Sign in to follow this  
Writhes

Pirate game?

Grapeshot, "Let's make a pirate game but instead of allowing pirates to be anarchists that ignore the rules of society they become landlords."

Playerbase, "Wtf?".

Grapeshot, "Oh yeah and now you have to declare war before you can attack peoples land. Pirates always declare war before they attack!"

Playerbase, "Wtf?"

Grapeshot, "Oh yeah and now if you anchor a boat on the land you own your boat becomes god mode because landlords err... I mean pirates shouldn't attack an unmanned boat that's naughty."

Playerbase, "..."

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Writhes said:

Grapeshot, "Let's make a pirate game but instead of allowing pirates to be anarchists that ignore the rules of society they become landlords."

Playerbase, "Wtf?".

Grapeshot, "Oh yeah and now you have to declare war before you can attack peoples land. Pirates always declare war before they attack!"

Playerbase, "Wtf?"

Grapeshot, "Oh yeah and now if you anchor a boat on the land you own your boat becomes god mode because landlords err... I mean pirates shouldn't attack an unmanned boat that's naughty."

Playerbase, "..."

Wait till offline raid protection comes. Yeah, it’s coming.

Playerbase, "Wtf?".

Pirate havens are ports or harbors that are a safe place for pirates to repair their vessels, resupply, recruit, spend their plunder, avoid capture, and/or lie in wait for merchant ships to pass by. The areas have governments that are unable or unwilling to enforce maritime laws. This creates favorable conditions for piracy.  Notable ones were: Port Royal, St. Mary’s Island, Tortuga, Clew Bay, New Providence, and Barataria Bay.

Playerbase, "Wtf?"

It's PvP.  Can't have PvP if you are attacking an unmanned base.  In this case game play trumps reality.

Playerbase, "..."

Maybe real pirates wouldn't.  But again, game play trumps reality; and again it is PvP, have to have other players or else it's just Pv?.

Edited by Draalei
  • Like 6

I often see the misconception that everyone in the game is supposed to be a pirate, but that's simply not the case. It's a game that includes, enables and encourages piracy but does not limit you to that role.

The game requires all kinds of players to thrive - people that want to build governments, people that want to create empires through conquest, people that want to trade or farm or just build, etc.

These are the people that pirates prey upon that need to exist and also be enabled and encouraged to fill their own desired roles. After all, if everyone is a pirate then no one is a pirate.

• Like 6

Personally I think it's a positive change. There is very little PVP right now, it's PVYS. Players versus your stuff while you're offline. Survival games have fallen into a niche catering to players that used to get banned from most games, griefers. Maybe they want to appeal to a wider audience than the angsty losers that raid at 5 am?

It’s never good is it. For the last 3 months people have made over a hundred threads that the idea of the new claiming system is the right way to go. And now we’ll probably see 100 of these threads saying the opposite. I love it. 

Edited by Percieval
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Kidori said:

I often see the misconception that everyone in the game is supposed to be a pirate, but that's simply not the case. It's a game that includes, enables and encourages piracy but does not limit you to that role.

The game requires all kinds of players to thrive - people that want to build governments, people that want to create empires through conquest, people that want to trade or farm or just build, etc.

These are the people that pirates prey upon that need to exist and also be enabled and encouraged to fill their own desired roles. After all, if everyone is a pirate then no one is a pirate.

this I don't want to be a pirate I want to be a pet trader/breeder or maybe try being a trader and just enjoy a sailing game, like if I have a run in with ppl in the high sea and I get pirated there i can live with that but pirates didn't burn villages down for fear of the royal navy(s) or armies hunting them  down so with out a government to rebel against r they really being pirates or just following the rules of "Its pvp"? so in that sense there following the rule so there not pirates 

Maybe the OP should reread how the game was announced on steam:

ATLAS: The ultimate survival MMO of unprecedented scale with 40,000+ simultaneous players in the same world. Join an endless adventure of piracy & sailing, exploration & combat, roleplaying & progression, settlement & civilization-building, in one of the largest game worlds ever! Explore, Build, Conquer!

Piracy is just one aspect among many others. But ppl continue to call the game a "hardcore" survival game just to justify their griefing. So it is very good that Grapeshot tries to shift the game from a griefers-haven to a more settlement and civilization-building game, which is influenced by piracy.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Writhes said:

Playerbase, "Wtf?".

Playerbase, "Wtf?"

Playerbase, "..."

I also am the playerbase and i don't feel this way.

They are trying their best to find a good solution.

Maybe you can come up with a good solution and we will see what the "Playerbase" has to say.

These are changes and rules that look good on a surface level but they will create a stale pvp environment and encourage players to work around the rules and abuse them to their fullest extent.

Lets pretend offline raiding protection is added to the game. What is to prevent players from creating a ghost alliance where they simply have all their structures pincoded in one company and players just use another allied company?

If boats are immune to damage anchored then players will just store their valuables inside their anchored ships at all times.

Declaring war hurts small companies because they lose their ability to attack spontaneously and this turns the game into "how many people can show up at this time of the day".  A numbers game that the largest company will always win.

Sorry but people that think this is stuff that helps casual companies and players seeking to escape from griefing you are sadly mistaken. All these changes will ultimately do is create a stagnant dull pvp environment that's impossible for small companies to engage in and further protect large companies.

Edited by Writhes
  • Like 1

What I don't understand is that they  already have 2 PVE servers and now they are converting the only 2 pvp servers to pve too.

This is garbage.

SOrry you got wiped. Build a better base, sorry you couldnt keep your land, join a better company. Sorry you didnt win the game, here we will socialize everything.

Fuck off.. now you have to actually pvp. Hitting empty buildings with cannons is not pvp, idiot. Its the most boring form of PVE imaginable.

27 minutes ago, Back Stabbath said:

Fuck off.. now you have to actually pvp. Hitting empty buildings with cannons is not pvp, idiot. Its the most boring form of PVE imaginable.

Pvp with no rules > pvp with rules.

1 hour ago, Writhes said:

Pvp with no rules > pvp with rules.

population > dead game,  player vs player > player vs empty building , skill vs skill >  # hours online vS # hours online

Edited by Back Stabbath

28 minutes ago, Back Stabbath said:

population > dead game,  player vs player > player vs empty building , skill vs skill >  # hours online vS # hours online

There's no guarantee the current pvp rules are effecting the games overall population or that changing them will not make the situation worse.

Yes, people can raid empty buildings if they choose but who cares? That's something that has been a part of the survival genre for years. Part of the fun is finding ways to protect yourself from offline raids or getting revenge for being offline raided. Survival games have never been about simulating death match scenarios as if it was call of duty or guarantee you would fight fair battles given players can always overwhelm a smaller group with pure numbers or that your "skill" will ever have an impact on your success.

Edited by Writhes
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, wintericem107 said:

this I don't want to be a pirate I want to be a pet trader/breeder or maybe try being a trader and just enjoy a sailing game, like if I have a run in with ppl in the high sea and I get pirated there i can live with that but pirates didn't burn villages down for fear of the royal navy(s) or armies hunting them  down so with out a government to rebel against r they really being pirates or just following the rules of "Its pvp"? so in that sense there following the rule so there not pirates 

This will never be that kind of game. There is no way to make it that game because the type of players that play this game are raiders. They grind materials and then they raid. Nothing can change that.

they would have to take away all freedom from the game and make it more linear to force people to build governments and trade style game play. If it is left on the players hands it will never happen.

have faith in the game all you want. But if you have faith in human behavior and people changing their play style, then you have misplaced faith

Sorry, but what a bunch of BS. 
A couple of things made people quit playing this game, one of them was the offline-grief Meta. You build 5 galleons, the next day all of them got griefed with a single cannon bear and like 100 balls. There is nothing you can do to protect you from that. In a war you where checking until your enemy is finally ofline, then grief 40 ships. Fun and interactive. If you cry about the new system which is clearly designed to have more ship vs ship battles instead of stupid PVE offline griefing, you have not understood anything. Devs dont want a "who can spam more turrets" meta, so they made turrets weak. This enabled the offline griefing BS. The comming patch will fix that. Remember, you have to set a timeframe of 9 hours a day where you are vulnerable. Normal PVP. Just no more fucking offline griefing. I predict exploding player numbers after the patch. Atlas has the potential to become a great game, and the changes all head in a good direction for that. If you like the PVE offline griefing meta, go mesh in Ark. Like all the other 0-skillers.

6 minutes ago, Jonsc said:

Sorry, but what a bunch of BS. 
A couple of things made people quit playing this game, one of them was the offline-grief Meta. You build 5 galleons, the next day all of them got griefed with a single cannon bear and like 100 balls. There is nothing you can do to protect you from that. In a war you where checking until your enemy is finally ofline, then grief 40 ships. Fun and interactive. If you cry about the new system which is clearly designed to have more ship vs ship battles instead of stupid PVE offline griefing, you have not understood anything. Devs dont want a "who can spam more turrets" meta, so they made turrets weak. This enabled the offline griefing BS. The comming patch will fix that. Remember, you have to set a timeframe of 9 hours a day where you are vulnerable. Normal PVP. Just no more fucking offline griefing. I predict exploding player numbers after the patch. Atlas has the potential to become a great game, and the changes all head in a good direction for that. If you like the PVE offline griefing meta, go mesh in Ark. Like all the other 0-skillers.

When the game becomes stale and boring because no one can make a dent on the largest companies on their own turf and literally take all land you'll see how shitty these changes truey are. The new system kills any type of spontaneous pvp and excitement in exchange for people being able to log in at specific times to fight with as many numbers as their company can offer. You literally have no idea what you are supporting.

Edited by Writhes

8 minutes ago, Writhes said:

There's no guarantee the current pvp rules are effecting the games overall population or that changing them will not make the situation worse.

Yes, people can raid empty buildings if they choose but who cares? That's something that has been a part of the survival genre for years. Part of the fun is finding ways to protect yourself from offline raids or getting revenge for being offline raided. Survival games have never been about simulating death match scenarios as if it was call of duty or something or guarantee you would fight fair battles given players can always overwhelm a smaller group with pure numbers or that your "skill" will ever have an impact on your success.

I get it that a lot of people like yourself would like it to be less about skill, the devs have decide to go in more of a pvp direction and less of a pvbuilding direction.

They marketed the game as an MMO. If you think the offline raiding didn't affect the population you must be retarded. More likely you are trolling , or just a bitter Ark player.

Ark is a shitty game that attracted a lot of players who couldn't hack it in actual pvp games. In Ark there is no skill or tactics, just numbers and hours played, and somehow yall think this equates to skill. blows my mind.

Most humans want to be rewarded for actual skilled gameplay or at least thinking in someway.

Heres a hint bro. Shooting cannon balls into buildings is borring shit. You think putting puckle guns up in corners is somehow sneaky and will stop someone from offline raiding you? Are you retarded dude?

No you are just gonna mass recruit the ARK way and get 800 zergers to farm 1000 puckles and hope the other ark guys look at your stupid thing and go man that will cost to much to raid. That's not tactics. Or fun . Or smart. 

Normal Intelligent Pvpers actually want competitive gameplay bro.

1 minute ago, Back Stabbath said:

I get it that a lot of people like yourself would like it to be less about skill, the devs have decide to go in more of a pvp direction and less of a pvbuilding direction.

They marketed the game as an MMO. If you think the offline raiding didn't affect the population you must be retarded. More likely you are trolling , or just a bitter Ark player.

Ark is a shitty game that attracted a lot of players who couldn't hack it in actual pvp games. In Ark there is no skill or tactics, just numbers and hours played, and somehow yall think this equates to skill. blows my mind.

Most humans want to be rewarded for actual skilled gameplay or at least thinking in someway.

Heres a hint bro. Shooting cannon balls into buildings is borring shit. You think putting puckle guns up in corners is somehow sneaky and will stop someone from offline raiding you? Are you retarded dude?

No you are just gonna mass recruit the ARK way and get 800 zergers to farm 1000 puckles and hope the other ark guys look at your stupid thing and go man that will cost to much to raid. That's not tactics. Or fun . Or smart. 

Normal Intelligent Pvpers actually want competitive gameplay bro.

If you want competitive pvp you should be against these changes because small companies are being neutered of their ability to fight large zerg companies. Don't worry people like you that think this is going to make the game "fair" are going to have a hilarious change of heart when they find out how messed up these changes will truly make the game. You are still going to lose everything you own and accomplish nothing the only difference is that you will lose everything to company population you can't even comprehend rather than a small company of "griefers".

who 

1 minute ago, Writhes said:

If you want competitive pvp you should be against these changes because small companies are being neutered of their ability to fight large zerg companies. Don't worry people like you that think this is going to make the game "fair" are going to have a hilarious change of heart when they find out how messed up these changes will truly make the game. You are still going to lose everything you own and accomplish nothing the only difference is that you will lose everything to company population you can't even comprehend rather than a small company of "griefers".

who said I want "fair" lol .. I just want to be online idiot

who 

who said I want "fair" lol .. I just want to be online idiot

Would greatly appreciate if you could keep you're derogatory comments to yourself. I can't take someone seriously that thinks name calling will garner attention to their point. You just look like a whining child at best.

Stop babbling then, you look like a complete fool at best. Keep your fat  Pvoffline people fingers off the quote button.

Stop babbling then, you look like a complete fool at best. Keep your fat  Pvoffline people fingers off the quote button.

Would appreciate it if you could leave the discussion to adults. Thank you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Writhes said:

Would appreciate it if you could leave the discussion to adults. Thank you.

I would appreciate it if you left the discussion to the pvp players . Thank you. Unless you are reffering to the pve server .