Sign in to follow this  
boomervoncannon

How does gating new content behind the final boss make the game more accessible for smaller companies?

They more than likely will have to nerf the kraken even more. I can't see any other option.

Sure look at dragon and hydra so easy to kill. But How easy is it to kill any elemental that's a head scratcher to me. 

Edited by IAmAnEasterEgg

5 hours ago, wildbill said:

You got the thread title wrong. The kraken is no longer the final boss 🙂

Apparently you get the sub, then there is another boss you get to fight after the kraken.

Yeah, a tougher Kraken. <_<

What they need to do is a system like Ark, different boss levels for better rewards and loot, so basic stuff its easy to obtain like a sub but something like top end blueprints are done on the ultra hard bosses.

23 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

So some of the changes announced after wipe definitely seem likely to be improvements for small groups, but the decision to gate the new underwater content behind the kraken is a head scratcher. To start with, as a development/testing decision, why in the world would you want to gate your newest content during an Early Access period behind an endgame boss?  What percentage of your playerbase do you expect will ever successfully unlock said content? My personal experience of 15 years playing MMO's of this type suggests less than half. Moreover, what percentage will unlock it within 60 days of a total wipe? I'm gonna offer as a hypothesis that the percentage of the playerbase who are members of large companies focused on doing endgame content will correlate to an overwhelming degree with the unlock percentage, which is to say far less than half.  Do you want a significant percentage of your playerbase to actually test your new content or not? 

If the answer is yes than gating that content behind a final boss is boneheaded. Period.

If the answer is no, then why put it in in the first place?

Beyond how nonsensical this decision is from a testing perspective, it goes completely against the idea of making your game more accessible to smaller groups. The development team has the back end data sure, but are you REALLY telling us that you looked at the data for how many and which companies completed the kraken to date and it wasn't some miniscule percentage consisting almost entirely of some of the largest companies? I do not have access to the data myself, but this notion is one I am highly skeptical of. If that is what the data shows, then this decision further puts smaller groups in a have not category.

i agree, the devs should make it more accessible through a mission or just a simple unlock with skill points. 

13 hours ago, IAmAnEasterEgg said:

They more than likely will have to nerf the kraken even more. I can't see any other option.

Sure look at dragon and hydra so easy to kill. But How easy is it to kill any elemental that's a head scratcher to me. 

No, not nerf...scale.  The idea is that it should be a thrilling, but achievable victory, no matter if you are one man in a schooner, or 250 on several Galleons.  And, they could have a leaderboard to incentivize going big...like who can take down the highest level Kraken.  But, one man in a schooner isn't going to worry about that...he just wants to do the end game stuff, and get his submarine.  Large Orgs, however, will compete to see who can take out the highest level Kraken, in the shortest amount of time.

And, no matter how big you go, you should have roughly a 50-50 chance of success.  This makes it thrilling, but achievable.

• Like 1

The Ark/Atlas devs like to gate content.  Played over 3600 hours in Ark.  Boss fights I was in?  Zero.  I like the open world sandbox, don't give a shit about "bosses".  

5 hours ago, Slash78 said:

The Ark/Atlas devs like to gate content.  Played over 3600 hours in Ark.  Boss fights I was in?  Zero.  I like the open world sandbox, don't give a shit about "bosses".  

You missed out.  The fights were fun, and the end scenes were quite good.

I am not interested in boss flights with a big guild of incompetent players, quantity over quality is the chinese system, not european or american. Never played games based on these.

I like games where a clever, well equipped solo player can achieve everything, Conan Exiles is perfect in that.

Closing content like the sub behind a barrier that only megatribes can cross is trash.

And in exchange removing content that everyone can achieve like discoveries.. very LOL.

Such s beautiful game, completely sunk by incompetent game and balance design.

Edited by Talono