Bolognapwny

WTF...You really think thats the answer?

2 hours ago, Bolognapwny said:

Upkeep is only good for PVE, and I have no idea why they are doing Game designed revolved around a Server that literally doesn't matter... PVE should be left to private servers...... wtf is this company doing.

They are doing it for PvE and PvP servers. Jat has said many times he wants both to be solo/small group friendlier. PvP may not need the "upkeep" but it still needs the limits.

18 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

No wonder you don't understand the problem.  You ARE the problem.  A 2 man crew doesn't need 120 claims.

So instead of adding constructively to the conversation or even staying on the same subject matter, you attack me personally. Ouch. I am not sure I even want to continue reading the garbage coming from your mouth, but I am curious.

How many claims on the pve servers do you think right now today are unclaimed?  10 days after the first 21 day timers go off, getting rid of all the deadwood, how many claims do you think will be unclaimed on the pve servers?  How about 15 days after, or 20?

A ton available to steal? Do you even think about what you are going to say, before you say it?

Under the current system, there will never be any unclaimed land on the pve servers.  Ever.  But your 2 man crew will have 400 claims.

You are correct. There may never been any unclaimed land. That is why it is called stealing. Perhaps if you spent more time educating yourself on the game, instead of doing personal attacks against people spreading the truth...

You call people lazy.  How intellectually lazy and challenged do you have to be to imagine what a new player, entering the game in May is going to find when they set out on a great adventure in search of land?

It depends on if they are lazy or prefer to spend their time on the forums finding things to bitch about.

I would imagine they may first go to lawless and build a starter base. Once they are setup and have a schooner or brig, they will take off on a grand adventure. The first island or two they encounter will most likely have at least one flag with a timer running down. Since this person is not lazy, they will make a note of the coords and timer. After a few hours of sailing, they call it a night. They have work tomorrow. Good news though, they have 7 locations written down and one timer expires tomorrow!

The next day they log in and make sure their ship has plenty of provisions. Their first stop? The claim that expires in 4 hours. They have a ship, they have provisions and they have 7 locations to visit.... it will be a long night.

----------------------------------------------------------------

So you can insult me or flame me or whatever makes your itsy bitsy epeen feel bigger. Doesn't matter. My point is rock solid. There are claims out there. Quit being lazy and quit listening to the jerks on the forums who spread lies. The claim system works on PvE. If it didn't, you wouldn't be bitching about me would you? Yeh, you probably would... trolls gonna troll.

Edited by Bryan

17 minutes ago, DilBert said:

They are doing it for PvE and PvP servers. Jat has said many times he wants both to be solo/small group friendlier. PvP may not need the "upkeep" but it still needs the limits.

"A small company will be able to hold a vast trade network." Jat said something similar to that before the game was released. It was my main concern. In Ark a small tribe could accomplish everything a large tribe could, it just took longer and they had to want it. I am mostly solo or with one or two people, so that was my main concern going in.

I bust my ass in this game so that my casual friends have a nice place to play when they can. As long as the game does not put some artificial limit on what I can accomplish, solely based on my member count, I am fine. The moment I am limited in what I can accomplish, no matter how hard I work, I am gone.

*EDIT*

By limitations I am not referring to any upkeep cost. That would be fine, as it is something I could do if I wanted. I mean by putting in limits like # of claims based on member count.

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

So instead of adding constructively to the conversation or even staying on the same subject matter, you attack me personally. Ouch. I am not sure I even want to continue reading the garbage coming from your mouth, but I am curious.

So you can insult me or flame me or whatever makes your itsy bitsy epeen feel bigger. Doesn't matter. My point is rock solid. There are claims out there. Quit being lazy and quit listening to the jerks on the forums who spread lies. The claim system works on PvE. If it didn't, you wouldn't be bitching about me would you? Yeh, you probably would... trolls gonna troll.

Calm down, honey.  Nobody is attacking you personally.  There's no need for teenage peenie references.  The problem with claims is that a 2 man company can have 200 of them or 400 of them or 800 of them.  That's a problem even if it makes you very very happy to do that.  

You keep saying "there are claims out there".  But that's not the point.  The point is to do with overall game design, and ongoing management of claims.  Not what's out there right now because of a huge post-launch dropoff followed by a 21 day timer.  That timer is going to free up a whole bunch of claims most of which will be immediately grabbed by neighboring claims, and now we are right back to square one.  Without claim limits, the only new land becoming available will be 21 days after somebody decides to quit.

So the devs face a great decision on that.  They can either encourage players to quit so new players can try to find some land (before someone like you makes it his 423rd claim), or they can try to make sure that there's enough land to go around.  If their goal is to get 25 new players a week into the game, 25 older players have to quit to make room for them.  You seem to accept it as given that all land has to be "stolen" (which is weird for pve), but I don't.  I think there should always be land that just is not claimed yet.  I don't think part of the pve game should fighting other players for land, especially for new players and especially against someone who probably is already sitting right next door to it watching the flag count down.

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

The next day they log in and make sure their ship has plenty of provisions. Their first stop? The claim that expires in 4 hours. They have a ship, they have provisions and they have 7 locations to visit.... it will be a long night.

That's another part of the problem, especially on pve.  Many players don't have "a long night".  Instead they have kids and jobs and chores to do and families to be with.  There are @ 423 islands with claimable land.  After the dust settles from booting all the quitters, let's say you have 10 people /day leaving the game split over 423 islands.  (And 10 people a day is a very high estimate) That's a needle in a haystack  finding a claim that's expiring within, say 2 days.  Add to that that you need to find nobody else sitting there to grab it, and that the timer has to expire at a time you can actually be around to contest it.

These kinds of players are not going to be happy searching for a week, finally finding a claim that's going to expire in 2 days, 6 hours and 35 minutes, when at that time it's going to be 2AM and they have to be to work at 8, and by the time they get home someone else will have grabbed it up.   

It's too much to expect people to put up with when they're starting out in a new game, and it gets boring as hell.  People want to get into their set-up phase and get going.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2019 at 7:50 AM, Jozzie McTowel said:

Delete fast travel option, give people one bed they have to set as "spawnpoint" and no other beds to travel to by killing themselves and spawning elsewhere. If you want to have another bed to spawn on you'll need to travel to that place by boat or foot or goat or w.e. and use the bed menu to set this bed as your new spawnpoint. People who are real pirates will have their bed on a boat, if the boat sinks, they'll be able to set a new spawnpoint, same goes for landbased beds that might get destroyed in a PVP battle, people get the option to spawn on a different bed which will be their new and set spawnpoint from that point on. This should be coded in a way that it will not work in case you or a company/alliance member demolishes or even destroys the bed by damaging it until it hits 0. In that case when people to try to beat the system they'll be able to choose at which Freeport they want to spawn next. Is it fully safe to not be exploited? Probably not, I can see big companies having smaller companies on the side who have access to these beds through pin coded doors who can be asked to login and just do that, might just as wel be an alt account. But it would still be better than being able to teleport all over the map while we're supposed to be sailing as a form of transportation. Either that or start adding gems and crystals to the bed materials so it at least feels like we're building a magical teleportation device than an empty frame without a matrass 😄

Just to make things clear people can still build multiple beds and place them all over the map if they like, but the idea is they have to travel to that bed physically before they can interact with it to make it their new spawnpoint.

This may be a good idea for PvP, but not PvE.  My company (fairly small at 12, but 7 or 8 active members) do not always play at the same time.  If one member sailed off to explore an island, or do a few treasure maps, we can join them at some point by spawning at their bed.  This is a lot more fun than 'Hey, I sailed from A12 to F5, come join me' and then have to sail that distance as well.  As it is, any loot we receive can not be fast traveled with us, so we need to wait for the ship to return.  I think this is a fair way to play, even though my best gear is often on a crewmates ship, and I am stuck waiting for it to return.  

tldr: fast travel is a better group play mechanic for PvE.  Please do not consider removing it or making it restrictive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Winter Thorne said:

The problem with claims is that a 2 man company can have 200 of them or 400 of them or 800 of them.

Dude, this is a land conquest game. Read the game description.

Also, it should not matter how many claims a 2 man company has. Leave the number of members out of the equation, period. If a 20 man company can get 100 claims, a 2 man company should have the ability to do so as well. Leave the number of members out of it. With hard work, the number of members should not matter. Period.

You keep saying "there are claims out there".  But that's not the point.

Sorry, but that was the entire point I was making. If you have other points to make, do not drag me into them. My point was that there ARE claims out there. You were the one that decided to attack me and say that I was the problem. You can try and candy coat it now, but that is the truth.

That's another part of the problem, especially on pve.  Many players don't have "a long night".  Instead they have kids and jobs and chores to do and families to be with. 

I cut that quote short, because.... wow. So someone buys a survival conquest game, that does not have much time.. and then bitches about how much time it takes? If you only have 30 mins a day to play, there is no hope you will ever make it in pretty much any survival game. Do not use that argument, as it holds no water. When it takes 4 hours to claim a flag, you need to be on a little longer than an hour. So maybe you should change your complaint to the timer?

And come on dude, seriously? "a long night" is a pretty common figure of speech, to mean you are going to have to settle in a while and get comfortable. lol

Edited by Bryan