Sign in to follow this  
Realist

Where they really messed up

They just had to have a huge map to generate the hype. Really big mistake on their part. 

The 3 things that gave ark spikes in numbers were additional tames/dinos, a new map, and a DLC.

if they were smart they would have made the map smaller to start with and then they could have said “hey, we are adding a lot more grids to the map” and everyone would have been excited. But no, they had to shoot their whole load right from the beginning.

when they said they learned their lesson and wouldn’t do a paid DLC during early access(still probably a lie) they shot themselves in the foot again because that is the second of the 3 reasons for spikes.

now we have tames. They are adding the crab so that will help but out of the 3 ways they really only have one road to go down now. More tames/tame content. Which will help a little.

either way 80% is a huge drop. 

• Confused 2

All I can think about it the extremely bad launch on a bigger map, and you would’ve want that on a smaller map. Meaning the problems would maybe be twice as big. No no. Especially since we didn’t have unofficial yet. Less room for people + More lag and maybe even a week/2 weeks of unplayable servers more. No thanks. 

3 hours ago, Percieval said:

All I can think about it the extremely bad launch on a bigger map, and you would’ve want that on a smaller map. Meaning the problems would maybe be twice as big. No no. Especially since we didn’t have unofficial yet. Less room for people + More lag and maybe even a week/2 weeks of unplayable servers more. No thanks. 

Ok let’s just stick with the 80% loss in numbers anyways. There is really no difference except now they won’t be able to generate any hype.

having a smaller map to start would have been a way better idea. Especially with all of the “we can’t find land” people. If they heard new servers were coming they would come back in the hopes of getting that land. If they got it they would stay. If they didn’t, they would just leave again.

nobody is going to bother with watching timers and sailing for hours to find land. Just stupid really. 

Tames isn't helping, they are destroying.

The problem with Atlas is it´s not a pirate game with focus on melee and human skills. Oh and then the massive cheating on PvP.

You would know if you actually bought and played the game.

Edited by Shintai

16 minutes ago, Shintai said:

Tames isn't helping, they are destroying.

The problem with Atlas is it´s not a pirate game with focus on melee and human skills. Oh and then the massive cheating on PvP.

You would know if you actually bought and played the game.

Doesn’t matter. There was cheating on ark and in fact there still is cheating on ark. 

All of these pleas for the cheaters to get ban? I gotta laugh at that every time. Not laughing to be a jerk but laughing because how do people not realize that they will just make new accounts and start duping so they will be back to where they were within a week.

cheating isn’t going to stop. It took these guys 2 years to find a “fix” for duping on ark it is still didn’t fully work.

it is going to take a lot longer here.

but you are right on one thing though. Atlas isn’t a pirate game. It’s ark. If you don’t believe me just look at the emphasis put on tames. Now the weight reduction. Soon the giant crab “land quetzal”. And before the increase in amount of gathering.

they are even changing the land claims to make it less like it was before. Ark worked. Atlas didn’t. Mark my words, you will see more changes in the direction of ark. Don’t believe me if you don’t want to. I am not forcing anything on anyone. I will be here with an “I told you so” for the people that don’t believe me though.

there will also not be an emphasis on npc’s because they will mess that up and they know it. Time to hop on a tame and grind just like ark.

hell even building is the same as ark

U don't even play or own the game so anything you have to say is invalid 

• Haha 1

I'd like to see a larger map myself. I think tames add to the game.

I think most people left due to lack of claimable land, offline pvp issues and bugs/incomplete game issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uli said:

U don't even play or own the game so anything you have to say is invalid 

Not likely 

1 hour ago, Buck Rider said:

I think most people left due to lack of claimable land, offline pvp issues and bugs/incomplete game issues.

Exactly right. Tames are the only thing worth anything really

1 hour ago, Buck Rider said:

And all this things will be changed with V19.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Realist said:

Ok let’s just stick with the 80% loss in numbers anyways. There is really no difference except now they won’t be able to generate any hype.

having a smaller map to start would have been a way better idea. Especially with all of the “we can’t find land” people. If they heard new servers were coming they would come back in the hopes of getting that land. If they got it they would stay. If they didn’t, they would just leave again.

nobody is going to bother with watching timers and sailing for hours to find land. Just stupid really. 

I don’t believe you read my post. It couldn’t be done. 

It's a copy paste but just to add up to the 80% loss in numbers to put in in perspective a bit.

I just took a look at Battlemetrics website to see how many people are on the various official servers, I could choose 3 official servers excluded NA PVE, for some reason it's not listed atm or it's somewhere in the list and I haven't found it. Either way, if u rank that list on highest players per server u will see the first page of 10 servers already drops down quickly to just 30 players per grid. Going down the list towards the back this decreases ofcourse, to hit the last 5 pages which are 50 (51 actually) grids/servers where there is not a single player online. From those 50 (51) servers from 3 out of 4 official server lists there are only 4 Freeport regions in it, 2 Central Maws(?), and 4 Lawless regions. So still 40 servers where areas are claimable that nobody is online at this very moment.

51 servers without players

52 servers with 1 player

70 servers with 2 players

65 servers with 3 players

70 servers with 4 players

61 servers with 5 players

58 servers with 6 players

43 servers with 7 players

34 servers with 8 players

40 servers with 9 players

+-110 servers with 10 to 15 players

40 servers with 16 - 25 players

13 servers with 26 - 55 players

1 server with 129 players online which is currently NA PVP E9

Even when NA PVE would be included I doubt this list would become much better. Now take in mind that each server has up to 4 islands where these players are also (possibly) divided over just to give an idea how much fun it must be to play Atlas nowadays. I'm not gonna take the time to try and add all those numbers up to see how many people are actually stlil playing on official servers, was hoping there was a website that could show me this by just selecting the 4 official ones showing how many players were on each but couldn't find it yet. Sure these numbers are still to get slightly higher as there is a weekend starting for most and well if the trend continues this weekend we'll peak around 12k maybe 13 if lucky but over the last weeks the playerbase peaks in weekends drop off around 2-4k players a week so yeah, have fun while it lasts.

12 hours ago, Realist said:

They just had to have a huge map to generate the hype. Really big mistake on their part. 

The 3 things that gave ark spikes in numbers were additional tames/dinos, a new map, and a DLC.

if they were smart they would have made the map smaller to start with and then they could have said “hey, we are adding a lot more grids to the map” and everyone would have been excited. But no, they had to shoot their whole load right from the beginning.

when they said they learned their lesson and wouldn’t do a paid DLC during early access(still probably a lie) they shot themselves in the foot again because that is the second of the 3 reasons for spikes.

now we have tames. They are adding the crab so that will help but out of the 3 ways they really only have one road to go down now. More tames/tame content. Which will help a little.

either way 80% is a huge drop. 

Go play ark. Make raft and problem solved for you. Let us play atlas with big map. The greatest problem is not be active on cheaters in a mmo and the land claim system the used.

3 hours ago, awakatanka said:

Go play ark. Make raft and problem solved for you. Let us play atlas with big map. The greatest problem is not be active on cheaters in a mmo and the land claim system the used.

Oh yeah I already made a thread about how horrible the claim system is. One of the worst ideas ever.

the problem with cheaters is that they can just make new accounts and there is no way to stop that. Took them years to attempt to stop duping but duping is still happening so yeah they won’t be stopping cheaters on atlas anytime soon