Sign in to follow this  
awakatanka

Why bother with taming

Why bother taming, losing the tames because glitching cobra's. Build the pen high and low. I have seen a cobra teleporting on my pen that was 2 foundations and 3 walls high. When it somehow agro my passive bear. Could save that one but could not save my elephant and rhino because a alpha cobra glitched also on that same pen a day before when i was sleeping. I gave up on a land base pen and switched to ship. Store them on ship, the are save from cobra now but now they disseaper in thin air sometimes when you move them to the ship. Swimming under the ship till i hit ground no tame, going to the middle of the map because when i die offline i seem to be in the middle of the map. No tame. Looking in the sky no tame. Doing a beam me up scotty to other grids no tame. Logging off and in no tame. 

Waist of skill points for now.. 

1 minute ago, awakatanka said:

Why bother taming, losing the tames because glitching cobra's. Build the pen high and low. I have seen a cobra teleporting on my pen that was 2 foundations and 3 walls high. When it somehow agro my passive bear. Could save that one but could not save my elephant and rhino because a alpha cobra glitched also on that same pen a day before when i was sleeping. I gave up on a land base pen and switched to ship. Store them on ship, the are save from cobra now but now they disseaper in thin air sometimes when you move them to the ship. Swimming under the ship till i hit ground no tame, going to the middle of the map because when i die offline i seem to be in the middle of the map. No tame. Looking in the sky no tame. Doing a beam me up scotty to other grids no tame. Logging off and in no tame. 

Waist of skill points for now.. 

Get Lions/Tigers and set them on agressiv. 

I have 1 Tiger and 1 Lion to protect our tames.

• Like 2

since day 3 of release I have an elephant standing on top of a "small gate" high complex. not a single animal has ever touched him ever. 

additionally. tames are the biggest time saver you can get, so even if you lose a couple taming them again is worth the time.

if you do not like bugs and stuff you might want to wait until the game is out of EA (so never) 

Tames are important resource gathering tools and essential for offense and defense, point blank. Back when I still played, an update made it so snakes and other assorted pests no longer got blocked from spawning for one reason or another and started spawning in buildings and such. What I ended up having to do was make a barn on stilts (pillars) to store my beasts. Worked well even though in the beginning, it was a pain in the ass and i lost some tames. 

Edited by Enki Anunnaki

1 hour ago, Puppies4ever said:

Get Lions/Tigers and set them on agressiv. 

I have 1 Tiger and 1 Lion to protect our tames.

I moved mine to a four story high building. That works good but for the falling through the floor about twice a week. 

I set bears on aggressive like you say but they have ended up outside somehow. I think they aggro and glitch through the walls going after the threat.

Ships can be tricky too. I sometimes find them stuck half way through a deck or plank. I had one start to fly away but I was able to whistle it back to the deck.

Next I was thinking of trying a big ground pin with 6 bears on aggressive. I did an aggressive test with a group of pigs outside. It was a real show. They went nonstop killing everything within a 100 yards. Until they jumped something too big and all got wiped out.

I'd like to see a setting of aggressive but only to aggressive mobs. So they are not chasing birds and all.

I have no problem when I lose them when I doing some stupid thing when gathering.  On the high pen Mostly they where save. But how can a cobra aggro something they can not see? I just parked my bear. Walked to another building doing some stuff. After few minutes I want to walk back I see damage numbers. See the cobra hitting my stone wall. Run to my pen taking my stairs and going to a door. See my bear when I walked through door and suddenly out of the sky the cobra falls in pen. And attacking bear. Luckily I was in and could mount it to kill it. The cobra is the allosauris, they where also buggy as hell in ark.

And transfer to ship.... Why have that option... Bugged. 

EA I get it but I'm just posting my frustrations and hope it will be solved. If nobody can post there frustrations then it will never be solved.

I will tame another one but it sucks if you have to do that to often because this. 

29 minutes ago, Buck Rider said:

I moved mine to a four story high building. That works good but for the falling through the floor about twice a week. 

I set bears on aggressive like you say but they have ended up outside somehow. I think they aggro and glitch through the walls going after the threat.

Ships can be tricky too. I sometimes find them stuck half way through a deck or plank. I had one start to fly away but I was able to whistle it back to the deck.

Next I was thinking of trying a big ground pin with 6 bears on aggressive. I did an aggressive test with a group of pigs outside. It was a real show. They went nonstop killing everything within a 100 yards. Until they jumped something too big and all got wiped out.

I'd like to see a setting of aggressive but only to aggressive mobs. So they are not chasing birds and all.

Around your pen build another wall with 1 foundation space. In this area Tiger/Lion can walk around.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Puppies4ever said:

Around your pen build another wall with 1 foundation space. In this area Tiger/Lion can walk around.

I see other post's where people say that they die because they attack wall because the aggro sticks his head through and tiger/lion can not hit it and die because of running out of stamina....

Build a big pen and store all animals there and set them on neutral, Mate boosted bears can kill any alpha predator easily and other animals will be there to kill it as well. Why do you keep animals on passive is the big question.

19 minutes ago, Vegetto said:

Build a big pen and store all animals there and set them on neutral, Mate boosted bears can kill any alpha predator easily and other animals will be there to kill it as well. Why do you keep animals on passive is the big question.

So the "neutral" setting allows them to attack attackers? But not everything?

I have made many posts on cobra being broken, last one was yesterday when I lost BP and mat in loom and tannery that were behind stone walls...

These things should be removed while being fixed

I have a closed pen in a cobra infested area, till now my tames only died to chinese cheaters but not to the island wildlife.

1 hour ago, Buck Rider said:

If animal attacks any of your tames all which are in range will attack that animal

1 hour ago, phelysarrian said:

I have made many posts on cobra being broken, last one was yesterday when I lost BP and mat in loom and tannery that were behind stone walls...

These things should be removed while being fixed

Yes these cobra are some MF'er. But I have been seeing less of them lately. 

I have stood out of range and watched as one endlessly attacked an empty building of mine. I have no idea why. I could see the floating text numbers follow each strike. After about 10 minutes of watching, I killed it just to save my building.

I've also watched them strike endlessly at a building with tames inside but out of its reach.

I pretty much gave up trying to build anything to keep my tames safe, the game is just too damn glitchy. So I just tamed a big old group of spares and let them run loose. They protect each other pretty well. I still lose tames to alphas and other assorted bs but for the most part it works better than anything else I've tried. 

3 hours ago, Buck Rider said:

That works good but for the falling through the floor about twice a week. 

Yes, falling through structures is a "known issue" and has been the bane of ARK for years and naturally, an inherited problem for Atlas. While a player is not within rendered distance to structures, they actually are not there, they are in fact, just a reference within memory that they are there... Whenever a player comes into a structure's render distance that structure will load and this can cause issues for tames and NPC wildlife as they may fall through the loading structure as it transitions into a tangible object. This, unfortunately, may also allow NPC's to walk through the structured walls as well.

Edited by vaylain

I lost many tamings to glitches and one wild level 17 parrot while im offline slepping on my galleon.

i think redoing the collision detection using spheres for NPC animals people will solve the problem.

transfering animals to the ship been a real endurance test lately, they stuck outside at the ship, sometimes

i spend 15 min to bring 5 animals from the beach to the ship .. very annoying.

transferbug.jpg

36 minutes ago, Ged Bootstrap said:

I lost many tamings to glitches and one wild level 17 parrot while im offline slepping on my galleon.

i think redoing the collision detection using spheres for NPC animals people will solve the problem.

transfering animals to the ship been a real endurance test lately, they stuck outside at the ship, sometimes

i spend 15 min to bring 5 animals from the beach to the ship .. very annoying.

transferbug.jpg

I put rope ladders on the front sides and back sides of my galleon and set my tames to follow and climb aboard the ship, and I rarely end up with a mess like this. Not that this shouldn't be fixed. Anyway, give that a shot, provided you haven't got any weird structures built  in those areas. I also find them more convenient than having to swim to the back all the time. 

i have rope ladders at the mid and front, if i set 5 animals to follow and try to climb the ladders ive been kicked from the ladder 3 out of 5 times

and if i reach the deck i got stuck between 5 animals ontop of me, thats worse than transfer them onto the ship.

I have ladder in front side and back. But they still get stuck in ship. Transfer is working better because it will stand on the side of ship. But transfer is bugged and more of a lottery you do not want to win. They just need to spawn on one our 2 points if the ship and not where you climb the ladder  same with transfer and not where you swim/stand. I need sometimes 2 ships to unstuck them.......

Edited by awakatanka

1 hour ago, Ged Bootstrap said:

i have rope ladders at the mid and front, if i set 5 animals to follow and try to climb the ladders ive been kicked from the ladder 3 out of 5 times

and if i reach the deck i got stuck between 5 animals ontop of me, thats worse than transfer them onto the ship.

I see. Well, I only move one animal at a time, I wouldn't do 5 at once. But if you get stuck with an animal you can't ride on top of you look at some point away from you on the deck and do the comma whistle and they'll move off of you. Same goes if you're hiring crew at a Freeport and they dog pile on you. 

1 hour ago, Ged Bootstrap said:

Don't put them on follow as you climb the ladder. Ride our lead (on follow) to get the tame next to the ship. Take off follow, climb the ladder. From the ship deck, whistle follow (T) and move to where you want the tame to go. It will pop up over the side and stop in front of you (how close depends on the follow distance). 

Been using this technique about a month, so far, not lost a single tame to it and if you stand in the right place, none will get stuck. I have not tried it on a galleon, but should work fine there too.

5 hours ago, Buck Rider said:

A lot of us have played ARK and I think we forget that not everyone knows how these settings work.

Ya, don't use aggressive or passive, neutral is best. This allows your tames to defend themselves.

Also what type of enclosure you use can make a big difference. There are a few options here, but like others say, having a few good tames that are mate boosted and can kill almost anything and are on neutral is your best defense. I like to make sure that the outer walls of my tame enclosure are not someplace a wild aggressive creature can reach. That means they are either at least two walls up or there is another wall farther out keeping them away.