Vorxius

PvE ship parking whilst mapping etiquette

Hey all,

Something I have been curious about, and I must admit overly paranoid about as well...  I wanted to see what general opinion is on this.

So lately been cruising around running our treasure hunts, and inevitably each and every island you have to anchor up in someone's yard.  Most often there's a marina or jetty which I feel bad about using, but it provides a safe, and quick / easy access to the island, and once we're done with the hunt, we're back on the boat and sailing off into the sun.

My question is on our PvE server, do most people not mind at all if someone hauls up, borrows a place to park up (or just anchors off the beach) does a quick map and be off again?   If someone is around I do make myself known, and assure the owners that it's a quick stop off..  Most often no one is home and you just have to take it for granted that it's ok.

For me personally, we only have a small base of ops, and a single two sided pier... one day I logged in and shat myself that a huge galleon was taking up half of our port, and we had bears and elephants in our super quiet spot running through our base...  We deliberately do not close off our base just in case people want to, but it's always a surprise!  The captain of the ship (and crew) started chatting to us and said they just needed to do some resourcing on their way through, and make some emergency repairs..  We actually offered them all the stock they needed to make repairs and some (to save time, and to help them out), they were obv very grateful and we made some friends that day (luckily).  As quickly as they were here, they loaded up and were off...

But as much as I'd like to think everyone has our communal mentality, i'm sure others out there do not, and heard horror stories of pillars being used to 'imprison' or hold ships to ransom for parking in turf...   

What do you guys think?  are you ok with ships hauling up at your bases / piers to run a quick map / make emergency repairs?  Anything I should take in to consideration when finding a place to temporarily set down?

(sorry for long post!)

Vx

• Like 1

I/we park as close as possible but are not there more than 10 minutes. If someone asks we would move ship immediately. If we leave a ship overnight we generally park on a non developed coast trying not to block anyone.

I have a public parking area and wouldn’t mind if people doing maps or pit stops use my own docking area.

• Like 3

We park as to not block anyone elses boat. I can tell you if they have a bank set up, you are surely welcome lol. As long as you dont block any boats in, anchor in..Ive stayed anchored over night before with no issue. Just be sure not to block any ports, boatyards or vessels.

• Like 4

So, my group has been kinda wondering this as well, but from the base owner perspective. We have been building a freeport styled POI in O3, which includes a big dock that curves around the entire city. We have most of our ships parked on it, but we try to leave big enough open spaces for people to come park, do what they want to do, and maybe even check out the town. The issue we have experienced though, is that people cruise by and I think they don't know if they are allowed to park or not. We are trying to figure out a way to let people know that it's cool and encouraged to use our parking space and to check out our area. As far as the fear of being blocked in, people would have to bring a serious fleet to cut off all of our ships, and even then, I'm fairly confident we could get our ships out.

Moral of the long and winded response, absolutely park on open docks, unless noted else wise I suppose. I'm confident my group is not the only one that wants people to stop by and check out what's going on.

• Like 1

When I park short term I just try not to block any ships. If i'm making an extended stay Ill park as far away from any bases or docks as I can, especially with my galleon, and I park perpendicular to the shore so I take up the least amount of shoreline.

I dont mind people parking on our shore as long as they dont block anything and its not more then a few days. I also keep several public water resivoirs and a public larder with food and milk near our beach, and will soon have crafting stations set up as well.

I wish we had a non collidable billboard sized buoy to mark our parking areas. Sure you can write on the current buoy but its so small its really hard to read unless your up close

Edited by jabnlab
  • Like 1

We welcome visitors, and leave all the people buildings unlocked, often leaving crafting station empty and unlocked.     

We have buoys marking dangerous places where there is extended shallow water.

• Default color, something unexpectedly dangerous right there, if multiples do not sail between them.
  • Green underwater outcrop from land.
  • Red closest dangerous area gets to land.
  • Company Color (Cerulean Blue) reserved spot in near land, safe passage is far in water.
  • White Safe docking for public temporary (overnight ok).

Schooners can go between green and red in calm water, but go slowly.  there may be some turns. to make the course.  we are working on a signaling system for Brigs and Galleons.

We also like to build the Shipyards sticking in water past the dangerous areas.   Larger ships should not sail between shipyards and land.. Usually have dock or zip line from land to ship yard.

To OP, don't block inlets or other ships from getting out to sea.  Unless invited in message don't park at the docks overnight.   Stopping to do a treasure map and get discovery points most don't mind.    The ones that do, usually have the land blocked off with large gates.

For longer stays, like until next weekend, find a nice spot on beach, back up to land and drop anchor.    There is lots of spots for that. no one will likely even notice your there. 

Also when avoiding a storm,  there is a term for that "Any port in a storm".

Edited by José Gaspar
  • Like 2

I agree with most everyone else, as long as you can avoid blocking someone’s ships or dock access most people won’t mind, I however have experienced the ones that like a good prank, I stopped in F5 to grab some sugar and parked beside a shipyard thinking there was plenty of room for the owner or anyone else who also wanted to show up and even then they could always dock in the shipyard itself. I was wrong, I had to log out and leave my Brigantine overnight and when I logged back on I found gates and pillars around my ship with no way to maneuver away.  For what seemed like a contact the Devs moment ended with a I learned my lesson moment. The person who had built the cage around my brig had left a few of the pillars set to be demolished which allowed me to sail away. I now try to contact people before docking or stay far enough out of people area that it would be more aggravation then it’s worth to block my ship in again.   Just some food for thought

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks everyone for posting here, very insightful and full of optimistic assurances!   Very very much appreciate it.  It's been a very good read.

Cudos.

• Like 1

doesnt bother me in slightest i have a dock with raised stairs for easy ship access ,if one of my ships isnt parked in the bay use it , safe an d easy fast access to board your ship 

• Like 1

Make liberal use of signs.

If you put up a "2 - hour parking" sign on your piers, it lets people know you're ok with people using it temporarily.

I rarely park at other people's piers, although it's often the case that there is no pier where I'm going.  I get around a lot.  If there are Piers there, I usually base my decision on the amount of free space.  The message on the claim bouy also matters, if there is one.  If they List out the resources on their island, or state "feel free to park" I will of course.  In lawless, I try to use signs or if it's obvious they've made multiple parking spaces and left them open.

I never park overnight on another group's pier.  I will always move to an "inhospitable" part of the coast, as in one where you don't have easy access to land without swimming.  It prevents misunderstandings.  

• Like 1

When I was sailing everywhere on a raft, I had a hard time at islands because you can get permanently stuck in shipyards, and the raft turning radius is awful, especially if the wind is with you.  If I had a situation where I had to leave and thought it might be a problem, I'd stick a sign on the raft apologizing and saying when I'd be back for it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

If I had a situation where I had to leave and thought it might be a problem, I'd stick a sign on the raft apologizing and saying when I'd be back for it.

If I've learned one thing in this game, it's that Signs are huge.  People aren't psychic and it takes all of that out.  "Why did this a-hole pillar spam this part of the island?  Oh, there's a sign that says "XXX Resource, help yourself"

• Like 1

I think if you just avoid any heavy ship clusters and don't block anyone's exit, you will be fine for a few hours.

• Like 1

I build docks for just this purpose, with open water barrels around for people to fill up on as well.

I have never had a problem with strangers parking there only with my own company leaving their ships haphazardly around.

• Like 1

we offer safe harbor to any that need it. we allow overnight parking and willing to accommodate longer times if needed. we do not like it when people abandon ships in our territory as this just makes it difficult for us to build and harvest. we did have on ship abandoned in our territory but he was kind enough to leave the ship pretty far off shore in shallows, which had little effect on us. his character has since died from having been logged off for too long but the ship is still there. Another ship was abandoned in our neighbors territory near vital resources. my neighbor claims this has prevented those resources from respawning.

Can ships do that?

Edited by Skyroguen
  • Like 1