UncleMike

Some constructive feedback on the new changes

I appreciate the team wanting to make this better so I will just list some constructive feedback and hopefully can hear how the team is thinking about this.

First as a small group of less than 5 very close friends playing this game, the proposed changes will rule out PVP server for us which is where we actually want to be. Why? We want to own some land, and with the proposed claim system we might have a shot at an island claim, but the clock will be ticking until we lose it and live off someone else's land. It's just not appealing to us to fuel someone else's war effort and not really own anything.

In terms of PVE I have a lot of concerns that it feels like this patch only addresses the PVP side. You don't solve a couple of the MAJOR PVE problems, namely people blocking shorelines with either foundation or ship spam that cannot be removed. On top of that you create a potential problem of foundation spam and people land locking you and continually squeezing you out.

I'd like to propose a couple of Ideas, they aren't silver bullets but maybe you all can pick them apart.

1. The repair structure, what if we make those radius based (about the size of a current claim) limit them to 1 per person per grid square and prevent anyone from building other than your company in that radius and make THEM have an upkeep. This prevents foundation spam, it would encourage people to put multiple repair structures but if the structure itself has an upkeep that if it isnt met then it opens the build area within it then this could curb that behavior.

2. This may be a crazy idea but what if anchored ships had no player collision, but you couldn't anchor while clipping another ship. This would prevent people from being able to block you in they still may be able to spam the coast with ships so that you couldnt come back there but that would be difficult to do at best. It's the best idea I could come up with, I dont know how you fix foundation spam blocking ships unless the repair structure radius I explained above can reach into the water but you cant build them OVER water, that might help?

5 hours ago, UncleMike said:

1. The repair structure, what if we make those radius based (about the size of a current claim) limit them to 1 per person per grid square and prevent anyone from building other than your company in that radius and make THEM have an upkeep. This prevents foundation spam, it would encourage people to put multiple repair structures but if the structure itself has an upkeep that if it isnt met then it opens the build area within it then this could curb that behavior.

...congratulations, you just invented having a claim.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

im my humble opinion they should have just left a claims the same in pve but just capped them per company and top company would be merit based on like number of ghost ship and the like killed

Pvp side I kind like the land changes I might go back and find a big company to let me live on one of the islands so I can live my my dream as a trader of beasts

• Like 1

On 3/1/2019 at 7:56 AM, UncleMike said:

First as a small group of less than 5 very close friends playing this game, the proposed changes will rule out PVP server for us which is where we actually want to be. Why? We want to own some land, and with the proposed claim system we might have a shot at an island claim, but the clock will be ticking until we lose it and live off someone else's land.

How is this not already the reality on PvP servers?

10 hours ago, CazzT said:

How is this not already the reality on PvP servers?

Today with the current system its not a problem for a small guild to own land. Only need to do some diplomacy and it works just fine. The new system however, I agree with original poster, noone will own land. Nobody that dont own the island would want land on that island. That the devs dont see this is strange.

11 hours ago, Patrik said:

Today with the current system its not a problem for a small guild to own land. Only need to do some diplomacy and it works just fine. The new system however, I agree with original poster, noone will own land. Nobody that dont own the island would want land on that island. That the devs dont see this is strange.

And why won't it work the same way in the new system?  All I'm seeing is needless panic based off speculation and not understanding the new system.

Edited by CazzT

2 hours ago, CazzT said:

And why won't it work the same way in the new system?  All I'm seeing is needless panic based off speculation and not understanding the new system.

Because it is fun to build cannon towers and a harbour. The point of the game is ships. People want to build a real harbour for their ships. They cannot do that in the the new system if they do not own the island. And if you dont own the island the owner owns you and everything you have built. They can remove you stuff if you dont agree to anything they say. Nobody is going to want that, nobody will build on an island where they cannot build defences and someone else can demolish their stuff, simple as that.

I feel that I after 20+ years of hardcore PvP gaming, from Ultima, through Asherons Call, past Shadowbane that I know alot of how theses things will work out. I wont be wrong, I assure you.

7 minutes ago, Patrik said:

Because it is fun to build cannon towers and a harbour. The point of the game is ships. People want to build a real harbour for their ships. They cannot do that in the the new system if they do not own the island. And if you dont own the island the owner owns you and everything you have built. They can remove you stuff if you dont agree to anything they say. Nobody is going to want that, nobody will build on an island where they cannot build defences and someone else can demolish their stuff, simple as that.

Again, how is this different than the current system?  If the people with claim flags spammed all over the place right now have it set so that you can't build in the claim area, you can't build a shipyard, mortars, etc there.  So again, how is this any different than the current system?

8 minutes ago, Patrik said:

I wont be wrong, I assure you.

But you already are wrong.  What you're saying will happen is already happening.

On 3/4/2019 at 6:01 AM, Patrik said:

I feel that I after 20+ years of hardcore PvP gaming, from Ultima, through Asherons Call, past Shadowbane that I know alot of how theses things will work out. I wont be wrong, I assure you.

Owner of Settlement doesn"t own your structures. The only think he can do is attack them whenever he wants.

22 minutes ago, Willard said:

Owner of Settlement doesn"t own your structures. The only think he can do is attack them whenever he wants.

Doesn't that in a way make it the landowners when he can take out whatever structure he wants whenever. Which you would not be able to stop him  during his 15 hours of invulnerability ? 

On 3/4/2019 at 6:01 AM, Patrik said:

I am totally with you on that point. It takes away alot of fun if you are not able to build your own defenses. And how will you defend your ships then? It will be alot harder with no defense tower. Do people really think the owner will build the cannons for you and man them in the case of an attack. I dont see how this is going to work. It just sounds like as a normal slave you will lose on many aspects of the game. You will pay a high price for the raid protection. It looks like you will gain some content by being more fight ready because you didnt get raided last night but you lose some content (and saftey) on the building side of things. It is definitly no win win thingy.

I bet though we will see some really weird ships in the harbours of the future which are meant to replace defense towers.

Edited by aladinf

1 hour ago, labatts said:

Doesn't that in a way make it the landowners when he can take out whatever structure he wants whenever. Which you would not be able to stop him  during his 15 hours of invulnerability ? 

I think they will do some kind of "inhabitant" status for those tribes who live withins someones Settlement. That status will protect you during those 9 hours (which sets owner of Settlement) and maybe (i don´t know that) disables owner of that Settlement from attacking you and you from attacking him. Owner of Settlement would give you that status and if he wants to remove that there could be like 2-3 days before he could attack you. Maybe they find a way how to do that. 

Anyway current system works either on neutral flags (which is really bad for small tribes) or island owners allow multiple tribes to have like 1-2 claims. In any case "Landlord" can always wipe you. If he wants he will get you out of his land, you know it.

I don´t think new system will be worse for small tribes which can´t afford to hold their own island and live "under" someone than current system.

2 hours ago, Willard said:

I think they will do some kind of "inhabitant" status for those tribes who live withins someones Settlement. That status will protect you during those 9 hours (which sets owner of Settlement) and maybe (i don´t know that) disables owner of that Settlement from attacking you and you from attacking him. Owner of Settlement would give you that status and if he wants to remove that there could be like 2-3 days before he could attack you. Maybe they find a way how to do that. 

Anyway current system works either on neutral flags (which is really bad for small tribes) or island owners allow multiple tribes to have like 1-2 claims. In any case "Landlord" can always wipe you. If he wants he will get you out of his land, you know it.

I don´t think new system will be worse for small tribes which can´t afford to hold their own island and live "under" someone than current system.

Personally I think its going to be worse for small tribes because at the moment on NA small tribes exist under small alliances on Lawless however come the patch lawless will be the only fighting / raiding ground for people outside the raid times "token" times  thus making it a slaving simulator , come join us and live under our protection or be wiped