INVALID

Captain's Log 22: March Milestone & Official Server Wipe

One of the best ideas that came up in a recent stream with the Dynasty and Sexy Cat Alliance leaders was the idea an island's claim flag should be contested on *water* not on land.

Ship to ship combat being the funnest part of this game, why not make ship to ship combat the most important thing, where you have to contest an offshore claim flag to take an island, not the unfun running around on land business from Ark

Food for thought
2 minutes ago, Nicolas said:

Thanks for finally limiting alliances and company sizes! This should really help smaller groups

It won't.  Large alliances will set up a network of smaller alliances and "unofficial" alliances to get around the limit.  

Edited by Urthor

Who cares about being taxed in a game where mats can be gathered in 100k range quickly regardless?

Why you don't make a big PVPVE cluster? it's the best option for an mmo.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Asanna said:

I'm already in game prepping my city for the party, making the race tracks and everything!

I am looking forward to it now!! I will bring a crap ton of flares!! 🎉🎆

1 minute ago, Urthor said:
One of the best ideas that came up in a recent stream with the Dynasty and Sexy Cat Alliance leaders was the idea an island's claim flag should be contested on *water* not on land.

Ship to ship combat being the funnest part of this game, why not make ship to ship combat the most important thing, where you have to contest an offshore claim flag to take an island, not the unfun running around on land business from Ark

Food for thought

you're trippin balls

Have various areas pve other pvp... seemed like the best option since they just killed pve anyway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StarWhispers said:

I am looking forward to it now!! I will bring a crap ton of flares!! 🎉🎆

I didn't even think of that! I'll make like 6 chests just full of them!

3 minutes ago, Urthor said:

It won't.  Large alliances will set up a network of smaller alliances and "unofficial" alliances to get around the limit.  

Okay?

And how do they tell their AI to not attack these "unofficial allies"? And good luck using spyglass every other 30s in the middle of intense naval battles to tell the difference. There'll be a lot of crossfire. 

Edited by Nicolas
  • Like 1

@Jatheish 

i really hope you will make real PVE rule because with your new way, the spam of pilar for blocking other player will be the only rule on PVE 😞 

player are Selfish, dont forget this universal rule on a MMO 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ReilanT said:

@Jatheish 

i really hope you will make real PVE rule because with your new way, the spam of pilar for blocking other player will be the only rule on PVE 😞 

player are Selfish, dont forget this universal rule on a MMO 

People* are selfish, its a universal rule of life*.

• Like 1

I hope that the update of the map editor will occur earlier, along with the launch of the test servers.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MattOfSmith said:

People* are selfish, its a universal rule of life*.

This is a very true thing. PvE will essentially be nothing but entire island completely blocked off by pillars and foundation, disallowing ANYONE but the major company (PvP state servers being the owner company) of the island to be able to build. If the owner company needs to expand...oh look, pop pillars and foundations not attached to the main inhabited areas.

Also, my company is in the same grid, different island, of MattOfSmith and are allied. Given that the island Matt's company controls is a major island for fiber in the grid, I'd be more than happy to pay his tax whether it be 10%, as it is, or 30%.

My company owns a fair amount of another island in the grid. People that complain about not having space to build or to call home we've been reasonable in setting land where our main facilities are not located, primarily our main trade warehouse, bestiary, and shipyards. Those that have asked nicely have places, within land claim regions, to build and to use as their own. Those that have come in and have been complete ***hats about not being able to find land and attempting to steal out land from our company or our allies, or those that afk macro park on an area we're currently trying to clear from another company and block any activity from happening, who's not even been in game long enough than other to reset their claim timers, when we've been able to. This being primarily to reopen resource areas of the island or to reopen shoreline spaces or areas that are ideal for residential construction for company and/or even solo players.

Players being able to build anywhere under this new system, as it's been mentioned several times, is only going to promote pillars and foundation blocks to be placed every 5 steps to prevent people from other companies or solo players from building...at all. A good current relation to this is look at Lawless servers. Another major downside to this is with this being a thing that's, not possible to happen but will DEFINITELY happen, is every single conceivable server is going to become a massive lagfest. Every piece of construction outside system map assets is tracked and managed by the servers. 10,000 pillars blocking off an island, no matter where you are in the server, is gonna put the server to a complete performance crawl.

Edited by Roknori
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Irisa~moon said:

I really wish you would allow claim flags for PVE.  This sounds like basically all of our servers will be like lawless.  That means that people can come in and kill out spawns or prevent you from building by blocking and then there is the fact on lawless rocks and trees will spawn through the foundations.  I really do hope you rethink PVE version of this.  I feel we are getting crapped on.

I second that. Grapeshot needs to realize that PVE isn't about killing other players. Land trade and resouce control is a large part of that. By allowing everyone to build everywhere you essentially destroy a market for resources.

• Like 1

- Claim flags will no longer prevent enemy building. You can now build anywhere, and only structure build radius will prevent it. This is a non-default, which will be enabled on our PvP Networks.

This is probably the worst thing you can do to the PvE scene. You need to open up the entire map on PvE aswell so you can see firsthand what the no-claims will be when you drop the update.

As others have said it will be pillars and foundations everywhere not only to block others from building, but to prevent resources from spawning. We already see it on multiple places out in the world where people come in and place a single foundation with a bed on it right in the middle of metal node spawns - or even worse close to mineral oil nodes essentially blocking them off preventing anyone else from getting said material.

You already have a new claim system in place for PvP why not let that same system be on PvE and hardlimit it per company to a very strict number that can be changed later on if needed - 3 would be more than enough even for the largest company since they can claim the biggest island they can find and hold it, this way we dont need to farm like mad just to keep our structures alive due to the natural decay but it will still allow people to build on the island and it will allow for some repairupkeep to be gained passively which helps smaller companies that hold smaller islands.

I really hope you reconsider on when the PTR goes up as 1 week wont be long enough to see the actual changes and how it affects the game on a larger scale and i hope that it will be one with the PvP settings and one with the PvE settings since the two will play out entirely different.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Enki Anunnaki said:

im really digging it. i feel for those who will lose their pixels but damn this was needed. i can't wait to test it on the test server.

I am with you on that. I have over 400+ hours of game play so losing our company's stuff sucks, but I really looking forward to testing the changes and new things on the test server!

• Like 1

I've never seen a company as tone deaf as Grapeshot. You literally have hundreds of suggestions on the forums and reddit - some good, some bad, some feasible, some impossible...and this is what you give us?

You guys manage to do literally the exact opposite of what the majority of your player base wants, damn near every time.

People LIKED the claim system due to it stopping the griefing that was so prevalent in Ark. What they didn't like was that a couple companies could take over the whole map and not leave any room for anyone. Instead of limiting PVE claims to a reasonable number,  like you are in PVP, even 10-20 per company, you get rid of the PVE claim system entirely, and leave everyone open to foundation/pillar spam griefing, resource blocking, ship blocking, etc - with the added kick in the teeth that its not Ark - if there are douchebags who pillar/foundation the most desirable areas to stop anyone from having them, you can't just find another server with a lower assclown ration.

You're even adding over 200 new islands for people to pillar and spam to unusableness. You have a pissed off playerbase, with a lot of time on their hands. Do you really think that a portion of them aren't going to make life as miserable as possible for anyone who attempts to keep playing?  If you would re-think this to something like limit claims to 10 per company, 20 per company with at least 25 members, and 50 per company with 50+ members, as well as opening the 200 new islands, and even open lawless to be claimable, that would open more than enough land for anyone currently playing, and anyone who wants to play in the future.

People didn't want to be tenants because they had 0 protections against landlords pulling their build rights, which killed that dead in the water. Instead of fixing it so that people had a reason to be tenants, with basic protections, it turned into 'Nope, burn it all down..."

People wanted to be able to trade easily and efficiently, for all kinds of goods, taking all kinds of payments. They wanted reasons to go visit other people's lands, they wanted to give people a reason to visit their land, and reasons to go to far off lands, acquire goods, and easily re-sell them to their neighbors for profit. Nope, you get vendors in freeport, for gold only.

People didn't want the wipe, due to discovery points, etc. Bases, resources, blueprints, etc...yeah, they suck to get and rebuild. Instead of just a land and item wipe, Nope, clean slate. - this isn't as bad as the others, but, still going to cost more players than just the land/item wipe would have.

This has been a consistent theme, all the way back to the ship weight griefing. People wanted their ships to be safe when they logged off, and suggested that if the ship was at anchor, it wouldn't take overweight damage. Nope, we get magic fly traps.

Yeah, I know, these are all PVE concerns, because thats mainly where I play, but I know that the PVP side is just as pissed about having to pencil wars in their date book, among other things.

The people who compared the games trajectory to No Mans Sky, or Rust, saying that "Oh, Grapeshot said they're listening to the players now. They're going to turn it around.", aren't doing that so much any more. I'm kinda scared to see what the Steam review are going to look like going forward.  When we asked you to listen to the players, we didn't mean to listen to what we were saying, and decide to implement the opposite, or the most half-ass way of what we were asking for.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

so what i just read was there will be no point in playing until the end of march. and smaller pve servers should just quit now.    ship squads are a bad idea being ships of the damned already spawn out of control or in squads as you are now calling it on most private servers and make it insane to get from one island to the next. making the sub a kraken kill only is dumb for pve players. once that is dead whats left to do  play with a toy sub?   you guys tell us we can have a trade market soon but take away claims to kill any chance at a working fruitful trade market.  please stop spiting on us PVE players all we want to do is build a really cool world and kill the damned and monsters of that world with a few friends. 

• Like 2

We will see how it plays out.

However, you (devs) would be wise to have a backup plan in place and ready to implement before the wipe if the feedback on the PTR servers goes nuclear.

Also, never announce a surprise wipe this far ahead of time. Either give it a set schedule out of the gate or announce it 24-48 hours before it happens, but never give people just enough time to decide nothing's worth doing in the game and get hooked on some other game between the announcement and wipe.

Edited by Kidori
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are aware that the more you relax, the fewer simultaneous connections you have.

To be able to make a ship easily means that you will need more shallowness to keep that ship. It would not be enough to add 200 islands.

I dont realy see why no to left claim flags be on pve servers. all what is needed is to add upkeep cost for them.

This is so stupid. 350 hours for nothing. Hope you allow refunds cuz this is not the game i bought.

Enjoy new players and lose the one you got..

Two Massive Mistakes :

1. Wiping characters... well mostly their Discovery Points. The time and effort that goes into finding those is immense. You really know how to annoy a majority of your customers off. 

2. Under no circumstances announce a complete wipe so far in advance. You pretty much just drove the nail into the coffin of the players base for the next 3 weeks. A lot of players are going to wander off and during that time many are going to find new games to play... they won't be coming back.

If you are going to wipe that far in advance, at  least let people keep their DP's as it will give them an incentive to keep playing for the next 3 weeks.

• Like 1

My ideal PVE server - a larger radius for the flags. 3 flags per person and less per corporation, i.e. let's say a corporation of two - 4 flags, 3 + number of people is good. + unkeep cost for each flag, put resources in the flag, otherwise it falls in a day.

Can we start a pool on how many days after launch before the first entire island on PVE is 100% enclosed in 1 company's behemoth gates?

Edited by MeatSammich