Cantore

Galleon turn radius is HORRIBLE!

2 hours ago, =MGC=Ranger said:

Every single person told u the same thing yet you continue to argue. You are obviously younger and lack maturity to recognize when you are in the wrong. You speak of trolls in your OP, but it sounds as if you don't know what that is since clearly you are a forums troll responding to every post telling the same thing. Best wishes

No, I just disagree based on fact and logic. And, you clearly don't know me, no you can't guess my age or maturity level. Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean that I'm young, immature, or that I'm even wrong. A lot of physicians considered bleeding people with leeches as a productive form of treatment. They were ALL wrong, even though it was the masses that believed this assumption as truth. Just because a lot of people disagree with me, doesn't mean I'm wrong. It COULD mean that none of you are using the same logic that I am to come to this conclusion. "Stating facts" is not being immature, or even argumentative.

You've not ONCE said a factual evidenced-based argument in your responses to my post. Instead, you just assume things about me, and about my post that are incorrect, and then you justify yourself by calling me young and immature when I call you out on it. That's neither beneficial to the post, nor does it disprove the issue of the post - which CONTINUES to be that the Galleon turns too slowly, and needs to be fixed so that it is able to face a simple target such as SotD. If you think I'm wrong, that's your opinion. It doesn't mean I'm wrong.

LOGIC:

It's NOT a game mechanic for the largest ship in the game to basically NOT turn. We can all agree that it SHOULD be slower than other models. However, the current turn rate is not sufficient. If it WERE sufficient the way it is, we would not HAVE to stack tons of cannons on the stern of our Galleons just to stay alive against a level 5 SotD. If the largest ship in the game can easily be destroyed by a SotD because of its slow turn rate, and cannot essentially USE its cannon broadsides after the first volley because of its slow turn rate, then it IS logical to say that the ship turn rate is IN FACT too slow.

If you have a good reason other than "It's not a schooner or a Brig, so what do you expect", or "you're young and immature", then please feel free to to correct my logic.

let's talk difference in turn radius between ships

sloop > schooner is about what you would expect, gradual

schooner > brig again is about what you would expect

brig > galleon not even close, it's absolute night and day

as people have pointed out handling sails make no difference. i made a gally with 6 upgraded handling sails before i know this, rip.

i think this could be helped by adding a large ship that handles better or make handling sails do what you think they would do on a gally and help turn radius 😕

• Like 1

I think the galleon turning is fine. I use 2 handling sails and I can turn a complete 180 in about 5 minutes. In combat you just need to be smarter about it, broadside, then gain a lead and turn in while the ship catches up.
Play to the strengths of the ship rather than allowing your enemy, even a PVE AI exploit its weaknesses. Its not logical to say something is wrong when you are allowing its weaknesses to be exploited.

5 hours ago, Rapier2012 said:

I think the galleon turning is fine. I use 2 handling sails and I can turn a complete 180 in about 5 minutes.

This actually made me laugh. 

9 minutes ago, Meerkat said:

LOL, 5 minutes is fine?

6 hours ago, Meerkat said:

Hey, the guys' being honest at least! A 5 minute turn is still a huge issue for me! Essentially, the rudder is failing to function at that point!

But, don't believe me: My brig can beat the SotD in this video clip easily. My Galleon - cannot unless I run, spent the 5 minutes turning, and go at him again. Reason: TURN RATE!

Edited by Cantore

58 minutes ago, Cantore said:

Hey, the guys' being honest at least! A 5 minute turn is still a huge issue for me! Essentially, the rudder is failing to function at that point!

But, don't believe me: My brig can beat the SotD in this video clip easily. My Galleon - cannot unless I run, spent the 5 minutes turning, and go at him again. Reason: TURN RATE!

Wait, you had him in full broadside and you deliberately drove past him?  Yeah, you cant hit a target if you deliberately run past it.

Why were your sails even open at that point?  Swing your sails out of the wind, hit z so they close up, and just let your guns fire more than once.

Edited by Archsenex
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, wildbill said:

LOL, 5 minutes is fine?

Its about what Id expect from a ship as large as the galleon. So I dont see why not.

On 2/28/2019 at 7:16 PM, Cantore said:

No, I just disagree based on fact and logic. And, you clearly don't know me, no you can't guess my age or maturity level. Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean that I'm young, immature, or that I'm even wrong. A lot of physicians considered bleeding people with leeches as a productive form of treatment. They were ALL wrong, even though it was the masses that believed this assumption as truth. Just because a lot of people disagree with me, doesn't mean I'm wrong. It COULD mean that none of you are using the same logic that I am to come to this conclusion. "Stating facts" is not being immature, or even argumentative.

You've not ONCE said a factual evidenced-based argument in your responses to my post. Instead, you just assume things about me, and about my post that are incorrect, and then you justify yourself by calling me young and immature when I call you out on it. That's neither beneficial to the post, nor does it disprove the issue of the post - which CONTINUES to be that the Galleon turns too slowly, and needs to be fixed so that it is able to face a simple target such as SotD. If you think I'm wrong, that's your opinion. It doesn't mean I'm wrong.

LOGIC:

It's NOT a game mechanic for the largest ship in the game to basically NOT turn. We can all agree that it SHOULD be slower than other models. However, the current turn rate is not sufficient. If it WERE sufficient the way it is, we would not HAVE to stack tons of cannons on the stern of our Galleons just to stay alive against a level 5 SotD. If the largest ship in the game can easily be destroyed by a SotD because of its slow turn rate, and cannot essentially USE its cannon broadsides after the first volley because of its slow turn rate, then it IS logical to say that the ship turn rate is IN FACT too slow.

If you have a good reason other than "It's not a schooner or a Brig, so what do you expect", or "you're young and immature", then please feel free to to correct my logic.

Your comparison to physicians is a bit wrong. The difference being that the rules of Atlas change according to what the devs and communiy want. So whatever the majority of the community wants would be the correct path.
You are comparing two very different systems. One where the physicians are bound by the world, whether they like it or not they have to accept the facts. Whereas Atlas the rules are defined by people, so if enough people believed it, it WOULD be the right answer, assuming the devs listen to the community, and in my experience they seem to do so atleast on some level.

Edited by Rapier2012
  • Like 1

My galleon has 1 handling - 1 speed - 2 weight - 1 speed - 1 handling sails setup and for a big ship it turns ok.

as someone suggested already, your sails has to be green (good wind) or at least yellow and 50% open to

make a nice turn. If you find it ugly to put cannons facing front (i have 3) or to the rear (i have 4) the SoDs will

notice it and attack at your weakest point. My galleon has only 43 cannons and i fight up to 4 SoD at the same time.

the trick with every ship is to put the steering wheel in the middle/center of the ship. the steering wheel is the axis on which the ship turns.

it makes a huge difference if u put it in the center or at the back of a ship. try it out.

On 3/4/2019 at 4:06 AM, MesCaLiN said:

the trick with every ship is to put the steering wheel in the middle/center of the ship. the steering wheel is the axis on which the ship turns.

it makes a huge difference if u put it in the center or at the back of a ship. try it out.

Is this true? This is really good to know if it is.

On 2/28/2019 at 6:25 PM, UDO said:

thats because there isnt an issue , largest ship in the game = largest slowest turning circle , u want faster turning use schooner or brig , it gives u choices to make , if all ships were the same then why have different types , 

because a game is supposed to be fun? maybe? just crafted a galleon with the x6 event to test it, i couldnt be happier i did it now, if i had done it in normal rates or x2 and get this same piece of shit i would have proably quit (again)

But you have to understand it's not a design flaw. It's big, it's heavy, and it displaces a lot of water. It's supposed to turn like an aircraft carrier. They have mention later on in development there would be more ship types. I would presume they added it early on to give PVP more fun in the big naval actions that we're pointless due to thier designing the game around land action.

Just saying, of all the things needing fixed in this dumpster fire, you happen to be looking to fix something that is how it should be, and most agree. I hate the damn thing myself, but considering it's place in the overall game world, it's strengths are fairly well balanced out by it's weakness.

It's a tank, or an able mass transport ship, meant to slug it out, or carry A LOT of materials. Think of it as a container transport, or a battleship. Both require a lot of ocean to turn using only a rudder

On 2/28/2019 at 6:21 PM, Cantore said:

I'm surprised I'm the first one posting about this issue. The Galleon turn-rate is HORRIBLE! The turn circle is FAR too large, even when sails are almost closed. I'm not saying turning should be as fast as a Brig, but Devs - PLEASE make the Galleon at LEAST formidable against the onslaught of ghost ships that always follow your stern. Currently, I have to sail straight for about 2 minutes at full sail before turning for 5 minutes at 1/4 mass to get another clean shot on a SotD since they ride your tail because the Galleon CAN'T TURN. NO WONDER people rage quit after getting a Galleon! Any lvl 2 ghost ship can take out a Galleon if the captain simply tries to turn to get a shot. 

For the amount of effort and TLC that goes into making a Galleon, the Galleon is the MOST vulnerable ship in PvE without the ridiculous-looking stacking of cannons off the Stern. The port and starboard sides typically get 1 shot before the ship HAS to speed away in order to turn. The rest of the shots normally would come from that awful, unintended setup of stacked guns on the stern of the Galleon.

For those that like to troll stuff like this, I'm totally aware of the intended OFFENSIVE nature of the ship, rather than defensive. I'm simply making a point you can't even BE offensive in so many cases because you can't TURN to face a ghost ship that suddenly turns on a dime.

OH, and while your at it: FIX THE HANDLING SAILS so that they give you a boost to turn rates. Currently, they do not - they just catch the wind slightly faster when you're going against the wind - which you just plain shouldn't want to do on purpose with a Galleon (but most people do in order to …  you guessed it... turn.)

agree push

It's not 5 minutes! It's just 2 minutes 30 seconds : ))

I learned that there must be different approach to battle with Galley but... well I was able to take down SotD lvl-60 with it. You sail by (receiving damage), you turn to SotD and shoot! With Rally - you will be able to do 2nd shoot sometimes. Then you go full speed, and after you gain long distance, you stop and turn 90. At this time SotD approach - you shoot him couple of times and then go. You just need to get right direction before start. 

No "dancing" with SotDs. It's just long, slow thoughtful fight. No way to dodge damage. No way do do it fast... but well. I don't think I was able to battle 50+ SotDs with Brig, so Galley is useful somewhere. But I agree - the handling Galley is real torture, and even if they ever do x6 again, I won't probably build one. It's just no joy of doing battles with it.

BTW. There was a Corsairs pirate game before, And there were (if I remember it right) 4 sails position.

- Closed.

- Aproaching (something around 30% - slow speed to aproach wharf).

- Handling/Battle (around 60%) - this is where ship get most of it handling. And you should use it in battles and for maneuvering.

- Full - for a speed and a bit lack of handling.

I'm totally not sure if it works like that here. I'm not sure about how turning mechanics works here at all. Sometimes your ship turn fast. Sometimes it goes about straight line (I lost my Schooner like that, I departure polar island, then I was on my turn to avoid iceberg, and then suddenly my ship lost it's handling and went right to that iceberg. There I found that touching it with even small speed, do for like 16000 damage to your planks). During the rain your boat might start to resist wind and illogically start to push you to counterwind. There are a lot of issues that shouldn't work like that...

And yeah about that:

I'm surprised I'm the first one posting about this issue.

That's because most of ppl tried their BATTLE Galley just with anarchy patch : )

To be honest, I don't even bother trying to anything but run in a galleon.  I don't really have much choice since you can't install large cannons below deck, and I'm hoping that gets fixed before I make a ton of med cannons for it.  But it tanks well enough and travels fast enough, that you usually can run right into a SoTD and then pass it by before it inflicts too much damage.  As far as my play style goes, the galleon is more of a hauler than a fighter, although with all those gun ports you would think it was more of a fighter.  In PvP I can see how it would be about useless if Brigs can run circles around you.  But, if you insist on using a galleon for fighting, that's on you, as bigger doesn't always mean better in any ship game, be it sea or space.  The galleon makes up for its lack of handling with its hit points and speed.  Just my opinion...