Sign in to follow this  
archaegeo

Come on, how did you NOT expect a wipe???

I absolutely refuse to believe that people are so naive that they thought there would not be multiple wipes throughout early access.

Its a two year development process.  You knew this when signing up.

Demanding no wipes, demanding increased rates post wipe, all of it, just stop.

This is part of the development and testing process.  If it is 10x after every wipe, there is no testing of levelling rates.

If you cant handle this, wait for 2 years for launch and then you get to be amazed at what will feel like a totally different game by then.

• Like 7

because in their previous game even in ea they didnt make a wipe. the probleme is not the wipe , the problem is planning a wipe in one month or 2 month. Why we should playing since all will be lost.

MAke the wipe today ok, not in two month.

Best regards.

• Like 1

so dont play till then.

They will wipe when the content is ready.

This is EA testing, not play the final game.

The only thing that surprises me even a little about Atlas’s development so far is how fast the player base has dwindled. Wipes and other changes are pretty much exactly what I signed up for, but I will admit given Ark’s success, losing 80% of your launch window base in 60 days is surprising. Curious to see if the wipe brings some players back to start anew.

4 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

The only thing that surprises me even a little about Atlas’s development so far is how fast the player base has dwindled. Wipes and other changes are pretty much exactly what I signed up for, but I will admit given Ark’s success, losing 80% of your launch window base in 60 days is surprising. Curious to see if the wipe brings some players back to start anew.

You'll always get the rush at a new start, folks like that initial race for the summit.

The reason is historically in MMOs character wipe have only happen when you are invited to a beta test that had a starting and an ending point. I can't recall a character wipe in an MMO that happened outside of that framework. Everyone expected big changes, but at this point without something other being stated, they expected their characters to persist through those changes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, archaegeo said:

You'll always get the rush at a new start, folks like that initial race for the summit.

Sure, I expected that. What I didn't expect was for the vast majority of them to leave so quickly.  Suffice to say that several key initial design decisions have proven wildly unpopular. It's a shame because as the old saying goes "You never get a second chance to make a first impression." Whatever Atlas might become over the next 2 years remains to be seen, but I suspect it's chance to become the runaway hit that Ark is was lost in those first 60 days. It might still become a solid game with a respectable playerbase, but most veteran gamers can tell you there is a significant portion of the gaming community that is ill informed and knows only the most sensational things it's heard about a given game. In Atlas's case that is likely to be "their launch was an absolute shit show" for a long time to come, almost regardless of what comes after.

Just now, Buck Rider said:

The reason is historically in MMOs character wipe have only happen when you are invited to a beta test that had a starting and an ending point. I can't recall a character wipe in an MMO that happened outside of that framework. Everyone expected big changes, but at this point without something other being stated, they expected their characters to persist through those changes.

I wasn't sure if we would get wipes during the EA or not, but I'm not in the least surprised that we are. Old traditional betas seem like they are largely a thing of the past in the face of the new EA model, which has it's merits for small indie developers and consumers, but is definitely a questionable model in the hands of more established studios. I bring this up not to sidetrack the conversation but to say that I am of the view that expectations based on the old beta model are probably of limited value at this point and going forward with regard to things like wipes.

27 minutes ago, Buck Rider said:

You realize EA is nothing more than a big long Beta right? (or alpha in some cases).

I'm really glad for a wipe, hopefully with a few decent press releases they might gain a bit of hype for the game again. Now there's a bit of information out about the game.

People can actually be informed what Atlas is and what it could be. Instead of a fancy trailer and a release a few weeks later. 

46 minutes ago, archaegeo said:

I absolutely refuse to believe that people are so naive that they thought there would not be multiple wipes throughout early access.

Its a two year development process.  You knew this when signing up.

Demanding no wipes, demanding increased rates post wipe, all of it, just stop.

This is part of the development and testing process.  If it is 10x after every wipe, there is no testing of levelling rates.

If you cant handle this, wait for 2 years for launch and then you get to be amazed at what will feel like a totally different game by then.

TBH, I wouldn't care at all about a wipe, if I was coming back in to start with some good new improvements.

Coming back in after a wipe with those slap-in-the-face pve changes though?  Who wants to do that?

I'm hoping to find out where to go from here by reading other people's posts about where they're going.  :classic_laugh:

2 minutes ago, archaegeo said:

You realize EA is nothing more than a big long Beta right? (or alpha in some cases).

That you paid for. (Important qualitative difference)

They have any right to wipe and people should have known this could happen. I’m a but surprised that it gets so much hate. 

8 minutes ago, archaegeo said:

I do realize that the meaning of EA has changed from the meaning it had for years and now has a new meaning.

The old meaning as used for many years did not mean beta. The new meaning as used by Atlas does mean beta.

So, you are in a way completely correct.

• Like 2

yeah used be they would put the phase they were in with EA saying its alpha or beta now they don't in hopes get more cash to help make the game

if you look at there home page you would think the game was out if you didn't look at steam

1 hour ago, Buck Rider said:

Have tested many MMOs over they years and they had multiple wipes throughout development especially early on and especially if massive changes are made to the game mechanics that basically effect the entire world.

I would also expect to see more wipes during development. 

Just now, Caldrin said:

Have tested many MMOs over they years and they had multiple wipes throughout development especially early on and especially if massive changes are made to the game mechanics that basically effect the entire world.

I have too,  but the wipes were always pre scheduled before you ever started your first minute of play.  And you were told it was an alpha or beta.

As much as I don't like losing everything I've built and all my tames, I knew that the official servers couldn't stay like they were forever. It was a giant mess and a lot of players were left out in the cold because they were late to the game and the way the claim system worked, (or didn't). There's player built trash littering everywhere, boats that have been abandoned for weeks or months even. It's all gotta go. 

So while I'm not super thrilled ultimately it's the only move they could make.  

• Like 1

Umm, if you look where you buy the game it 100% says EA and has the disclaimer.

1 hour ago, Archsenex said:

I have too,  but the wipes were always pre scheduled before you ever started your first minute of play.  And you were told it was an alpha or beta.

Untrue, the wipes were not always prescheduled, or if they were, only the dev team new about them.

We were informed sometimes with advanced warning, like now.

1 hour ago, Caldrin said:

Please name the MMO that had a character wipe outside of a defined beta test window without a beta start and stop date, that it was not clear that all data would be wiped at the end of that test window. Or an MMO that did a character wipe after people paid to play. I can't recall any and I have been in many.

It really comes down to words being redefined and given new meanings. 

For example the SWTOR development. They had alpha testing in house. Then early beta in house and late beta invites. Once beta was complete that whole server was taken offline, gone. Then it went to EA for if I recall correctly was 3 days, where all non-EA access player were blocked. Then retail release. From EA on the character data remained intact.

If they called it beta and didn't sell it... nobody would have said a word. 

You only see all the salt on the forum because many people thought the one thing that would persist through the Altas development now that it was sold and in EA would be characters, and the massive amount of time many put into them.

• Like 1

more than 500 hours lost by whiners who do not have their own land, it is pathetic damage done by children rat to online games, I am a player solitaire PVE I have more than 12 properties for a few weeks because I moved my ass to look for them in N8, I'm disgusted by people who want to have everything without trying

Just now, duque said:

more than 500 hours lost by whiners who do not have their own land, it is pathetic damage done by children rat to online games, I am a player solitaire PVE I have more than 12 properties for a few weeks because I moved my ass to look for them in N8, I'm disgusted by people who want to have everything without trying

It's easy to blame people that couldn't find land for the reasons the Devs decided to wipe, but anyone with a brain knows why the wipe is happening.

Everyone knows how bad the claim system was, the overlapping for one. I hate that there will be a wipe, but I agree that it is necessary, i'm not going to blame other players when it's not their fault. What I don't agree with is the claim system being completely removed from PvE, but hey i'm just gonna blame that on you for being you.

14 minutes ago, Buck Rider said:

Please name the MMO that had a character wipe outside of a defined beta test window without a beta start and stop date, that it was not clear that all data would be wiped at the end of that test window. Or an MMO that did a character wipe after people paid to play. I can't recall any and I have been in many.

It really comes down to words being redefined and given new meanings. 

For example the SWTOR development. They had alpha testing in house. Then early beta in house and late beta invites. Once beta was complete that whole server was taken offline, gone. Then it went to EA for if I recall correctly was 3 days, where all non-EA access player were blocked. Then retail release. From EA on the character data remained intact.

If they called it beta and didn't sell it... nobody would have said a word. 

You only see all the salt on the forum because many people thought the one thing that would persist through the Altas development now that it was sold and in EA would be characters, and the massive amount of time many put into them.

Which leads to a point I have made repeatedly in other threads before any of the current uproar came up. Early Access is qualitatively different from alpha or beta because it is paid. Developers have been happy to substitute EA in place of traditional free alpha and beta testing because it is revenue positive for them, but there is an underlying problem for all sides. EA players are paying, and therefore are customers, and therefore rightly feel they should have the right to have certain expectations of the product they are paying for. Yet the product is still under development and therefore subject to a great deal of change, including wipes.

The problem is that in order to balance these two potentially conflicting realities, there needs to be clear standards of what is and is not acceptable in Early Access products. Developers need these standards in order to avoid upsetting customers due to differences between development process needs and customer expectations (like oh for example, whether there will be wipes). Customers need these standards in order to make clearer, more informed decisions about whether EA products are right for them.

I knew it was coming they gotta do it and its early access like a beta Everything can be redone. 

33 minutes ago, duque said:

Thats not the reason for the wipe, maybe you have tons of time if you have 500 hours hell you got me beat and I am usually up there in time, but work over rules a video game. Its early access welcome to the beta