what we are calling progression) are all completely independent.  They are not the same thing at all and wildcard, when making the original engine, was actually quite smart in keeping them separate.

You can change the map without wiping the progression data.  I know because you can do it on private servers.  They've also done it on the official servers multiple times.  Every time they changed lawless into a home server, that's a map change.  Same to undo that.  Change spawn rate on whales?  Map change.  They change the map all the time.  You can even add entirely new islands without a problem, the game just knows to load that island on next bootup.

They've announced already that the primary reason for this wipe was their overly lax view on exploiters and cheaters, and they've included a vague promise to "do better" despite the fact that we got that vague promise 6 weeks ago that theyd do better when they added battleye.

Edited by Archsenex
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Daemon Cross said:

So you stated you logged 800 hours of game time in Atlas is that correct vs my 400 hours. I would be making the assumption that you acquired a lot amount of gold in that time and could probably afford to buy as much land as you wanted. I however did not accumulate more than a couple thousand gold in 400 hours and I know before you say it, “quit whining about not having gold, go do a treasure map, if you can’t do a couple treasure maps a week then perhaps this game isn’t for you or join a company that can help you do treasure maps for god sake it isn’t that hard” I’d say I nailed that one but the thing is, I want to be able to play the game as I choose to play it, if I don’t want to grind gold or fight ships of the damned then that should be my choice.  Why should I not allowed to build a base because I choose not to grind gold all the time ?

Nope, I wouldn't tell you that at all.

I'm a soloer. I have been playing by myself. It's been a long grueling road lemmie tell ya.  We need to start thinking out of the box. We need to stop being so negative at the mere mention of ANYTHING. Who says it's always ALL about gold and only about gold. It can be about whatever the community wants it to be based on. They mentioned making more quests for people for example. There could be rewards to pay a weeks tax if you do a quest or something. Or to purchase by doing a requirement task list. The possibilities are endless. You see what I'm getting at? I just brought forth the initial idea. It's very open for more ideas and tweaking to make it better.

Edited by Eve BlackVeil
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Daemon Cross said:

So again I am asking you to defend your statements about the wipe is needed, tell me what can not be added to the game unless it’s wiped ???????

They are changing maps, reshuffling islands, adding biomes, adding more islands.
Would you prefer to have your house intact but hanging in the air over the sea? Or maybe being stuck inside a mountain?

This is an early development stage where people playing the game are pretty much volunteer game testers. Seeing how they already wipe the entire map, wiping characters isn't that much of a big deal. It also helps them get more statistics on progression by making everyone go through it again. It's all around better for the future of the game.

Edited by Icedlance
  • Like 1

No, the wipe is NOT neccessary. Maybe some clans have some duped items... who cares ?

Game was fun in its current state, why kill a working system ?

• Like 1

You want to know the biggest thing that changed between 1999 and now?

People stopped holding companies responsible and started holding customers responsible.

Apple and Disney would be proud.

• Like 2

That’s strange bases in mountains, tames in floors, SOTD stuck in one another or partially submerged in the water, oh wait most of that already exist. What is one more issue that needs fixed to deal with. Wiping the servers isn’t fixing the issues, it’s giving people a fresh start to experience it all over again. 

The wipe is there way of cleaning the servers up, that doesn’t explain why we have to lose character progression, you stated so they get more statistics based on us leveling up again, I call bullshit on that one too, each time you reset your skills you basically leveled up again and they even added or are adding a thing you can purchase at Freeport’s to reset skills. So again that idea is bogus, do you have anything better because right now your reaching?

51 minutes ago, Talono said:

No, the wipe is NOT neccessary. Maybe some clans have some duped items... who cares ?

I care.....come at me bro. I prefer not to play with cheaters whenever possible. 

Also, your posts make you look dumb FYI. The reasons were clearly stated and very reasonable. 

Please regale us with your gaming industry experience and previous titles you contributed too.

Oh thats right, your just a trolololoool who doesnt know shit.

Also, why would anyone complain about releveling? You get max lvl really easily. I didnt spend anytime grinding and with very little hours comapred to a lot of people and I accidentally got max lvl. Easier than WOW and that was a joke. Lets try and act like weve been there before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Talono said:

Fallout 76, which I will admit IS Neck and Neck with atlas for several "Worst X" titles, Also had a massive problem with item Duping.

Their solution?  Delete the duplicated items.  Cause, you know, that way you target the problem.

GS has even said they want systemic solutions to problems rather than manual solutions.