Andargor

Any workaround for disappearing tames when boarding or disembarking?

43 minutes ago, Andargor said:

I've been using the Dev Kit to try to reproduce the issues we are having on our server, but I cannot. Disembarking and reembarking with a following tame work perfectly well. No wonder the devs haven't acknowledged the issue.

It either has to do with the fact that this happens in a live server environment with some delay or timing issues, perhaps the network. Or, more strangely, it perhaps only happens on Linux servers, since I'm on Windows in the Dev Kit.

Does anyone NOT have this problem on a Linux server?

Happening on smaller but hive servers a lot. It isn't just on official. Gotten worse after the march update.

2 hours ago, Andargor said:

I've been using the Dev Kit to try to reproduce the issues we are having on our server, but I cannot. Disembarking and reembarking with a following tame work perfectly well. No wonder the devs haven't acknowledged the issue.

It either has to do with the fact that this happens in a live server environment with some delay or timing issues, perhaps the network. Or, more strangely, it perhaps only happens on Linux servers, since I'm on Windows in the Dev Kit.

Does anyone NOT have this problem on a Linux server?

This is my theory.  It has to do with server latency and crap net code or the code that keeps track of these movements.

In my experience I twice had a tame disappear on me.  Both times I found them at the bottom of the ocean 50' down and not always straight down.  One time they were pulled near a shipyard and this was blocking my view when I was looking for the bear.  Luckily I found him a before he drowned....he was taking damage at that point but he has 1200hp.  🙂    "E" did not work on him, but whistling for him to follow did and the bear popped back up at the surface instantly. 

Edited by DocHolliday

Well, I will be damned. I run my private server on Linux and all players have the problem. I'm LAN connected to the server, so it's definitely not network latency. I decided to fire up a server on my Windows desktop, and the problem goes away. I literally took a backup of my live server, with the database, all structures, ships, tiles, everything, and copied them over for an exact copy, but on Windows.

Looks like it's related to the difference between Linux and Windows server after all.

It doesn't mean that there aren't pathing problems on the Windows server either, but it's not as systematic as on the Linux server (on which it happens basically 100% of the time)

Really weird that that’s what causes it. I never would’ve thought of that but I’m glad it’s fixed now. I also never heard other people that had the same issue. 

6 hours ago, Percieval said:

Really weird that that’s what causes it. I never would’ve thought of that but I’m glad it’s fixed now. I also never heard other people that had the same issue. 

Well, no, it's not fixed. Using a Windows server instead of a Linux server is not a solution. 🙂 I just used my desktop to test the theory, I have a Linux server to run Atlas, Ark, Conan, etc. for our gaming group.

The problem is that this doesn't seem to have been acknowledged by the devs at all. No acknowledgment, no fix in sight.

1 hour ago, Andargor said:

Well, no, it's not fixed. Using a Windows server instead of a Linux server is not a solution. 🙂 I just used my desktop to test the theory, I have a Linux server to run Atlas, Ark, Conan, etc. for our gaming group.

The problem is that this doesn't seem to have been acknowledged by the devs at all. No acknowledgment, no fix in sight.

Then make it acknowledgeable. Not that many people use Linux but I’m sure they will look into it. 

37 minutes ago, Percieval said:

Then make it acknowledgeable. Not that many people use Linux but I’m sure they will look into it. 

There are at least two bugs reports for it.

Its a bug. I hear about it all over the official servers, and private clusters. And experienced it myself. I just take high level things I care about on ship journeys. ARK had the similar bug for a LONG time.

Their are 2 issues: (1) animals just going invisible. You can tell they are still there cause you can run into them and see them poop.

(2) animals going poof whether its follow or through the menu.

Most of the time (1) can be resolved by reconnecting or moving out of the area and someone else or you come back. Dino normally renders. We had an elephant gone for 5days then one day, back.

We just live with the bug.

It seems that when the NPC is detached from the ship, its location goes out of bounds and then gets killed. This is a trace I've been working on. Check the location coordinates, how they change on the END PLAY event.

EDIT: OMG, the Z and X coords get swapped and Y goes weird.

KZomN4F.jpg

Edited by Andargor