Sign in to follow this  
Writhes

Pirate game?

3 hours ago, CazzT said:

I don't recall pirates taming bears, elephants, lions, tigers, giraffes, etc.

I don't recall pirates building large forts or shipyards.

I don't recall pirates fighting a giant kraken or dragons or undead.

I don't recall pirates actually finding the fabled Fountain of Youth.

The pirates in your world sound a lot more awesome and badass than the pirates in the world I live in (the real world).

Trion tried this crap with Defiance.  It didn't work.  The game is still going, but it's a shell of what was promised.

I generally don’t admit this in public but I actually played defiance for a while. Never saw even a single episode of the show but that was partly because the game didn’t impress me very much. It was one of those things you do for a while to placate a friend before finally going back to real games.

3 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

You can still PvP.  Just not on land.  You have to hunt for ships on the ocean.

Something had to change.  Most people are NOT going to play a game of "who can stay up the latest."  AI is horrible at protecting your base, no matter how much of it you have.  People were tired of logging in to find that somebody raided them while the slept, sinking ships, killing tames, and taking everything of value, and sometimes even foundation wiping.  While you may feel restricted, and leave, this will bring a lot of players back, because offline raiding was the number one game mechanic complaint of those who left.

Yup, and those ships you used to find on the ocean going off to raid wont be there anymore. Meaning less ship v ship fights. Few days of searching fruitlessly will kill off those captain's drive for the game too. 

I guess you're assuming that those players that have left already are following patch notes and can muster up the interest to give the game another go a few months down the line. There may be a short term spike (week or so for the 'I cant find an Island' upset on the forums), but I think these changes are going to do more damage to the existing player base than will be made up by people thinking they can come back for a real MMORPG experience. Hell, Saturdays peak players was 9k. Down from 14k last weekend. 
https://steamcharts.com/app/834910#1m

15 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

I generally don’t admit this in public but I actually played defiance for a while.

I played it very early one, when the show was just starting.  I liked the idea of tying a show and a MMO together.  Too bad Trion bungled that.

15 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Never saw even a single episode of the show

No worries, you didn't miss anything.  In fact, you're probably better off for not seeing any episodes.  Can't say the same for myself.  =/ 

20 minutes ago, CazzT said:

I played it very early one, when the show was just starting.  I liked the idea of tying a show and a MMO together.  Too bad Trion bungled that.

No worries, you didn't miss anything.  In fact, you're probably better off for not seeing any episodes.  Can't say the same for myself.  =/ 

I am a big fan of the sci fi writer David Weber (his world building and plotting is excellent, his characters are often too similar and they all chuckle too much. You could make a decent drinking game of reading any of his books and taking a drink any time a character chuckles. But I digress). His Safehold series is on it's tenth book and still going strong. I am divided on the notion of it being turned into a tv series. On the one hand if done well I think it could be amazing. On the other I don't want to see it done wrong.

On 3/3/2019 at 8:00 AM, BumbleBumble said:

Yup, and those ships you used to find on the ocean going off to raid wont be there anymore. Meaning less ship v ship fights. Few days of searching fruitlessly will kill off those captain's drive for the game too. 

I guess you're assuming that those players that have left already are following patch notes and can muster up the interest to give the game another go a few months down the line. There may be a short term spike (week or so for the 'I cant find an Island' upset on the forums), but I think these changes are going to do more damage to the existing player base than will be made up by people thinking they can come back for a real MMORPG experience. Hell, Saturdays peak players was 9k. Down from 14k last weekend. 
https://steamcharts.com/app/834910#1m

The problem is that you think the only reason to be on the sea, is raiding.  The game is going to fundamentally change.  You will still go to farm resources not on your island, and you will still go to powerstone islands, etc...  There are many reasons to go to sea.  Raiding was only one of them.

On 3/2/2019 at 8:18 PM, boomervoncannon said:

But if you're living on a prayer (sorry my gf is a hardcore Bon Jovi fan), Ubisoft does have Skull and Bones in the works. Don't worry, I'm sure the fact a game that isn't even released yet but already has a TV show based on it in the works isn't a huge red flag for possible overhype underdeliver.

https://skullandbones.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/home/

I watched the demo trailer and while it has pretty graphics the game play looks shallow, so over-hyped and under-delivered is probably spot on. I'm left with the distinct impression you can't even leave your boat. It's early yet so who knows. Sure, a true pirate game should be mostly at sea but pirates did have to leave their ship eventually just like anyone else. 

I'd love to be wrong about it, because I want some good ship to ship combat against something other than the floaty fog monsters we have here. 

20 minutes ago, Warspectre said:

I watched the demo trailer and while it has pretty graphics the game play looks shallow, so over-hyped and under-delivered is probably spot on. I'm left with the distinct impression you can't even leave your boat. It's early yet so who knows. Sure, a true pirate game should be mostly at sea but pirates did have to leave their ship eventually just like anyone else. 

I'd love to be wrong about it, because I want some good ship to ship combat against something other than the floaty fog monsters we have here. 

Now I really wanna start a company called Floaty Fog Monsters.

• Like 1

The only one that really tried to make a pirate game is SOT. Really look past the game, but to give it pure PVP was impossible to attract the Xbox players. The rest where just yes and no, this is good this is not. To give us the real pirate game on sea will mean lots will be lost.... so mix it with some balance of PVE to flavor the MMO type just do no KILL us with PVE farming like what this game is doing...

I do not want to be riding a elephant for 2 hrs farming wood so i can build a city... Or searching for twigs for 100 hrs to build enough planks... really?

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 2:21 PM, BumbleBumble said:

Why is it dumb to do what you enjoy and dodge what you don't? That also may be the only time scales they can play? Doesn't that also potentially disrupt mixing EU/NA/OA players together for example?

It is actually what would allow you to mix the servers together. Because every settlement owner gets to set the raid times to their schedule it means that a Na timed player could play next to an eu timed player and if the set their raid times to their play times the na player couldn't raid the EU player unless he raided them on the EU players schedule.

Is their way of saying we will only make you vulnerable during the times your company plays so no douche monkey can raid you at 3am your time while you are sleeping.

5 hours ago, microphobe said:

It is actually what would allow you to mix the servers together. Because every settlement owner gets to set the raid times to their schedule it means that a Na timed player could play next to an eu timed player and if the set their raid times to their play times the na player couldn't raid the EU player unless he raided them on the EU players schedule.

Is their way of saying we will only make you vulnerable during the times your company plays so no douche monkey can raid you at 3am your time while you are sleeping.

You're assuming mixing involves cohabitation. Instead of having multiple timezone players in the same company. For example, we have a few night shift players that come on around 6am eu time for a few hours every day. They'd be blocked out from raiding anyone around us, if they also share EU timezone primes (I assume most EU companies will use an EU timezone as raid times). That's an entire aspect of the game removed from them now, as they're playing in a period where the servers are quiet anyway thus the likely hood of finding pvp is low. 

My issue is this: Now, if you don't play at the peak times, you're completely locked out of a portion of the game. They may as well be playing on the PVE server, if farming/pve is all they should do according to previous responses here. 

Edited by BumbleBumble
  • Like 1

On 3/4/2019 at 9:39 PM, Captain Jack Shadow said:

The problem is that you think the only reason to be on the sea, is raiding.  The game is going to fundamentally change.  You will still go to farm resources not on your island, and you will still go to powerstone islands, etc...  There are many reasons to go to sea.  Raiding was only one of them.

Could you list these reasons? 

Why would I still go to power stone islands? Once it's been collected already and the stupid fountain naked run. 
Farming resources not on the island, yes, might have to do that once every 2 weeks maybe if you're burning through BP's (hopefully finding pvp/raiding). 

34 minutes ago, BumbleBumble said:

Could you list these reasons? 

Why would I still go to power stone islands? Once it's been collected already and the stupid fountain naked run. 
Farming resources not on the island, yes, might have to do that once every 2 weeks maybe if you're burning through BP's (hopefully finding pvp/raiding). 

Taming, trade, farming resources, getting seeds, exploring, treasure maps...

Guys the ONLY valid PVP game mode is very very easy : all lawless

The new system is auto fail.

6 hours ago, microphobe said:

Taming, trade, farming resources, getting seeds, exploring, treasure maps...

I believe D12 had gems. Gems on a restricted building islands is so amazing.

Edited by Writhes