INVALID

Captain's Log 22: March Milestone & Official Server Wipe

Hi @Evza@Jatheish,

I hope you are doing well.

As we spoke last night regarding the PvE Claim flags, I wanted to give you my thoughts and suggestions for a solution.

I would like to suggest that you keep the system with some changes.

• Increase the size of the land flag to the size of the current sea flag.
  • Remove the sea flag.
  • Flags no longer changes ownership of items/buildings (just cant build anymore w/o permissions)
  • Limit the land claims to 1 per person per server, with up to 3 maximum servers (I can have a base in K1, E6, O10/ With 1 claim in each server).
  • Companies should have the per person rule applied until the company has 3 flags in a single server. I.e 2 person company has 2 per server, 3 has 3 per server. 4 players has 3 flags, etc.
  • However once a company hits a certain size the maximum servers increases: (Numbers for example) 10 players get 4 servers (of 3 flags, 12 total); 50 gets 6 (15 total); 100:12 etc. (This pushes for large companies to spread around the world, building empires/shipping routes, etc)

Build into this an exponential decay/resource upkeep and I think you will have a balanced claim system. This allows for large companies to own many outposts, while also giving smaller companies the opportunity to have multiple outposts at the same time. This solution also gives a guaranteed safe area for players free from pillaring/foundational spam.

However, with limiting claims you run the risk of not having access to water (ship building) and unclaimable areas (due to a claim being too close) going to waste. This is where I hate to admit it but "lawless" build needs to be allowed. 4 day decay + auto-repair and hp decay, plus no foundation blocking of spawns rules apply here.

It allows for players to build (even after they hit their claim limit) and for those who cant find land to still play.

In the future a "fluid" claim zone would be amazingly nice to have (no spaces between yours and another's claim).

As for the other stuff, I'm not too keen on the everything being blocked behind the Kraken.

As always numbers can be balanced :)

Best Regards,

Gin

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kidori said:

We will see how it plays out.

However, you (devs) would be wise to have a backup plan in place and ready to implement before the wipe if the feedback on the PTR servers goes nuclear.

The PTR works well for checking the implementation of some changes, to make sure that they don't completely bork things.  Unfortunately, the limited number of people that will use the PTR are the dedicated people who want to play the game and make it better. They aren't the same people who will grief the hell out of the live servers.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MeatSammich said:

The PTR works well for checking the implementation of some changes, to make sure that they don't completely bork things.  Unfortunately, the limited number of people that will use the PTR are the dedicated people who want to play the game and make it better. They aren't the same people who will grief the hell out of the live servers.

1. Wondering if the 1 week they're planning to have this patch on PTR will be long enough for more than 1 iteration of feedback. 
  2. The more potential for grief we can identify and report during PTR, hopefully the fewer opportunities for it on live!

I noticed that the patch notes still show the 7 new main quests (though I may have missed it listed here), but the daily missions seem to have been removed from the notes, is this no longer planned or is it just pushed back?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Polar Express said:

They have essentially added pve to pvp. This is good imo. The landlord system is good too. The pillar spam shouldn’t happen due to upkeep. All these things are good. No solo or small company should own a whole island. That’s ludicrous. If you want your own island I suggest populating one of the dead unofficial servers. You can have 10 islands if you like. Raid windows is a good idea. So you won’t see salty small groups bitching on forums that they were offlined. 

The pve servers will end up with seperate rules and their own updates like what has happened in the past. Pvpve is a good balance to this game. Actual pve players seem to be the only ones in this entire thread complaining about the update as a whole. Chill out guys. It’s not even out yet. There are no real details on anything yet. The way the devs are leading the game is good imo and I’m sure a lot of other people agree. Ask pvp players in general. This sound a little bit like kid gloves but I’m sure most will acknowledge that it will stop small groups and solos complaining because there isn’t really a reason to anymore. 

I like the proposed changes.

I think part of the reason the PvE community is complaining is the difference in explanations of coming changes during the stream.

What they said about the changes to PvP sounded well thought out.  It was coherent and, while not a guarantee that it'll work as they think, it's definitely worth finding out .  It could be really interesting.  They've obviously had some very productive brainstorming sessions.  Awesome.

Then you get to the description of changes to PvE... There really wasn't a whole lot there, was there?  Maybe they'll get back to it later but right now it seems like there were no brainstorming sessions for this side of the game.  There was no coherent framework explained as there was for PvP changes.  Might work out just fine, but adding upkeep and calling it a day doesn't really inspire that much confidence. 

I do think the PvP changes coming sound intriguing though and if their vision can become reality, it sure does have a lot of potential.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Kveldulf said:

I think part of the reason the PvE community is complaining is the difference in explanations of coming changes during the stream.

What they said about the changes to PvP sounded well thought out.  It was coherent and, while not a guarantee that it'll work as they think, it's definitely worth finding out .  It could be really interesting.  They've obviously had some very productive brainstorming sessions.  Awesome.

Then you get to the description of changes to PvE... There really wasn't a whole lot there, was there?  Maybe they'll get back to it later but right now it seems like there were no brainstorming sessions for this side of the game.  There was no coherent framework explained as there was for PvP changes.  Might work out just fine, but adding upkeep and calling it a day doesn't really inspire that much confidence. 

I do think the PvP changes coming sound intriguing though and if their vision can become reality, it sure does have a lot of potential.

Another part is that people that dont play PvE dont know what its like to see your precious resources blocked of by some random kid that plops down a single foundation in your nodes and there is nothing you can do about it with these new changes.

With the claimflags you could atleast change the area to be company only and remove the offending foundation after the timer expired.

Even though i play PvE i think the PvP changes sound great, it will help smaller and bigger companies to not get offlined (which we all know is among the worst that can happen).

The settlement stuff sounds really cool but it feels more of a PvE change than a PvP change to some extent. As you said, we still need more information on the PvE side of things before we can make any assumptions but its important that we dont just lay down and die and wait for the PTR to hit (which isnt even guaranteed to have a PvE server). Especially not if they only put them up 1 week before the planned date since by the time that week has gone and the wipe has gone through before they are able to sift through all the feedback on the new system and by then it will be to late to change it without causing another uproar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Please adjust the PVE stance, if you allow building everywhere you are either going to end up with foundation spam or its going to be so expensive to upkeep your structures that it prevents those who love to build bases (a large chunk of Atlas/Ark) as they will have to be mindlessly farming to upkeep their castle.

There is no middle ground. People will be building on resource spawns with little or nothing to do about it.

THE SOLUTION!!!

1. Limit claim flags to 1 per person.

2. Increase the claim flag size to roughly halfway between the current sea claim and current land claim size.

There is plenty of land in Atlas today in PVE if you exclude the select few who own 100+ flags.

Everyone wins.

1. It solves the land grab and lack of land to claim

2. It allows companies to protect valuable resource spawns

3. It prevents pillar spam

4. It removes the need to endlessly grind resources to afford the upkeep

5. You still have a place to make your own, to build on as you wish without being impeded by your neighbor

So much more, the system works, just limit us all to 1 claim flag per person.

We love this game, we love to build & breed, you fixed breeding, now don't make it so that we are all stuck with tiny little bases as its so expensive to maintain.

If you make it too inexpensive to maintain then we get pillar spam.

Either way, we lose, please, keep the flag system, just modify it, 1 per person is plenty!!!! and there is enough space for it and more!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kveldulf said:

Exactly.  You notice the only mention of PvE was a tiny afterthought at the end of the Captain's Log.   At the moment, Grapeshot is fixing up some honey-baked PvP ham for their Atlas sandwich.  PvE is merely the mayonnaise schmear on their bread (pun intended).

March Atlas PvE update.JPG

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Polar Express said:

They have essentially added pve to pvp. This is good imo. The landlord system is good too. The pillar spam shouldn’t happen due to upkeep. All these things are good. No solo or small company should own a whole island. That’s ludicrous. If you want your own island I suggest populating one of the dead unofficial servers. You can have 10 islands if you like. Raid windows is a good idea. So you won’t see salty small groups bitching on forums that they were offlined. 

The pve servers will end up with seperate rules and their own updates like what has happened in the past. Pvpve is a good balance to this game. Actual pve players seem to be the only ones in this entire thread complaining about the update as a whole. Chill out guys. It’s not even out yet. There are no real details on anything yet. The way the devs are leading the game is good imo and I’m sure a lot of other people agree. Ask pvp players in general. This sound a little bit like kid gloves but I’m sure most will acknowledge that it will stop small groups and solos complaining because there isn’t really a reason to anymore. 

I like the proposed changes.

So if 50 PVE players don't like the proposed updates but you do though you are PVP, does that mean you are the only one who is right?

Seriously dude stop going on about PVE. It's not what you play. Leave us PVE people to try and express our disappointment and wish for these changes to be stopped for PVE.

Thisis what the forums and feed back.

To be honest I don't care you like the changes for PVP. Great wonderful brilliant. Just shut up about PVE and the fact we don't like it. We are entitled to not like the changes. You are not important enough to tell us to chill out. We dont want to. Enough.

• Like 1

March Atlas PvE update.JPG

300 hours of the game to the garbage I can not claim land whatever you build will be damaged over time. Ah, but they are going to give me a stupid hat that will replace my gold boats and resources that will take me away. Of course it sounds fair! I'm left with nothing and fuck the pve, but what else will I have a hat! Give me back my money and put your stupid hat up your ass.

Edited by andariego
  • Like 2

I understand why there is going to be a server wipe, but I feel like everything I've grinded for all this time was for nothing.   Finally after searching and searching for days, maybe weeks,  I found a good place to lay down a base of operations, built a home with my shipyards and it's all going to be destroyed.

So basically there's almost no point in playing until the wipe occurs.

I think this is going to be my last early access game.  I don't want to pay to beta test anymore. 

• Like 2

It's like watching a really long movie and discovering at the end, it was all just a dream.

Surely there could have been a better way than a complete wipe.  I almost feel that was the easy way out.

This game is/ was a huge grind to start with.  Now all that was for nothing.

Early access shouldn't mean "beta access".  Only on beta servers you can expect everything you've done count for nothing, and could be wiped at any time.

Like I said before, I'm not paying to be a beta tester anymore.

Do not like the new claim system at all...may as well get rid of claims period and just have no flags and no settlements...I think the current claim system actually DOES work, the problem is you guys never removed legacy flags under a different rule set. I had neighbors with overlapped flags, 3-4 in the same area as one should be, I couldn't do that because the new ruleset assigned to my flag prevented me from placing a new flag within that flag's claim area. If you had done a simple wipe and restricted claim flags to 1 per person that would have been enough to solve those issues. Like usual though, you overcompensated and made it overly complex to solve a simple problem, you guys actually somehow managed to make your game worse which I didn't think was possible...what a shame.

• Thanks 1

There is no sense of accomplishment without difficulty.

• Thanks 1

300 heures de jeu perdu ... pour au final avoir un chapeau moche en cadeau 😄 ok le patch est coool mais franchement ... le reset est horrible ... vous avez déjà perdu la moitié de vos joueurs ... vous allez perdre encore une moitié de la moitié qui reste 😞 La pire chose le reset surtout après autant de temps ....

Most of the upcoming changes are welcome or interesting, your patch has potential and the game might get better and better.

Yet your decision of wiping the characters is unnecesary and in my opinion totally disappointing, most people including me spent a good portion of their gameplay levelling up their characters, I myself decided to invest a major portion of the game to farm discovery points to then be able to enjoy the game and chill later on. which means that I have given up on fun and enjoyment of the game to farm discoveries, which was ok and worth it for the character and now you decide to wipe them making us all have to do it again? Characters have nothing to do with your upcoming patch, only companies, building etc have to do with it. If u want to force a wipe reset us all to lvl 1 but at least allow us to keep our discovery points, its too much of a struggle to get them all back again. Since you made it kind of a core part of the game to farm discoveries, which can be fun for the first few hours and it then gets tiring and surely not fun, you should really think this through, its getting a lot of people mad and you have never explained why you are doing this.(character-wise).  Please either explain us why you are doing this or just let us keep our characters. I mean, after playing your games for  years, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that your explanation was something like: 'we aren't able to wipe the servers and keep the characters untouched because of the way we store information in our database'.  But at least that would be some kind of an explanation (not a good excuse, but a valid one), right now all we know is that we are gonna lose everything, even what is not needed to be lost, because of.... yeah we have no clue. And the advantage thing and all is pointless. if that was the case you'd have to wipe the server every day to keep it safe and fair. I hope that you wont wipe the servers and characters again in a month due to another major exploit. There will always be exploit, it's bound in your way of implementing stuff and in the engine you are using and especially in the EA concept itself.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MeatSammich said:

What we need is a dedicated group of testers to "test out" these new changes.  I'm betting 1 week is long enough to demonstrate the ultimate results at least in one map sector.  🤨

After that one can just extrapolate, even though that requires...math.    1 week with 4 people can produce X, so 2 weeks with 300 people can produce Y.

One Wipe ... Ok there will be more Wipes in Future.... so all you do after wipe will be wiped again.. May? June? 

a Hat? Really?  What game would you play where you invest 500 hours to get a cosmetical hat?

Did anybody else hear about rumours of  something like game design / motivation / keeping player interested / motivated?

like for example progression systems ... ? leveling? Badges? Achievements?  Gathering? Building? ......

Wiping everythign ist just the easy way out... there are alternative options....

So everybody gets motiviated / satisfaction in any kind of progress .... RIP

Edited by SeekTheOne

I don't mind a server wipe that's coming but why can't you save the progression of our Pathfinders now that they log out of the world completely, it's the releveling of our pathfinders that is the grind, unless you give us a x6 week [7days] after the wipe.

is there a way to save the pathfinders progression?

or if not then PLEASE give us a week of x6 to give us a chance to get back to where we are now.

• An alliance now only contains a maximum of 4 companies
  • A company can only be in 2 different alliances at a time.

This pretty much kills anything other then mega companies. A mega company can only have 6 other companies as allies, why would they waste spots on small companies. Currently if a mega comes into your little square you basically get the choice, ally, merge or wipe. Ally isn't really ally, it isn't a you help us, we help you kind of deal, it is a you help us and we won't wipe you. With that choice gone you get merge or wipe. Limiting alliances might sound like a good way to get rid of the giant dominating alliances we currently have, but all it is going to do is force everyone to merge because the only way to not get wiped is to be in one of the 2 or 3 big alliances that will still dominate and the only way to be in those will be to get as close as 250 players on your roster as you can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phyreforge said:

I don't mind a server wipe that's coming but why can't you save the progression of our Pathfinders now that they log out of the world completely, it's the releveling of our pathfinders that is the grind, unless you give us a x6 week [7days] after the wipe.

is there a way to save the pathfinders progression?

or if not then PLEASE give us a week of x6 to give us a chance to get back to where we are now.

Unless they're also going to make sailing 6x faster so I can get to several hundred islands to get my discovery points back, it won't matter.  They tied leveling to a major time sink.  Resource gathering was the smallest issue

14 hours ago, Seren Du said:

So if 50 PVE players don't like the proposed updates but you do though you are PVP, does that mean you are the only one who is right?

Seriously dude stop going on about PVE. It's not what you play. Leave us PVE people to try and express our disappointment and wish for these changes to be stopped for PVE.

Thisis what the forums and feed back.

To be honest I don't care you like the changes for PVP. Great wonderful brilliant. Just shut up about PVE and the fact we don't like it. We are entitled to not like the changes. You are not important enough to tell us to chill out. We dont want to. Enough.

C h i l l b r o. 

16 hours ago, Kveldulf said:

Your post is honestly the most understandable, coherent, honest and constructive post here. 

You very importantly state the actual issue that no other pve player has stated and i commend you on that. Honestly. 

There is not alot of information regarding pve and planned changes there yet. The devs have essentially only mentioned pvp server balances and changes. The pve servers run under a seperate set of rules and did at launch and all the way through the beta so far. 

In my opinion, this is probably why i feel inclined to tell some of the more melodramatic pve players in this thread to chill out. No one truely knows what is coming to pve from this captains log. The devs eluded very vaguely in some cases. But there is nothing in concrete for anyone.

As a pvp player.

I like these changes. I want the lowering of the pvp difficulty curve  to be something pve players may enjoy aswell. That is the main take away for me from the new updates. I want people to play on the pvp server and have fun regardless of their personal play style choice. It was never meant to be an attack until i was attacked by doomsayers saying the game will die. 

Enjoy the game everyone. Please for gods sake let the devs just put something out the way they developed it for once without it being changed many many times before it lands. This has lead to so many catastrophic fuck ups in the past. I have played from launch and i dont want repeats of the SOTD night, the stone wall patch, the second claim overhaul. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1