Sign in to follow this  
Seren Du

Game Wipe and PVE

New system is not going to stop foundation spam, if anything it may make it worse.

If i get ti right all you need to do is link spam foundations and add a resource box in whatever the proximity is and then keep spamming.

Large builds will be a thing of the past especially for smaller companies. Its going to kill PVE from what i get from the stream so far. Why would anyone want to start over?

this should have happened at least a month ago. 

• Like 1

@Jatheish

really needs a rethink on PVE its not gonna solve the spam issues and so many PVE players wont come back as no large bases anymore which defeats the object of PVE.

Upkeep is going top be too much of a grind and boring. I get the wipe but  the loss of progress is too much to take. i have over 700 hours so why would any existing players want to come back on PVE?

The updates look good but too late for most so it seems.

• Like 3

I'm on pve. Had no land since starting 2 months ago so had to live in lawless. Server wipe will give me a new opportunity

• Like 5

the fountain of youth grind once again to get all that back.

And we get a hat...

Just now, AntonyVW said:

I'm on pve. Had no land since starting 2 months ago so had to live in lawless. Server wipe will give me a new opportunity

same but i dont care about the claim, claims are getting removed so its pointless for PVE for those that never got a claim and build in lawless, the hours spent building stuff all gone and add insult to injury character wipe.

its not a new opportunity, its a loss of hundreds of hours of game for nothing.

• Like 1

Server wipe is fine, if end result is better than before.  An all build map is a horrible idea.  They are assuming that the upkeep will keep out the foundation spams...its not.  entire map will be lawless zones.

• Like 5

I'm happy they are changing it, flags should be PVP fighting over flags is not PVE in my opinion.

I do have concerns over spamming though, hopefully the sort that out before release.

• Like 3

think about it automatic repair machine....fill it with 10k of resource and just leave it...how long will that last to keep foundation spam in place.

Personally claim flags should be more like the current decay rate, rather than 2 weeks have 5 days.  Currently the lawless decay is manageable and makes sense.

Im doubtful ill be back after the announcement today, i dont want to spend forever filling up a chest to keep a large base going as lets face it that is what PVe is for its for those who just want to build super impressive structures. The loss of those is...kinda game breaking for a lot of people ive chatted to.

I could live with that...

The time spent on getting tames and oddly having favourites, as is human nature to personify objects that dont exist.

I could just about live with that too, just...

But the character reset, start from scratch that just kills it. that just drives the knife in. People can go on about how its early access and should expect this blah blah blah, but early access makes or breaks a game and most though the get in knowing this dont want to have all the time they spent wiped for nothing.

If we kept our stats then i would likely start over. As yeah can improve what i already built, but add the new system and no...no i could not.

They should keep flags in pve, but just limit it. Like 1 flag per person, or max 25 flags per company with 25+ members. I'm really concerned about the foundation span, resources not growing. People will block off a lot now if they can, this will make everything even worse.

• Like 4

It sounds like the new setup on PvE would lead to resource griefing.

I'm not very clear on the mechanics though.  Sounded like each island = one owner, even in PvE. 
That owner must put down a resource bank to auto-repair structures AND to pay the taxes (which might be the same thing, but it's not clear)...but repair whose structures?  Only hers, or also everyone who chooses to build on her island?

So if an opposing Company wants the island, what's to prevent them from driving off the original owner by blocking all the resources which could be used to autorepair structures?  All land will be buildable, and the resource-blocking unpreventable as far as I can tell.

Edited by Raine

11 minutes ago, Raine said:

I'm not very clear on the mechanics though.  Sounded like each island = one owner, even in PvE. 
That owner must put down a resource bank to auto-repair structures AND to pay the taxes (which might be the same thing, but it's not clear)...but repair whose structures?  Only hers, or also everyone who chooses to build on her island?

So if an opposing Company wants the island, what's to prevent them from driving off the original owner by blocking all the resources which could be used to autorepair structures?  All land will be buildable, and the resource-blocking unpreventable as far as I can tell.

No, PVE won't have claim flags, everything will be as a lawless is now.

Maybe.  From what Jat said in the video though, nothing is written in stone.  But of course, that's exactly par for the course in beta.  At least the devs say they want to pay close attention to feedback.

14 minutes ago, Raine said:

the one flag plan is for PVP....Pve will be all build with only decay restrictions...i.e. lawless with placing resources in a tax bank to repair.  Foundation spam, place tax bank  = lawless map

So, what would be the benefit of building in non lawless areas?  I reckon, the choice will come down to, log in every 4 days for upkeep vs.  logging in every few days and filling a resource bank for auto-upkeep.  Grind vs. time?

Who places the tax bank?  And whose structures does it repair?

I still think foundation spam could easily be a thing because it's unpreventable.  I remember some gambits on Ark PvP where this was done strategically.  

8Ball, they're saying PvE will be totally Lawless.  You won't have a choice of Lawless or non-Lawless.

1 minute ago, Raine said:

Who places the tax bank?  And whose structures does it repair?

I still think foundation spam could easily be a thing because it's unpreventable.  I remember some gambits on Ark PvP where this was done strategically.  

8Ball, they're saying PvE will be totally Lawless.  You won't have a choice of Lawless or non-Lawless.

That's not true as I got from the video.  Non Lawless, you can auto upkeep.  lawless, no change.  No tax bank in PVE, because there are no land claims to tax.

They need to stop fast travel to other bases, you want another base far away? You should be prepared to sail back and forth.

To easy to reset timer just by moving from bed to bed. I hope they change that also, you will get many bases abandoned so others take space.

10 minutes ago, DannyUK said:

They need to stop fast travel to other bases, you want another base far away? You should be prepared to sail back and forth.

To easy to reset timer just by moving from bed to bed. I hope they change that also, you will get many bases abandoned so others take space.

I can agree and disagree with this.  While eliminating fast travel, could encourage trade and what not, it also could severely hamper small company or solo growth.

The OP is correct about building, I reckon we will just have to see how this will affect large bases.  

4 minutes ago, 8ball said:

I can agree and disagree with this.  While eliminating fast travel, could encourage trade and what not, it also could severely hamper small company or solo growth.

The OP is correct about building, I reckon we will just have to see how this will affect large bases.  

Well i am solo also, even i can see it as form of cheating.

Maybe they can keep some form of fast travel but not to every base you have. Its to easy just to log in, do the rounds on the beds to reset timers and off you go.

We will have to see how it turns out I guess.

Around 40m into the playback video, Jat is talking about the PvE servers.  He makes a distinction between "lawless" situations which will have customary damage decay, and other PvE situations which will be 'free-buildable', no-claim with structure decay which will require you to build a repair structure to keep your buildings repaired and intact.  Therefore, there will be Lawless, non-Lawless and non-buildable islands (Golden Age Ruins and Home Servers per Jat).

They expect the repair structure requirement to keep people from spamming with foundations.  We don't know if that means the repair structure will be such a demanding mistress it would break anyone's back to keep their spam in constant repair.  But that doesn't mean your own little PvE island couldn't become as overpopulated as Los Angeles with legit structures, that it would break the spawns anyway.  

I think they're reaching for a system of checks and balances but I don't think  they're there yet.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Raine said:

Around 40m into the playback video, Jat is talking about the PvE servers.  He makes a distinction between "lawless" situations which will have customary damage decay, and other PvE situations which will be 'free-buildable', no-claim with structure decay which will require you to build a repair structure to keep your buildings repaired and intact.  Therefore, there will be Lawless, non-Lawless and non-buildable islands (Golden Age Ruins and Home Servers per Jat).

They expect the repair structure requirement to keep people from spamming with foundations.  We don't know if that means the repair structure will be such a demanding mistress it would break anyone's back to keep their spam in constant repair.  But that doesn't mean your own little PvE island couldn't become as overpopulated as Los Angeles with legit structures, that it would break the spawns anyway.  

I think they're reaching for a system of checks and balances but I don't think  they're there yet.

Can you imagine the griefers placing large stone gates in front of your docks to lock in ships? Or  Beast Gates around  entire islands?  its a bad plan. And any assumption that people "will have trouble" with the spamming due to an upkeep box is nonsense.

Taken directly off the video, this shows you there is a PvE mode other than Lawless.  The only distinction seems to be an auto-repair facility in the non-lawless version.  I could envision it working something like a Ship's Resource Box for your structures, and it may have limited range.  I'm just guessing here.  But if that's the case then it still won't prevent the spamming-for-resource griefing which could occur.

Then again, this is beta so in Grapeshot's eyes, maybe those set on griefing are doing them more service than decent players will.

PVE and Lawless.JPG

25 minutes ago, peerpressure said:

Can you imagine the griefers placing large stone gates in front of your docks to lock in ships?

Yeah, IMO this is the reason claim flags were cool, prevented randos from building next to you or greifing.  I have a small lawless area which was the first build-able land I could find.  The tribe next to me fully boxed me in with pillar spam.  Clearly couldn't continue to build there.  I just don't see wanting to build up again in a system like that.  It was the same thing that drove me off official Ark PvE servers, not worth dealing with passive aggressive (because you cannot be outright aggressive) people.

Is the current mechanic confusing? Yes. 

Is it hard for small or new companies to find land? Yes.

Will no claim flags solve either of these? No!

Make the claim flags have upkeep.  Make a per person limit on number of flags.  There have been loads of other ideas posted on reddit which I think have promise, removal is not one of them.

One thing I'll miss about claim flags on PvE is the idea of them.  Start in Lawless, build a small base and a couple of ships.  Then go out and find some land, plant your flag, and say "This land is mine!"

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bSelect said:

Yeah, IMO this is the reason claim flags were cool, prevented randos from building next to you or greifing.  I have a small lawless area which was the first build-able land I could find.  The tribe next to me fully boxed me in with pillar spam.  Clearly couldn't continue to build there.  I just don't see wanting to build up again in a system like that.  It was the same thing that drove me off official Ark PvE servers, not worth dealing with passive aggressive (because you cannot be outright aggressive) people.

Is the current mechanic confusing? Yes. 

Is it hard for small or new companies to find land? Yes.

Will no claim flags solve either of these? No!

Make the claim flags have upkeep.  Make a per person limit on number of flags.  There have been loads of other ideas posted on reddit which I think have promise, removal is not one of them.

I agree that it would have been better to limit the flags per person, the claims were a great idea but weren't well implemented. I left Ark official servers because I end up getting walled into a corner with nowhere to go because foundation spamming and that is exactly what I think will happen here. I just don't see how you can make the upkeep system balanced enough to allow small groups to build big bases and stop large guilds from spamming foundation/walls everywhere.  If you make cost high enough to stop mega guilds it will cripple sole players. If they had limited the claims so one person couldn't place 1000 claims I think there would have been enough land for everyone. Oh well, have to wait and see how the system works out.