Sign in to follow this  
LongDongSilver

Heavy cannon meta killing the naval fun?

I use them on my build.  Large for long range and planking and meds for constant barrages when I get in closer.  If you are hitting ships near max range then the captain of that boat isn't worth a crap.  Use the wind, time their shots and always remember.  The NPC's are firing at where you will be at the end of the cannonballs flight time.  Don't be there. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 9:21 PM, BumbleBumble said:

@Mike L 

I haven't been in the situation where one has caught up with me without having most of the planks and/or sails removed. And when they have, swivels have finished them off. So I'm unable to really discuss that with you. 
The base 5k panels drop too quickly currently, and not many people are willing to put bp's on schooners. (That I've play with/against)

Lol just last night a front large cannon build schooner got sunk by our brigs broadside, which was gunports+ 6 large cannons. 

I said the large cannon builds ARE a bit overpowered, but to say you cant get in gunport range of one takes a bad captain driving that ship. 

Just adjust your speed and dont sail into a shit ton of large balls headed your way. 

My main point was at max range on larges it takes two players for a hit to be scored, it takes one to aim the larges ahead of the enemy ship, and then the enemy ship still has to keep sailing strait into the shot. 

Larges at max range take like 5 seconds to fly through the air.. you could, turn, or close your sails to avoid getting planked in that 5 seconds. 

Three things contribute to the rear cannon design.

Stupid AI and Slow Sailing of SotD, they will keep running into your shots even when they cannot catch you or hit back.   A dual rear cannon sloop can down max level SotD solo easy, the only fear is running into another SotD while looking backward.  The SotD are SLOW, the can be dragged along at 85% load and still keep distance.  SotD should pack, you hit one, every one on the server should be heading towards the battle.  This pack should only be when one attacks not when its perusing a ship. this way you will have attacks from all sides. 

The ease cannons should be placed on wood ceilings IMHO cannons should ONLY be place-able on decks and stone structures.   The could be put on wood ceiling but every shot cause 500 damage to the ceiling it's placed on.  Heavy cannons would do that to even decks.  leave the elevated work flooring to the ballista and swivel guns.   

The last is wood structures are too strong in relation to planks.   Even small planks should have double the resistance of wood structure. right now wood roof is close to a medium plank and if the roof gets destroyed, you don't start sinking.   IMHO wood structure should either be significantly heavier or weaker placed on a ship or planks should get much tougher.  

i think a good balance to this could come in how the new ship stat of more damage calculates to the cannons on a ship. cannons in gunports should see more of an increase. i see far too many ships that don't use gunports at all because you can't put a large cannon in them...

On 3/7/2019 at 1:57 AM, Mike L said:

Lol just last night a front large cannon build schooner got sunk by our brigs broadside, which was gunports+ 6 large cannons. 

I said the large cannon builds ARE a bit overpowered, but to say you cant get in gunport range of one takes a bad captain driving that ship. 

Just adjust your speed and dont sail into a shit ton of large balls headed your way. 

My main point was at max range on larges it takes two players for a hit to be scored, it takes one to aim the larges ahead of the enemy ship, and then the enemy ship still has to keep sailing strait into the shot. 

Larges at max range take like 5 seconds to fly through the air.. you could, turn, or close your sails to avoid getting planked in that 5 seconds. 

I'm confused, I agree Large cannon builds are over powered. 

Also, I'm saying I can't discuss it further with you. I have no experience of the situation at which you speak. I don't run slow ships, people don't just magically catch up and broad side me, when they get close to me, I turn my back towards them, they either turn away (meaning I've gained distance from them again) or they get hit in the face by 10 large cannon balls. 

Sometimes there are misses, but if they don't turn away (which is exactly what I want) then they take a full volley. 

I'm making the assuming that you understand that you cant shoot large cannons forward as far as a rear boat can shoot them backwards - Not physically, but as the fight moves. 

Additionally, Schooners have the worst turning circles of all ships. In Storms then you can't always turn, because the cyclone pulls have more ability to change your direction than you do. 

Edited by ShoulderRabbit

@ShoulderRabbit

The back cannon build is strong defensively. 

The big issue though is trying to offensively line up a shot with a back cannon build. 

It's really tough to know the best ship design. 

The back cannon build lines shots up on stuff that's chasing it, but has little sinking potential since once they run from you, you cant line anything up. 

Back cannon build is usually a stalemate. 

Gonna do a little testing on officials here soon, maybe I'll know more then!

Gunports have offensive potential and take very little weight on the boat now.

It's really tough to know what's best though, it does seem like stacking all your large cannons one direction is the way to go though. 

What is killing the naval fun is that there is no variety at all. There are only 3 ships to choose from and really only 2 types of sail that are useful. Then there is the cannons you have either medium or you have heavy. That's it. Is it any wonder that naval battles feel a bit sort of the same after a while...

On 3/6/2019 at 10:34 AM, MajorAvatar said:

Do you say no one is using them? yesterday I met an enterprising young lady, that made the most curious boat designs in PvP official I have seen so far.  So far I have seen two of her ships, both  Brigantines,  with very interesting turtle designs (5 layers, 6 layers in some places) she managed to even partly shield the lower back and part of the front, something I have not seen anyone before,  do as of yet.

She told me, that her design, plus a mixed-use of Swivels, Medium, and Large cannons, allows her to take on 2-3 enemy ships at the same time AND WIN. I did not believe it, she invited me to board the ship and go for some hunting. In no less than 3 hours, she indeed managed to sink 7 ships (5 brigs, two schooners) and was once in a 2v1 situation and won that fight relatively easy. Afterward, she needed to run into a freeport for repairs / new armor but, I must admit, she used both the strength as well weaknesses of Medium, Large and Swivels to her advantage on that ship.

Respect. it showed me that using only swivels or only large cannons, or even a mix without the medium cannons, is not a good idea.

I am curious though when you were riding around with her, did she encounter any ships which only has 5-10 large cannons on the back?(ghost ship killer)

Or any of the large cannon meta discussed in this thread? 

Because I've yet to devise a way other than mortars or very boosted sails to out maneuver and sink one of these booty builds, but they cant really sink you if your careful, or did she just sail away from these? 

She couldn't have been catching them with all that armour.

Edited by Mike L

Shotguns are broken 9-12 on the bow, 3-6 on the stern like we do here, and this is against a top 10 company.

I would like it if they just do away with them on ships all together and make you have to  commit to pew pew.