Sign in to follow this  
SGFTI

So is there going to be a server wipe?

15 hours ago, Trelawney said:

Actually, I'd rather not know. As soon as a wipe is announced, the majority of people will stop logging in until it happens, and a lot of people will lose interest during that time and not come back afterwards/

14 hours ago, UDO said:

if tehy wiped now the game would be dead far too many would leave 

You guys are acting like they care if players leave. It is not a subscription service, they already bought the game the money is in the bank. If players leave, that is less server load. There are no micro-transactions. players staying only costs them more money...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, DannyUK said:

Made a thread about it myself, I think there should be a server wipe as long as they've fixed the claims and is a whole new concept rather than spamming them again.

There should have been a server wipe when they changed the system the last time. What they did was allow first time players to go out and spam flags, ok fair enough they get to keep them but when you actually change the system to now allow other players to build on there or not it is moving the goal posts.

Why should they be allowed to keep land and rent it out when new players haven't had that choice? You change the rules like that you have to start over, sorry people didn't like it last time but it isn't a fair game when they do that.

The claim system is broken and until they fix it I am staying on lawless like many others, I have no desire to run around every island on every grid looking for a timer to go down, what a waste of time. You'd be there weeks on end just travelling from 1 grid to the next, no thanks.

When and if they wipe the server and change the system then I will be active and come off lawless, until then I'm staying put.

Yeah they just need to go back to the ark, build anywhere design. I mean seriously

31 minutes ago, DannyUK said:

Made a thread about it myself, I think there should be a server wipe as long as they've fixed the claims and is a whole new concept rather than spamming them again.

There should have been a server wipe when they changed the system the last time. What they did was allow first time players to go out and spam flags, ok fair enough they get to keep them but when you actually change the system to now allow other players to build on there or not it is moving the goal posts.

Why should they be allowed to keep land and rent it out when new players haven't had that choice? You change the rules like that you have to start over, sorry people didn't like it last time but it isn't a fair game when they do that.

The claim system is broken and until they fix it I am staying on lawless like many others, I have no desire to run around every island on every grid looking for a timer to go down, what a waste of time. You'd be there weeks on end just travelling from 1 grid to the next, no thanks.

When and if they wipe the server and change the system then I will be active and come off lawless, until then I'm staying put.

There's been a lot of things like duping and the mortar glitch that I think were worthy of a wipe. Alpha breeding is wipeworthy too, except they still haven't figured out how to fix it.  I'm all for a wipe, I'm just also for being transparent with the community and not just the leaders of certain tribes. 

Edited by SGFTI
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, SGFTI said:

There's been a lot of things like duping and the mortar glitch that I think were worthy of a wipe. Alpha breeding is wipeworthy too, except they still haven't figured out how to fix it.  I'm all for a wipe, I'm just also for being transparent with the community and not just the leaders of certain tribes. 

Duping is never going to be fixed. That was the main reason people wanted a wipe on ark. Even with the temporary fix on ark they still found a way around it. 

Wipe or no wipe. The duping will not stop. Ark has been around for 3 years and duping still happens. It’s time to get used to that. Wipes for claims? Sure.

but never think duping will end. Not going to happen

1 hour ago, Crete21 said:

You guys are acting like they care if players leave. It is not a subscription service, they already bought the game the money is in the bank. If players leave, that is less server load. There are no micro-transactions. players staying only costs them more money...

For now. They have already said there will be a cosmetic cash shop in the future. MMO's like Atlas have significant ongoing costs. It is likely given how costs for games of this nature are front loaded with revenue streaming over time rather than in large chunks like shooters etc. This means that while they might be able to weather not having many players i nthe short term, in the long term, they need you to stick around and buy things from the cash shop eventually.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

For now. They have already said there will be a cosmetic cash shop in the future. MMO's like Atlas have significant ongoing costs. It is likely given how costs for games of this nature are front loaded with revenue streaming over time rather than in large chunks like shooters etc. This means that while they might be able to weather not having many players i nthe short term, in the long term, they need you to stick around and buy things from the cash shop eventually.

Very true. To be honest, what they really really should have done is prolonged release by 6-8 months and made sure a good amount of conetent was in the game already, then made a subscription based game.

i mean for crying out loud, with the 1000’s upon 1000’s of hours people played ark they really should have made that subscription based. It would have been just as successful.

they really screwed up atlas. They released it way too early. This is coming from someone that out of 3 years from ark never made one complaint about any bug. Not once mind you.

i really don’t care about bugs. Even 3 years later I don’t care about bugs. I do not like stupid shit however.

2 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

indeed. But they will couple the cash shop with what they will call a "large content update", to lure players back. Then those players will find out the content was not so large as promised and leave again... just as planned. Its a formula that works. 

As long as the big companies whales stay and spend $1k on cash shop items, the small fish can leave after their initial $20 currency purchase with no hard feelings from the devs.

I was just pointing out that ppl who think they wont wipe cause players will leave are wrong. It is not something that matters at the moment

4 minutes ago, Crete21 said:

indeed. But they will couple the cash shop with what they will call a "large content update", to lure players back. Then those players will find out the content was not so large as promised and leave again... just as planned. Its a formula that works. 

As long as the big companies whales stay and spend $1k on cash shop items, the small fish can leave after their initial $20 currency purchase with no hard feelings from the devs.

I was just pointing out that ppl who think they wont wipe cause players will leave are wrong. It is not something that matters at the moment

Well there is another consideration that has nothing to do with money. They still need players to actually play to provide data for their testing iterations. You may have noticed that the initial design of the skill system heavily incentivizes a jack of all trades master of none approach to the skill trees. This is because at this early stage what they want to encourage is broad testing of skills, not deep.

2 hours ago, Crete21 said:

You know I could envisage this game being a subscription based like other MMO's, Elder Scrolls Online, World Of Warcraft etc.

There is alot they could add into the game but my personal opinion is the game is in the wrong hands, wrong game developers to have a subscription based game. When you think about it it could be a very big game and come quite popular for subscriptions but as I say the current team will not succeed in it.

I remember watching all the videos on Atlas before it came out, nothing like the videos but if it did get like that, it could take off big time but I understand it's still EA. I'm just having fun while it lasts to be honest, I don't see it sustaining player base for very long.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crete21 said:

Crete, I feel like you have no idea what the devs are doing in the background. I can assure you that the devs do care that people are leaving, and are trying to figure out why, and how they can prevent it, and increase the playerbase once again. Having a thriving community is important to any game. 

12 minutes ago, Aeonness Mernher said:

Crete, I feel like you have no idea what the devs are doing in the background. I can assure you that the devs do care that people are leaving, and are trying to figure out why, and how they can prevent it, and increase the playerbase once again. Having a thriving community is important to any game. 

I am sorry, but you are wrong. 

In a game with a single up-front purchase, a thriving community and large amounts of players is not a priority. When they feel more players are needed, they will drop a content patch. Players will return, and then dwindle again.

The devs themselves may care very much that their game is popular, and that people like playing it. But the decision makers, and financial backers could care less. In fact, when they see the cumulative negative Steam reviews, all of the videos telling you not to play, and bad reviews... they start asking questions like "Does this game need a team of 20 devs on it? Couldnt 10 do this?"" "Could we lessen the cost of maintaining this game?" "How fast can we get micro-transactions live?" "Could we switch to lower bitrate servers?" "Lets talk paid expansions"

This is not me just spit-balling, or guessing. This is very much how the game industry works.

Question not asked by the decision makers: "Will a wipe upset our community?"

• Like 2

I wish I could disagree with Crete, but the Suits never care about the community or how a financial-based decision will upset them.  ...until it has a devastating impact on their bottom line, but by then it's too late.

I would pay for some items with real PVP advantage. Stronger guns, better weapons and armor.

But not for a fancy hat.. lol.

1 hour ago, Talono said:

I would pay for some items with real PVP advantage. Stronger guns, better weapons and armor.

But not for a fancy hat.. lol.

Lets not kill the game with Pay2Win, mkay?

20 hours ago, Shintai said:

It will be even more detailed now.  Best land with metal nodes etc taken, quit!

People don't want to live on just "land" anymore, they want more.

there is a solution for this. i think its pretty easy to change the grids(for the devs). just switch all grids random to a new position and everyone knows nothing again.

i see only one big problem and that is the freeport lag and the fact that servers cant handle more than 50 people. other mmos like world of warcraft have "phasing" for this problem

Edited by TheCoolGuy

26 minutes ago, TheCoolGuy said:

there is a solution for this. i think its pretty easy to change the grids(for the devs). just switch all grids random to a new position and everyone knows nothing again.

i see only one big problem and that is the freeport lag and the fact that servers cant handle more than 50 people. other mmos like world of warcraft have "phasing" for this problem

As long as you don’t add in more land, that should be fine. 

I would imagine next month maybe with the changes to teh claim system.. well depending on how much they actually change it.

I think that would probably be a good time for a wipe to test the new claim system from the ground up.

No issues at all with wipes during development I expect there to be quite a few over the years.

Probably yes

I meet more bugs every day.
I understand that they cannot be solved by other methods.

(Flying anchor, crumpled stern texture, flying flowers,
 flying stones and iron, the pure texture of a free port,
 horses galloping horizontally, my ship disappeared,
 its fragments float in the center of the island at my house ...)

What concerns me the most is that we didn’t hear anything about the claim system yet. I just hope it won’t be something we don’t know the details of till launch and then we all start crying and shouting again. If they do it right, they will ask our opinion about it from time to time in development. 

8 minutes ago, Percieval said:

As long as you don’t add in more land, that should be fine. 

I would actually like to see a couple zones/grids with one LARGE landmass.  Too big for a single company to actually utilize by themselves.  Perhaps something the size of The Island or The Center from ARK.  The tiny islands we have right now feel very... silly.  Too much water, not enough land.

4 minutes ago, Percieval said:

What concerns me the most is that we didn’t hear anything about the claim system yet. I just hope it won’t be something we don’t know the details of till launch and then we all start crying and shouting again. If they do it right, they will ask our opinion about it from time to time in development. 

According to Friday's (2/22) Captain's Log, they're going to give details of the new claim system in this week's Captain's Log.  We'll see.  I'm eager to know the details, too.  The land claim nonsense is really the only thing that's dampening my interest right now, but it's a pretty big damper.

ATLAS is only water, on top of the small textures of the earth, 
if you lie down and press (K) there will be a sea below. 
Therefore mistakes. It is necessary to make several fully server ground.

3 minutes ago, IAmAnEasterEgg said:

Yes they are going to wipe the severs with a cloth they do have to do maintenance on them. People need to stop wanting wipes. It will kill the game

You know what's worse than a server wipe?  Ignoring glaring issues of griefing and making major changes to core mechanics while not providing a reset on those core mechanics for the players.

I see a lot of panic about server wipes, but I've never seen a server wipe kill a game.  Ever.

17 minutes ago, Konvar said:

ATLAS is only water, on top of the small textures of the earth, 
if you lie down and press (K) there will be a sea below. 
Therefore mistakes. It is necessary to make several fully server ground.

Ark was the same way

25 minutes ago, CazzT said:

I would actually like to see a couple zones/grids with one LARGE landmass.  Too big for a single company to actually utilize by themselves.  Perhaps something the size of The Island or The Center from ARK.  The tiny islands we have right now feel very... silly.  Too much water, not enough land.

That is always good, but it won’t happen anytime soon because they’re probably contract bound (if they’re smart) with Nitrado.