archaegeo

New Claim System - Griefers paradise?

4 minutes ago, MisterMyztik said:

1.   It sounded a lot like the island has to be completely clear of contestors in order to claim the island.

That will take a significant amount of co-ordination and is very easily countered. (I am hoping that this is not how it will in fact work and there will be a "contest point" for the island control, this would also help you maintain control of the island by focusing your fortifications in one area)

2.   You will need a bank built there in order to place a claim flag on the island.

You cant just catch the wind to the first island you find and drop a flag.

3.   Upkeep is intended to stop your scenario.

Your upkeep costs will be too significant to maintain without assistance of inhabitants, or a significant population in your company all grinding towards the upkeep.

Furthermore, increased variety of companies on the settlement will lower the upkeep cost of the flag so they are intending to encourage Governors to maintain and encourage a population to grow on their island.

I’m not sure the claiming works that way. From what I’m getting the flags are already there and it is really about who places the tax structure first. As for the whole upkeep and having inhabitants, I really like it. You will need each other to defend yourselves and if you don’t like the governer, you could get rid of him if he is not too OP, what he probably isn’t otherwise you won’t be able to settle on his island. So I’m really looking forward to see what this will become. 

• Like 1

Really doubt this is gonna happen, first if all you have to build a tax bank to be able to claim an island, secondly you need to then defend that tax bank for (1 hour?), and since tax banks take alot of damage from pretty much all sources, its not a likely scenario that griefers will be running rampant doing this.

It would be the griefers wasting time, not the ones actually trying to occupy the island, because stopping 2-3 guys that just wanna grief is gonna be fairly easy.

Speaking as a purely PvE player, I am super concerned about the new system based on what I read. From the documented intended changes they put out, there is no mention on whether you can prevent people from building near your structures anywhere. In fact, quite the opposite, as it is stated that anyone can build anywhere, even on a claimed island. I would flip my shit if random people can just come in and place structures in an area you are effectively trying to keep clear as you use it for collecting resources.

Pillar and foundation spam on lawless areas has already proven to be a freaking nightmare, as players used it in order to "claim" territory, as it would make sure no one else could build right up against your buildings and eventually, box you in, preventing further expansion.

Also don't like the idea of structure decay, as it is a symptom of a problem that was "quick fixed" by adding a decay timer.

It has always been a problem for people who play a lot, and don't want other people coming in and placing structures that take several days to disappear, so that you can get access to blocked building materials or just the building spot.

At the same time, it is also a problem for those who cannot play often, as they have to add checking into the game as a chore they have to do every other day.

The only solution to this problem is to completely disallow construction of buildings within resource areas, and to create designated areas where people can build, and then spreading these strategically over an island (yay, level design!). Sure, it does take a lot of the sandbox out of the game, but it would address issues like overbuilding and not being in control of areas you built in. Sure, it does mean that you will need a lot of areas in order to address the amount of players, but I am sure there is an answer to this as well.

A problem with the game at its core is how open it is. It is great for giving players options, and it is probably one of the best features as well, but you cant just give players unlimited authority to what, where and how they can build, and expect the game to run nicely. I mean, just the rubber-banding and lag created by this is off-putting and ruins the experience regardless of what it can offer.

Personally, I think the biggest problem with the current claim system is that the game itself does not reward players for opening up land to outsiders. I mean, would it be completely crazy to get an amount of gold over time (from the server), just for opening up plots of land to outsiders? Sure, taxes from the bank are great and all, but I need to designate an entire claim as being open, which might cover a lot of resources that I will be missing out on if someone else builds there, ergo, I have no interest in allowing anyone else to build across the whole thing. If I could limit it to areas void of resources such as most of the shorelines, or clearings in the forests, then that would be amazing.

After all, yes, owning a lot of land should have its consequences, but opening up land to outsiders should also guaranteed immediate benefits in order to promote doing it. Otherwise, only the vast minority of the players will even use this system, as a lot of people cannot be bothered to deal with other players, and besides, the owners might not even be online/present at their claim when said players come by. It is just tedious, annoying and unrewarding by design unfortunately.

And to top it off, I don't think the upcoming approach will address many of the underlying problems at its core, because it just tries to go around it instead and come up with a work-around of a solution.