Sign in to follow this  
Zen ETG

Waiting a month to wipe will kill this game

the title says it all. to give a months warning for a server wipe just killed this game for pve players at least. why would i log in and build and try to unlock gems for my compass if it is all going to wiped in a month or 2 months with how the devs like to push back content updates by a month.  this should have been a 1 or 2 day notice thing. now with a whole month to play other games who knows how many pve players will actually return to the game

• Like 1

Have 333 hours invested in the game, was enjoying it no end. If they wiped today I could just get on trying to re-build but three weeks away wtf why should I bother to log in.

Please dont give me any early access BS, lag, bugs, crashes,changes I can put up with, 333 hours of work wiped is hard, what guarrantee do we have they wont come up with "good" reasons to wipe again after people invest a load more time.

I have been waiting for a game like Atlas a long time and want it to succeed, trying to ignore alot of the early access hate for the game that is on the net but wiping peoples time invested efforts leaves a very bad taste and give me a sense of mistrust that will take a long time to receed.

• Like 2

I do understand the problem people are having with this.  I would have preferred a 1 week notice or something like that.  However, I am actually kind of happy about this.  I have over 200 hours in and there are things I have not tried yet, that I am more willing to now.  If I lose a big ship, or a tame at this point, it's no big deal.  My group and I are even considering starting over in PvP...  not too sure about that one though.  I am going to use this time to build crazy things, head out and explore places I have not yet seen.  

that might be fine for you but a large amount of players see this as wasted time.   time wasted up until now and another month of wasted time waiting for a patch

14 minutes ago, Crythos said:

Have 333 hours invested in the game, was enjoying it no end. If they wiped today I could just get on trying to re-build but three weeks away wtf why should I bother to log in.

Please dont give me any early access BS, lag, bugs, crashes,changes I can put up with, 333 hours of work wiped is hard, what guarrantee do we have they wont come up with "good" reasons to wipe again after people invest a load more time.

I have been waiting for a game like Atlas a long time and want it to succeed, trying to ignore alot of the early access hate for the game that is on the net but wiping peoples time invested efforts leaves a very bad taste and give me a sense of mistrust that will take a long time to receed.

Saying “don’t give me any early Access bs” when that is entirely the appropriate response to your complaint about time invested going down the tubes is the guy on the gulf coast not wanting you to point out that he’s already rebuilt his Oceanside home twice in the last 20 years after it got leveled by hurricanes before. He wants to be able to bitch without having his unrealistic expectations pointed out to him and that’s what you’re doing here.

The game was marketed as Early Access. For 2 years. It was made abundantly clear that development is ongoing. Ongoing development means wipes are a distinct possibility. Thus it is on you not to invest in the game at present if you are unwilling to lose progress. Should there perhaps be clearer standards about what EA is and isn’t and what paying customers have a right to expect? I have argued repeatedly that there should be, but no such standards currently exist. Your expectations clearly were not in line with what they should have been, given what does exist.

Going forward there are no guarantees they won’t wipe again in the future and you should plan accordingly. If you mistrust a company based on your own misplaced expectations there is little anyone can do to mitigate that, but you are indeed a poster child of sorts for why I continue to argue that EA standards are needed and should be set by Steam.

Been in many beta tests, have no problem with wipes, paid for early access on a persistent world where alot of content is behind hard work did not expect wipes.

Where we do agree is Steam should make early access standards more clear, if wipes were going to be an option you wouldnt get any salt from me, I would either have not invested so much time or simply waited, Early access is different from a Beta test.

"Misplaced expectations" Don't think so, this game needed an open beta phase before early access.

Edited by Crythos

This will not kill the game. The game is not finished. You have not invested anything in this game. Its not real life. its a game.

Besides, many players will hit then game just after the wipe, to get a foothold and an island  before they are all taken. I play a lot of unofficial, I am use to wipes, I enjoy then now.  A fresh start on a clean map to build "bigger and better" in a new location, applying all the things I learned from the first time.  that sorta vibe. heh.

It's possible this could have the opposite affect.  Many people have quit over the last couple months because they couldn't find land because of the existing claim system.  It's all together possible that many people will return since everyone will be starting fresh again.  However I expect the new claim system to cause more problems than it solves so only time will tell how things will go.

• Like 1

While I wish the wipe was this weekend. No I think is a fresh breath of air for many who liked the idea of Atlas but quickly were turned away due to how toxic it had become. 

yeah, they really need to get that settled, maybe after a few more wipes.  😛   I do understand some will not bother since they know wipe is coming, now... but I bet many more will do things not related to building.. take more chances than they would otherwise, exploring,  attacking people they normally wouldn't in fear of retaliation and losing stuff,  attempting fights of pve npc's they normally wouldn't.. I mean its like you have 3 weeks of, nothing to lose so yolo 😛

The devs can never win with a wipe.

If they had announced it a week before the wipe the forums would be full of "You knew this 3 weeks ago!  Why didn't you tell us!!!  WAAAAHHHH!!!"  Instead they gave everyone plenty of notice and what do we have?  "You told us too soon!  Why didn't you wait 3 weeks!!!"  WAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!"

Again .... there is no good time to share that kind of news.  It is what it is. 

People are funny.

most of you misunderstand this topic.   it is not the fact they are doing a wipe. its the fact that they are calling it out a month ahead of time. giving pve players no reason to play until they patch.   again the fact that they are wiping the servers is not the issue of this topic.

• Like 1

Who is anyone kidding? It'll at least be two, or three months before they wipe. It's wildcard/grapeshot we're talking about here. This patch is already delayed by over a month. 

Does anyone think they can actually hit a target date even after all the years they've been in development? That's adorable. If they wanted to provide a months notice, they should have done so on the day of the (new) ETA.

• Like 2

my opinion wipe and with that changes they wanna do to the pve will not make it better as it was with claiming flags . atleast there u could rent and live happy all what u will see is tons of pillars and foundations everywhere .

27 minutes ago, Zen ETG said:

most of you misunderstand this topic.   it is not the fact they are doing a wipe. its the fact that they are calling it out a month ahead of time. giving pve players no reason to play until they patch.   again the fact that they are wiping the servers is not the issue of this topic.

So, they should have waited 3 weeks, then said, in one week we wipe? How exactely does that change ANYTHING other than your own screwed perception of whats worth it and whats not?

2 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Saying “don’t give me any early Access bs” when that is entirely the appropriate response to your complaint about time invested going down the tubes is the guy on the gulf coast not wanting you to point out that he’s already rebuilt his Oceanside home twice in the last 20 years after it got leveled by hurricanes before. He wants to be able to bitch without having his unrealistic expectations pointed out to him and that’s what you’re doing here.

The game was marketed as Early Access. For 2 years. It was made abundantly clear that development is ongoing. Ongoing development means wipes are a distinct possibility. Thus it is on you not to invest in the game at present if you are unwilling to lose progress. Should there perhaps be clearer standards about what EA is and isn’t and what paying customers have a right to expect? I have argued repeatedly that there should be, but no such standards currently exist. Your expectations clearly were not in line with what they should have been, given what does exist.

Going forward there are no guarantees they won’t wipe again in the future and you should plan accordingly. If you mistrust a company based on your own misplaced expectations there is little anyone can do to mitigate that, but you are indeed a poster child of sorts for why I continue to argue that EA standards are needed and should be set by Steam.

I don't think hes complaining about the wipe as such.... hes complaining about a months notice. He has a point.... wtf will anyone want to log on ( apart from me but I will sail that Brig dammit. Sailed it now. Playing something else tomorrow) and do stuff when they know that in a few WEEKS times, all their effort will be gone? NA PvE currently dead, approx. 24 hours after announcement. Let me explain for you: I guess the OP and others, would have preferred a wipe warning less than 48 hours before it happened. As I would. Not much point playing now until the end of march. Approx 3 weeks of play until wipe. Tell me Boomer.... what will you do? Tame stuff? Build a couple of Gals? To know it will be wiped 3/4 WEEKS time? Why bother? Hes looking at the time period he either has to a) play and achieve and lose everything or b) find something else to do. Seems to me hes a player that likes the game. A commodity that Grapeshot is rapidly running out of

Yes you are right. It is EA. Hes not complaining about EA. Learn to read and understand before you jump in the whole fanboy thing.

As for the guy on the Gulf Coast? was that you? did you buy a property in Hurricane territory? Stupid comparison so don't use it. You buy a game in EA knowing that your kids lives don't depend on it. Buying a house is no joke. Get outta your moms basement and find out 😄

Edited by tsavo74
addition
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Crythos said:

Actually they did say it was possible that there will be future wipes. It was not ruled out.

3 minutes ago, AntonyVW said:

Actually they did say it was possible that there will be future wipes. It was not ruled out.

Once again, read the context. Hes not moaning about wipe. Hes moaning about the time scale warning. He even states : "If they wiped it today I could just get on" etc. Hes basically saying " okay. wipe incoming. wait 4 weeks???!!!"

Id take an overnight wipe right now, as Crythos would. 

27 minutes ago, tsavo74 said:

I don't think hes complaining about the wipe as such.... hes complaining about a months notice. He has a point.... wtf will anyone want to log on ( apart from me but I will sail that Brig dammit. Sailed it now. Playing something else tomorrow) and do stuff when they know that in a few WEEKS times, all their effort will be gone? NA PvE currently dead, approx. 24 hours after announcement. Let me explain for you: I guess the OP would have preferred a wipe warning less than 48 hours before it happened. As I would. Not much point playing now until the end of march. Approx 3 weeks of play until wipe. Tell me Boomer.... what will you do? Tame stuff? Build a couple of Gals? To know it will be wiped 3/4 WEEKS time? Why bother? Hes looking at the time period he either has to a) play and achieve and lose everything or b) find something else to do. Seems to me hes a player that likes the game. A commodity that Grapeshot is rapidly running out of

Yes you are right. It is EA. Hes not complaining about EA. Learn to read and understand before you jump in the whole fanboy thing.

As for the guy on the Gulf Coast? was that you? did you buy a property in Hurricane territory? Stupid comparison so don't use it. You buy a game in EA knowing that your kids lives don't depend on it. Buying a house is no joke. Get outta your moms basement and find out 😄

It was an analogy and I don't live anywhere near the coast nor in my mom's basement. Stop trying to use ad hominem attacks to denigrate a perfectly valid analogy. No one was making a point about whether someone's life was in danger. That's irrelevant, so stop trying to pretend I was saying anything about that.

This load of bollox you're trying to pass off as he's not complaining about the wipe but the amount of warning is completely undermined by the fact he's specfically complaining about his 333 hours. He further complains about the risk of future wipes, not future wipe warning timing.  If he's complaining about the timing of a warning, neither of those things would be relevant, so it's ironic you're telling me to read and understand when it's apparent you didn't do so yourself.

Edited by boomervoncannon

Wipe was definitely needed. Yes I have land claims, big bases, tons of tames.

Wipe is definitely needed cause of the insane amount of problems with abandoned buildings, abandoned ships, and  jacked up flags etc. The bright side. No more ugly red circles on the map.

I plan on being here before wipe, after wipe and i'll see some of you on the public test realm.

I do agree that I wish the wipe was coming in a week. Not 4 weeks from now.