Sign in to follow this  
SGFTI

So is there going to be a server wipe?

I dont want a LONG notice of a wipe.  Maybe a day or two so I dont farm right before a wipe.  But thats it, if you tell me a week before I wont play.

But a wipe is fine.  It took me so long to learn stuff that I would know right away after a wipe.  Starting up would be so much faster. There are so many things I would do differently if the choice was made for me that I wont do now because it would undo so much labor.

My only concern is the same as many of you:  The claim system would need to be reworked.  I would hate to start over and not be able to get some land.  That could be a game ender for me, but not the wipe itself.

Edited by Olthoi

On 2/24/2019 at 11:15 PM, Talono said:

I would pay for some items with real PVP advantage. Stronger guns, better weapons and armor.

But not for a fancy hat.. lol.

Wow, you literally just advocated for P2W mechanics in this game. Or any game that is played with other people for that matter.

I try my best to adress opinions and ideas and do not like attacking a person. However this is blatantly against what every single gamer should innately stand for. Witch is to be able to have the same opportunity to enjoy a game they paid for without parsing out better parts for those that can and want to pay more.

You sir, are a piece of dog shit. I will activly spend 10 minutes hoping something unfortunate happens to you today.

• Thanks 1

I just don't see where the game is even close to a state of supporting a complete wipe. I think more bugs should be addressed before a wipe happens, more content added and fleshed out. I don't see the logic of reworking the claim system alone being a reason to wipe a server. Yes I've spoke out against the system since day 1, but there alot of other issues that need addressed as well.

I've have come way closer to quit I over issues with tames then anything else. I've had a brigs bottom planks explode upon raising anchor for no apparent reason. There are alot of annoying little issues unresolved in the game that add up to more of an issue then claims imo.

Get the game more stable, add some more content, address bugs and I'd be fine with a wipe. But don't ask me to start over just to deal with all the horrors again while I try to grind it back out based on a notion that you may have created a better land claim system.

Let's face it, the track record of "making things better" on the first pass isn't exactly stellar

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Huck Finnley said:

I just don't see where the game is even close to a state of supporting a complete wipe. I think more bugs should be addressed before a wipe happens, more content added and fleshed out. I don't see the logic of reworking the claim system alone being a reason to wipe a server. Yes I've spoke out against the system since day 1, but there alot of other issues that need addressed as well.

I've have come way closer to quit I over issues with tames then anything else. I've had a brigs bottom planks explode upon raising anchor for no apparent reason. There are alot of annoying little issues unresolved in the game that add up to more of an issue then claims imo.

Get the game more stable, add some more content, address bugs and I'd be fine with a wipe. But don't ask me to start over just to deal with all the horrors again while I try to grind it back out based on a notion that you may have created a better land claim system.

Let's face it, the track record of "making things better" on the first pass isn't exactly stellar

Ima go out on a limb and guess that you have land claimed and as such the issue is less important to you than your tames. Personally,  tames are lame, but w/e. 

A wipe would be good for the vast majority of people if this 4 page thread is a sample size.

If peoples numbers are accurate about total player count, I havent verified those numbers of thier history personally, then its kind of a win win scenario. If you went from 60k to less than 10k in 3 months, you certainly wont be doing worse. The claim system was not well thought out. Change it, and it can be better, but how do you resolve the 3-6 servers per mega co. already claimed?

If i were a dev and saw the feedback, i would humbly acknowledge what I thought was a good idea didn't pan out.  Id rewrite the claim system and wipe everything and start over and see what happens. Hell,  I'd wipe servers at least 2x a year all through EA as a release simulation just to get more and better data for the launch of the game.

Actually no, I don't have claimed land, and in it's current state have no teal interest in it. I settled on lawless after a week of searching, bitching and moaning, and at that point realized a land claim or lack of, didn't make or break the game. My stuff is secure, our boats have a pretty dock, no one comes by to see when they can steal my land, and the surrounding community are good folks and helpful people. I've gotten to the point that other then the fact that we have to log in every 4 days to maintain the base, there is no real drawback to living in lawless vs claimed land.

You find a balance between the lawless system and dealing with douche bags that like to wall off resources or entire islands, you could do away with the claim system on PVE entirely imo

2 hours ago, Arykos said:

hopefully they do it in a good way... and then they please.... wipe the server

I hope they don't.  Just make it to wear joe schmoe who has 500 land claims loses his claims so that other people can get some land.  Why should everyone have to restart because a select few abuse the system.  Sorry that you didnt get land right away but why should i lose all stuff over it.  PVE in pvp this may be different but I doubt it.

1 hour ago, MrHeid said:

I hope they don't.  Just make it to wear joe schmoe who has 500 land claims loses his claims so that other people can get some land.  Why should everyone have to restart because a select few abuse the system.  Sorry that you didnt get land right away but why should i lose all stuff over it.  PVE in pvp this may be different but I doubt it.

my company got 2600 landclaims... why do u think many people left the game? they need fucking land to settle.

how can people think so selfish and don't even see this kind of state atm will kill the server. a pure new claimsystem will not be sucessfull if there is no wipe

There SHOULD be a wipe, infact there has to be a wipe. Not because I want a wipe, but if you look at the facts, an upkeep system is coming to the game, that will probably change the game entirely. The best thing for developers to do to make sure that this change is added SMOOTHLY, is to wipe the servers, all players can get adjusted to the new upkeep and plan accordingly as they claim land and the developers can monitor the upkeep costs as companies grow their empire and make balance changes or overhauls efficiently.

It doesn't make sense for the upkeep system to be added to live before a server wipe. I don't think a single company will be significantly prepared for the upkeep change. Players will instantly complain about this and have a shit storm so large it will probably be on the same level as the one in December. Players won't have a chance to test the new system and instead will just constantly make forums posts for it to be removed. I'm sure there will still be those posts, but just not as many.

• Thanks 1

Assuming it is an upkeep system. Just because you want that system doesn't make it so. Just pointing out that making your case based on an assumption doesn't really do much to bring people to your viewpoint. And even if it was an upkeep solution, a wipe isn't necessarily a needed thing, lands would free up over time as larger companies decided which areas were no longer worth holding onto. And those folks who have land that just log into game to keep it but are not currently playing would be forced to shit or get off the pot as well. 

If the system is a real honest to God working claim system, all would naturally fall into place over time and we wouldn't be forced to grind out another 60 lvls in the buggy POS world we're are currently dealing with.

There, imo, is no need for a wipe until they fix other issues along side the claim system

I’d love a wipe. The games gone stale over the last few weeks. I’d support regular wipes aswell. Maybe every two months or whatever. I would like some skins and items that I can spend money on aswell. The claim system needs some work too. I’ve posted a number of ideas on how to get everyone into the game with less focus on all companies constantly destroying each other ( I’m in a mega and lately all we have been raiding were offline small/ mediums) I’m sick of wrecking some kids shit while they’re offline. I want the player base back. 

Id like some PVE zones around free ports that PvP mega companies claim tax from and fight other mega companies for control over. That would mean mega companies would actually have a reason to fight mega companies and the solos/ small groups and PVE guys can just do their thing farming or building ships for mega companies to get back out into PvP sectors and keep fighting. 

All the things I’ve mentioned above would essentially need a wipe. I believe these ideas would also bring back a lot of the player base on a clean slate without all the benefits we took advantage of when the devs rolled out game breaking parches. 

Just my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Arykos said:

my company got 2600 landclaims... why do u think many people left the game? they need fucking land to settle.

how can people think so selfish and don't even see this kind of state atm will kill the server. a pure new claimsystem will not be sucessfull if there is no wipe

I dont think so.  Just make so it impossible to hang onto that many claims.  They already said not only are they adding an upkeep but they are adding limitations.  I'm not saying they won't wipe but I don't think you "need" to wipe everyone in order to fix it.  Just let people know in advance that you can have x amount if claims so declaim what you don't want by this date or it will be randomly declaimed 

16 hours ago, Xenom said:

still a wipe would lose way more players then it would gain in the long run.

All evidence says otherwise.  Having been through numerous server wipes for numerous games over many years, I've never seen a server wipe have a bad impact on the player count.  They did a server wipe for ARK several years ago and it not only did not kill ARK, it barely impacted player count at all.

16 hours ago, Xenom said:

with ongoing wipes

Who said anything about ongoing wipes other than the anti-wipe/Chicken Little crowd?  They're making a massive change to a core feature of the game.  For PvE, at least, a wipe is necessary for this particular feature change to provide a fair playing field.  No one is asking for monthly or multiple wipes.

Any guild that has a good claim. The work made entire islands claiming of course want to keep everything.
But look at that from company side players are forced to adapt to existing systems so buyers go back.

Atlas is / was an intricate system where a lot of things did not work as it should and many things in the player development process were different from how they worked out.
People do not stick to rules and want to dynamically end up.

Edited by Fragment

On 2/26/2019 at 3:21 AM, Enki Anunnaki said:

Honestly, at this point, a wipe would be a good idea. Let me give you some background as to why i believe a wipe would be cool. I have 540 hours ingame and by that point there really wasn't much left to do in the game except pvp. i am part of an 60 person active gaming community and we came to atlas and gained a bad taste in our mouths from the rough start, but we pushed on. We found an island on the first day and went from there. Pushed threw all the issues (way to many to list) and built ourselves a great base with everything the game had to offer (tames, ships, defensive and offensive metas, content, etc.). We developed a tight nit alliance and secured our grids. We took on dynasty and after months of battles, griefing, and straight up hell, dynasty summoned their hordes from their alliance and wiped our alliance and our grids fell. It was a long fight, and fun at times too. But mostly hell.. unplayable lag spikes from a super overpopulated server during the war (200+ ppl) to shitty game mechanics that made the battle into bullshit (npc cannon bears, render distance and so many more)... After that, most of us were burnt out and didnt have it in us (or time) to do what it would take to conquer a new land under the current state the game was. Most of us literally sacrificed our lives. Some of us lost jobs and relationships to keep our community going under the onslaught of constant war (24/7) with an alliance that outnumbered us 30 (or more really) to one. Now, things are looking up with all the updates and it seems like they're almost done with fixing the core game mechanics recoding and are about to focus on content. Now would be a good time to refresh the game in time for the content. Open the gates to returning players. wipe the server on content release day. that way, new and returning players will have an easy chance to grab land and establish themselves. Make people work their way up with current content and the new, thus keeping the interest and hype going in between content drops. Cuz im tellin ya, this game is dying and i know for a fact many thousands of people would come back with a wipe on content drop day. Dont gotta do it every content release day, but im tellin ya... people will come back. I will come back lol. 

Paragraphs are your friend. Giant wall of text with no separation not reader friendly.

• Like 2

A server wipe and a claim wipe are two different things.  You don't have to do a server wipe to fix claims.  You don't really even have to do a claim wipe to put a limitation on claims.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chucksteak said:

Hell,  I'd wipe servers at least 2x a year all through EA as a release simulation just to get more and better data for the launch of the game.

This by itself is a perfectly valid reason to wipe but players never bring it up because they don’t think about it from anything but their own perspective.

It would seem embarrassing for me to restart the entire server just because a few bums are not able to find the tons of land that is available to claim

21 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

This by itself is a perfectly valid reason to wipe but players never bring it up because they don’t think about it from anything but their own perspective.

all this would achieve is hardly anyone bothering to play and the simulation accuracy for release would be down to zero. you can twist it all you want, if you wipe during EA you will have a super low population EA and will not be able to really test half the things you implement the way they should be tested. in the end all systems they implement have to work in the long run, so everything besides a total rework of all islands where they'd have to do a structure/claim wipe does not really justify any sort of wipe in my opinion.

Edited by Xenom

26 minutes ago, Xenom said:

all this would achieve is hardly anyone bothering to play and the simulation accuracy for release would be down to zero. you can twist it all you want, if you wipe during EA you will have a super low population EA and will not be able to really test half the things you implement the way they should be tested. in the end all systems they implement have to work in the long run, so everything besides a total rework of all islands where they'd have to do a structure/claim wipe does not really justify any sort of wipe in my opinion.

I’m not twisting anything. All I’ve asserted is that there are valid reasons for wipes that players largely fail to consider because they do not tend to consider anything beyond their present desires. Nothing you’ve said here invalidates that, you’ve merely asserted with no supporting evidence that wipes will destroy the player base, because you assert that is what will happen. Do you have anything other than your own opinion to support your assertion?

Just because you say a wipe would take the playerbase to zero does not make it true. On the other hand Cazzt has provided the example of Ark’s wipe having nearly no effect on player base. I know this to be true because I was playing Ark at the time. His assertion was supported with an example, yours is not. Which would you reasonably expect people to consider the stronger claim?

I came into this fully expecting that there will be a wipe at least once during the early access period.

At some point, they will make a change to a mechanic or core system that the only options are to either not do the change, or to wipe the servers so the change can take affect.

The land claim changes MAY be one of these times where a wipe is needed. We don’t even know what the changes are going to be yet. The changes may not go they way they anticipated and they’ll have to make changes and possibly wipe again.

If you don’t want to put in a lot of time and effort now, just in case it’s all wiped out by the patch, then just play for maintenance until you know.

• Like 1

Bring on the wipe. I think it should be a regular thing after big patches till EA is over. The whole point of EA is to test the crap out of the game. If people are unwilling to lose stuff to being beta testers just be patient until the game goes live. Even then bad stuff can happen and rollbacks etc will occur sometimes. That is part of mmo life. Throw the balance in the air, bring in fresh and old blood alike. I think it's a healthy thing for the game. I know there are lots who will claim that everyone will just quit. Hate to break it to you I already quit because of boredom. I am looking for big content and the new rush again. If the content is in depth enough I will come back for a wipe 1000%