Daemon Cross

What will it take ?

Whilst the majority of our resources are directed towards prioritising fixing exploits etc we certainly do take action against griefing and exploiting and this doesn't only occur on our PvP network. Numerous players on our PvE network have been banned and devwipes of entire Companies for extreme cases are not uncommon. 

In regards to the claiming issues, we're pretty confident our rework is a better system and everyone will have the opportunity to give feedback on that once it goes live on our Public Test Realm.

In relation to our Discord, it's true that we're often interacting more frequently over there; that type of "live" environment lends itself to a natural back and forth in communication that I personally prefer. Jat and I are stepping up our activity here on the forums though 🙂  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Most of us know that you all are listening to the gripes of all of us, we see it in the patch notes and captain’s log updates. 

Most of us really appreciate all that you do and are doing and understand that nothing happens with the snap of your fingers but we know you look into and give thought about all the choices you have to make to try and accommodate so many different player types.

I want you to know it’s appreciated 

• Like 3

The only difference between here and discord is that discord is more of a live stream of conversations as to where the forums are more like a “ Let’s read this topic and see what people have to say” at least that’s how I look at it. Discord chat moves constantly and trying to stay  on topic of any given thing is a waste of effort which at times people get off topic in the forums too

Edited by Daemon Cross

8 hours ago, CazzT said:

Having been a moderator on an unofficial server for another (similar) game, I can say with certainty that it doesn't take days, especially not weeks, to determine if someone cheating and/or griefing.  This is something I've never been able to accept about game companies that have multiplayer games.  "We have to investigate the issue" is acceptable.  The majority of investigations taking days/weeks is not.  Some outlier cases, sure, but far too often it's the norm.  If it takes your company more than a day, two tops, to investigate a case of griefing, you've got problems with the process/tools you're using.

What was the player/moderator ratio in that unofficial server you played and did you have the same demands on proof, code of conduct, rules etc? In unofficial you can ban someone for not liking them if you like but when you got people who paid for the game you might need more to proceed with a ban. I do however hope that they will start focusing more on GM stuff, because it is far from great at the moment.

On 2/25/2019 at 8:21 PM, DannyUK said:

Well for me I'm already starting to get bored, I'm hitting that brick wall where I've done most things and its getting repetitive.

I feel there isn't enough content in the game right now. You can build, you can do maps but they're all basically the same thing.

There needs to be more content like cosmetics, get a player market up and running but there's nothing like that

I certainly don't get the same enjoyment like i did a few weeks ago, I'm slowly getting bored. I get why people have left the game, i really do.

We can prevent ourselves from getting bored by requesting new game content that uses existing game mechanics. See Colonial Imperialists.

• Like 1

Well now I know the real answer to this question.

Wipe and no claim flags on PvE after march update.

Had a real blast with this game and I certainly got my monies worth from it and will think back fondly of my time here (well except the griefing).

Bon voyage Atlas.

yeah I probably wont be far behind you, I think that's the straw that will break my back.. 470 some hours in the game as a solo player and worked my ass off building my ships and base and gathering my tames just to lose it all and I get a cosmetic item for my time..    Now with the new system there's no claim flags, if I start building a base and someone likes my spot all they have to do is start building right beside me and limit me to what I can build,  anyone wanting to cause someone grief will build pillars in the water or whatever they want to do to keep you from building your ships and such.    Yeah.. I  just don't see myself wasting my time much more and even if i did continue to play what is to say that this system is broke to and they wipe the server again.  Hey lets just reset the server once a week and that way it will be like a new game and no one will ever actually get to let their imaginations run wild.

I knew it was coming, its inevitable and it will happen again.

Anyone telling you "it won't happen with this MMO"  is just kidding themselves. Its a major change it needs to happen unfortunately.

I'm not sure how its going to work now though, i have the feeling it will be more spamming of foundations.

If you jump back in the game prepare yourself because this won't be last wipe and you'll lose everything again, that's just how it goes.

I don't think I have it in me to keep losing everything over and over. I started tearing my base down and thought about scuttling  my ships earlier because I don't see a point any longer in trying to be part of the game.  I can play other games that are more stable and build a legacy in them vs one that's going to constantly tear my legacy apart and all the work I've done was wasted.

1 hour ago, Daemon Cross said:

I don't think I have it in me to keep losing everything over and over. I started tearing my base down and thought about scuttling  my ships earlier because I don't see a point any longer in trying to be part of the game.  I can play other games that are more stable and build a legacy in them vs one that's going to constantly tear my legacy apart and all the work I've done was wasted.

What are some of those other games you spoke of building legacies in/on?

4 hours ago, Daemon Cross said:

They may make it easier for the first few weeks by having x10 XP resources etc.

It won't take you long to level up, you'll know everything in game which makes it easier.

As for your structures, yes you'll have to build over again but they are adding 2 new islands per grid, it might bring previous players back, we'll see.

Players that have left, left most because of claim flags and getting no land, now that's gone they have nothing to lose in trying again.

The only concern for me is foundation spamming, not sure what they will do about this.

On 2/26/2019 at 7:46 AM, Daemon Cross said:

Hey I’ve noticed that topics aren’t popping up all the time and looking at steamcharts.com for atlas I can see why, the player base has dropped by more then half. Now I’m seeing threads about server wipes, upkeep on claim flags and general post about known bugs.  So I am wondering what will be the last straw for everyone else ? 

We’ve all dealt with the claim issue, the tames being lost, ships being sunk, exploits being used, server lag and everything else that comes along with early access games but we’ve held strong and kept playing the game.  So with the latest news of a possible server wipe and complete restart I’m not sure if I want to go through all of it again especially if there is another chance of another server wipe.

I mean with the player base dropping by over half and the claim timers expiring within a day or two, finding land shouldn’t be a problem but what if you do and the server wipe does happen and the whole process starts over.  I know companies who were 500 strong are now half that if not less, small companies have strived it seems along with the solo players such as myself but when I sail around the seas and see base after base full of ships it makes you wonder how many of the people who built all that are still playing?

Just trying to get some input from the rest of you, I know the thoughts on my mind are if a server wipe happens then I want temperate, tundra or tropic area for a new start but then I think about the people who don’t work and will have first dibs on what they want and everyone else will be back looking for land again.  I mean seriously for those of us who’ve dealt with the game issues this far, losing everything and starting over isn’t really working and for anyone who says it is then by all means, meet me in game and transfer everything to me and see if you really want to start over with nothing.  I know I don’t, and those they say it won’t be a bad thing then you haven’t had to deal with starting over and having nothing again or you’ve never had nothing to begin with. If I’m wrong then prove it

Sunk cost is what keeps most gamers playing through the tough times, they have sunk so much time and effort into their base, character and tames that to quit seems like a waste of time. When they wipe the bases, kill the tames and delete the characters that effectively severs the sunk cost tether to the game and a lot of people will just not feel the drive to come back afterwards and those that do will have their sunk cost reduced to a week and so it will be much easier to move on to another game.

With the removal of the land claims it reduces the reason to join a company at all in pve to anything other than social and continues to hold the negatives such as not owning your own boats/tames/bases to the point that I'm pretty sure I will start my own company and just ally with my old group just in case, because frankly there is no real benefit to being in that situation. No one is needed to protect claims because there are none.

The tundra areas will be barren wastelands devoid of people because why live there when I can build my base in the lovely warm tropics, sure I have to share it with 2 other people but hey with the population on the servers being what it is chances are you will never see that other person anyway.

10 minutes ago, DannyUK said:

They may make it easier for the first few weeks by having x10 XP resources etc.

It won't take you long to level up, you'll know everything in game which makes it easier.

As for your structures, yes you'll have to build over again but they are adding 2 new islands per grid, it might bring previous players back, we'll see.

Players that have left, left most because of claim flags and getting no land, now that's gone they have nothing to lose in trying again.

The only concern for me is foundation spamming, not sure what they will do about this.

Based on their track record of finding the worst possible answer to everything, their answer to foundation spamming will be to A: increase the no-build radius to larger than existing claims, also increasing the resource blocking to about the same range, while doing nothing about foundations that griefers have already layed down as close as possible to your buildings and every resource spot on the map (then instituing a fix that deletes every foundation in the game and requires a rollback, then never mentioning it again) While also B: increasing the cost to for each foundation to double what it was before and also requires a dragon scale from a drake (which drops 3 upon killing it) for every foundation, including thatch.

Some are of you are really hopeful and keep saying over and over that they will make it easier the first few weeks back to rebuild everything, I want you to think about something, they added 2x almost every weekend since launch and people took advantage of it building massive cities and forts in order to enjoy the claims they were able to acquire. Now there is nothing to stop an island from looking like a housing development. If you like living in that scenario as to where you have nothing but a room with a view of another house then that’s great. I personally owned two claims and built a nice home, taming pen, barn and a nice dock using 4 shipyards as a foundation. I had one of each ship and I hired crew to man the sails and maintain repairs. Acquired tames to help with treasure maps and I was comfortable living on just 2 claims. If you looked at a claim flag of mine it said I had 4 claims. Two were on land to build on, two were in the water to keep someone from building pillars underneath my ships and one was out in front of those 4 in the sea to allow me access to build the large docking area that I had imagined.

There is nothing in the new patch that allows me to do that again, there is nothing that keeps everyone from building in the tropics on any open space they can find, nothing to say hey you may have obtained the land but I’m gonna build here in the water so you can’t have a shipyard and you’ll get mad and leave the area or quit the game. You won’t be able to run to the devs crying about being blocked in because there is nothing that says someone can’t, they stated in the live stream they hoped everyone would be able to work together and get along.  Yeah that has went really well so far in the game.

All they had to do was limit the amount of claims a person could own per account, they could have still made the maps larger and added more islands, if someone wanted to move but was out of claim flags then that person would have had to unclaim an area in order to claim something else. When an area was unclaimed there would have been a 24 hour window until everything was decayed, that window allowed another player to take the claim and take over where the previous owner left off.

• Like 3

We don't know for sure how the decay is going to work, they say you have to put something down to auto repair? And I remember them saying on stream this will be in a certain radius of the base. I would assume you will get some room and people will not be able to build on top of you, I could be wrong nobody knows yet. They haven't tested it out, people need to give it a chance.

I will help anyone out on the island I'm on, i've always been like that, I just hope I live next to nice people. Things even might change with people not happy with it but I very much doubt it will change now after the work that has probably gone in to it, if it did change it will be another month or 2 down the line.

People are so used to living in their own bubbles with hoarded flags, now they have to come out and live with the rest of us. Some people should thank themselves lucky they had any flags at all because the majority of us on lawless didn't have that. We just don't have the time to spend hours sailing over grids, running around 1 island finding nothing and 6hrs later still nothing, my time wasted. They may change it to 1 flag per person down the line but I will see how these changes turn out.

I always knew there was going to be a wipe of the servers, it was inevitable, I would certainly prepare yourselves for another in the future because there will be several as the system changes.

On 2/25/2019 at 4:45 PM, Daemon Cross said:

The thing for me is that I haven’t ever played a game that didn’t require patches so in sense they have all been early access and the players have pointed out the issues and most were fixed while the players continued to play. I’ve never had to deal with a server wipe and I really enjoy the game as a solo player. Unlike DannyUK I’ve not got to experience much of the game, I’ve managed to do the FOY once before the last patch and dealt with all the flaws of the game but I worked on my base, ships and tames while I waited for the other issues got resolved. A server wipe would really not fix anything if you ask me, your still going to fight with land claims, your still going to have abandoned ships and until the rest of the issues have been worked out then you still have those to contend with. The server wipe will only be a fresh start for everyone but after awhile you’ll have the same results. They can fix the issues in the game now just as they would if they would do a server wipe and fix them later. 

The server wipe will cost players who’ve been here from the beginning everything and give new players a chance at having land. I can’t see how that can be justified, they need to just fix the claim system by limiting claims per account and not by region. That gives new players the same opportunities and leaves existing players with what they have

this could be them trying to get fresh cash free up land claims people rush to buy game before all the land is gone

Danny if you lived on lawless it’s because you chose to, I started the game Jan. 2nd, I work as a welder, I have a wife and 4 kids. I started out in a Freeport like everyone else, I found claims in H5 and lost them because deleted my character and remade him, when I done that it messed the company I.D up and asking for help through support was a waste of time, so I continued searching and found more claims, I spent time building bases and taming pens and looking for more land, the vultures there finally drove me away and I loaded my ship up with food, weapons and good intentions then set sail. I found another area in F3 and setup there, went back to H5 loaded my other ship up and unclaimed everything I had there and set out for my new region. Once there I setup again and went looking for more claims, I found land and gave it to people who were having issues to find land themselves, these weren’t people I knew or had previously met in game, it was random people who posted in the forums and if you’ve read any of my post you’ll see that I had even acquired more and was getting ready to help out even more people.

The only ones who wanted this wipe were in my opinion people who were to lazy to look for land themselves, it had nothing to do with time but more so with patience, people who had land but wanted a area that someone else owns, that type of person is just envious of what someone else has. They either wanted the region with less hostile creatures or a better lay of land to build on and people who for some unknown reason to be just wanted to see everyone lose all the things they’ve built and created.

This type of game requires patience to build ships and bases, to find land and create a home away from home.  Now people who have played the game and helped figure out all the bugs and exploits the game had but continued to keep pushing forward and working with what they had just got a big slap in the face and a stamp across the forehead saying @@@@ you for all you’ve helped us figure out, for all the time you’ve invested in helping us find the things we thought would work but didn’t we are going to take everything from you, your name, your company, your tames, your ships, your homes and give you a @@@@@@ cosmetic item that has no real benefit but says you endured through the start and we @@@@@@ you!!!!  

Now if this was real world would you still be content with someone doing this to you, if you say no but this is a game, then you have no right to say anything about exploits or griefers or anything else that makes the game not fun because it after all is “Just a Game”

Danny I also think you are getting pvp and pve crossed up. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Daemon Cross said:

The only ones who wanted this wipe were in my opinion people who were to lazy to look for land themselves, it had nothing to do with time but more so with patience, people who had land but wanted a area that someone else owns, that type of person is just envious of what someone else has.

I had a whole (small) island with my company, wasn't looking for more lands to own because they were no interest to do so. In the other hand, I was for a wipe too, so no, I am not someone lazy to look for lands, nor wanted a area someone else owns. The wipe is necessary tho, as long as the maps will drastically change.

The only thing that saddens me is the deletion of claims in PvE (or even if claims still existed, the fact that this does not protect anymore from griefers building around your base or on ressource spots...)

If the devs keeps on their way about this, i'm not gonna play anymore.

1 hour ago, Daemon Cross said:

Danny if you lived on lawless it’s because you chose to, I started the game Jan. 2nd, I work as a welder, I have a wife and 4 kids. I started out in a Freeport like everyone else, I found claims in H5 and lost them because deleted my character and remade him, when I done that it messed the company I.D up and asking for help through support was a waste of time, so I continued searching and found more claims, I spent time building bases and taming pens and looking for more land, the vultures there finally drove me away and I loaded my ship up with food, weapons and good intentions then set sail. I found another area in F3 and setup there, went back to H5 loaded my other ship up and unclaimed everything I had there and set out for my new region. Once there I setup again and went looking for more claims, I found land and gave it to people who were having issues to find land themselves, these weren’t people I knew or had previously met in game, it was random people who posted in the forums and if you’ve read any of my post you’ll see that I had even acquired more and was getting ready to help out even more people.

The only ones who wanted this wipe were in my opinion people who were to lazy to look for land themselves, it had nothing to do with time but more so with patience, people who had land but wanted a area that someone else owns, that type of person is just envious of what someone else has. They either wanted the region with less hostile creatures or a better lay of land to build on and people who for some unknown reason to be just wanted to see everyone lose all the things they’ve built and created.

This type of game requires patience to build ships and bases, to find land and create a home away from home.  Now people who have played the game and helped figure out all the bugs and exploits the game had but continued to keep pushing forward and working with what they had just got a big slap in the face and a stamp across the forehead saying @@@@ you for all you’ve helped us figure out, for all the time you’ve invested in helping us find the things we thought would work but didn’t we are going to take everything from you, your name, your company, your tames, your ships, your homes and give you a @@@@@@ cosmetic item that has no real benefit but says you endured through the start and we @@@@@@ you!!!!  

Now if this was real world would you still be content with someone doing this to you, if you say no but this is a game, then you have no right to say anything about exploits or griefers or anything else that makes the game not fun because it after all is “Just a Game”

Danny I also think you are getting pvp and pve crossed up. 

Yes I also have other commitments in life which is why I don't have the time to sail around grids and look on every island waiting for timers to run down. I assume you got your flags early on in the game which is good, it was much easier back then. All you have now is people hoarding those flags with some saying "you can build here on my land" you build something and find a few days later it has vanished, it happened to me.

If you were giving out flags then you are a good person obviously, one of the genuine players, you don't get many like that. I have also helped people on my lawless island, giving thousands of fibre thatch and wood along with tames. I like helping people but I don't like it when you get turned over by people who have these flags and don't let you build on it, that's how I found it.

I wasn't to lazy to go out looking for land, I settled on lawless because there was no land. I can't sit and spend hours just sailing to each grid as I say it was much easier earlier in the game to do that and come across land but when I ventured out to other islands for resources there was none available and I certainly wasn't going to sail all the way across the map just to find nothing.

I'm a solo player, i've built 5 ships a base and go alot of gold sitting  in the chest which will be all gone, we're all losing everything. I can understand it's frustrating for people who have these flags.

I've always known there was going to be a server wipe whether they changed the claim system or something else, it was always coming and another will come eventually. I don't see how I have PVP and PVE mixed up, I view the claim flags as PVP related, people fighting over them and contesting. I don't want to be dealing with griefing over flags like that but that's just my opinion and I know everyone has their own.

There is nothing to say it won't change in a month or so down the line, this change is not set in stone just like everything else. If people try it and the majority say no then chances are it will change again.

I have an Island 60K gold and i think removing claims as they are now is the right thing, wipe is understandable claim game mechanics just didn't work for PVE.

The new way will depend how the repair box works with structures as to will it be possible to spam structures without them fast decaying

Well from the way the stats look towards players base you all will have no problem finding land now, you will not have to worry about sailing a few grids over to find resources or worry about finding areas to find tames, from the way it looks your going to be by yourselves. 

And as for Simple who stated “ I have an island and 60k of gold and I think the wipe is a good thing. It was never about the land and gold for some of us, it was about what we had done thus far only to lose it, you wouldn’t understand because it’s obvious you didn’t struggle like some of us have.

4 hours ago, Moetel said:

I had a whole (small) island with my company, wasn't looking for more lands to own because they were no interest to do so. In the other hand, I was for a wipe too, so no, I am not someone lazy to look for lands, nor wanted a area someone else owns. The wipe is necessary tho, as long as the maps will drastically change.

The only thing that saddens me is the deletion of claims in PvE (or even if claims still existed, the fact that this does not protect anymore from griefers building around your base or on ressource spots...)

If the devs keeps on their way about this, i'm not gonna play anymore.

How do you figure it was necessary to add more content, have you never played any other games? I mean seriously, guild wars added new content ever 6 months and never wiped, look how many expansions world of Warcraft added and they didn’t wipe each time, elder scrolls online kept adding content, they didn’t have to wipe. 

I call bullshit on anyone that says it was needed to add more content to the game, even if they changed the maps up there is no reason to wipe our characters and companies out as well. They could have simply taken the servers offline for a couple days while they implemented the new changes without having to delete everything we’ve created.  They already stated that unofficial wouldn’t be affected other than claim flags disappearing but would reinstate themselves with time. What makes the pve side of official any different?  Are they all not part of the same system and built on the same ideas ?

It’s not like they are two separate games

1 minute ago, Daemon Cross said:

How do you figure it was necessary to add more content, have you never played any other games? I mean seriously, guild wars added new content ever 6 months and never wiped, look how many expansions world of Warcraft added and they didn’t wipe each time, elder scrolls online kept adding content, they didn’t have to wipe. 

I call bullshit on anyone that says it was needed to add more content to the game, even if they changed the maps up there is no reason to wipe our characters and companies out as well. They could have simply taken the servers offline for a couple days while they implemented the new changes without having to delete everything we’ve created.  They already stated that unofficial wouldn’t be affected other than claim flags disappearing but would reinstate themselves with time. What makes the pve side of official any different?  Are they all not part of the same system and built on the same ideas ?

It’s not like they are two separate games

I played Guild Wars, it added new content and never wipe, I agree. But Guild Wars was not a sandbox where players can build on maps. Same for WoW. Same for Elder Scrolls Online. I played those game.

Use examples that have similarities when you're using examples.

5 hours ago, DannyUK said:

We don't know for sure how the decay is going to work, they say you have to put something down to auto repair? And I remember them saying on stream this will be in a certain radius of the base. I would assume you will get some room and people will not be able to build on top of you, I could be wrong nobody knows yet. They haven't tested it out, people need to give it a chance.

You don't get a "base" with this.  You get to place objects..wherever you can find a space for them.  If you want, you can place a huge wall with a roof all around your neighbor's house and crafting stations and lock the door.  If they increase the distance to keep people fro building on top of you, then that will just make the griefer's job easier taking all the land.  Instead of having to spam 50 foundations, they can just put 5 and own the whole island.

People are so used to living in their own bubbles with hoarded flags, now they have to come out and live with the rest of us. Some people should thank themselves lucky they had any flags at all because the majority of us on lawless didn't have that. 

It was terrible when people hoarded flags.  At least they had to go visit the place every so often to reset the timers.  Now they get a box they can just load up with resources and not have to go back again until it all runs out.  You thought the last design was bad?  This is just the same thing without the claim mechanic.  There are no limits on how many times a person can build something.  Resource cost doesn't limit anyone who really wants to go nuts with this, and if they try to hike the cost higher and higher to prevent it, it won't stop it.  Guess who gets hurt?  People like US who don't have time to just do useless stuff all day.

Although I agree with Daemon on nearly everything, I agree with you on this:

We just don't have the time to spend hours sailing over grids, running around 1 island finding nothing and 6hrs later still nothing, my time wasted. 

I don't have time to do that either.  Someone pointed out in another thread (that I can't find right now), that all they had to do was limit the claims.  They could even give every person 5 claims, and it would still have fixed the problem.  You have 2 man companies with 200 claims now.  That would free up 190 claims.  You have 10 person companies with 800 claims.  That would free up 750 claims.  It's all they had to do to fix this.  I bet both of us could have found something easily if they did that.

It doesn't seem like you enjoy living in lawless, because (like me), you complain about how hard it is to find claims.  But then you say this - now they have to come out and live with the rest of us.   It seems like you are choosing your solution like a petulant kid -  if *I* can't have a claim, nobody else should either, so there!   So now you're happy everyone has to live on lawless, when you could have supported something better and gotten yourself a nice claim somewhere.    You've shot yourself in the foot.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2019 at 4:46 PM, Daemon Cross said:

Hey I’ve noticed that topics aren’t popping up all the time and looking at steamcharts.com for atlas I can see why, the player base has dropped by more then half. Now I’m seeing threads about server wipes, upkeep on claim flags and general post about known bugs.  So I am wondering what will be the last straw for everyone else ? 

We’ve all dealt with the claim issue, the tames being lost, ships being sunk, exploits being used, server lag and everything else that comes along with early access games but we’ve held strong and kept playing the game.  So with the latest news of a possible server wipe and complete restart I’m not sure if I want to go through all of it again especially if there is another chance of another server wipe.

I mean with the player base dropping by over half and the claim timers expiring within a day or two, finding land shouldn’t be a problem but what if you do and the server wipe does happen and the whole process starts over.  I know companies who were 500 strong are now half that if not less, small companies have strived it seems along with the solo players such as myself but when I sail around the seas and see base after base full of ships it makes you wonder how many of the people who built all that are still playing?

Just trying to get some input from the rest of you, I know the thoughts on my mind are if a server wipe happens then I want temperate, tundra or tropic area for a new start but then I think about the people who don’t work and will have first dibs on what they want and everyone else will be back looking for land again.  I mean seriously for those of us who’ve dealt with the game issues this far, losing everything and starting over isn’t really working and for anyone who says it is then by all means, meet me in game and transfer everything to me and see if you really want to start over with nothing.  I know I don’t, and those they say it won’t be a bad thing then you haven’t had to deal with starting over and having nothing again or you’ve never had nothing to begin with. If I’m wrong then prove it

Its early access its a paid beta read the patch notes and watch the video. People have stopped playing because the claiming system is in the toilet., They are removing claim flags from PVE