Percieval

March update: concerns

Just now, microphobe said:

this is the fear that most have and why i suspect communes will start to pop up with many small groups allying together to overthrow a land owner and set a tax bank to 1% or however much it costs to maintain without profit.

something I hope to see honestly, smaller groups ganging up on the big guys who are being bad landlords.

Yeah i'd like to see stuff like that going on. The others are right, there will be a lot of experiences of land owners removing small groups from their land, but land owners will also have to try and uphold some level of reputation. If land owners keep wiping small companies off their land they are digging their own grave. If you have land owners that have high respect for the people on their land then they'd have higher reputation.

So yeah I hope to see land owners experience small groups allying up to fight back if they have little regard for those on their land.

4 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Yeah i'd like to see stuff like that going on. The others are right, there will be a lot of experiences of land owners removing small groups from their land, but land owners will also have to try and uphold some level of reputation. If land owners keep wiping small companies off their land they are digging their own grave. If you have land owners that have high respect for the people on their land then they'd have higher reputation.

So yeah I hope to see land owners experience small groups allying up to fight back if they have little regard for those on their land.

the land owners will quickly find the benefits of sharing and maintaining good relations as if they anger their settlers they will either revolt or leave and give bad rep on the forums.

islands without settlers will cost a fortune to hold and be poorly defended.

given that there are limits to the number of islands you can hold it is bad business to hold an island that is not profitable unless it is VERY strategic. So no mega is going to want to hold an island that is costing them resources/time.

if upkeep scales with number of islands held it would be even worse.

It will take players a while to figure all this out but they will get there eventually.

The people have nothing to lose by trying to overthrow a bad landlord as they would have their stuff taken/demoed anyway.

1 hour ago, microphobe said:

this is the fear that most have and why i suspect communes will start to pop up with many small groups allying together to overthrow a land owner and set a tax bank to 1% or however much it costs to maintain without profit.

something I hope to see honestly, smaller groups ganging up on the big guys who are being bad landlords.

Hope it will go that way if the system stays this way. We have to see what happens. Would like to try test server and be a d... then and see how it works and how the players react

56 minutes ago, microphobe said:

the land owners will quickly find the benefits of sharing and maintaining good relations as if they anger their settlers they will either revolt or leave and give bad rep on the forums.

islands without settlers will cost a fortune to hold and be poorly defended.

given that there are limits to the number of islands you can hold it is bad business to hold an island that is not profitable unless it is VERY strategic. So no mega is going to want to hold an island that is costing them resources/time.

if upkeep scales with number of islands held it would be even worse.

It will take players a while to figure all this out but they will get there eventually.

The people have nothing to lose by trying to overthrow a bad landlord as they would have their stuff taken/demoed anyway.

Absolutely. This is why I think there shouldn't be too much concern about land owners acting badly. As you say it will take players a while to figure it all out so there may be some early mishaps where people get removed from islands, but it won't be long before that ceases to happen. If it happens in the future it is likely because the players on the land deserved it or have possible quit the game and gone inactive.

It's certainly not something I think people should demand a change for. If any land owners try to troll people, they'll soon find out how it will turn out for them.

3 hours ago, Arykos said:

no this idea is not pretty good, since the opposite is not the solution.. there was a reason why they allowed it... both sucks

What do you mean the opposite is not the solution? That isn’t my suggestion. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Percieval said:

What do you mean the opposite is not the solution? That isn’t my suggestion. 

Don't you think there is a reason why they allow landowner to destroy stuff? Because otherwise you will have tons of problems either.

The best thing would be, that the landowner can't destroy anything, but can allow specific companies to build on the island... So you don't take the risk of pillarspam etc.

the new claim system will be worse than the old one. every island will be controlled by big  companys. all small companys and solo players will be killed on sight.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Arykos said:

Don't you think there is a reason why they allow landowner to destroy stuff? Because otherwise you will have tons of problems either.

The best thing would be, that the landowner can't destroy anything, but can allow specific companies to build on the island... So you don't take the risk of pillarspam etc.

That doesn’t solve much. Since you can have cartel forming wrecking everyone’s ass and denying everything. The solution is not to give the land owner more power, but to make it less. 

Edited by Percieval
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Percieval said:

That doesn’t solve much. Since you can have cartel forming wrecking everyone’s ass and denying everything. The solution is not to give the land owner more power, but to make it less. 

why? If they change it like I said, it's basicly like it is now... just that you don't allow your allies to build.. you allow specific companies on the whole island.

there will always be traitor and intrigues

12 minutes ago, Arykos said:

why? If they change it like I said, it's basicly like it is now... just that you don't allow your allies to build.. you allow specific companies on the whole island.

there will always be traitor and intrigues

Sure. You’ll always keep that, but with my suggestion, you make sure the land owner and people on your land have a common goal. Making sure the land owner doesn’t delete all your stuff, and the people on the island need to protect themselves and the land owner. If he does something unacceptable, there will be enough people to kick him off the throne because he won’t be able to delete all your stuff 1 hour before. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Percieval said:

Sure. You’ll always keep that, but with my suggestion, you make sure the land owner and people on your land have a common goal. Making sure the land owner doesn’t delete all your stuff, and the people on the island need to protect themselves and the land owner. If he does something unacceptable, there will be enough people to kick him off the throne because he won’t be able to delete all your stuff 1 hour before. 

did you even read my post?

5 minutes ago, Arykos said:

did you even read my post?

Yes, like I said, yours makes the problem bigger, not smaller. If we do your suggestion, I already know what my company is gonna do. 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2019 at 12:47 PM, awakatanka said:

It already will be hard to defend against random little raids without big defences that only the owner can build.

Well my take on the way the flags and defences will work is, they only stated you cannot build or use defences on the island outside of the vulnerable time window or war time, but you CAN place them and have them active within this time frame, they will just be inert outside of them time zones, so if the island owner was a douche, it wouldn't take long before a successful uprising within the vulnerable window (+maybe time the war time ontop of that) unless they are defended to the teeth.

I plan to land grab a spot on wipe day and try be a benevolent dictator. EU-PVP. Come be a serf in my mighty kingdom 🙂 

24 minutes ago, Pizik said:

I plan to land grab a spot on wipe day and try be a benevolent dictator. EU-PVP. Come be a serf in my mighty kingdom 🙂 

I advise you to wipe the part they could hide the offense stuff and keep your slave small. Anything bigger then a 4 by 4 foundation is wipe. Everyone that earns less then 1000 gold and 10.000 resources wipe. But 1st part is most important because you need access to see if they hide offense stuff. Demand access to all our wipe. Only then you are the new kim jong un. Almost forgot. Build a big wall not to keep people out but to keep you slaves there.

Edited by awakatanka

24 minutes ago, KarmaComa said:

Well my take on the way the flags and defences will work is, they only stated you cannot build or use defences on the island outside of the vulnerable time window or war time, but you CAN place them and have them active within this time frame, they will just be inert outside of them time zones, so if the island owner was a douche, it wouldn't take long before a successful uprising within the vulnerable window (+maybe time the war time ontop of that) unless they are defended to the teeth.

Best thing to do is to hide any progress you’re making, and then to strike out of nowhere to kick the land owner off the throne. If I was a land owner and I saw a group of players making progress on my land and I’m not in contact with them, I’d be scared atleast a little bit. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Arykos said:

you didn't understand my post then.

I understand it, but it doesn’t say, change or will do anything good. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Percieval said:

seems like u didn't understand it since all your replys talking about something different.

14 minutes ago, Percieval said:

seems like u didn't understand it since all your replys talking about something different.

you idea in firstpost is useless btw

so the new meta will be a mega coming in before war time and spam building to set up bases and rally points, beds anything that will help them remove the owner from the island. The only defense to that is the owner being able to demolish the structures. if the owner isnt good to the other inhabitants then when the island gets raided they will have noone to help defend.  Either you become a community or get wiped by megas. 

to that regard atlas should allow one more alliance that every company that builds on an island is automaticaly joined into that islands alliance. if enemies build on the island without first taking it over they would lose the ability to capture the island , to attack

the power of your fleet becomes your strength and focus when trying to attack an opposing island

2 hours ago, Arykos said:

you idea in firstpost is useless btw

Well if you suggest something and I keep referring to that, it can get a bit confusing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, awakatanka said:

I advise you to wipe the part they could hide the offense stuff and keep your slave small. Anything bigger then a 4 by 4 foundation is wipe. Everyone that earns less then 1000 gold and 10.000 resources wipe. But 1st part is most important because you need access to see if they hide offense stuff. Demand access to all our wipe. Only then you are the new kim jong un. Almost forgot. Build a big wall not to keep people out but to keep you slaves there.

the problems with keeping the other companies small is that taxes are collected based upon what they harvest, if you make them stay small then they won't harvest as much and there will be less taxes. You also don't know how much each tribe is producing unless you assume more members = more harvesting so having bigger groups is better.

This type of claim system is one that the more I run scenarios the more I think it is well thought out as the peasants have huge influence over how easy the life of the land lord is.

9 hours ago, microphobe said:

the problems with keeping the other companies small is that taxes are collected based upon what they harvest, if you make them stay small then they won't harvest as much and there will be less taxes. You also don't know how much each tribe is producing unless you assume more members = more harvesting so having bigger groups is better.

This type of claim system is one that the more I run scenarios the more I think it is well thought out as the peasants have huge influence over how easy the life of the land lord is.

Let's hope so. But I think it's to easy for the landlord to think that solo player is not bring enough income for my island. But maybe he/she brings more then that group of 10.....

At the end the landlord has a problem but as slave you have a bigger problem. He/she needs to find a new island and begin from zero again..

On 3/1/2019 at 12:19 PM, Percieval said:

These are my concerns when I quickly run through the captain’s log. Feel free to react to the points if you agree or disagree.

General 

- Structures that are built on islands that are not Settlements can be raided at any moment

Why aren’t all island settlements? Or is this only limited to boss islands? This would give a huge disadvantage to the players on the non-settlement owners. Which will probably be the outskirts of the settlements, mostly solo players that need to benefit from this update more than the large companies. 

Claim flags

- There will be a hard limit on the total of claim flags per company. For example, 20.

I’m in a large company at the moment and I believe 20 is too much. That’s 20 islands, or 12,5 crew members per island with the cap of 250 members. All I can see in the future is us having 20 islands, whenever there’s a war or it’s raid time, all the rest of the company only need to defend 1 island at that time, or maybe a few more. The only way a war could be really effective against a large company would be if you declare war on all of the 20 islands at once, do a surprise attack on one of them and be fast enough to wipe something before all of the crew members have spawned on the island to defend it. What could work is to stop respawning at certain beds, or to make it so that you can’t respawn at beds during war times. Especially since you can spawn in every grid except gold ruins. 

Settlements

- Settlement owners must set a window of vulnerability, currently set to 9 hours, where their island is raidable. Outside of this window, players, structures and ships will not take damage from other players.

9 hours to me seems a lot. So I’m really interested in what period. 9 hours per 3 days? Per week? Per day is certainly way too much. This is not company based, which is a bit weird in my opinion. Why not make it 12 hours for large companies and maybe 4 hours for small companies.

- Anchored boats or docked boats will follow these same rules, if they are in the radius of the settlement.

This sounds to me as this; I just gathered a lot of gold and resources from other islands, I’m being attacked/chased down by an enemy ship, I get into someone’s or my own settlement territory, anchor up and I’m invincible. This could be exploited badly, my suggestion: Ships are still vulnerable until the cooldown of 30 seconds after the drop of the anchor has depleted. This does not apply to SoTD.

- Settlement owners can freely damage other characters and structures on their island.

I hope it is not like it’s stated to be. I can vanish entire buildings of people if I want to, I can break in, steal someone’s resources and be gone. What if you cap it with a timer. ‘Settlement owners are only able to destroy 5 building structures (walls, foundations etc) every x amount of hours.’ This means people can build bases where the loot is safe, behind some walls for example. The settlement owner can’t take your loot, there is no point in destroying your base other than loose pillars and foundations laying about. The ‘destroyed’ structured will be placed in your resource box, so there is no disadvantage if the settlement owner destroys cannons etc. And in the time of 5 hours, new people can settle in, or structures replaced to stop the settlement owner from getting to your resources.

- Wars will last a fixed period of time

In the stream, Jat said 12 or 24 hours. Why not determine the war time on the island’s level? If I have a huge island with a big company, I should be able to be attacked longer than they are to defend their small island.

I believe some of the suggestions given, like the raid and war times are decent enough to make the gap between small and large companies, smaller.

If you feel like 9h opening a day is allot, my suggestion would go to pve servers and ask them to have a option to go pvp when they want to themself. I would t like a game when you can only attack a person 4h each 3rd day. I like the pvp.. 

IMO, 12 hour per day forced raid window would have been better.  It needs to be big enough to cross into different parts of the world a least a little bit and past an extended play session for the average person so that people are encouraged to a) form guilds bigger than 2 people, b) encourage more people to live on your island as plebs for defense and c) not make it hard on those of us who like to pvp and work weird hours or make it a struggle to find people who have open windows.