SlobKing

Taming and how it actually works.

So I have seen a lot of false information lately on the forums about how taming works and how the systems are broken and just a lot of complaints about how it works as a whole. While I don't like all the aspects of it I have tamed a few animals without too many problems and will explain how I did so to help you.

So for the first thing about taming you have to unlock the beastmastery tree and then the taming skill in order to tame. There is three levels to the skill and certain creatures require certain levels. For instance a bunny or chicken is Taming 1 and a wolf is Taming 2.

Alright so now you've got the skill and are ready to tame something but how do you go about doing it? Well there is two different kinds of Taming that work different and require different things from the user. These two methods are passive taming, and Bola taming. 

Passive taming just like in Ark is pretty damn easy. You place the item required for taming in the last inventory slot of your hotbar and walk up to the animal with the required taming skill and just press e. It'll now display a taming complete bar under the ui for the creature as well as some other stats. It'll also trigger a cool down in which you must wait before feeding the animal the item again. Do this however many times is required and you will tame the creature. Examples of passive tames I can think of are : Bunnies, Chickens, Female Cows, and the little monkeys.

Bola taming is the other type of taming and this one has the most complaints/misinformation about it. Many people don't understand how this system works and I see people post on the forums saying it's broken etc etc. That's not true so please stop saying it. Now Bola taming itself is hard. Much harder than any taming I did in Ark and requires a lot of patience and typically a lot of death. My recommendation is to create a taming pen in which you lure the animal into and close a gate behind so it cannot escape. The walls should have window holes which can be built by going to place a wall and pressing t to change type of wall. Once you have got the animal in the pen to tame it you must lower it's health to the point where it is "entrapable" via the Bola. Typically it's when the animal is in the orange health of it's health bar. You can double check by selecting the Bola from your hotbar and aiming at the creature. It'll display text in green that says "Entrapable" if you can Bola the creature. Once you are able to you hold down left click to spin the Bola and let go when you want to throw it at said animal. (If you built a taming pen you can throw it through the window at the animal)

Alright so now you have got the Bola on the animal and it's on the ground and a timer that says "Bola escape in: xxx" this indicates when the animal will break out of it's Bola and recover roughly half of it's health. While the animal is bola'd you must walk up to it and with the item required to tame in your last hotbar press e just like passive taming. Things to note on this however is that unlike passive taming the animal will fight back. He will bite at you and knock you back if you get too close to the head. The easiest way to avoid this is to go behind its head where it can't attack you. Now once you feed it once it'll trigger the same stuff as passive tame with the ui and the cool down. Continue to feed it and eventually it'll escape the Bola. Once it escapes you must damage it to "Entrapable" range again and Bola it once more and rinse and repeat. Some examples of animals that require this method are: Wolves, Bears, Lions and Bulls.

For the current list of animals I know how to tame or have tamed it is as follows. If you guys discover more animals and how to tame them or want me to explain further please ask. I will attempt to keep this list updated.

Current tameable animals we know of:
Rabbit - passive tame with carrots
Cow - passive tame with rushes
Bull - Bola tame with rushes
Wolf - Bola tame with Bone
Lion - Bola tame with Prime meat
Tiny monkey - Passive tame with berries
Chicken - Passive tame with Berries
Pig - Passive tame with Maize
Horse - Bola tame with Sugar Cane
Bear - Bola tame with Honey

• Like 6
  • Thanks 8

It would be great if we could get an update as you figure out more tame conditions! Do you happen to know the mate timers on any of your tames? For instance Chickens were 24h re-mating timer for a fertalized egg. I’m curious if they are all 1day wait or if larger animals have a longer mate timer once tamed~ 

thanks!

2 hours ago, Akrosis said:

How do you get the Bola? I can't craft it.

To be able to craft a Bola you have to have beastmastery and taming 1. It's then crafted at the tannery

• Like 1

hi, can you help me please .

i bolas a wolf but when i'm close to him i don't have any ui for feed him i have bones on my last slot .....

i just have option for remove bolas ..

33 minutes ago, Satoshy87 said:

hi, can you help me please .

i bolas a wolf but when i'm close to him i don't have any ui for feed him i have bones on my last slot .....

i just have option for remove bolas ..

Do you have the Beastmastery level required ?

Edited by Starbuck

2 hours ago, Satoshy87 said:

yes i have all skill on beastmastery 

Assuming you have the tier 2 skill in taming under the beastmastery tree you will need to get super close to it. To the point where it is attacking you and feed it. It'll pop up but you gotta be super close.

IMO: The current taming system is completely crazy and far to complicated and slow to be very viable. The time it takes and the effort required to even bring in a very LOW level creature is trouble to say the least. Now it is as if everything is a 2+hour tame when you take into account you must bola and break the creature every 2 minutes and then stand there feeding it between bola, I attempted to tame an Ostrich level 2 and with 3 bola's and not only did it never tame it also had no progress bar at all.

The current system to me seems to make the effort far outweigh the benefits of animal taming. You can kill an animal fairly quickly compared to the length of time it takes to bring one under control and on top of that the current landscape makes the need for animals to haul, work and be useful almost completely pointless considering that an enemy can sit off shore with those cannons and rail your base at their leisure.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Garick said:

IMO: The current taming system is completely crazy and far to complicated and slow to be very viable. The time it takes and the effort required to even bring in a very LOW level creature is trouble to say the least. Now it is as if everything is a 2+hour tame when you take into account you must bola and break the creature every 2 minutes and then stand there feeding it between bola, I attempted to tame an Ostrich level 2 and with 3 bola's and not only did it never tame it also had no progress bar at all.

The current system to me seems to make the effort far outweigh the benefits of animal taming. You can kill an animal fairly quickly compared to the length of time it takes to bring one under control and on top of that the current landscape makes the need for animals to haul, work and be useful almost completely pointless considering that an enemy can sit off shore with those cannons and rail your base at their leisure.

While I believe most of this to be true I'm not sure about how I feel about saying all animals are useless. Sheep can provide hide passively which is decent. Cows provide milk which gives vitamin D which is pretty good if you don't wanna fish. Bull are absolutely amazing at gathering berries. Assuming bears are similar to Ark their fiber gathering would make them very useful.

• Like 1

This has me wondering if they having taming....disabled in the starter areas.

I have yet to see a 'taming bar'  it's either a loop of 'feed', 'does not want to be tamed' or  after several, the 'feed to tame' option locks and place and you do nothing but continue lose/waste items.

So...I am confused. I keep hearing bulls take rushes...so I have up to taming three (should be more than enough for a bull...) and I took it down iwth a bola...I go up with bare hands, rushes in my last slot, and it only gives me the option to remove the bola. What am I doing wrong exactly?

11 hours ago, DeadMeat said:

This has me wondering if they having taming....disabled in the starter areas.

I have yet to see a 'taming bar'  it's either a loop of 'feed', 'does not want to be tamed' or  after several, the 'feed to tame' option locks and place and you do nothing but continue lose/waste items.

you have to stand in front of the animal's face and point to its head

🐑 / 🐏Sheep/Ram - 🌼chamomile - (Taming - time for a L8 "ram" was ~ 30 min.)

I tamed a Ram and I could ride it. (1. Beastmaster 2. over skill "ride") - *but a huge l200+ Alpha Wolf 🐺have eat my "highspeed" ram 🐏

• Haha 1

Would be nice if they had a generic rope that could be used to better secure a Bola'd animal or person. Bola to "capture" and rope to "Secure" for taming. Or cages. Actually drag it into the cage.  

• Like 2

To tame a giraffe,youll need beer.

Parrots take hardtack  which is craftable after learning cooking 1.

• Like 1

So by sheer luck I managed to tame a horse (it was stuck in the terrain). I had to claim the land it was stuck on, then build a pen around it, beat the hell out of it and bola it about a 20 times, and after about an hour for the total process I claimed the level 2 horse. Fun fact if you don't have beastmastery 2 you can't even ride the horse even if someone else saddles it. The cart saddle I don't get you can't load anything on it. Overall the horse taming should be a passive like Ark. I did this all on a private server, I couldn't image trying to do this on a public server.

6 hours ago, PlankGJE said:

So by sheer luck I managed to tame a horse (it was stuck in the terrain). I had to claim the land it was stuck on, then build a pen around it, beat the hell out of it and bola it about a 20 times, and after about an hour for the total process I claimed the level 2 horse. Fun fact if you don't have beastmastery 2 you can't even ride the horse even if someone else saddles it. The cart saddle I don't get you can't load anything on it. Overall the horse taming should be a passive like Ark. I did this all on a private server, I couldn't image trying to do this on a public server.

Yeah in my experience the entire taming process needs an overhaul.  I like the bola idea in concept but its way to hard as it is currently implemented.  Why does a bola only last 1.5 mins?  Why would something want to be tame around me and follow my commands after i beat it senseless multiple times and let it back up to keep beating it, thats just sadistic.  Whats wrong with just caging or tying something up to feed it randomly to build trust or something, really anything but what the current system is.

• Like 6