Sign in to follow this  
Writhes

Pirate game?

2 minutes ago, Back Stabbath said:

I would appreciate it if you left the discussion to the pvp players . Thank you. Unless you are reffering to the pve server .

Ok bye then carebear casual. Don't forget your carebear casual tampons on the way out.

Edited by Writhes

28 minutes ago, Writhes said:

Ok bye then carebear casual. Don't forget your carebear casual tampons on the way out.

"casual tampons" there it is....because if you play longer hours..its like a skill right? lol

I mean if you play 12 hours more you should just just win..ability shouldn't matter...why should someone be rewarded for their ability to play..or think..or strategize.. what kind of shit game would that be.

Fucking Ark players. You can spot em a mile away.

• Like 1

Atlas can be far more accurately described as a Seafaring High-Fantasy Survival RPG than as a “Pirate” Game. Plenty of Pirate games already exist, but as with Ark, Wildcard/Grapeshot have opted for a much wider scope that provides a unique experience which most Game Studios don’t have the guts to attempt creating.

Edited by CyanicEmber
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Writhes said:

These are changes and rules that look good on a surface level but they will create a stale pvp environment and encourage players to work around the rules and abuse them to their fullest extent.

Lets pretend offline raiding protection is added to the game. What is to prevent players from creating a ghost alliance where they simply have all their structures pincoded in one company and players just use another allied company?

If boats are immune to damage anchored then players will just store their valuables inside their anchored ships at all times.

Declaring war hurts small companies because they lose their ability to attack spontaneously and this turns the game into "how many people can show up at this time of the day".  A numbers game that the largest company will always win.

Sorry but people that think this is stuff that helps casual companies and players seeking to escape from griefing you are sadly mistaken. All these changes will ultimately do is create a stagnant dull pvp environment that's impossible for small companies to engage in and further protect large companies.

Cant be any worse than offline raid meta

I would much rather my land be taken by zerg, than just claimed while I'm offline. 

And as for those orp exploits you mentioned, they would almost all be solved if you just cant use orp pin codes, pretty easy fix. 

You'd then only be able to store extra stuff in an alt account that you have to log in to get to the stuff. 

In any case they aren't doing orp exactly, the 9 hour system will be better, since you wont feel like you got your stuff raided, cuz you wanted to plant some more crops or something. 

Instead it will be designated time for you to defend. 

This new system actually allows for the formation of true Empires which will rise and fall with the passage of time. That sounds pretty cool to be. 

20 hours ago, Writhes said:

Grapeshot, "Let's make a pirate game but instead of allowing pirates to be anarchists that ignore the rules of society they become landlords."

Playerbase, "Wtf?".

Grapeshot, "Oh yeah and now you have to declare war before you can attack peoples land. Pirates always declare war before they attack!"

Playerbase, "Wtf?"

Grapeshot, "Oh yeah and now if you anchor a boat on the land you own your boat becomes god mode because landlords err... I mean pirates shouldn't attack an unmanned boat that's naughty."

Playerbase, "..."

Unfortunately, Meta players ruin pirate games.

Grapeshot: Let's make a game where people will build impressive bases, and ports, with cannons, and stuff, and they will build all manner of ships, and they will have huge fights and it will be epic.

Meta Gamers:  Fuck that...hey guys, let's stay up late tonight, and raid those people's base when they all go to sleep.

Grapeshot:  WTF?

• Like 1

Grapeshot only knows ark.

Gaming community wanted what they were saying.  They really could have made something good if they made land not important.

Current state is this is a land based game with 80% of the land removed. They could have called it medieval conquest where boats are just for invasion and it would have been more accurate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LifelessGamer said:

Current state is this is a land based game with 80% of the land removed. They could have called it medieval conquest where boats are just for invasion and it would have been more accurate.

In the same way that burnt toast, runny eggs and stale coffee house would be more accurate but doesn’t fit on the sign, so they just stick with Waffle House.

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

In the same way that burnt toast, runny eggs and stale coffee house would be more accurate but doesn’t fit on the sign, so they just stick with Waffle House.

People gave grageshot a chance.  Only people who want ark play ark.  Tricking customers is a bad stagy.  40k server population lol.  That can't even happen now.  Bets?.....

Most would show some sort of shame.

Really comical in those defending.

• Like 1

Just now, LifelessGamer said:

People gave grageshot a chance.  Only people who want ark play ark.  Tricking customers is a bad stagy.  40k server population lol.  That can't even happen now.  Bets?.....

Most would show some sort of shame.

Really comical in those defending.

I was neither defending nor attacking, merely making a Waffle House joke.

Just now, boomervoncannon said:

I was neither defending nor attacking, merely making a Waffle House joke.

Easy to play off after the joke failed miserably right.  Like atlas.

See what I did there?

Just now, LifelessGamer said:

Easy to play off after the joke failed miserably right.  Like atlas.

See what I did there?

Just because you didn't get the joke cause you were so focused on slamming the developers doesn't mean  others didn't. 😛

17 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Just because you didn't get the joke cause you were so focused on slamming the developers doesn't mean  others didn't. 😛

Waffles, coffee , and eggs unpalatable.  Sounds like a new chef not a company why puts out chain after chain and patch after patch.

Maybe you just expect much lower from company and places.

2 minutes ago, LifelessGamer said:

Waffles, coffee , and eggs unpalatable.  Sounds like a new chef not a company why puts out chain after chain and patch after patch.

Maybe you just expect much lower from company and places.

Okay the notion that an actual chef would EVER work at a Waffle House is WAY funnier than anything I came up with. Well done sir.

I cant wait until they make a pirate game, this one is turning out to be just a pve game like conan and ark... Hopefully they see what ppl like. I am sure other AAA devs will make one eventually.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sneakydude said:

I cant wait until they make a pirate game, this one is turning out to be just a pve game like conan and ark... Hopefully they see what ppl like. I am sure other AAA devs will make one eventually.

AAA gaming is busy imploding on itself.  EA actively has various governments investigating it's lootbox practices for how it may very well constitute encouraging minors to gamble. Bethesda is basking in the warm glow of Fallout 76's success and UbiSoft seems to be nervously enjoying not actively being pursued by legal authorities or your former fans with pitchforks. Let's see if The Division 2 turns out to be AAA gaming's savior. Ehh who am I kidding, with Anthem looking like it might go down the tubes EA is probably toast no matter what. Good riddance.

But if you're living on a prayer (sorry my gf is a hardcore Bon Jovi fan), Ubisoft does have Skull and Bones in the works. Don't worry, I'm sure the fact a game that isn't even released yet but already has a TV show based on it in the works isn't a huge red flag for possible overhype underdeliver.

https://skullandbones.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/home/

Dragons though.... whyyyyy dragons. Only people using them are the major companies to end fights before they start. 

Not sure this ORP change will do anything for the population. Just means the people coming on for pvp wont log on at particular times of the day. So for example, I can look at my discord and say there's 10 people playing atm. But once the war changes go live, there'll be maybe half of that playing when they cant hit someone. Meaning that then the more casual players won't see there friends online and will probably head over to rocket league instead (for example). 

. There are places for the taming/trading community. They exist in the entities big enough to protect them. 

5 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Let's see if The Division 2 turns out to be AAA gaming's savior. Ehh who am I kidding, with Anthem looking like it might go down the tubes EA is probably toast no matter what. Good riddance.

Nah, EA has Fifa. A yearly gold mine. I agree with everything else you said though. 

Edited by BumbleBumble

11 minutes ago, BumbleBumble said:

Dragons though.... whyyyyy dragons. Only people using them are the major companies to end fights before they start. 

Not sure this ORP change will do anything for the population. Just means the people coming on for pvp wont log on at particular times of the day. So for example, I can look at my discord and say there's 10 people playing atm. But once the war changes go live, there'll be maybe half of that playing when they cant hit someone. Meaning that then the more casual players won't see there friends online and will probably head over to rocket league instead (for example). 

. There are places for the taming/trading community. They exist in the entities big enough to protect them. 

Nah, EA has Fifa. A yearly gold mine. I agree with everything else you said though. 

Yeah FIFA is the game that Belgium literally just forced EA to stop offering lootboxes in. EA is actually trying to challenge Belgium's interpretation of it's OWN LAW. That isn't the act of a well run company with good intentions towards it's customers and concern for maintaining it's reputation in the marketplace. It's the heroin junkie who breaks into your house to steal your TV even though everyone and their brother knows you keep an armed pitbull with AIDS on the premises. EA is a drowning man of a company right now. FIFA is admittedly a better life preserver than you and I will ever see, but I doubt it's gonna save many folks with cushy corner offices when the blood starts to flow.

Part of the point is that while FIFA is admittedly a cash cow, as a publicly traded company EA has put itself in an untenable long term position where it not only has to keep making money, but has to keep making more money every financial quarter. Expect a major house cleaning when the wheels come off and shareholders (read: hedge fund managers) fire top executives. What emerges from the other side is anyone's guess, but it's unlikely to closely resemble the company that is one of the main reasons the term AAA gaming exists.

Edited by boomervoncannon

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

AAA gaming is busy imploding on itself.  EA actively has various governments investigating it's lootbox practices for how it may very well constitute encouraging minors to gamble. Bethesda is basking in the warm glow of Fallout 76's success and UbiSoft seems to be nervously enjoying not actively being pursued by legal authorities or your former fans with pitchforks. Let's see if The Division 2 turns out to be AAA gaming's savior. Ehh who am I kidding, with Anthem looking like it might go down the tubes EA is probably toast no matter what. Good riddance.

But if you're living on a prayer (sorry my gf is a hardcore Bon Jovi fan), Ubisoft does have Skull and Bones in the works. Don't worry, I'm sure the fact a game that isn't even released yet but already has a TV show based on it in the works isn't a huge red flag for possible overhype underdeliver.

Looks cool but like everything out there its another one of those promised games i bet.

2 hours ago, BumbleBumble said:

Then they are dumb.  This will be good times to go get things done.  Harvest resources on other islands...they won't be paranoid about an attack.  Go do end game stuff.  Build ships, add defenses, etc...  That is what is wrong with this community...they think every moment must be attacking and defending.  There should be more to the game than that.

1 hour ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Then they are dumb.  This will be good times to go get things done.  Harvest resources on other islands...they won't be paranoid about an attack.  Go do end game stuff.  Build ships, add defenses, etc...  That is what is wrong with this community...they think every moment must be attacking and defending.  There should be more to the game than that.

Why is it dumb to do what you enjoy and dodge what you don't? That also may be the only time scales they can play? Doesn't that also potentially disrupt mixing EU/NA/OA players together for example? 
Who hasn't done the end game stuff already? 

I'll farm on a Saturday for 2/3 hours and then spend the rest of the week going out to pvp, because farming isn't my favourite activity. Does that mean I'm dumb? Think you're being a bit close minded Captain =[

Edited by BumbleBumble

On 3/1/2019 at 7:16 PM, Writhes said:

Grapeshot, "Let's make a pirate game but instead of allowing pirates to be anarchists that ignore the rules of society they become landlords."

Playerbase, "Wtf?".

Grapeshot, "Oh yeah and now you have to declare war before you can attack peoples land. Pirates always declare war before they attack!"

Playerbase, "Wtf?"

Grapeshot, "Oh yeah and now if you anchor a boat on the land you own your boat becomes god mode because landlords err... I mean pirates shouldn't attack an unmanned boat that's naughty."

Playerbase, "..."

I don't recall pirates taming bears, elephants, lions, tigers, giraffes, etc.

I don't recall pirates building large forts or shipyards.

I don't recall pirates fighting a giant kraken or dragons or undead.

I don't recall pirates actually finding the fabled Fountain of Youth.

The pirates in your world sound a lot more awesome and badass than the pirates in the world I live in (the real world).

4 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Trion tried this crap with Defiance.  It didn't work.  The game is still going, but it's a shell of what was promised.

3 hours ago, BumbleBumble said:

Why is it dumb to do what you enjoy and dodge what you don't? That also may be the only time scales they can play? Doesn't that also potentially disrupt mixing EU/NA/OA players together for example? 
Who hasn't done the end game stuff already? 

I'll farm on a Saturday for 2/3 hours and then spend the rest of the week going out to pvp, because farming isn't my favourite activity. Does that mean I'm dumb? Think you're being a bit close minded Captain =[

You can still PvP.  Just not on land.  You have to hunt for ships on the ocean.

Something had to change.  Most people are NOT going to play a game of "who can stay up the latest."  AI is horrible at protecting your base, no matter how much of it you have.  People were tired of logging in to find that somebody raided them while the slept, sinking ships, killing tames, and taking everything of value, and sometimes even foundation wiping.  While you may feel restricted, and leave, this will bring a lot of players back, because offline raiding was the number one game mechanic complaint of those who left.

The pirating I might presume should only be possible in ships at sea...! Land = war - pirates didn't do this. Sea = pirates - period. They must implement areas AT SEA that allow players to stalk hunt and kill other players (in pvp) and loot their stuff. They can have certain areas that must be crossed to get to specific ports or the such like that are lawless on pvp maps. These areas would show in red on the main map. Small companies can thereby benefit by raiding delivery ships etc - this means that if a corp wants to sell or move their gear/supplies they are going to have to go in fleets if they want to protect such gear/supplies. Of course such red map areas would be a lucrative addition to any region that a corp wants to own an island, the places where islands are nearer to such red zones, the more valuable possibly those islands would become. 

J

19 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

You can still PvP.  Just not on land.  You have to hunt for ships on the ocean.

Something had to change.  Most people are NOT going to play a game of "who can stay up the latest."  AI is horrible at protecting your base, no matter how much of it you have.  People were tired of logging in to find that somebody raided them while the slept, sinking ships, killing tames, and taking everything of value, and sometimes even foundation wiping.  While you may feel restricted, and leave, this will bring a lot of players back, because offline raiding was the number one game mechanic complaint of those who left.

If this is the case then its perfect. 

• Like 1