Sign in to follow this  
Czaar

SUGGESTION to help save our land in PVE!

I really hope they do major reworks on their plans for pve, but if we must deal with the changes, I have a suggestion on a tweak on it.

Patch notes from what it sounds like:

Decay will happen on all floors, walls, ceilings, chests(?), crafting stations 24/7.
As they take damage, you can put resources into a repair structure which automatically repairs all your structures over time. (within an area?)
This is similar to how NPCs repair boats when idol and parked.
This is implemented to try and free up inactive land so new players can find places to build. Sounds cool right?

Potential issues:

Foundation spam everywhere.

Grapeshot thoughts for this to work:

Upkeep costs means no infinite pillars.

Reasons I don't think that will work:
Currently those foundations go byebye when the owners don't reset the timers, aka walk near them every so often. There is already SOME sort of upkeep. It might not require farming but people aren't just placing down pillars to leave and forget about them. They want those foundations to be there. So they'll upkeep. If that upkeep is 5% of the mats to build it everyday, that's like... up to under 100 thatch, wood, fiber per week on every foundation. But those with even a tiny thatch house in a small plot of land will have at least 15x the upkeep.

Why not just increase upkeep costs?
It penalizes those who are legitimately trying to make any sort of build. A player can block off a large portion of land with 20 foundations spread apart. And only pay MUCH LESS upkeep to keep that there than say a person with a 4x5 (TINY) house with walls and a roof, plus chests, crafting stations and all else. How much can they really increase upkeep costs before it's unfeasible for even a small company house? They surely cannot increase it enough to keep trolls or land ransomers from blocking the surrounding area building rights. We'll all be living in our boats soon.

High upkeep costs will also sway people away from making MAGNIFICENT builds. And that will be very sad to see go away. Everything will become just tiny efficient, bare min, houses and/or boat docks. Except, of course, main bases of large companies.

SUGGESTION:

Foundations create a claim of sorts. And the upkeep scales to the area of land (or % of land in the server) you have blocked by your buildings INSTEAD upkeep on every wall, ceiling, floor, roof, crafting station, chest, boat dock, etc. If the upkeep is based on area taken up on the map, then people will be more inclined to not spread out, so more land will be available. But they are also not penalized on upkeep in an attempt to keep foundation spam down, instead the foundation spammers will take the penalty.

I've never done video game work but I feel like that might be hell to implement. So another lesser-effective suggestion but likely easier:
Only foundations that block building have upkeep costs. So builders won't be paying upkeep on every single piece of the house.  And they will not have to pay crazy significantly more upkeep than the foundation spammers. Then maybe you can raise upkeep prices a solid amount to weed out some foundation spammers.

I'd really love people to still make amazing builds to explore.

Thank you for reading.

Edited by Czaar

Super spectacular builds will be a thing of the past, most people will prefer to have a small base with minimal repair costs associated with it. Those that want to make super coll things like that base that was featured in the captains log will all move to unofficial servers without the upkeep costs and no one will ever see them.