Andargor

Any workaround for disappearing tames when boarding or disembarking?

Our group is disembarking ships while mounted on tames to avoid them disappearing, but is there a trick to get them on board without them randomly getting killed?

EDIT: Linux servers are causing crews and tames to disappear 100% of the time when disembarking.

Edited by Andargor

use follow and a side mounted ladder is what I've been told just put them on follow and board from the side of the ship.

• Like 1

I didn’t even know about the command until 2 months of playing. I always had mine on the ship through following. I never had an animal die because of it. 

• Like 1

Hmm. Our experience is that having crew or tames on follow and then disembarking, they will disappear 90% of the time, no log message, no notification, nothing. For boarding, using follow to go up ladders or ordering them on ship will kill them about 10% of the time, with a notification that "XXX has been killed" and no other explanation.

Then there must be something bugged with your ships, maybe with building the structures since I have moved my animals up and down ships for a good 500 times now. If not more without any issue. 

• Like 1

What kind of ship were you using and do you have a pic of your design? Trying to find what the difference is here, because our group has all brigantines, and we all have that issue.

I used a schooner the first month, second month brig/gally, third month only brig. I’m 1000 km away from my PC right now so no pics yet. But the brig design is very basic, at the end of the deck i have a higher part with large cannons pointing backwards. I always get up on the ship from the side at the front. I have 3 platforms in between the sails 2x2 for harpoons. Nothing special really. 

• Like 1

These videos illustrate what I mean for the following on disembark bug. It is incredibly frustrating, and I don't know why we are the only ones seeing it.

I just lost my prized cow to this, it accidentally glitched onto the ship as I was bringing in ammo, and disappeared when I tried to get it off.

R.I.P. Cowabunga, you have served me well.

Are we the only ones seeing this bug? I'm worried, because if this isn't an acknowledged bug, it will not be fixed. We are not getting tames just because of this...

On 3/1/2019 at 10:11 PM, Andargor said:

Our group is disembarking ships while mounted on tames to avoid them disappearing, but is there a trick to get them on board without them randomly getting killed?

Yes there is a workaround, if it is the bug where you dont see the tame but you see the nameplate(name lvl tier).

To see the tame again you need to be the only one in render distance so all ppl have to disconnect, then noone will render it then you log in back and the tame is there.

so its a siple relog but you have to be alone, so if anyone else is still in render from another tribe it will not work, if the tame is still on the ship you can sail away on the sea and relog.

try to place the tame on the planks so its sitting on the sider of the ship a little higher,, not on the deck, on the planks left or right, there you have to park him so it wont disappear.

this happens for me for rhinos and elephants.

cheers

i experienced this since a few patches and it is always on the same spots of my server map.

when i drive near my neighbor my elephant turns invisible.

then i arrive at my metal spot, i relog, and elephant is there again....

• Like 1

A good start is you board the ship first, call the animal to your ship through the spyglass to the side of your ship. My company has always used this tactic, on every ship and never a issue the 2 times we used the wheel we lost both tames. Same when you leave the ship, wait to call off your animal when you are already off the ship.

Also someone else pointed out a good point about putting your tames up on the side of your boat underneath on the planks itself. We have never lost an animal when placing them there.

• Like 1

Lost some pets when using the „e“ wheel command close to a ship.

Lost none when using the „follow“ command.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try them out. It's just silly that we have to pay so much attention in order to not arbitrarily lose our crew or tames.

Today I tested disembarking while having crew on Low follow distance, and it seems if I can get them on the diving platform, they will follow me off the ship successfully instead of disappearing.

39 minutes ago, Andargor said:

Today I tested disembarking while having crew on Low follow distance, and it seems if I can get them on the diving platform, they will follow me off the ship successfully instead of disappearing.

That happened before? Disappearing when on follow? 

• Like 1

I've lost quite a few tames by just going up the ladder at the back and they either got stuck in that panels glitched or they just disappeared.

I made a thread in the bug section a month or so ago and a dev replied to it saying "use the send to ship command" it will be easier and should work. I did not know of this command until they pointed it out.

I've been using the send to ship but i've found recently they just vanish, I lost 2 tames in a day to this and I'm cautious of doing it now .

I have built stairs leading up to the ship deck from harbour so I just manually ride them on and when I'm out I usually stop next to some high structure or shipyard where I can manually ride them back on again, that is the only way I have found to stop it happening.

If I can't find any structures to ride them back onto the ship I have to take the chance and use the send to ship command but I know how you feel when you lose them in this way.

47 minutes ago, Percieval said:

That happened before? Disappearing when on follow? 

Yeah, like in the videos I posted above.

I have successfuly taken 3 Marines from my ship to do treasure maps, twice!

- Disembark by having them follow on the diving platform, and then off the ship

- Embark by having them follow and use the ladders

Works so far...

gWqPCRF.jpg

Edited by Andargor

38 minutes ago, Andargor said:

I have successfuly taken 3 Marines from my ship to do treasure maps, twice!

- Disembark by having them follow on the diving platform, and then off the ship

- Embark by having them follow and use the ladders

Works so far...

gWqPCRF.jpg

It has been working since launch and (for me) hundreds of times. Just as for my crew, that they disappear when on follow, is completely new for us. That’s why I think its so weird that you and your crew have issues with it. 

Edited by Percieval
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Percieval said:

It has been working since launch and (for me) hundreds of times. Just as for my crew, that they disappear when on follow, is completely new for us. That’s why I think its so weird that you and your crew have issues with it. 

Are you on a private server or official, and if private is it Linux or Windows? Trying to isolate the difference here.

10 hours ago, Andargor said:

Are you on a private server or official, and if private is it Linux or Windows? Trying to isolate the difference here.

Official PvP. 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2019 at 2:07 AM, Ivah BlackWater said:

A good start is you board the ship first, call the animal to your ship through the spyglass to the side of your ship. My company has always used this tactic, on every ship and never a issue the 2 times we used the wheel we lost both tames. Same when you leave the ship, wait to call off your animal when you are already off the ship.

Also someone else pointed out a good point about putting your tames up on the side of your boat underneath on the planks itself. We have never lost an animal when placing them there.

This works, have it stay on shore, whistle it to follow when you are on board.

• Like 1

I've been using the Dev Kit to try to reproduce the issues we are having on our server, but I cannot. Disembarking and reembarking with a following tame work perfectly well. No wonder the devs haven't acknowledged the issue.

It either has to do with the fact that this happens in a live server environment with some delay or timing issues, perhaps the network. Or, more strangely, it perhaps only happens on Linux servers, since I'm on Windows in the Dev Kit.

Does anyone NOT have this problem on a Linux server?