Cantore

Galleon turn radius is HORRIBLE!

I'm surprised I'm the first one posting about this issue. The Galleon turn-rate is HORRIBLE! The turn circle is FAR too large, even when sails are almost closed. I'm not saying turning should be as fast as a Brig, but Devs - PLEASE make the Galleon at LEAST formidable against the onslaught of ghost ships that always follow your stern. Currently, I have to sail straight for about 2 minutes at full sail before turning for 5 minutes at 1/4 mass to get another clean shot on a SotD since they ride your tail because the Galleon CAN'T TURN. NO WONDER people rage quit after getting a Galleon! Any lvl 2 ghost ship can take out a Galleon if the captain simply tries to turn to get a shot. 

For the amount of effort and TLC that goes into making a Galleon, the Galleon is the MOST vulnerable ship in PvE without the ridiculous-looking stacking of cannons off the Stern. The port and starboard sides typically get 1 shot before the ship HAS to speed away in order to turn. The rest of the shots normally would come from that awful, unintended setup of stacked guns on the stern of the Galleon.

For those that like to troll stuff like this, I'm totally aware of the intended OFFENSIVE nature of the ship, rather than defensive. I'm simply making a point you can't even BE offensive in so many cases because you can't TURN to face a ghost ship that suddenly turns on a dime.

OH, and while your at it: FIX THE HANDLING SAILS so that they give you a boost to turn rates. Currently, they do not - they just catch the wind slightly faster when you're going against the wind - which you just plain shouldn't want to do on purpose with a Galleon (but most people do in order to …  you guessed it... turn.)

Edited by Cantore
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Cantore said:

I'm surprised I'm the first one posting about this issue. 

thats because there isnt an issue , largest ship in the game = largest slowest turning circle , u want faster turning use schooner or brig , it gives u choices to make , if all ships were the same then why have different types , 

Edited by UDO
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, UDO said:

thats because there isnt an issue , largest ship in the game = largest slowest turning circle , u want faster turning use schooner or brig , it gives u choices to make , if all ships were the same then why have different types , 

I knew there'd be a troll that says there "isn't an issue". I understand it being SLIGHTLY wider turn, but a 5 minute turn is totally unacceptable and TOTALLY unrealistic in a game like this.
I also looked you up, and you often troll people who state obvious issues within the game that need to be fixed.

Edited by Cantore

Use one (or many) handling sail.
It changes everything

Not an issue at all, you just don't have correct sails and/or doesn't understand the concept of balacing.

Change your sails, and test 🙂 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cantore said:

I knew there'd be a troll that says there "isn't an issue". I understand it being SLIGHTLY wider turn, but a 5 minute turn is totally unacceptable and TOTALLY unrealistic in a game like this.
I also looked you up, and you often troll people who state obvious issues within the game that need to be fixed.

Do you even understand how large a galleon is?

Turning radius is not an issue. So you want handling of a Schooner on a Galleon.

No, I DO understand the size of a Galleon. I have one. I don't want "handling" I want a slightly tighter turn radius. I literally sailed STRAIGHT while my rudder was jacked to the right. There is NO response from the rudder, and a 5 degree per 30 second turn radius (or close to that). It's FAR too slow. That's all I'm saying. I HAVE a schooner and a Galleon, and they're fun. Now I want a Galleon because it's SUPPOSED to be the best ship in the game. But, the Galleon in this state is NOT fun because it can't turn to meet its foe! And, you're FORCED to make your ship really ugly with stacked cannons at the stern of your ship, or else you die.

I don't understand why people like you and UDO don't seem to understand or take issue to that fact.

Edited by Cantore

13 minutes ago, Cantore said:

not trolling at all the reason u dont see posts about it is because there isnt an issue , as a poster above has stated learnt o use correct sails

3 minutes ago, Cantore said:

I don't understand why people like you and UDO don't seem to understand or take issue to that fact.

u mean everyone who has posted in your thread , there isnt an issue u cant have your cake and eat it , 

u want faster turning use smaller ship , u want firepower use bigger ship , dont see why u are trying to make out there is an issue when there isnt , 

ship shave different handling for a reason , 

8 minutes ago, globytheoldpirate said:

Use one (or many) handling sail.
It changes everything

Not an issue at all, you just don't have correct sails and/or doesn't understand the concept of balacing.

Change your sails, and test 🙂 

Handling sails do not currently help your turn rate. There's a great youtube video on that. Basically, all handling sails do is open and close faster, and give you slight wind if you're almost dead-on the wind. If the devs DID make Handling sails tighten your turn, I'd be happy with that. That said, I've ALSO adjusted sails (read my original post), and this does help turn radius, but you're pretty much stopped, so you might as well just BE stopped. 

16 minutes ago, Cantore said:

look me up as much as u want , a lot of players like yourself the issues are because u dont understand the game mechanics properly , if it was a problem the pvp crowd would have been all over it ...

i go hunting on my galleon all the time, frequently taking out 20 or so on a trip.  Once you learn to maneuver and attack in it, it handles just fine. The major things are that you don't let them get behind you in the first place, and if they do.. you can outrun them.  However, I approach, turn before they get into aggro range, and unload my broadsides.

I often fight 2-3 at a time this way, I drive into the center of the pack and unload.  You just need to get used to bringing your broadside to bear first, rather than driving at them until they're in range.  They will aggro onto you.

7 minutes ago, UDO said:

look me up as much as u want , a lot of players like yourself the issues are because u dont understand the game mechanics properly , if it was a problem the pvp crowd would have been all over it …

Item number 2 of trolling - make it MY issue that I don't  understand the game mechanics. For the record, I DO have a player on PvP as well. They don't often use the Galleon because it's A) too pricy B) because a Brig can be stacked with tons of cannons to essentially become a Galleoan but with better turn rate. It's not addressed because nobody uses them except when defeating the Kraken, or when they just want to flex their muscle in a group of 3-5 ships in a massive Company.

I DO understand the game mechanics FULLY. I understand that players HAVE to make their ship ridiculous and ugly with stacked stern cannons because there is a PROBLEM with the way the ship can't TURN TO MEET ITS FOE. 
I've been here from the start of the game. Don't insult my intelligence.

6 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

i go hunting on my galleon all the time, frequently taking out 20 or so on a trip.  Once you learn to maneuver and attack in it, it handles just fine. The major things are that you don't let them get behind you in the first place, and if they do.. you can outrun them.  However, I approach, turn before they get into aggro range, and unload my broadsides.

I often fight 2-3 at a time this way, I drive into the center of the pack and unload.  You just need to get used to bringing your broadside to bear first, rather than driving at them until they're in range.  They will aggro onto you.

See, THIS is an answer. It still doesn't address the issue that the SotD can turn on a dime and often do. I shouldn't have to run away for 5 minutes because I can't turn. That's the point I've been trying to make.

Edited by Cantore

2 minutes ago, Cantore said:

See, THIS is an answer. It still doesn't address the issue that the SotD can turn on a dime and often do. I shouldn't have to run away for 5 minutes because I can't turn. That's the point I've been trying to make.

If it gets behind you, don't try to outmaneuver it, turn into it, rather than away.  you'll take a volley but then your guns will be in range.

The galleon probably needs the bad turn radius to make up for the speed, or it would be totally OP.  On a straight, you're the fastest ship in the game.  I often only go at half sail when hunting because I don't want to be too fast.  

Also, you turn faster with wind in your sails.  That's why you want to turn before you get into combat, so that you still have that "cruising velocity" to work with.  If you wait until you're fully stopped, you'll have no momentum and you've entered the "brick" phase of combat, where you basically have no choice but to tank everying.

And finally, remember that you out weight-class the SOTD (they are brigs).  Ram them if it comes to it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cantore said:

You're making the wrong post buddy, you have the right issue with the Sotd vrs galleon. You just have the wrong solution. Galleon turning radius is fine for the giant floating cork that it is, but the Sotd should not be able to turn on a dime. They can completely stay in a galleons blind spot if they smash straight into the rear side and keep you turning without presenting a shot while firing at you the whole time.

9 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

If it gets behind you, don't try to outmaneuver it, turn into it, rather than away.  you'll take a volley but then your guns will be in range.

The galleon probably needs the bad turn radius to make up for the speed, or it would be totally OP.  On a straight, you're the fastest ship in the game.  I often only go at half sail when hunting because I don't want to be too fast.  

Also, you turn faster with wind in your sails.  That's why you want to turn before you get into combat, so that you still have that "cruising velocity" to work with.  If you wait until you're fully stopped, you'll have no momentum and you've entered the "brick" phase of combat, where you basically have no choice but to tank everying.

And finally, remember that you out weight-class the SOTD (they are brigs).  Ram them if it comes to it.

I appreciate the tactics. I do. But, just because you've adjusted to horrible turn rates doesn't mean necessarily that it doesn't need to be adjusted by the Dev team. No real 1st rate or galleon EVER faced its square sails into the wind on purpose to turn. If a game has to incorporate that sort of tactic in order to turn the ship, again - it's BROKEN.

The best solution is simply adding another type of ship that fills the gap between brig and galleon. The ol Gally is big and slow to turn, painfully slow. But that's how she should be, unfortunately there just better for mass transport of goods then they are for fighting. 

I appreciate the tactics. I do. But, just because you've adjusted to horrible turn rates doesn't mean necessarily that it doesn't need to be adjusted by the Dev team. No real 1st rate or galleon EVER faced its square sails into the wind on purpose to turn. If a game has to incorporate that sort of tactic in order to turn the ship, again - it's BROKEN.

Oh, the whole sail system needs an overhaul. It's just like.... 6th or 7th on the pile of fires.  6 Masts, Handling Sails that don't really help your handling (they do a tiny but but not worth it etc).  Tehy should have a much more in-depth ship customization system allowing me to determine if I want to focus on speed, turning radius, etc.  Right now, there's no reason to ever use anything but 6 speed sails.  Even cargo sails aren't worth it (by the time they help you, you're so slow you will die to SOTD every time)

If you could open and close your sails individually, there would be a lot of help, because then you could do 4 speed and 2 handling, leave your handling open during combat, and they give you the wind to turn.  But even that's a oversimplification of where it should be.

2 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

Oh, the whole sail system needs an overhaul. It's just like.... 6th or 7th on the pile of fires.  6 Masts, Handling Sails that don't really help your handling (they do a tiny but but not worth it etc).  Tehy should have a much more in-depth ship customization system allowing me to determine if I want to focus on speed, turning radius, etc.  Right now, there's no reason to ever use anything but 6 speed sails.  Even cargo sails aren't worth it (by the time they help you, you're so slow you will die to SOTD every time)

See, in my original post, I made reference to a solution of just increasing turn radius by using handling sails. I'd be totally willing to compromise on this issue if Handling Sails actually made you turn sharper, while keeping with their current speed loss. If they fixed that alone, I do believe sailing would be close to awesomeness! The only other suggestion I would have from there would be to create a "manual" system that would allow the captain to control each of the various sails to maximize maneuverability.

See, in my original post, I made reference to a solution of just increasing turn radius by using handling sails. I'd be totally willing to compromise on this issue if Handling Sails actually made you turn sharper, while keeping with their current speed loss. If they fixed that alone, I do believe sailing would be close to awesomeness! The only other suggestion I would have from there would be to create a "manual" system that would allow the captain to control each of the various sails to maximize maneuverability.

Yeah, the problem with handling sails as a solution is that you are forced to open your speed sails too, and those take you too fast forward.

It would work best if you had 3 sail arrays, installed sails onto those (speed or handling or weight, based on your desire) and could then control whether you were opening your speed or handling sails, otherwise you'll always go forward too much.

9 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

Yeah, the problem with handling sails as a solution is that you are forced to open your speed sails too, and those take you too fast forward.

It would work best if you had 3 sail arrays, installed sails onto those (speed or handling or weight, based on your desire) and could then control whether you were opening your speed or handling sails, otherwise you'll always go forward too much.

I know that the handling sails can be turned (the angle they are at) faster and that they allow going faster closer to the wind, but I don't think they actually turn the ship any faster.

If you want to turn faster, I think you just need a smaller ship.

I think some people want this changed, they want the handling sails to also turn the ship faster.

Currently I just put one or no handling sails on my ships. I like to have one, that way I can see when to stop adjusting them faster.

Just now, wildbill said:

I know that the handling sails can be turned (the angle they are at) faster and that they allow going faster closer to the wind, but I don't think they actually turn the ship any faster.

They don't help directly.  Your ship turns faster if you have wind in your sails.  They have wind in their sails at a bigger angle, so they'll help in more scenarios than speed sails, but the benefit is minuscule.

Expecting a galleon to turn like a schooner is like expecting s Ford f350 diesel to turn as fast as a Porsche. Like other have stated, it's the biggest ship in the game and will handle as such.

9 minutes ago, =MGC=Ranger said:

Expecting a galleon to turn like a schooner is like expecting s Ford f350 diesel to turn as fast as a Porsche. Like other have stated, it's the biggest ship in the game and will handle as such.

See the problem with your argument (and to all those that keep making this stupid argument) is that I've never said once I want the Galleon to handle like a Brig OR a Schooner. I just don't want it to go straight when I want it to turn. THAT's the issue here. I have the rest of the various ship types, and this is the only one that literally turns 5 degrees every 30 seconds. It's just too slow for a game where the ghost ships can turn faster than a Brig. What I'm asking is not something that would be detrimental or OP to the game - simply make the turn radius a bit smaller so that SOME turn rate can be accomplished in battle, or allow handling sails to help with this for those that like this option.

Every single person told u the same thing yet you continue to argue. You are obviously younger and lack maturity to recognize when you are in the wrong. You speak of trolls in your OP, but it sounds as if you don't know what that is since clearly you are a forums troll responding to every post telling the same thing. Best wishes