Sign in to follow this  
Raine

Why doesn't Atlas have camels in the polar/tundra regions?

I think it would be an interesting addition to the collection of animals in Atlas, particularly in the polar/tundra areas.  I mean, if the Mongolians can use them, why not Atlasians?  😄 [FB video]

Now I'm really confused. Is the camel and animal or musical instrument?

And if the animal, I wasn't aware it lived anywhere naturally (in the wild) other than Africa.

Heya Bill!

It turns out the bactrian camel (two humps) is native to the steppes of Central Asia and has been used as a pack animal since ancient times.  Think of  the Silk Road, for example. According to Wiki, steppes range from 45 deg C (113 deg F) in the summer and -55 deg C (-67 deg F) in the winter.   So the Tundra and maybe even the polar regions might be a natural Atlas habitat for them.  Of course part of the Gobi Desert lies in Mongolia, so the camels were used as pack animals there too.  They were also useful for meat, cheese, wool, ropemaking, clothing and food.

52 minutes ago, Raine said:

Heya Bill!

It turns out the bactrian camel (two humps) is native to the steppes of Central Asia and has been used as a pack animal since ancient times.  Think of  the Silk Road, for example. According to Wiki, steppes range from 45 deg C (113 deg F) in the summer and -55 deg C (-67 deg F) in the winter.   So the Tundra and maybe even the polar regions might be a natural Atlas habitat for them.  Of course part of the Gobi Desert lies in Mongolia, so the camels were used as pack animals there too.  They were also useful for meat, cheese, wool, ropemaking, clothing and food.

This is my favorite post today, primarily because I had no idea camels were native to Central Asia. Learn something new every day.

• Thanks 1