Sign in to follow this  
SGFTI

So is there going to be a server wipe?

2 minutes ago, MeatSammich said:

Ark was the same way

this is correct , there is a technical reason for it , was the same in ark , not as easy as just making it all solid 

Edited by UDO

43 minutes ago, CazzT said:

You know what's worse than a server wipe?  Ignoring glaring issues of griefing and making major changes to core mechanics while not providing a reset on those core mechanics for the players.

I see a lot of panic about server wipes, but I've never seen a server wipe kill a game.  Ever.

So should the people who are currently playing the game properly not using these tactics be punished because someone else cant find land close enough to resources.

There is plenty of land around to be claimed u just have to find it. only in the past 2days we have had 2 separate groups of new companies join the server. 

When we landed on our island there was no fiber there was no sap there was no metal. So what did we do, we sailed to get these resources. 

Our island still doesn't have metal we still sail to get it

Edited by IAmAnEasterEgg

I have played since day one and im neutral to a total wipe, if it happens, i still play the game, only thing that would suck is if i have to do all the discoveries all over again, since its a quest it should only be done once. 

If i loose all the levels, i couldnt care more about.

5 hours ago, Percieval said:

That is always good, but it won’t happen anytime soon because they’re probably contract bound (if they’re smart) with Nitrado. 

I don't know the details on this.  Can you elaborate or give a link with more info?  I've seen Nitrado's name a couple times, but I didn't know they were anything more than just a server provider.

Edited by CazzT

5 hours ago, IAmAnEasterEgg said:

So should the people who are currently playing the game properly not using these tactics be punished because someone else cant find land close enough to resources.

There is plenty of land around to be claimed u just have to find it. only in the past 2days we have had 2 separate groups of new companies join the server. 

When we landed on our island there was no fiber there was no sap there was no metal. So what did we do, we sailed to get these resources. 

Our island still doesn't have metal we still sail to get it

They wouldn't be "punished" by a server wipe.  That's your first mistake in viewing it as a punishment.  Providing a fair playing field is not a punishment.

Glad you're able to find land.  You have more dedication than the majority of new players will ever have.  Telling a new player "Suck it up, just keep looking" isn't going to keep a new player in the game.

No idea what you're getting at with your last point, though.  I wasn't advocating for having all resources on all islands.  In fact, I can't figure out why you're even bringing that up.  But to address it anyway, forcing players to sail to other islands and zones is exactly what should be happening.  This has jack-all to do with claims, though.

I imagine a good amount of the playerbase would leave if they do a wipe.  Many servers average like 3 players or less.  I am guessing this would not be a good thing for them to do.  I could seem them doing this though.  Be the final nail in the coffin. 

28 minutes ago, CazzT said:

They wouldn't be "punished" by a server wipe.  That's your first mistake in viewing it as a punishment.  Providing a fair playing field is not a punishment.

How is having all the time I put in to the game all the tames I have just, dismissed like that not a punishment just because someone else is new to the game. 

OK from now on we should just wipe the servers Everytime someone new wants to play because otherwise its an unfair advantage. 

My point with the resources was about adapting to a situation. learning to play better so you can put your self in a position to get land. 

Besides if a new player comes on can't find land and gives up after a week then he's the type of person who gives up very easily and survival games aren't really suitable for him. 

That issue isn't really to do with land but to do with 3 things.

A toxic environment where alot of people are using aimboters and esp aswell as don't trust each other ie a lot of politics.

Lack of content at the moment people are jumping back to ark because it's a similar game with alot more content.

an absolutely enormous amount of bugs that are not been rectified quickly enough I also group lack of dev communication to the community. 

The difference between the ark wipe and this wipe was lack of competition back then. If they do wipe the game will die quickly due to it increased amount of games on the market and coming too the market. 

As there may be people who talk about the wipe as it will end the player base ... the game started with a stable base of 60000 players, down to 30000 and is now in 6000/12000 to this is the people who play on servers private and different regions ... 1000 or 2000 players in pvp eu. the game is dead now we just have to pray for them to change things, make wipe and return the player base. although I'm afraid it's too late

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CazzT said:

I don't know the details on this.  Can you elaborate or give a link with more info?  I've seen Nitrado's name a couple times, but I didn't know they were anything more than just a server provider.

It is known that Nitrado is the official host for the official servers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IAmAnEasterEgg said:

How is having all the time I put in to the game all the tames I have just, dismissed like that not a punishment just because someone else is new to the game. 

OK from now on we should just wipe the servers Everytime someone new wants to play because otherwise its an unfair advantage. 

My point with the resources was about adapting to a situation. learning to play better so you can put your self in a position to get land. 

Besides if a new player comes on can't find land and gives up after a week then he's the type of person who gives up very easily and survival games aren't really suitable for him. 

A toxic environment where alot of people are using aimboters and esp aswell as don't trust each other ie a lot of politics.

Lack of content at the moment people are jumping back to ark because it's a similar game with alot more content.

an absolutely enormous amount of bugs that are not been rectified quickly enough I also group lack of dev communication to the community. 

The difference between the ark wipe and this wipe was lack of competition back then. If they do wipe the game will die quickly due to it increased amount of games on the market and coming too the market. 

You know nothing, fool. You clearly didn't understand what a wipe would be for

The current system is more deadly for new beginners who can not claim and groups have no chance unless they have to join a Isle Group and many will refuse.
I suppose a wipe around May in order to solve this problem.
I myself am waiting for a wipe.

Edited by Fragment
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, CazzT said:

I would actually like to see a couple zones/grids with one LARGE landmass.  Too big for a single company to actually utilize by themselves.  Perhaps something the size of The Island or The Center from ARK.  The tiny islands we have right now feel very... silly.  Too much water, not enough land.

Aye, the zones like A12, the ones with one REALLY big island are my favorite. 

And just ONE zone with a very big landmass that you cannot build on would be nice. We have the powerstone isles, but sometimes those are hard to navigate

22 minutes ago, Fragment said:

The current system is more deadly for new beginners who can not claim and groups have no chance unless they have to join a Isle Group and many will refuse.
I suppose a wipe around May in order to solve this problem.
I myself am waiting for a wipe.

The 2 groups that joined our server have less than a week in atlas

11 minutes ago, IAmAnEasterEgg said:

The 2 groups that joined our server have less than a week in atlas

Just because they were forced to.
I also played PvP for 1 month and PVE.
The players usually end up a few days later.
PVP is in my opinion currently nothing that is symphatic to me.

I have never owned a piece of land and wasn't really concerned about it at it's present state. I would love to see a system that actually makes it worth the hassle of finding a slice, but not at the cost of a character wipe. Having to start from lvl 1 with most of the bugs currently in game, and the news ones introduced in the next big patch, I just don't think I'd be interested in grinding out 59 lvls again.

The game is getting better. It needs more content, a wipe and a deeper sale to boost players to turn things around.

On 2/23/2019 at 9:33 PM, SGFTI said:

So I've heard behind closed doors Jat has talked to players and told them there may be a server wipe coming up soon along with a major patch.

How about instead of just talking to certain people and letting the rumor spread, you disclose this to entire community so we can all be on the same page? 

I'd like details of the likelihood of a wipe, when it would occur, what would and wouldn't transfer over, etc. Do I keep my discovery points and level? Or is this a complete and utter wipe? 

I apologize in advance if this has already been stated, if there is a server wipe (I'm totally fine with it), it would be the perfect opportunity to have two new PVP/PVE realms for our friendly Asian community, they have EU and NA, why not wipe and add the Asian servers? This would have very good effects on the amount of available land for everyone.

Respectfully,

WCJoker

Wipe if the claim system is good. Wipe all but not character and lvls. 

No wipe if claim will be the same but with a upkeep.  

Make vendor that sell land you can buy. Big company can buy island. Real big can buy grid. But not more then that. Enough land to settle you're max 40.000 players....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IAmAnEasterEgg said:

Your mistake here is viewing a wipe as a punishment.  It's not.  The purpose of a wipe is not to take away anything from anyone.  It's to reset the playing field after a major change or to fix a problem that has gotten out of hand that all other solutions would be worse or actual punishments.  You viewing it as a punishment is simply not understanding the purpose of server wipes.  Again, server wipes are to reset the playing field, not to punish people.

Comments like this make you sound like a petulant child.

How incredibly presumptuous of you!  Not to mention the fact that scaring off potential fans of the genre is a good way to see the genre die off.

13 hours ago, IAmAnEasterEgg said:

Lack of land is an issue.  But you're saying that it's not because "look at these other issues!"  That's not how this works.  All the issues stacked on top of each other makes each one bigger than it would be alone.  The first thing new players are most likely to encounter is the lack of land, and the reason for said lack of land.  Without being able to find a place to stake as their own, they're unlikely to encounter the aimbotters or the lack of content or mountain of bugs that exist.  Because they won't stick around if they can't even experience the most basic of features.

13 hours ago, IAmAnEasterEgg said:

The lack of competition that the current land claim issue has caused?

And I wonder, did ARK die because of the server wipe?  It's not like there was a lack of new games hitting the market during ARK's development.  All you've done is proven that a server wipe will not kill Atlas and is not a bad thing.

12 hours ago, Percieval said:

It is known that Nitrado is the official host for the official servers. 

I didn't know they were the official server provider.  Cool beans.

Though I'm not sure how that would have any impact on changing the island set up in the zones.

2 hours ago, CazzT said:

I didn't know they were the official server provider.  Cool beans.

Though I'm not sure how that would have any impact on changing the island set up in the zones.

Because if Nitrado (and Grapeshot) were smart, they would’ve drafted a contract. If they did that, there should he a sentence somewhere about hardware usage. The distance in between islands and the amount of islands in a grid affects hardware usage a lot. Meaning they can’t just ‘add in’ more islands. Or place them all closer to each other. You can change the entire map with putting the grids at different places than before. Probably when the game launches we’ll have new servers with different setups and more islands. And 700 unique ones like they said before launch. 

I’d like to see all the ARK maps in the map, spread out. So that when people anchor at Ragnarok, they can go on a real expedition on an island. 

Edited by Percieval

Honestly, at this point, a wipe would be a good idea. Let me give you some background as to why i believe a wipe would be cool. I have 540 hours ingame and by that point there really wasn't much left to do in the game except pvp. i am part of an 60 person active gaming community and we came to atlas and gained a bad taste in our mouths from the rough start, but we pushed on. We found an island on the first day and went from there. Pushed threw all the issues (way to many to list) and built ourselves a great base with everything the game had to offer (tames, ships, defensive and offensive metas, content, etc.). We developed a tight nit alliance and secured our grids. We took on dynasty and after months of battles, griefing, and straight up hell, dynasty summoned their hordes from their alliance and wiped our alliance and our grids fell. It was a long fight, and fun at times too. But mostly hell.. unplayable lag spikes from a super overpopulated server during the war (200+ ppl) to shitty game mechanics that made the battle into bullshit (npc cannon bears, render distance and so many more)... After that, most of us were burnt out and didnt have it in us (or time) to do what it would take to conquer a new land under the current state the game was. Most of us literally sacrificed our lives. Some of us lost jobs and relationships to keep our community going under the onslaught of constant war (24/7) with an alliance that outnumbered us 30 (or more really) to one. Now, things are looking up with all the updates and it seems like they're almost done with fixing the core game mechanics recoding and are about to focus on content. Now would be a good time to refresh the game in time for the content. Open the gates to returning players. wipe the server on content release day. that way, new and returning players will have an easy chance to grab land and establish themselves. Make people work their way up with current content and the new, thus keeping the interest and hype going in between content drops. Cuz im tellin ya, this game is dying and i know for a fact many thousands of people would come back with a wipe on content drop day. Dont gotta do it every content release day, but im tellin ya... people will come back. I will come back lol. 

Edited by Enki Anunnaki
  • Thanks 1

still a wipe would lose way more players then it would gain in the long run. if this is going to get wiped it will be like every other EA game with low numbers...basically they could just shut it down and release it in 2 years as with ongoing wipes hardly anyone would bother playing such a time consuming game. sure those that got wiped or got no land so far (still if you want land and can't fight for it, negotations are the way to go and i doubt one can't find one if he really wants to but well...) will come back briefly but i doubt this is the way to go..we need good patches that grow the population again not sacrifice those that keep playing for those that will check back in just to see that you still can get wiped if someone is dedicated in doing so.

as far as the census was so far this is early access ok, so dealing with bugs np but having wipes is a really no go at this point. i mean the claiming system needs a rework sure but if the rework doesn't work without a wipe it needs another rework as it will not work in the long run.

just my 2 cents and i really enjoy this game since release non stop and don't understand all this whining about no content/bugs etc...sure there could be more content or less bugs, still overall this is still hell of a game (in a good way:P)

Edited by Xenom

If there is going to be a wipe there has to be some very good content to follow after it. I am in the camp that a wipe needs to happen, especially if they are changing the claim flag system again.

What I don't want to see is a wipe and nothing else has been added to the game because people will just think, what is the point in doing it again? Nothing new.

They have to release major content in the game, players have already hit the brick wall of doing most things and now it just gets repetitive, collecting resources, build, sail your ship, kill SOTD and store blurprints, it can feel like you're going in circles at times, abit like SOTD.

Players want to see more things in game, I feel they are slow in doing this and have let the player base slide. They should have been thinking about this well in advance and it doesn't look like they have, to me it's like they are just coasting along with it with no direction. Get the player markets up and running, get players interacting more and feel a sense of achievement with trading etc.

There biggest downfall is no communication with the player base, they have to be more active. With them stating themselves we need more devs on the team my thought is not good on the future of Atlas. I am already thinking of leaving myself for awhile to see how things go, without more content after wipe that would be my decision made.