Warlock

Claim Flag Rework Suggestion

8 minutes ago, Realist said:

When it comes to Xbox. It not my fault they suck and can’t get it to console in a reasonable amount of time. Guess they are messing up in every way. 

Well you didn’t say current before in all fairness. If you want to change is to current then yes I will agree with you. 

But from your first statement 20% wouldn’t be possible 

Ok so you argue for the sake of argueing on a game you don´t own. Thanks for the confirmation.

No wonder you have no idea how the game actually is.

Edited by Shintai

Just now, Shintai said:

Ok so you argue for the sake of argueing on a game you don´t own. Thanks for the confirmation.

How was I arguing just to argue. From your first statement you didn’t use the word current. So I took it for face value.

then when you changed it to current I actually said I agreed with you. How the hell is that even arguing if I agreed with you? 

Jesus Christ man. 

The idea of a limited amount of people controlling huge tracts of land in a game in development with large expenses just isn't realistic.  Not unless said people are willing to pay massive sums of money for the privilege. I don't think that is a game any but the wealthiest among us would want to play.  The game needs to be fair for a large number of players and be able to sustain their play.

We stole countries with the cunning use of flags. Just sail around the world and stick a flag in. "I claim India for Britain!" They're going "You can't claim us, we live here! Five hundred million of us!" "Do you have a flag …? "No..." "Well, if you don't have a flag, then you can't have a country. Those are the rules... that I just made up!”

😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

These ideas are mainly for PVE servers...

1. Each island/grid should be sliced into preset grids (squares) just like the main Atlas map. A claim is a square and is set/unchangeable and does not over lap. Yes, this will mean some grids have less usable space.

2. Claiming/declaiming should work anywhere on that claim grid. So an object blocking the flag is not a factor.

3. PVE servers, a reasonable claim limit should be put in place. Maybe 4 to 8.

4. Any claim who's owner has not logged in in 28 days (4 weeks) is auto deleted. Any auto deleted claims has all player dropped objects auto deleted and containers (lockers) returned to the owners inventory. Any played having auto returned items should receive an 8 hour weight restriction override to relocate if they return.

5. Any claim that has not had the owner stand on it in 14 days can be declaimed by someone else.

6. 5 gold per day up keep that can be paid up to 45 days in advance. Not refundable if claim is lost. First claim free.

7. Claims can be deeded over to a company or held private. This allows company members to drop items (if perms given).

8. 15 Claims max per company. Only acquired by a member deeding a personal claim to the company. Still counting against the members count and subject to the same auto delete rules (if that member quits, that claim is auto deleted and cleared at 28 days).

9. To leave some open space. Some percentage (maybe 25% - 33%) of each grids land mass is not claimable or buildable. Perhaps every 3rd or 4th claim line top to bottom through the grid is unclaimable.

10. Each claim should have (2) 14 day lock out periods per year. Selected by the owner for planned vacation/away time. During those lock out periods the claim cannot be taken.

11. Claims can be sold or transferred.

12. Remove all sea claims. Why should any player pay a percentage of kill loot to another player?

13. Disallow all forms of player to player renting/leasing.

These ideas are mainly for PVE servers.

7 minutes ago, Buck Rider said:

These ideas are mainly for PVE servers...

I don't agree with all of those but it's an interesting list.  What is the upkeep needed for if you have all the other rules?  What problem does it fix?

2 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

I don't agree with all of those but it's an interesting list.  What is the upkeep needed for if you have all the other rules?  What problem does it fix?

Just to slow people from taking land they never use.

2 minutes ago, Buck Rider said:

Just to slow people from taking land they never use.

If there's a claim limit, that handles it.  Everybody who pays for the game gets X number of flags.  If they keep playing and visiting their claim they get to keep the flags.  If they quit the flags expire.  Why should we care if they use it?  Sometimes it's better if they don't!  (More resources...looks nicer with less crowding)

7 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

If there's a claim limit, that handles it.  Everybody who pays for the game gets X number of flags.  If they keep playing and visiting their claim they get to keep the flags.  If they quit the flags expire.  Why should we care if they use it?  Sometimes it's better if they don't!  (More resources...looks nicer with less crowding)

Just in general, if you are not going to use it, why have someone drop a shipyard and some lockers that just sit there forever. If they are going to use it, then great. If not, I think open not built on space adds to the game for everyone. Take what you plan to use, don't just take because you have claims available.

I live on a lawless now where you can't see 1/4 mile of beach due to ship yards. Mostly owned by two companies and I've never seen one in use. And I never see those players. Looks like crap. I bet that area would look nice as an open beach.

Oh and a lot of those timers expired a 6pm tonight. Alexa is already set to remind me.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

You can do that with circled claims. :classic_blink:

And the claiming process could be done through the interface rather than a flag. Just below the discovery area text, a second line for that claim that's clickable with a menu.

And/or a 2 meter no build border within the claim might be a good idea.

39 minutes ago, Buck Rider said:

Just in general, if you are not going to use it, why have someone drop a shipyard and some lockers that just sit there forever. If they are going to use it, then great. If not, I think open not built on space adds to the game for everyone. Take what you plan to use, don't just take because you have claims available.

I live on a lawless now where you can't see 1/4 mile of beach due to ship yards. Mostly owned by two companies and I've never seen one in use. And I never see those players. Looks like crap. I bet that area would look nice as an open beach.

Oh and a lot of those timers expired a 6pm tonight. Alexa is already set to remind me.

Because with claim limits, everyone's entitled to X number of claims and they get to use them however they want.  Making them pay gold for it doesn't make them use it if they have a good reason not to.  It's more a "I'm going to make this so annoying for you that you quit" mechanic, and I'm guessing that's not what the game really needs right now.  The problem is, it'll also make active players like me quit too.  Remember how much everyone complained when they started the FOY because it was "just one more damn thing I need to do before I can do the things I want to do"?  Getting gold to pay for claims is like that for some of us.  I have around 100 gold total right now.  I've not spent any on anything, so I guess that's how much I've gotten since day 1 (minus a bit of loss when the SOTD sunk my boat).  

I think between the inactive claim timers and a claim limit, that may fix the problem.  It's worth waiting to see how things look after the timers, and then after a limit, and seeing if more needs to be done.  No need to hit it with a sledgehammer all at once and make people crazy (crazier) again.

4 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

Because with claim limits, everyone's entitled to X number of claims and they get to use them however they want.  Making them pay gold for it doesn't make them use it if they have a good reason not to.  It's more a "I'm going to make this so annoying for you that you quit" mechanic, and I'm guessing that's not what the game really needs right now.  The problem is, it'll also make active players like me quit too.  Remember how much everyone complained when they started the FOY because it was "just one more damn thing I need to do before I can do the things I want to do"?  Getting gold to pay for claims is like that for some of us.  I have around 100 gold total right now.  I've not spent any on anything, so I guess that's how much I've gotten since day 1 (minus a bit of loss when the SOTD sunk my boat).  

I think between the inactive claim timers and a claim limit, that may fix the problem.  It's worth waiting to see how things look after the timers, and then after a limit, and seeing if more needs to be done.  No need to hit it with a sledgehammer all at once and make people crazy (crazier) again.

I agree with you. My idea was not to make it punishing. Rather to slow the taking and littering of unused claims. Also I would have the first claim free. Maybe it should be the first two claims. And then "power players" can have more but for a fee that might stop some of the littering.

That rate may be too much or not needed at all once it all shakes out.  

15 hours ago, Warlock said:

Just want to share my thoughts/idea about improving the Claim System.

- Each Player can only hold 1 Claim Flag in his inverntory.

- Claim Flags can not be stored in any containers.

- Claim Flag, that have been placed, require an upkeep of 1 Gold per hour. (First 24hours free)

- Claim Flags can be purchased at freeports at a cost of 50 Gold. (again only 1 can be in the players inventory)

- Claim Flags wich run out of Gold decay within one hour.

Implementing this change should be easy because it is retroactive.

I think this way is very practical for both PVP and PVE.

For new Players they would start with one Claim flag in their inventory, sail to an island, place tthe flag. Take care of the required upkeep.

For existing players they would have to feed their existing Flags with Gold.

From then on... for further expansion, they would travel to a freeport. purchase an additional flag...

What do you think about this approach?

Good ideas but flags need to have a upkeep that exponential increase in gold per the number of flags you have.  If you have 500 flags your are probably making almost the upkeep in taxis per day. 

15 hours ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Claim flags should not have a gold requirement. The last thing this game needs is to make solo players constantly hunting gold just so they can keep their claim.

I don't disagree, but as a solo player doing maps I have like 25k gold just gathering dust in a box.

We had an interesting claim system in Life is Feudal. Although the game itself is an actual nightmare, the claim system could be adopted. 

The guild, company, clan, tribe, whatever -- gets one company claim. This claim expands over time as it is upgraded. Company claims cannot be placed within X distance from one another to allow for maximum claim size without overlaps. Basically, each island would be parceled out. 

Then, each individual player gets a smaller player claim. They can be inside the company claim or adjacent, or anywhere else they wish. The personal claim is your personal claim, you are the sole owner of everything on it. 

Now this isn't to say that people can't exploit the system, split their large companies into smaller allied companies and accomplish much of what they currently have - large areas of land controlled by a single group. But you know what? That is always going to happen no matter how you slice it. If you add in an upkeep mechanic (stock it with gold, resources, etc.) that will keep the claim active otherwise it will start to decay.