Sign in to follow this  
Bolognapwny

FFS its a dumb idea

Cannons should only snap into cannon ports... how and why is this even up for a topic... or can you guys not figure out how to make snap points for cannons on boats?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Cannons should only snap into cannon ports...

IMAO they should. But there also should be a stern/nose/top deck's gunports in the game. I personally hate those unreal ugly lovers designs, and never build one. But in my experience all games allowing ppl to create their own designs are get there - players just find most efficient way to create things, put them to the guides and that's it.

So if ppl find that's fun and best way to do like that:

OSQXs1u.jpg

...they just do. The question is - did DEVs see things going to be like that? : )

Edited by George Catcher
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

honestly, when i still played, i stopped using gun ports altogether because they're basically worthless now because of the large cannon spam you can put on top deck.  i mean, why spread your shots out when you can take out a ship with one shot with a grouped up and stacked large cannon broadside. Id like to see this nerfed too. 

Edited by Enki Anunnaki
  • Thanks 1

Imagine how fun the Ship pvp could be if ships were made to use gunports.... it would make seeing a brig in a schooner scary... but the fact that I can snap 20 large cannons on a schooner and one shot a brig is the dumbest thing in the world... I am forced to use this... but I literally cringe as I sail around.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, if you use stupid tactics its becuase your unable to compete normally. I could build a cannon wall. But it looks stupid and is obviously not the original intent.

I could glitch into the bottom of ships, but its obviously a flaw.

I could use esp and auto aim as there are no repercussions to doing so. But why wouldnt i just host my own servr and play solo if i dont want to compete with others?

Im sure many of you have no objections as i see the cannon wall ships everywhere. What can i say, the majority of humans are followers. Monkey see monkey do.

• Thanks 1

Agreed. Cannons should have gunports and cutouts on the top decks where thats the only places they can be put. The meta of fitting as many cannons as possible on a ship is pretty dumb. In addition to the existing gunports, 9 cutouts along each side of the top deck, 2 front facing and about 4 chase cannons would be more than enough.

Hell, I'd lower the cannons health so that if they take a solid hit, they're gone. Increase plank health, decrease sail health.  Make it about who can disable the other's ship first, not just put each other on the bottom. Once they're disabled, you can board and loot, and get the choice to scuttle or capture the ship. Y'know, pirate-like things.

• Like 1

5 cannons on schooner aren't enough to take down a lvl 30 sotd without losing half of your planks and in PvP it'll just get rekt by a bigger ship and wont even have a chance to defend or attack a galleon with 5 cannons and no armor. And to be practical you can place as many cannons as you want depending on the weight. So don't cry if you got rekt by those ugly looking armoured and 20 cannon schooners and brigs bcoz those are pretty OP.

9 hours ago, Enki Anunnaki said:

honestly, when i still played, i stopped using gun ports altogether because they're basically worthless now because of the large cannon spam you can put on top deck.  i mean, why spread your shots out when you can take out a ship with one shot with a grouped up and stacked large cannon broadside. Id like to see this nerfed too. 

Yeah, I think they should just make the footprint way bigger so you have to spread them out more. 

1 minute ago, Smash said:

Yeah, I think they should just make the footprint way bigger so you have to spread them out more. 

This would lead to more problems than it would solve.  Just create snap points for cannons on the decks.  Similar to how placing sails works.  No snap point, no cannon.  On land, no snap points needed, bunch those cannons up as much as you like.

The structure limit system for ships needs to take into account port, starboard, bow, stern as different sections of the ship. The structure limit needs to take into account the difference in weight between different sections of the ship. If the ship weight is too unbalanced the ship gets a debuff that severely restricts its seaworthiness. 

Any argument about restricting variety in designs available is countered by the fact that the only difference in the handful of current designs everyone uses is what direction the cannons face. 

Players will always move towards the most effective designs. To encourage variance in ships we need far more ship types, each with different limitations that encourages them to be used for specific roles. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pyrate27 said:

The structure limit system for ships needs to take into account port, starboard, bow, stern as different sections of the ship. The structure limit needs to take into account the difference in weight between different sections of the ship. If the ship weight is too unbalanced the ship gets a debuff that severely restricts its seaworthiness. 

Any argument about restricting variety in designs available is countered by the fact that the only difference in the handful of current designs everyone uses is what direction the cannons face. 

Players will always move towards the most effective designs. To encourage variance in ships we need far more ship types, each with different limitations that encourages them to be used for specific roles. 

Yeah, that would be the ideal, I'd rather watch unbalanced ships capsize at random times, but I figured that would be a lot harder to code in than just snap points for cannons.

51 minutes ago, Vegetto said:

5 cannons on schooner aren't enough to take down a lvl 30 sotd without losing half of your planks and in PvP it'll just get rekt by a bigger ship and wont even have a chance to defend or attack a galleon with 5 cannons and no armor. And to be practical you can place as many cannons as you want depending on the weight. So don't cry if you got rekt by those ugly looking armoured and 20 cannon schooners and brigs bcoz those are pretty OP.

That's the point. You shouldn't be competing with bigger ships in firepower,  to beat them, you'd have to out maneuver them, staying out of range as much as possible, not sailing straight in and shotgunning them.

6 minutes ago, pyrate27 said:

Now that would be interesting! flipping or sinking your ship by oversteering with disproportionate weight.. woop woop! I dig it. like riding a bicycle

At the very least they need to re-visit the weight systems on boats.. having Acton of cannons at the front or all on one side should make it sink really. 

7 minutes ago, MeatSammich said:

That's the point. You shouldn't be competing with bigger ships in firepower,  to beat them, you'd have to out maneuver them, staying out of range as much as possible, not sailing straight in and shotgunning them.

Historically, smaller craft were used to get under the firing arc of the larger cannons, allowing the smaller craft to cause severe damage.  It was usually very difficult to pull off, but when it worked, large vessels fell to rafts.  But this relates to what pyrate27 said about variety of ships that have special roles.

This would be very good for the game, I think.

The problem with snap points for canons is the restriction it has on designs. 

Personally in not seeing this 'everyone uses the same meta build' mentality mentioned here under the current system. If you were forced to use snap points then every boat would be exactly the same. 

This of course also ignored the fact that cabins and other areas of ships currently need to be built and pretty much all forward and backwards facing canons must sit on ceilings. Now you could potentially say that each ceiling should have snap points and only 1 cannon per tile, that is something people could work with and still have interesting designs. 

1 hour ago, Smash said:

If you were forced to use snap points then every boat would be exactly the same. 

You mean the way every ships' sails are exactly the same?  But they're not.  Which is why I said to do the snap points in a similar way.  Provide many snap points, they can even overlap, but once a cannon is placed, the next snap over will be spaced out.  It's like the sails, there are snap points close together before you place the sail, but once you place it, one of those two that was close together is no longer usable until the sail is removed.

1 hour ago, Smash said:

Now you could potentially say that each ceiling should have snap points and only 1 cannon per tile, that is something people could work with and still have interesting designs. 

This, more than anything else, would cause the problem you claim snap points would have.

Just add a radius around cannons where another cannon cannot be built, the way sails are.

Problem solved.

37 minutes ago, gadefence said:

Just add a radius around cannons where another cannon cannot be built, the way sails are.

Problem solved.

Sails use snap points, not radius.

On 2/27/2019 at 4:42 AM, Puppies4ever said:

@Bolognapwny

Like i said in the other thread......STOP YOUR TOXIC RUMORS!

WTF are you talking about?  This is not a rumor... do you even play this game?  Kick rocks kid.

10 hours ago, CazzT said:

Sails use snap points, not radius.

They use both, easiest to see on brigs and galleon

Yes lets use snap points.  How about snap  just like ship of the damned since that is cannons are used for.  Let me check...oh wait they got cannons on all sides of the top deck just like OP is saying is a dumb idea.  How about we first restrict our AI opponent to broadside gun ports before putting that change on our ships.