Sign in to follow this  
Jean Lafitte

Think I'm done here for now.

Since day 1 my client has crashed repeatedly. The game locks up and freezes.  It takes task manager to kill the game and restart it.  Unfortunately there is no crash dump file so reporting it does nothing and the dev's seem to be focused on the server code and not the client code.  This lockup will occur 3-4 times per gaming session at random times. As a result, I can't be trusted to sail ships as it's likely I'll crash while doing so.  We've lost one schooner this way.  I can't be trusted with decent tames. I've also lost one nice bear this way.

Since I can't be trusted to successfully sail a ship or ride a tame, two of the biggest factors in this game, then I certainly can't be trusted in more intense situations either.  This effectively makes me useless for doing end-game content and it right pisses me off because the crashes occur at the most inopportune moments. The two recent losses as a result of crashing has essentially removed my will to play this game.  Losing ships to a fight, I'm fine with.  Losing tames as a result of my own stupidity, I'm fine with.  Losing things I've worked for because of an unstable client, I'm not fine with.  But hey, this is EA right? I should expect to lose everything without notice, right?  Perhaps.  But I should also expect to see patch notes that say they are fixing client stability.  I should expect a bug report system where when I report this issue it's not cycled to the last on the page so that it doesn't get 'upvoted' and therefore gets ignored as unimportant.

I guess everyone who's left Atlas has had that 'game breaking' moment where something convinced them that it's not worth it to hang around.  This is mine.

Whether it's coincidental or not, it seems most of my 'crew' are playing a lot less as well. 

I have therefore decided to enter maintenance mode. A large number of the claims we have I'm going to give to crew members as they leave the company and find others that are more stable to play with. Many are deciding to just quit. Claims on one particular island where I got started, I'm going to log in periodically to maintain.  Those not wanted by company members, I'm going to either give away or let decay on their own.

This also means that I'm going to give a lot less of a shit about these forums. There's no point in debating the finer points of a game that I essentially cannot play.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Edited by Jean Lafitte
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I don't know if this will help you but, I play about 25% of each day or more (a lot). I never crash. I do have an upper end gaming PC. 

I'd be interested in knowing what % of players have repeated crashes and what their rig specs are. 

What video card? How much ram? Are your driver up to date? Background apps?

23 minutes ago, Buck Rider said:

I don't know if this will help you but, I play about 25% of each day or more (a lot). I never crash. I do have an upper end gaming PC. 

I'd be interested in knowing what % of players have repeated crashes and what their rig specs are. 

This

47 minutes ago, Buck Rider said:

Haha. Don’t mind me, I had a lot of crashes until last month. You’d be surprised what it was. My rig;

i7-8700K, 2080 Ti, 16 GB DD4 3600 Mhz RAM and 4TB SSD M2. 

I was trying so hard to find what it was, constantly I was getting an error that my VRAM was too low. Guess what it was 😄 

Discord. Discord crashed my game repeatedly over the last few months. So now I have discord through my laptop and don’t on my PC and I have never crashed since. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Percieval said:

Haha. Don’t mind me, I had a lot of crashes until last month. You’d be surprised what it was. My rig;

I was trying so hard to find what it was, constantly I was getting an error that my VRAM was too low. Guess what it was 😄 

Discord. Discord crashed my game repeatedly over the last few months. So now I have discord through my laptop and don’t on my PC and I have never crashed since. 

Yeah for sure this issue has been a plague for me as well. Fatal errors left and right. Ive noticed spikes of up to 8gb ram being used by just this game alone. 

Ive never thought about discord being the issue. 

EVGA x79 dark, i7 4820k, 256gb ssd, 32gb ram Corsair vengeance pro, MSI 1060 6gb gfx, custom waterloop. 

• Like 1

Ive gotten dc plenty of times. Never once a crash. I would hate to say its on your end jean, but I think its on your end.

Have your mates had the same issue? Or is this lack of trust with things oy apply to you?

Full disclosure, i have an average rig with subpar isp, prolly why i dc to begin with.

2 hours ago, Percieval said:

Beast of a machine you got there, but I'd throw in another 8-16gb of ram, if possible.

One thing I noticed is that the game is super-ram hungry. It runs fine on my box with an 8 yr old i7-2700k, 24gb of ram, and geforce 980, but, on the newer machine with an i7-7700k, 16gb of ram and a geforce 970 it would hang and auto-crash after about 10 minutes,  if I had been doing anything else on that machine besides boot straight up and play atlas. Grabbed another pair of 4gb sticks and bumped it up to 24gb, haven't had a crash on it since.

My group went on 4 day fishing trip, we realised it's not worth the effort at this time to keep playing as we love lawless but 4 days isn't enough. Not here to fight for land but to enjoy the game. Mexico trip soon and that's a week long....When we found it harder to log in and keep our land than actually play the game , we new it was time to leave. Back at some point to check it out in a few months.....maybe

5 hours ago, Jean Lafitte said:

Since day 1 my client has crashed repeatedly. The game locks up and freezes.  It takes task manager to kill the game and restart it.  Unfortunately there is no crash dump file so reporting it does nothing and the dev's seem to be focused on the server code and not the client code.  This lockup will occur 3-4 times per gaming session at random times. As a result, I can't be trusted to sail ships as it's likely I'll crash while doing so.  We've lost one schooner this way.  I can't be trusted with decent tames. I've also lost one nice bear this way.

Since I can't be trusted to successfully sail a ship or ride a tame, two of the biggest factors in this game, then I certainly can't be trusted in more intense situations either.  This effectively makes me useless for doing end-game content and it right pisses me off because the crashes occur at the most inopportune moments. The two recent losses as a result of crashing has essentially removed my will to play this game.  Losing ships to a fight, I'm fine with.  Losing tames as a result of my own stupidity, I'm fine with.  Losing things I've worked for because of an unstable client, I'm not fine with.  But hey, this is EA right? I should expect to lose everything without notice, right?  Perhaps.  But I should also expect to see patch notes that say they are fixing client stability.  I should expect a bug report system where when I report this issue it's not cycled to the last on the page so that it doesn't get 'upvoted' and therefore gets ignored as unimportant.

I guess everyone who's left Atlas has had that 'game breaking' moment where something convinced them that it's not worth it to hang around.  This is mine.

Whether it's coincidental or not, it seems most of my 'crew' are playing a lot less as well. 

I have therefore decided to enter maintenance mode. A large number of the claims we have I'm going to give to crew members as they leave the company and find others that are more stable to play with. Many are deciding to just quit. Claims on one particular island where I got started, I'm going to log in periodically to maintain.  Those not wanted by company members, I'm going to either give away or let decay on their own.

This also means that I'm going to give a lot less of a shit about these forums. There's no point in debating the finer points of a game that I essentially cannot play.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

As am I, I'm at the point now where i've reached the end, done most of the things the game has to offer and it's getting repetitive for me. I'm surprised i've lasted this long to be honest, thousands have left in droves but I stuck it out and now I have reached that point.

There is no new content in the game, it is getting pushed further and further back and I can't play anymore as it is, having over 500hrs in game I just can't take it anymore.

I've also had crashes but my crashes were "shooter game error" one while I was sailing at sea in a schooner and bam, crashed. Frantically trying to log back in while it sails on the water only to find myself up against SOTD. There went my schooner but i've did all the things I wanted to do in the game and it's time to say goodbye also.

I hope the game progresses, my own opinion is it won't but I would love to be proved wrong. I don't think they have the right team for this game to take it where it should be. It was nice playing Atlas but another game awaits.

Well, it seems that something is wrong with your PC. I mean, 0 crashes for me (I have AMD x6 3.5 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, Graphic Card Radeon R7 370 4 Gb and a normal HDD), just the typical "can't connect with the server" sometimes, but i don't know, maybe you're forcing your PC with the game settings, I play with all in Medium and my pc doesn't crash.

I have been getting more issues over these last few patches. More graphic issues ( land that is not even there). Interesting that Discord could be causing this game crashes. Might have to do some testing myself on that.

As for game play, my company members have been playing a lot less as well. We have done it all and the repetitiveness is just becoming all to much. We all have well over 500 hours under our belts. I myself am trying to hold out for the next big patch but alas I am not sure I can. It has come down to logging in to feed my babies, feed the crew and that's about it, until the weekend and I am farming my ass off for the upcoming week, do some maps and maybe build some on our little city.

I still love the game but it is just coming to a point boredom is outweighing the fun.

My rig: i7-7700k   GeForce GTX 1080  16GB  4TB SSD

47 minutes ago, JotaCe said:

Well, it seems that something is wrong with your PC. I mean, 0 crashes for me (I have AMD x6 3.5 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, Graphic Card Radeon R7 370 4 Gb and a normal HDD), just the typical "can't connect with the server" sometimes, but i don't know, maybe you're forcing your PC with the game settings, I play with all in Medium and my pc doesn't crash.

I was waiting for this.  There's always someone who's going to say, "Well, since I have no problems it must be your computer."  Meanwhile I play a lot of other games and none of them crash to the point that they lock up and freeze. And just for comparison... AMD x8 @4.0ghz, 32gb ram, RX 580 4Gb, Kingston SSD. So it's not like I'm playing on a potato and I've tried every setting.

3 hours ago, Percieval said:

Come to think of it, the freezing up became noticeably worse after inviting others to join me and using discord. 

Either way, like others who have posted on this thread, there's not much left to do.  650ish hours into the game, still haven't done power stones or anything high level and tbqh, I have no real desire to do any of that anyway.  I was hoping that, with the comparisons to EVE  that there would be a lot of trading going on in this game.  I obviously misunderstood.  Pitching shit on the ground is not a trading system to me.  And what's the point of trading when you don't have to go that far to farm unique items?  And the only point of unique items would be for high level gear, which I've never found useful as a tamer because my problem isn't damaging animals I'm trying to tame, it's not doing so much damage that I end up killing them.  That or I could build more ships which cause more lag and still have no real reason to sail any of them any way.

No... I'm going to go back to a game I've had for years that is coming out of EA this week.

37 minutes ago, Jean Lafitte said:

No... I'm going to go back to a game I've had for years that is coming out of EA this week

May I ask what game?

don't worry, they'll fix it eventually. I got faith.  im, in the same boat too. i'm not playing regularly again until the content drop or a wipe. if they were smart, they'd wipe the same day as the next content drop. many would come back. 

1 hour ago, Jean Lafitte said:

I was waiting for this.  There's always someone who's going to say, "Well, since I have no problems it must be your computer."  Meanwhile I play a lot of other games and none of them crash to the point that they lock up and freeze. And just for comparison... AMD x8 @4.0ghz, 32gb ram, RX 580 4Gb, Kingston SSD. So it's not like I'm playing on a potato and I've tried every setting.

Thats the point, isn't about the system requirements or the game itself, MINE is far worse than yours, and ZERO crashes. But, it's OK, see you 😉

Edited by JotaCe

@Jean Lafitte We share the exact same issues it would seem.

It is the same reason I haven't been actively playing for 2-3 weeks. I have decided to relinquish ownership of my very small but active company to one of the competent high ranking members who still plays daily. It's not fun playing the game as a liability. A game crash while steering a ship make group members unable to even take the wheel until my character falls asleep or is killed. Lost 5 ships because of this and stopped counting the amount of tames lost. Days or weeks worth of progress lost in a few seconds is usually fine under normal in-game circumstances but this is just plain demoralizing, especially for small company and solo players who work their asses off to achieve something. Coupled with all the other issues like PvE griefing (i don't even know if this has been fixed yet since the patch that was suppose to fix it didn't) and the swarms of block-lettered names running around and littering entire islands with foundations, this is the first time in my 300+ hours played where I can't think of anything more appropriate than "fuck this shit, I'm out".

Some possible solutions I've found and tried (of which none worked): Lowering graphics settings; low-memory mode, reinstalling game, verifying game files, updating graphics drivers, rolling back graphics drivers, overclocking, downclocking, locking/limiting fps, running as administrator, closing all background apps.

Strangely enough, this issue seems more common on "higher" tier rigs. Some people have been having this crashing issue for years in Ark and is still to this day. Yes, desperation has made me visit those forums as well since Ark and Atlas are essentially two apples from the same tree.

I'll keep an eye on the game and maybe try it again in a few months or a year. Apart from all this crap it is actually a fun game and it clearly has a lot of potential. Hopefully by that time things will be better. Alternatively, history will repeat itself and I might just raft around for 6 hours (in 10-20min crash intervals), basking in the glow of my 7 corpses while trying to find a piece of desolate soil that hasn't been plagued by foundation spammers, flags or demon possessed alphas - Just like all the other naked homeless people that decides to join the game right now. Only time will tell.

Specs for those interested: i7-8700K, 1080 Ti, 16GB RAM, SSD M2

• Like 1

Wow, you guys bitching about nothing left to do, just wow.

1) Its in development, it has 20 more months to release

2) There are TONS of private servers that are radically different than the official gam

3) Try a RP server, just a HUGE blast when its not all about the pew pew pew

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Notorious said:

My group went on 4 day fishing trip, we realised it's not worth the effort at this time to keep playing as we love lawless but 4 days isn't enough. Not here to fight for land but to enjoy the game. Mexico trip soon and that's a week long....When we found it harder to log in and keep our land than actually play the game , we new it was time to leave. Back at some point to check it out in a few months.....maybe

Damn, so they trashed your place while you went on your trip?  I was an hour late heading back to my backup lawless shack, where it was just a small 2x3 shack and all the crafting stations out in the open and unlocked for people to use, with signs for Bring Your Own Mats Crafting Stationgs...still got thrashed instantly. If you guys need land, I can spare a claim for you. About a half claim wide beach in tropical, with a cliff face and shallows, extending into water deep enough to drop shipyards. Nothing huge, not much resources on it, but metal, trees, fiber and stone within walking distance.

Edited by MeatSammich
  • Thanks 1

Discord is a massive issue especially when you have a lot of people. It was fine when I was in a smaller group but when we merged into a mega and started using their discord we all had a lot more crashes. This game plays really well on my OMEN gaming laptop but goes to aids on my freshly wiped MSI which I consider to be strange (because I bought the OMEN as a meme while I was overseas and forgot my MSI). I have all the same drivers and both are 16gb ram with same gtx 1070,  8th gen i7. All steam games are on ssds and discord is the only other program I am running while playing atlas. 

I never really thought about it before but the second I joined a mega my game went to shit. I wonder if it’s discord or too many entities. I will test this. 

I do hope they manage to bring the player base back. I felt kinda sorry for the smaller groups we were raiding when I joined the mega. We didn’t need the mats or the land or anything from them. It was completely random and we just offlined and stone aged smaller groups. I regret this now because I may have been a part of the problem with this game for most of the player base that left. 

I have posted a number of ideas in other threads recently on how we can split megas and smaller groups up fairly as well as include pve players on the main servers (feeding taxes,ships and equipment from Pve sectors surrounding mega company controlled free ports) 

being a mega company on an empty map over the last few weeks has kinda killed the fun of this game. I hope the devs implement something that will bring everyone back( big and small and even solo companies) 

24 minutes ago, archaegeo said:

2) There are TONS of private servers that are radically different than the official gam

I’d say your intro line could be re thought to sound less agressive. But the points are all good ones. I have some mates playing on darksideRP and they say it’s been a lot of fun. I think the Devs put a lot of Rp stuff in the game ( neutral claims, the alliance system, taxing and tax banks, farming, cows, chickens, the incoming NPC run player market vendors, notes, even gold to a degree) but on official we just concentrated too much on pvp ( in the pure sense of destroying other peoples stuff for the sake of it) 

i regret that we mis intemperate the devs’ and chased away a lot of the player base with our behaviour. If people wanna play COD or rust then all the power to them, but I don’t think this game will live long if we keep being toxic arseholes to each other in game.

good post my dude.

Edited by Polar Express

25 minutes ago, archaegeo said:

Just wait.  When you're pacing up and down the gunwales of your galleon trying to think of what to do... remember this post.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gfrannic said:

I am guessing it's space engineers.

Wait, that's still being worked on?  I thought it was left in EA limbo permanently.