Sign in to follow this  
True Sonja

wipe 30% player population drop compared to same time last week

https://steamcharts.com/app/834910#7d

Those numbers include both official and unofficial servers, so the chances are that the drop on official is higher than unofficial.

It will probably get worse over the next few days as people start to 'go out with a bang'

The biggest problem with the upcoming wipe is the wiping of characters, or more importantly the characters DP's. The real level grind in the game is search for and discovering as many of the DP's as possible which in turn lets you level up. People have literally spent hundreds of hours sailing from place to place to find these discovery points.

By wiping characters there is simply no reason to log in for the next 3 weeks, this will result in players trying other games, some will find a new crack, others will just not want to face searching for the same DP's again. End result is a much smaller player base after the wipe.

My suggestion is that they retain characters, set everybody's xp to 0, forced 'respec', wipe inventory, claims, tames, map etc so after the wipe everybody comes back with their characters as level 1's, with no xp and only retains their DP's.

This would also encourage everybody to keep playing and spending the next 3 weeks exploring the map and keeping player engagement.

Fail to do this and i generally think post wipe you will see a 30~50% player reduction than from before the wipe announcement.

• Like 1

How are discovery points supposed to remain if the islands are being completely overhauled? Unless there is a guarantee that all the discoveries currently in the game are going to still be in the game after the overhaul I don't see how it will work. I'm with you though it does suck. I have 200ish discoveries myself.

Edited by Writhes
  • Like 2

They could just leave you the credit but not increase the upper limit.  It gives you a head start without giving you a permanent advantage over others.

• Like 1

I doubt they will be changing the existing in game DP's, more likely they will just be adding new ones to the new islands. and revamp some of the existing islands with new biomes etc, but they will probably keep the existing islands and the placement of the existing bubbles. Afterall doing anything else is just creating a bunch of extra work for themselves and most game developers are pragmatic.

As far as I know, Atlas will be the first MMO in history to delete paying customers characters.

14 minutes ago, True Sonja said:

set everybody's xp to 0

Why? We already did that part of the game.

4 minutes ago, Iaxa DeVaux said:

As far as I know, Atlas will be the first MMO in history to delete paying customers characters.

*without clearly stating on their early access terms that you are purchasing into a test and not announcing wipes before you make the purchase.

I've done a lot of mmo alpha and betas.  They told you the test windows and wipe times ahead of time so you could play appropriately.

2 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

*without clearly stating on their early access terms that you are purchasing into a test and not announcing wipes before you make the purchase.

I've done a lot of mmo alpha and betas.  They told you the test windows and wipe times ahead of time so you could play appropriately.

My question to you would then be how many of those alpha, betas did you pay to be a part of. In no way claiming there has ever been any, but having done a handful myself since I've been playing online (1998 or so) I don't remember ever paying for them.

And I don't mind the wipe, I think there could be a way to wipe all but character progression and maybe even a way to prevent reforming of companies, that being said, I think the devs should bare more burden of bug fixes, more thought out pve claim system, and early mid lvl game content prior to initial wipe. Having to start from scratch dealing with the same game breaking bugs and the distinct possibility of new ones at this point with no more then they are offering in terms of claim fixes for the patch leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

And just because paying to alpha testing is becoming the norm, doesn't mean we can't attempt to hold the industry to a higher standard. Just because we are junkies don't mean we have to accept any old shit they willing to let us stick in our veins

Chances are the discovery points are on a table, so they would only be adding to them.

In all honesty i think that the suggestion to keep the discovery points is a very simple and a welcome thing. Even if it was only the discovery points from landfall and exploration and require you to once again kill whales and do powerstones that would be ok because it doesn't take a fee hundred hours to do those. But sailing from A to B and all the way through to Z multiple times after already having done it would be a killer. Starting at level 1 and having to earn the exp to get up would be completely fine by me. Getting boats etc and evedything else are relatively easy, but sailing is not especially when hostiles like to block you from doing that.

5 minutes ago, Huck Finnley said:

My question to you would then be how many of those alpha, betas did you pay to be a part of. In no way claiming there has ever been any, but having done a handful myself since I've been playing online (1998 or so) I don't remember ever paying for them.

Right now, or in general?

I'm currently in 3 that I purchased into as founders bonuses.  I actually paid way MORE than retail for them (most paid alpha access is a benefit for buying a premium tier).

Some you get it as a bonus for pre order.  You'll get like 3 weekends with a wipe for each. 

In total?  20?  30m I dunno.  Sometines I like to try new things. 

But in ALL of them, the wipes are laid out ahead of time, as part of the phasing schedule.  Even If they arent scheduled, they are EXPLICITLY mentioned before you purchase.

And no, not every ea wipes.  Hell, I'm still technically in a paid ea for fortnite (or did they release?) and they haven't wiped...  

Edited by Archsenex

15 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

Right now, or in general?

I'm currently in 3 that I purchased into as founders bonuses.  I actually paid way MORE than retail for them (most paid alpha access is a benefit for buying a premium tier).

Some you get it as a bonus for pre order.  You'll get like 3 weekends with a wipe for each. 

In total?  20?  30m I dunno.  Sometines I like to try new things. 

But in ALL of them, the wipes are laid out ahead of time, as part of the phasing schedule.  Even If they arent scheduled, they are EXPLICITLY mentioned before you purchase.

And no, not every ea wipes.  Hell, I'm still technically in a paid ea for fortnite (or did they release?) and they haven't wiped...  

Yeah after I posted that I remembered that I think I payed for beta access of SWTOR online years ago. But in that instance I don't remember a wipe, and that game went through a ton of major revamps

32 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

Most MMORPGS do wipe before release, but those are true MMORPG, this is more a MMOBG (Massive Multiplayer Online Building Game) , a pretty core component of this game is farming, collecting and building along with exploration and on PvP server, PvP.

I don't recall a survival building game of this size having done a wipe during EA phase after being 'live' for multiple months. I think ARK wiped, but that was a week after launch or something? They didn't even wipe characters when they updated parts of the maps causing some players to lose their homes/resources.

1 hour ago, True Sonja said:

https://steamcharts.com/app/834910#7d

Those numbers include both official and unofficial servers, so the chances are that the drop on official is higher than unofficial.

It will probably get worse over the next few days as people start to 'go out with a bang'

The biggest problem with the upcoming wipe is the wiping of characters, or more importantly the characters DP's. The real level grind in the game is search for and discovering as many of the DP's as possible which in turn lets you level up. People have literally spent hundreds of hours sailing from place to place to find these discovery points.

By wiping characters there is simply no reason to log in for the next 3 weeks, this will result in players trying other games, some will find a new crack, others will just not want to face searching for the same DP's again. End result is a much smaller player base after the wipe.

My suggestion is that they retain characters, set everybody's xp to 0, forced 'respec', wipe inventory, claims, tames, map etc so after the wipe everybody comes back with their characters as level 1's, with no xp and only retains their DP's.

This would also encourage everybody to keep playing and spending the next 3 weeks exploring the map and keeping player engagement.

Fail to do this and i generally think post wipe you will see a 30~50% player reduction than from before the wipe announcement.

Wow. You are completely wrong. There has been a complete nose dive on the numbers at a steady pace this whole time. It has nothing to do with a wipe.

in fact, after the wipe was announced, that was the first time I saw a small upward spike.

thia wipe is definitely a good thing. It will get rid of the people who don’t want to lose their stuff. Those types of players you never want to be in your game.

the wipe is the best thing that could have happened to atlas. And yeah, they don’t want the old players to keep playing. Mainly anyone that was still around were cheaters/exploiters/Megas. None of those mentioned are anything good for the game.

they want the people that left to come back, because those are the people that will actually give feedback worth having.

most mmos also tell you there in beta or alpha most big game company's when they say EA its the full game no wipes that's what your average player is used to anthem and the division 2 coming out both have an EA there will be no wipes every mmo i have played with beta or alpha made it vary clear all over there page this is alpha or this is beta

that spike is because the X6

1 hour ago, Huck Finnley said:

And I don't mind the wipe, I think there could be a way to wipe all but character progression and maybe even a way to prevent reforming of companies, that being said, I think the devs should bare more burden of bug fixes, more thought out pve claim system, and early mid lvl game content prior to initial wipe. Having to start from scratch dealing with the same game breaking bugs and the distinct possibility of new ones at this point with no more then they are offering in terms of claim fixes for the patch leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

And just because paying to alpha testing is becoming the norm, doesn't mean we can't attempt to hold the industry to a higher standard. Just because we are junkies don't mean we have to accept any old shit they willing to let us stick in our veins

Nah. A wipe is a wipe. All progression reset for better testing of the new setup. Just remember, you are a tester, not a player

Will drop a lot more when people realize that everything they do, farm and build from now on in Atlas is not persistent.

No progress is possible, everything is in vain, pointless and lost.

Why logging in again ? For a last view on the mighty warfleet that will be crushed by Wildcard on the 20th ?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Talono said:

Will drop a lot more when people realize that everything they do, farm and build from now on in Atlas is not persistent.

No progress is possible, everything is in vain, pointless and lost.

Why logging in again ? For a last view on the mighty warfleet that will be crushed by Wildcard on the 20th ?

to make some screenshots yeah but other than that its pointless. i think i will troll my neighbour one last time

Edited by TheCoolGuy

I don't get all these "Don't wipe meh progress!" threads.

Let me illustrate how dumb they are with 2 scenarios:

1) You've played 2 hundred hours, they don't wipe the servers, you continue playing 20 hours/week

2) You've played 2 hundred hours, they do wipe the servers, you continue playing 20 hours/week

See.  Not really that different is it?

The game has potential without question, 
but if that is not used that can quickly go down the drain. 
The planning is not clean, especially to announce a wipe to come in the middle / end of March. 
Do the developers think that still who is playing now?

This say it all: Steam Chart Atlas

Max. 2 Month the Game is Dead, many Dev´s Error and Miss Planing

I have 837 Hours in this Game, and all time be wasted.

Edited by Razalon
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Razalon said:

he game has potential without question, 
but if that is not used that can quickly go down the drain. 
The planning is not clean, especially to announce a wipe to come in the middle / end of March. 
Do the developers think that still who is playing now?

Max. 2 Month the Game is Dead, many Dev´s Error and Miss Planing

‘Wasted’. I always like it when people say that. 

2 minutes ago, Percieval said:

‘Wasted’. I always like it when people say that. 

i know its EA

It's about announcing a wipe that will come in a few weeks. There will hardly be another player until then.

Edited by Razalon
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Razalon said:

Who will play the game after the announcement? Is wasted time playing the game right now.

Now the game dies really hard!

Must say I have that feeling to. Was logged in and the claim where I life was running out. Other company tryed to claim like me. They logged off I logged off same thing later when both where logged in again  and thinking why... It is not that I have it... They can build anyway in my claim if I win.. later in month I have to start at zero again... We talked about it and give him the claim went to my boat and thinking what will I do.. thinking nah not going to play and waist my progress. And started black desert online. I would play but but the feeling of no progress stop me from playing.

Well guys, remember that at the start we will be able to respawn in any server we want without the need of a bed or get there sailing. So recovering a lot of dp back will be pretty easy unless you have an insane amount of them. 

In my case i didn't want a wipe at all, but now i think it's for the best. Official servers were heading to a quick dead the way things were going anyway. Who cares if i have to level up again knowing what i know now, if that brings the game back to life.

Edited by znasser

Wow Only 8200 max players before the announcement ? well +200 islands after the wipe for around 2000 players. I think you can farm xp on your own island with no risk for a raid anyway. ^^

Edited by Chocolatine

I have 608 hours playing, playing alone I got all the power stones, I just lacked the ghost ship that was preparing to go for it and now erase the whole game, good luck with the project, I do not want to start again , and think about hitting me again to catch flags, no thanks.