Noodled Jenkins

Make this the pirate game it’s suppose to be

Make this a pirate game already. All battles are taking place on land. Battles revolve around tames. This may as well be bear cannon wars and you are lucky if you get attacked online.

Change claims to one per person period. And structures to personally owned only. Incentivizing smaller structures and smaller bases.

incentivise trading and ship movement by making resources spread out and raise the value and usefulness of gold. 

Making anchoring in your one personal claim give ship immunity to prevent Offlining.

This in turn will better server performance as it will reduce structural size of bases. 

Limit spawns to one land based bed and one boat based bed that players have to set similar to hearth stones in world of Warcraft.

• Like 1

Only part i agree with here are the OP tames when it comes to PVP. The rest would be a NO. There are better ways to handle the other stuff you mention. 

Seems another person got offline raided and lost everything.

1. Yes, this is a pirate game but it depends on players, most of them just build bases cuz thats important, people barely sail.

2. You want 1 claim per person but if everyone has only 1 claim then that person will build his/her entire base there and most of them wont get shore claim for shipyard and all the resources will be blocked due to buildings.

3. Resources are already well spread and some of them are really rare.

4. If your ship and base become totally immune to everything on offline raiding, even when someone raids you while you are online, everyone can just leave the game and the raid will fail bcoz you are offline.

5. No. Structures wont improve server performance because servers are really shit, can't even handle 10 players in ruins.

6. So if you have multiple ships and a friend needs help then you can't do anything.

I understand your complaints but they are related to solo players which devs aren't focusing on bcoz they want this game to have larger companies and alliances.

*Someone will point this: You signed up for Early Access, so you are testing it. It takes time for devs to do things(they are currently atleast listening to community). 

16 minutes ago, Vegetto said:

4. If your ship and base become totally immune to everything on offline raiding, even when someone raids you while you are online, everyone can just leave the game and the raid will fail bcoz you are offline.

I understand your complaints but they are related to solo players which devs aren't focusing on bcoz they want this game to have larger companies and alliances.

Offline protection doesn't mean that everything instantly goes into full immunity. Everything I've seen it implemented in involves 30 minute to 1 hr timer after last person logs off, before it goes immune, with the additional protection that if you're being attacked when you log off, the offline timer never kicks in.

The devs have stated that they want to make the game more accessable for solo/small group players, so I'm not sure where the second statement is coming from. The 1 person/1 claim theory does the exact opposite of that.

Its all speculation, though, until Thursday afternoon's livestream, and it seems that they've decided on some fixes to try. Hopefully ones that work for most people, and bring some people back, but, time to wait and see, I guess.

5 hours ago, Noodled Jenkins said:

Make this a pirate game already. All battles are taking place on land. Battles revolve around tames. This may as well be bear cannon wars and you are lucky if you get attacked online.

Change claims to one per person period. And structures to personally owned only. Incentivizing smaller structures and smaller bases.

incentivise trading and ship movement by making resources spread out and raise the value and usefulness of gold. 

Making anchoring in your one personal claim give ship immunity to prevent Offlining.

This in turn will better server performance as it will reduce structural size of bases. 

Limit spawns to one land based bed and one boat based bed that players have to set similar to hearth stones in world of Warcraft.

Well tames are the best thing about this game soyeah, they will get an even stronger emphasis more and more.

you want to stop land battles you are just going to have to make bases in general invulnerable. And only make it to where ships can be damaged. That way all of the fighting goes on in the sea.

tames aren’t going anywhere and just wait, even more will continue to get added.

playershops will finally get rid of trading. You want the game to be more pirate? Me too. That is why I don’t want trading going on because that is definitely not being a pirate.

only allowing beds to be placed "ONLY" on ships/rafts would be good to promote the pirate game play 

at the moment the game forces you to do land vs land combat base vs base combat kinda retarded 

37 minutes ago, Realist said:

playershops will finally get rid of trading. You want the game to be more pirate? Me too. That is why I don’t want trading going on because that is definitely not being a pirate.

really? 🤣

7 hours ago, Vegetto said:

Every MMOs pushes group play. They do this because they feel you will make friends and will stay/play longer. 

Most MMOs later come to an understanding the solo players are a large part of their base and they need to have support for that play style also.

I think it would be funny as hell if the devs did the live stream drunken and we could get honest answers from them.. lol Though I'd bet a lot of it would be angry replies to a lot of the hate they end up receiving. lol But it would be funny and entertaining as hell and would be a great way to just kick back imo.. 😄

• Haha 1

I hate to break it to you but this isn't a pirate game. It's a fantasy Age of Sails game. Yeah, they tried to play it off as a pirate game but pirates aren't even in the name of the game. Sea of Thieves is a pirate game. Sid Meier's Pirates! is a pirate game. This ain't even close. The sooner everyone stops deluding themselves the better off they'll be. 

• Like 1

IMO battles are nice exept pets. They are really OP. The bear only would be overpowered alone, not even speaking about cannon bears, Swivel bears etc. Tames are too strong. Bears are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too tanky and doing tooo much dmg. Player vs player takes place on top of buildings and hills, where bears can't reach. but you can hide behind a bear, it wont die from some hits.... lawl......

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Noodled Jenkins said:

1) Change claims to one per person period. And structures to personally owned only. Incentivizing smaller structures and smaller bases. 

they can´t. people would lose all their claims, their claim ranking would not work, the game is not intended to be "one claim per person"

2) incentivise trading and ship movement by making resources spread out and raise the value and usefulness of gold. 

they did that already with sap for example. people complained they need to travel to far to get sap, they changed it based on player feedback to be more available

3) Making anchoring in your one personal claim give ship immunity to prevent Offlining.

you only have 1 claim and then it has to be a water claim

4) This in turn will better server performance as it will reduce structural size of bases. 

it won´t. people will work around this and just build on multiple claims etc.

5) Limit spawns to one land based bed and one boat based bed that players have to set similar to hearth stones in world of Warcraft.

works good with 100+ people company and 1 min. bed CD 

12 hours ago, znasser said:

really? 🤣

Yep. Just wait. You are laughing now but me....👍

18 minutes ago, Realist said:

Yep. Just wait. You are laughing now but me....👍

Here is the thing, if everyone is supposed to be a pirate, why would anyone ever want to trade anything?

A "pirate game" only works if there are large numbers of NPCs to pirate.  Once there are players supposed to do anything but be a pirate 24/7...then it's no longer a pirate game.  

2 minutes ago, Slash78 said:

Here is the thing, if everyone is supposed to be a pirate, why would anyone ever want to trade anything?

A "pirate game" only works if there are large numbers of NPCs to pirate.  Once there are players supposed to do anything but be a pirate 24/7...then it's no longer a pirate game.  

You just described a pirate game. Trade companies are done son. That was just a stupid vision certain players had. 

Do you know how much raiding happened in ark. Yeah welcome to it 

3 minutes ago, Realist said:

You just described a pirate game. Trade companies are done son. That was just a stupid vision certain players had. 

Do you know how much raiding happened in ark. Yeah welcome to it 

Wanting an open world sandbox were people do things other than going around and shitting in everyone else's Cheerios 24/7 isn't a stupid vision.

That being said, the Ark/Atlas devs likely won't be able to figure out how to make that happen.  Though unlike Ark, single player and unofficial servers won't be a salvation.  People are either forced to play on the official server or leave.  And most have left (as seen here https://steamcharts.com/app/834910. And now, that's not "normal" as seen by Ark here, https://steamcharts.com/app/346110).  

Though what part of the livestream I did catch, the devs seem to be determined to treat some of the symptoms and not the causes.

2 minutes ago, Slash78 said:

Wanting an open world sandbox were people do things other than going around and shitting in everyone else's Cheerios 24/7 isn't a stupid vision.

That being said, the Ark/Atlas devs likely won't be able to figure out how to make that happen.  Though unlike Ark, single player and unofficial servers won't be a salvation.  People are either forced to play on the official server or leave.  And most have left (as seen here https://steamcharts.com/app/834910. And now, that's not "normal" as seen by Ark here, https://steamcharts.com/app/346110).  

Though what part of the livestream I did catch, the devs seem to be determined to treat some of the symptoms and not the causes.

Don’t quote ark numbers and atlas numbers with me man. I already know. 

Evidently you don’t realize this is ark. The sooner you realize it the better

8 minutes ago, Realist said:

Don’t quote ark numbers and atlas numbers with me man. I already know. 

Evidently you don’t realize this is ark. The sooner you realize it the better

I quoted those number because someone will read this and say "but everything is fine, no problem with the player pop".  And while I know this is basically Ark, I know it can't be Ark.  One, Ark already exists and two, if Ark had to rely on the Official servers alone it wouldn't have made it this far.  

6 minutes ago, Slash78 said:

I quoted those number because someone will read this and say "but everything is fine, no problem with the player pop".  And while I know this is basically Ark, I know it can't be Ark.  One, Ark already exists and two, if Ark had to rely on the Official servers alone it wouldn't have made it this far.  

Ah ok. I don’t blame you then. There is actually a lot of reeeee on the forums. 

I don’t agree, however, on ark not being successful without Unofficials. Not true at all. I am on Xbox and still see multiple servers full and some servers half full(not legacy mind you). 

Lets talk about legacy for a sec. there should have been a wipe on official release and Jeremy wanted it. The other shit devs made the very big mistake of begging him to not wipe. That did actually cause a downfall.

they did learn this time though. If you do a major change(realizing the claim system was stupid AF) then you wipe. All these little people that want to claim EA on bugs and then cry about a wipe is just sad and pathetic when it comes down to it

10 minutes ago, Realist said:

Ah ok. I don’t blame you then. There is actually a lot of reeeee on the forums. 

I don’t agree, however, on ark not being successful without Unofficials. Not true at all. I am on Xbox and still see multiple servers full and some servers half full(not legacy mind you). 

Lets talk about legacy for a sec. there should have been a wipe on official release and Jeremy wanted it. The other shit devs made the very big mistake of begging him to not wipe. That did actually cause a downfall.

they did learn this time though. If you do a major change(realizing the claim system was stupid AF) then you wipe. All these little people that want to claim EA on bugs and then cry about a wipe is just sad and pathetic when it comes down to it

We'll have to agree to disagree on the Official server issue.  As for wipes, I've spent almost all of my time in Atlas playing on an RP server that's already been wiped once.  I've played on more Ark servers than I can count.  Playing on an unofficial server is always a risk as there is always a chance the server can literally disappear over night (due to someone simply not paying the bill) or those running it will move on to another game.  Or a new update will come out and they'll add/delete maps from the server cluster.  (And there is always the chance those running the server will add so many mods it will be a pain to play on).  So for those crying over wipes, suck it up, buttercup.

As for how to make the official servers in Atlas a lot more playable for a large population, I have ideas and they don't include off-line raid protection.  You have to give people a reason not to attack something, not to KOS.  Though you also want to give people a war to fight somewhere.  You need to get as many people involve and feeling invested.  I think factions rather than player companies is the way to do that (though I would keep player companies and would not force everyone to join a faction).  

1 minute ago, Slash78 said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on the Official server issue.  As for wipes, I've spent almost all of my time in Atlas playing on an RP server that's already been wiped once.  I've played on more Ark servers than I can count.  Playing on an unofficial server is always a risk as there is always a chance the server can literally disappear over night (due to someone simply not paying the bill) or those running it will move on to another game.  Or a new update will come out and they'll add/delete maps from the server cluster.  (And there is always the chance those running the server will add so many mods it will be a pain to play on).  So for those crying over wipes, suck it up, buttercup.

As for how to make the official servers in Atlas a lot more playable for a large population, I have ideas and they don't include off-line raid protection.  You have to give people a reason not to attack something, not to KOS.  Though you also want to give people a war to fight somewhere.  You need to get as many people involve and feeling invested.  I think factions rather than player companies is the way to do that (though I would keep player companies and would not force everyone to join a faction).  

The only way is offline raid protections 

plenty of people say that will kill the game, funny thing is a lot of people say a lot of things will kill the game.

offline raid protection would save the game 

I agree. Land battles and tames are the most boring part of this game. It is very peculiar that for For a pirate game there exists only 3 ships capable of combat....

The current choices for pirate battles are:

• Schooner, Brig or Galleon
  • Medium Cannon or Large Cannon
  • Fast Speed Sail

That is some incredible and amazing variety. It's overwhelming the choices we have.

Tames maybe. But land battles are  not boring and no where in anyone's right mind would someone think it has to be only naval battles all the time. There are different games for that kind of linear gameplay and not really openended world. The game would actually be boring if it was only ship battles or at sea with no land base battles. It would not be very logical either. There should be both. They just need to be appealing and fun.

The thing I get from the OP is make this game less generic and more thematic. There needs to be a lot more handcrafted stuff in the pipes, more biomes and more detailed lands, more detailed ships with more options, ship interiors, all that so it feels more stylized than a copy and paste arcadey gameworld. Not just reskins or typical looking land and building types and ships. That stuff is later down the road I hope.

But its not like the game isn't good enough or fun enough at start in many ways. These devs have some things very good, better than any game. For instance their colors in Ark and Atlas along with sunsets and day cycles and stuff, with fog are the best so far. The colors are very lively and vibrant. It doesn't seem dull or drabby, its warm and inviting. Even in arctic areas its feels like you're exploring. BUT, the actual landmass is a bit different. I feel like they went to far with Ark storyline and xpacks, and got away from what really makes their games shine. Ark it was dino's and the land, the flora and fauna. they got away from it too much with other stuff. They should put more emphasis on their land biomes and make them very detailed with lots of depth. They are good, but feel  like any other game too much and arcadey. Dont remove tames tone them down and add diff ones, make the lands more diverse and more detailed. Not here to just explore an an open endless sea, or only adventure on a boat and land as an afterthought. There are caves, hideouts, temples, you name it. Sea's are just the highways and roads unless someone is on a binge to live on the sea. Add some rogue wave chances, different levels of rain and snow weather effects. Ship interiors need more details, like if you look at cool pirate ship cabin pics online.

Also they dont need to change everything regarding PVP all across the board. High risk high reward and openended game with lots of diff strategy is where its at. I played solo, in small tribe, and in medium/large tribe. On one hand I said I wish stone was easier to raid as a solo player so I could get stuff and not farm constantly when I couldn't even protect it. As a player in a small tribe I said I wish stone was harder to raid because we cant protect this well and we need a million NPC's and upkeep all the time. As for large tribe, I dunno, they give me the willies. To much conflicts of interests in them for me, and people get overlooked and made slaves.

Edited by mastro_akq