Sign in to follow this  
Seren Du

Game Wipe and PVE

1 minute ago, TheSeer said:

If they had limited the claims so one person couldn't place 1000 claims I think there would have been enough land for everyone

Couldn't agree more.

I really like the idea of the claim flags. I look forward to hearing how the repair structures are going to work.  

What if we could have one claim flag per person with a nice size radius.  (the current radius seems plenty big)  The flag could be the resource structure and we would have to keep resources in the flag base to upkeep all structures within the radius?  That would give us a nice area to build where no one else could build.  If you have a huge Company, you would have a lot more flags to work with. If you have a few, you don't need as much space.  

The pillar problems have never been solved in Ark. Maybe they should implement this idea in Ark. 

• Like 1

all they have done is copied ark , pillar spam here we go again 😞 was a  good idea with the flag claim , solution : all they had to do was limit the amount per company and remove sea claims , cant see why they had to go this route just because ark has it ....

• Like 3

one again's they dont have think about PVE server.

no claim on PVE ? that nice we see the same problem like lawless with spam of pillar. i'm sad about this wipe, lose my Brigantine that make me sad .. but i will continue to play the game because a like it ! but ... Wipe will change nothing again selfish player ! 

I've been kicking this around since I tuned in to hear about the wipe.

tbh, I'm understanding of it, but also royally pissed off about it too.

Changing islands around and adding more islands WILL cause the destruction of many people's bases. Its unavoidable. And.... I believe that the landscape should have been made perfect before EA release so that this sort of thing wouldn't happen to us. 

Removing the claiming system in PVE is..... scary. I do NOT want people being able to build right up to my back door. I do NOT want more pillaring/foundation-bombing/fencing off of resource-areas or whole islands, and I think this is exactly what will happen to those of us with smaller companies or solo players. 

I just spent 45 minutes taking pictures of our base, the docks and all of our ships we've spent HOURS AND HOURS grinding to build. We all worked soo hard and our base was awesome. Yes, we can rebuild. We all know this. But it won't be THIS base. We're heartbroken. 

This new claim system will NOT help us 'get' a place to build. We all already HAVE a place. Yes, its in lawless for a lot of us... the griefing with pillaring, foundation spam and gating is rampant. Nothing will change with this new system. Not. One. Thing. And wait, aren't you basically making all land outside of Freeports into lawless regions essentially, anyway? 

The player base has dropped to a new low since the twitch stream and your announcement of a total wipe. Half because so many have decided to quit the game entirely, and the rest because, well, whats the point of doing anything in game when its all going to be wiped anyway? Did any of you even stop to think about this? And no.. I don't agree with waiting until a day or two before to announce the wipe. That would piss of even more people and even more of your player base would quit than already has.

I know that in alpha and beta releases devs will warn you up front and personal that a wipe could happen at any time as part of the testing phase you're signing on to be part of. But this is EA. Not alpha or beta. Wiping us... this shit sucks in a way you can't imagine. 

For a WEEK... rates for harvesting, taming and xp should be 3x, to help us recoup some of what we've lost. This is only fair!

As for the new content, fine. Awesome. Great. Not that it will help those of us in smaller companies or solo players much. Some of us may never have the numbers to defeat the Kraken. Some of us may never even have the numbers to collect the stones for it. So making content thats only obtainable after defeating the end boss is, for some of us, disheartening. I can see now why so many people have claimed that you guys cater to large tribes/companies and PvP with no thought to those of us who aren't a part of all that crap. 

Claiming should remain a part of PvE, be limited to 1 flag per 10 members in a company and limited to a max of 20 per company. Period. At least then we can have land that we don't have to worry about someone spamming the hell out of with pillars, foundations. AND... resource-rich areas (Like for metal, crystal and gems)  should be OFF. LIMITS. to claim in or build on. This way, some jackass company  can't hog it all by fencing it all in for themselves. (Yes, we've seen it happen. Your new system won't fix it any more than it will fix pillaring or foundation-bombing)

And for anyone reading this who wants to shoot venom at me for my heartfelt opinion... Save your breath. I have as much right as anyone else to speak my mind, and I can guarantee you this post if FAR less toxic and salty than some I've been reading.

Devs: Please reconsider the claiming for PvE. The above-mentioned solution is far better than what is currently, AND what you plan for us! 

• Like 3

Yea i think i wont be playing when the new big update hits, the claim flags were one of the reason i was intrigued to play atlas.

Not trying to bitch or anything, but i know this game wont be my cup of tea anymore.

7 hours ago, peerpressure said:

Can you imagine the griefers placing large stone gates in front of your docks to lock in ships? Or  Beast Gates around  entire islands?  its a bad plan. And any assumption that people "will have trouble" with the spamming due to an upkeep box is nonsense.

Not sure how the decay timers and upkeeps will fully work but anyone who puts down structures will have to put something down to put resources in for the repairs on these structures if I'm correct? I assume this will have to be in a certain distance of the base you have to repair, others have pointed out that spamming pillars and foundations will probably not work as you would have to go around the whole island repairing them as they decay now, hopefully this is correct and will see many foundations vanish. 

If people want to go around spamming floors all around the island and then run around every few hours repairing them then so be it, I can't see them doing it for very long. I don't think we will know how it will go until they actually test it out, i'll wait and see what happens with it before I decide if it's still bad idea but I for 1 am glad the flags are gone, fighting over the flag is more of a PVP not PVE, just my opinion though. 

Changing islands and stuff in such a drastic way, resulting in a complete wipe (of everything), proves that this game should never been regarded as an EA game, but rather as a PRE-ALPHA, or some sort of tech demo. 

This company has managed to result in a status of Z-E-R-O credibility and will never be respected by the gaming community, it's devs decision making being at best, laughable.

8 hours ago, Raine said:

Around 40m into the playback video, Jat is talking about the PvE servers.  He makes a distinction between "lawless" situations which will have customary damage decay, and other PvE situations which will be 'free-buildable', no-claim with structure decay which will require you to build a repair structure to keep your buildings repaired and intact.  Therefore, there will be Lawless, non-Lawless and non-buildable islands (Golden Age Ruins and Home Servers per Jat).

They expect the repair structure requirement to keep people from spamming with foundations.  We don't know if that means the repair structure will be such a demanding mistress it would break anyone's back to keep their spam in constant repair.  But that doesn't mean your own little PvE island couldn't become as overpopulated as Los Angeles with legit structures, that it would break the spawns anyway.  

I think they're reaching for a system of checks and balances but I don't think  they're there yet.

That's why I wait for the Captain's Log to find out what's really happening.  People hear all kinds of stuff in the livestream, and the devs start talking off the cuff and get confusing.

Read the Captain's Log.  It says no claims on pve.   Anyone can build anywhere.

What they've done is forced everyone to Lawless and added upkeep to it.  It's a terrible move.

7 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

That's why I wait for the Captain's Log to find out what's really happening.  People hear all kinds of stuff in the livestream, and the devs start talking off the cuff and get confusing.

Read the Captain's Log.  It says no claims on pve.   Anyone can build anywhere.

What they've done is forced everyone to Lawless and added upkeep to it.  It's a terrible move.

Fantastic idea, best thing they've done so far. You want to scrap over flags? That's what PVP is for, flags still exists.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DannyUK said:

Fantastic idea, best thing they've done so far. You want to scrap over flags? That's what PVP is for, flags still exists.

Where did you get the idea I wanted to scrap over flags on pve?

No I don't want to scrap over flags.  I think anybody who pays money for the game ought to get a flag to put down somewhere.  I don't think we all ought to be forced to live like rats in the town dump, which is pretty much what lawless is.

14 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

Yes, and even the fact that everyone is able to build everywhere will result in either resources not coming back, because structures are near it. Or giant walls and gates, to wall off resources etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Winter Thorne said:

Where did you get the idea I wanted to scrap over flags on pve?

No I don't want to scrap over flags.  I think anybody who pays money for the game ought to get a flag to put down somewhere.  I don't think we all ought to be forced to live like rats in the town dump, which is pretty much what lawless is.

There is no need for a flag to build in PVE, all people were doing was fighting over claims, that is a PVP thing which flags still exist. 

They are providing more islands in the game and letting you build anywhere, the only problem that may be the problem is foundation spams but with them decaying and having to repair I don't see them staying around for very long, we'll have to see.

I have no problem with it, people are now starting to feel what others living on lawless felt like having no area on other islands, welcome aboard. 

• Like 1

Just now, Abysian said:

Yes, and even the fact that everyone is able to build everywhere will result in either resources not coming back, because structures are near it. Or giant walls and gates, to wall off resources etc.

Or the stuff will just spawn right through the structures like it does now.

I figured even GS wouldn't be dumb enough to stop resource spawns near buildings on lawless, but I could be wrong.

1 minute ago, Winter Thorne said:

Or the stuff will just spawn right through the structures like it does now.

I figured even GS wouldn't be dumb enough to stop resource spawns near buildings on lawless, but I could be wrong.

Hmm metal, trees, rocks etc don't grow trough your buildings, if you build near it, and you harvest the node. It's gone, gone forever, you see it it on many islands already 

2 minutes ago, DannyUK said:

There is no need for a flag to build in PVE, all people were doing was fighting over claims, that is a PVP thing which flags still exist. 

They are providing more islands in the game and letting you build anywhere, the only problem that may be the problem is foundation spams but with them decaying and having to repair I don't see them staying around for very long, we'll have to see.

I have no problem with it, people are now starting to feel what others living on lawless felt like having no area on other islands, welcome aboard. 

You don't need to "welcome me aboard".  I've only had a claim (one claim) for a couple weeks.  Other than that I was living on Lawless the whole time.  It sucked.

Sure, you don't need to have a flag to build.  You can build and then other people will run up and put up giant walls 3 squares away from you so you're living in a box.  Then they can build shipyards that completely block you in, spam foundations all around you and then block off all the resources.  It makes the atmosphere there so great, because not only are you living in a shithole, everyone hates everyone else for doing that stuff so all you hear in general chat all day long is "*^^%*(&^^&^".  It was lovely.  Lots of fighting to see there...something you claim you don't want in pve.

I don't know what your idea of "fighting" is, but the only way to fight over claims in pve was to just hang around watching a timer.  That's boring, but it's not fighting.

You think things are going to decay because you need a bank with mats to keep them?  Pull the other one, it's got bells on.

All we needed was a claim limit so more people could get land, and people could build nice bases without interference.  Everyone was complaining because they had to live on lawless, so the devs say "Ok, we'll fix it.  Now you can ALL live on lawless."

Maybe you're happy living in nasty ugly griefer land.    Or maybe you're just happy that everybody gets to do it now and not just the unfortunates.  

I think that we need to remember what was said at the end. If something is not working they are prepared to do major alterations till it does.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bSelect said:

Yeah, IMO this is the reason claim flags were cool, prevented randos from building next to you or greifing.  I have a small lawless area which was the first build-able land I could find.  The tribe next to me fully boxed me in with pillar spam.  Clearly couldn't continue to build there.  I just don't see wanting to build up again in a system like that.  It was the same thing that drove me off official Ark PvE servers, not worth dealing with passive aggressive (because you cannot be outright aggressive) people.

Is the current mechanic confusing? Yes. 

Is it hard for small or new companies to find land? Yes.

Will no claim flags solve either of these? No!

Make the claim flags have upkeep.  Make a per person limit on number of flags.  There have been loads of other ideas posted on reddit which I think have promise, removal is not one of them.

I agree...i mentioned of having 1/2 map with an adjusted claim flag system..and the other half with the new horrible plan...get player feedback on both...then keep adjusting.  An all build map is just working in reverse...Unless they dont care about the PVE side of the game....

1 hour ago, Winter Thorne said:

You think things are going to decay because you need a bank with mats to keep them?  Pull the other one, it's got bells on.

All we needed was a claim limit so more people could get land, and people could build nice bases without interference.  Everyone was complaining because they had to live on lawless, so the devs say "Ok, we'll fix it.  Now you can ALL live on lawless."

That's what it looks like to me too.  As with most patches, fixing one thing breaks something else.  In this case, I don't believe their "fixes" will achieve what they intend to fix.  The current proposition clears the board for even more douchery because now there is no way to checkmate griefers.  

• Like 1

Last night's Live Stream made it clear that their main focus is PvP, by a vast amount.  PvE by contrast seems like the redhaired stepchild who is forced to live in the basement.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AntonyVW said:

I think that we need to remember what was said at the end. If something is not working they are prepared to do major alterations till it does.

We've already put up with a shipload of issues to provide them feedback.  They ignored the feedback and served up another shipload of issues.  Now we're supposed to go again and try to play through an even bigger shit ton of issues to give them the same feedback we gave them last time so they can ignore it again.

They have the feedback.    They don't need to torture the player base to get the feedback again.

for foundation spam blame the people, not the devs!

It's the people that are doing it  😉

Edited by Vorxius
  • Like 1

I instantly stopped playing as I read this.

We are playing on PVE since Day 1, and it was such a hard way - the huge lag festival, lost claimed land, managed to find another island, the week-long twist with a gate-spamming guy in the neighborhood, lost ships to SotD with rapid fire, lost tames which were falling through the floor, the FoY-thingy ...
And finally, everything was "good" (well, except of the animal-thing, but that's another story). We accepted the annoying marathon to the FoY, we arranged with our neighbors, help each other, our claim flags are all set to allow building for all, and at this time, we all really wanted that other people come to our little island and live with us in peace here.
For this to be happen, we even moved our base so that more space is available for others, and I was happily building as I read those news.

All we needed was a limitation to the numbers of claiming flags.
And at this moment, where player numbers already sunk, there is so much space to build on normal islands, and it is not even difficult to find those spots.

But what you give us here is so f*cking stupid and such a big invitation for all those foundation- and pillar-spammers!
I already can see some guys coming as we build our base, then they say "Hey, you frown at me? Take this foundation in your face" - and you can't finish your house. Awesome.

Let me say you something: You want ATLAS to be a "real" MMO? Then first start active ingame admin support, and if someone is reported several times for griefing, kick him out. You would be surprised how fast those toxic players are away and that everyone can build - of course, including the claim flag limitation - on a non lawless island.
Limit the flags and give us time to demolish flags if we have too much, there is absolutely no need for a wipe on PVE because there is simply no advantage if you already have a base or some ships (I can't speak for PVP).

Those patch notes are a big kick in the butt of your loyal and long-term players, and you will give us a hat in return - well, keep it and stick it wherever you want. At this point, I have about 500 hours in ATLAS and I'm not quite sure if I feel like completely starting over again and to keep struggling around with some foundation-spammers. Not for a hat.

Edited by Tinschn
  • Like 1

What I can't understand for those who do PvP is that the Devs honestly think to 'incentivize' larger companies into working with the smaller ones and solo players through the upkeep on claims. What a joke! Do they even KNOW how this world is today? How toxic PvP is? And to make it that only the company claiming the island can have REAL defenses.... thats soooo not fair. I swear I think they're all doing drugs, or need to be! 

As for PvE, removing the claim system will allow more griefing through pillaring, foundation-bombing and gating than what goes on now. Yes, maybe the decay rate/upkeep will help with a small amount of that, but I don't see their new 'system' being any kind of viable solution. 

Truth is, we ALL want to say we have a spot that is entirely OURS. That no one else can harass us on BECAUSE its claimed by US, and us alone. And they are taking that away from us.

I suppose they never paid attention to how players in PvE use passive-aggressive means to force players they don't want around them to move/quit/leave. 

Well, to the Devs, here is just one REAL example of what they do in Ark PvE (and that you're now making possible on Atlas as well): You begin playing, find a little spot amid everyone to build your first little starter base, and its hard since so many bases are so big, and have such huge fenced in areas. You build, you log out for the night, you log back in at some point to find that one of your 'neighbors' doesn't want you there so they gate your base, or build a big box around your base,  where you can't get out. literally. And the only way to get out of it is to die and respawn out in the wild. THEN, because you can't get back to your base anymore, you're basically a noob again, starting over completely. so you try again to find a spot, you build, and pray that your new neighbors aren't assholes and do the same thing to you again. In the meantime, your first little base will eventually come up for demo because you can't get back to it to reset any timers, and so when it does, the tribe who walled you in to get rid of you then only needs to demo your base, claim your tames if you had any, and they have successfully gotten rid of you. 

This is what you're making possible on Atlas now. I'm not even kidding. Watch, wait and see. 

We NEED a claim system in PvE to prevent things like this! One flag per 10 company members, with a hard max limit of 20 per company. Its fair, and will stop SO much griefing. Then just make metal, gem and crystal rich areas non-claimable/buildable and we're great!

Why can't you see this??? Where did you EVER get the idea that NO claiming at all was a good idea???? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Vorxius said:

for foundation spam blame the people, not the devs!

It's the people that are doing it  😉

It's "the people" who are playing  the game, not the devs.....which is the whole point of Early Access.  Learning what douchery 'the people' will levy against others so the devs can contain, block, or redirect it.  They are asking for feedback and they are getting it.  Can't complain when you're getting exactly what you've asked for.

• Like 1