Warlock

Claim Flag Rework Suggestion

Just want to share my thoughts/idea about improving the Claim System.

- Each Player can only hold 1 Claim Flag in his inverntory.

- Claim Flags can not be stored in any containers.

- Claim Flag, that have been placed, require an upkeep of 1 Gold per hour. (First 24hours free)

- Claim Flags can be purchased at freeports at a cost of 50 Gold. (again only 1 can be in the players inventory)

- Claim Flags wich run out of Gold decay within one hour.

Implementing this change should be easy because it is retroactive.

I think this way is very practical for both PVP and PVE.

For new Players they would start with one Claim flag in their inventory, sail to an island, place tthe flag. Take care of the required upkeep.

For existing players they would have to feed their existing Flags with Gold.

From then on... for further expansion, they would travel to a freeport. purchase an additional flag...

What do you think about this approach?

You could take out the freeport aspect, make it cost 50 gold to plant a flag and it has a 4 hour cooldown or something.

But honestly, I think the upkeep is 90% of what needs to happen and is big enough to try it first. Then see if more is needed.

Something simple would be requiring 500 or so wood (or other common resource) per flag, per week,  with the caveat that it would have to be physically deposited into each flag. It is a low enough amount of a common resource that people with a few claims could maintain them, but having to physically deposit in each would make it less attractive for megas with 100, 500, or 1000 flags.

Flags should also be able to have a buffer storage, say 1 extra weeks worth, so that people can go on vacation without losing everything they worked for a few hundred hours for.

1 minute ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Claim flags should not have a gold requirement. The last thing this game needs is to make solo players constantly hunting gold just so they can keep their claim.

then company up

1 minute ago, King Sinbad said:

then company up

No I won't company up. This game is not just about being in big groups. They have said plenty of times they are changing things to make it not so much of a struggle for solo and small companies.

So don't tell me to company up, i'll play the game the way I want to. If I'm not happy about something i'll speak up, rather than tell others how to play.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

That change alone would likely make another 10-20% quit. A few free flags is needed.

And you end up with the question again for the crowded lawless islands, why leave?

move your ass and look for flags that you ran out of time, if you had land you would not be here crying, how weird only those who want everything at the minimum effort, bagos or who only play 1 hour a day and want to have the same or more than the one who plays the most hours, say that those of the half of those who started left the game, their properties expire looking for them as we do the rest that we are not going to cry

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

No I won't company up. This game is not just about being in big groups. They have said plenty of times they are changing things to make it not so much of a struggle for solo and small companies.

So don't tell me to company up, i'll play the game the way I want to. If I'm not happy about something i'll speak up, rather than tell others how to play.

its a mmo not a solo game, cant cater to all the solo players every time.

52 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Claim flags should not have a gold requirement. The last thing this game needs is to make solo players constantly hunting gold just so they can keep their claim.

Unless everyone got 1-3 claims free of cost per steam ID.

Also as for paying for claims with gold, that just hurts the little guy starting out with his first 1 flag claim, and if you've covered a large area with flags you have steady stream of gold from taxing treasure hunters anyway. 

13 minutes ago, King Sinbad said:

its a mmo not a solo game

Where in massively multiplayer online does it say you have to play in groups or solo? All it means is it's an online game where there are other players. That's all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FruitBatCat said:

Where in massively multiplayer online does it say you have to play in groups or solo? All it means is it's an online game where there are other players. That's all.

the "multiplayer" part.... smh

2 hours ago, King Sinbad said:

its a mmo not a solo game, cant cater to all the solo players every time.

I am a solitary player, unlike many whiners, I have galeon at full, several brigantines and schooners, I have more than 10 flags after being 1 month controlling the inactive, I have domesticated bears and giraffes at the 1st attempt, (some useless say that taming is difficult, the useless word already defines the why) I get the gold that I want doing treasures by myself, who says that it is necessary to be more than one to enjoy an online game, only the useless, bagos or people who want slaves to do the job says that the game is not for solo players, if I need help there are players who can help you even if you are not in your clan, or solitary players can come together to face a challenge they can not do alone (95% of the content can be done alone)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, King Sinbad said:

Where in the definition of multiplayer does it mean multiple people playing together like in a company? No there isn't anything, the definition of multiplayer is playing together in a game which easily can mean 10+ people playing solo together on the same server.

So before coming up with the age old MMO rubbish, learn what 'multiple' and 'massive multiplayer online' actually means.

7 hours ago, FruitBatCat said:

Unless everyone got 1-3 claims free of cost per steam ID.

Also as for paying for claims with gold, that just hurts the little guy starting out with his first 1 flag claim, and if you've covered a large area with flags you have steady stream of gold from taxing treasure hunters anyway. 

If the lower number of flags such as 1-3 were free then that certainly would be a wise decision. Solo's don't need more than that in all honesty really. In fact they'd certainly not vneed more than that if they removed the overlapping issues.

7 hours ago, King Sinbad said:

You messed up with that response :classic_laugh:

Multiplayer has nothing to do with groups, it is merely the amount of players in a game. Yes groups can be good but it does not mean you have to be in 1.

I play with a friend and i get on well, i like doing my own thing. I find the more you have in the group over time you can lose interest, especially if others are saying "do this" "do that"

I like the freedom on my own, no big groups needed here.

7 hours ago, King Sinbad said:

Multiplayer just means there are lots of players doesn't mean u have to have a group 

I think about a simple Limit:

1 Sea Flag, 2 Land Flags per Person

Corps Limit:
1-5 Players = 1 Sea Flag, 2 Land Flags
6-10 Players = 2 Sea Flags, 4 Land Flags
11-20 Players = 2 Sea Flags, 5 Land Flags
21-35 Players = 3 Sea Flags, 6 Land Flags
36-50 Players = 4 Sea Flags, 7 Land Flags

Yes, you can build more when you split the Corp into alliances.
40 Players in a corp gets, 4 Sea and 7 Land Flags, you split in 2 alliances 20 Players per Corp, you have 4 Sea Flags and 8 Land Flags i think its a good deal, because some alliances can be broken or some people leave, so you have to choose split for 1 more flag, or be in a big corp.

With this count of Flags, it will be a lot of Land free. To hold your Place you need to be Online.
If no one from the Corp Online since 48 hours, a timer Starts with 72 Hours, after that you can reclaim the flag.

If a Corp Member is online after 4 Days, the Claim Timer stop at his time left so 4 Days Offline = 48 Hours Protection = 48 Hours gone from the 72 Hours Timer, the Flag has 24hours remaining. So if again all Corp members Offline for 48 Hours the Timer will start at 24hours remaining. You can reset the Timer with, dont know. Gold? Lots of Ressources? back to 72 Hours.

This is my spontan idea.

And yes, you get f*** when you go on holidays, so we need a Holiday Protection? Maybe a Skill you can use every 3 Months to activate 7 Days Holiday Protection before the 48hours and the 72hours timer starts, so the whole corp can be offline for 12 Days. But with some Player trolls they activate this with no need and you have 3 months cooldown, need some more idea/changes to have the system nice and clear

Edited by Thrandu
  • Like 1

I do like some of the solutions that limit the use of claim flags.  It is evident that claims should be more limited in general.  IMO players should be able to have an easy option to have a complete base (land or sea). Unlimited claims and easy claiming is contributing to the issue.

I think that any option that adds upkeep with gold or resources will just make it more difficult for solo and/or small tribes to play. While some people are of the opinion that Atlas should be for large companies only, the long term success of the game is going to depend on the diversity of players. Upkeep makes the game more of a grind for everyone as they have to focus on resources to maintain claims. Most players would rather to spend resources and funds on new things.  If an upkeep option is instituted I implore Grapeshot to allow an option for server owners to disable upkeep. 

I believe decay should be tied to inactivity. If players don't play and go to claims they should decay and disappear without being contested. Is there really a good reason behind having to contest flags for inactive players? 

32 minutes ago, Thrandu said:

I think about a simple Limit:

1 Sea Flag, 2 Land Flags per Person

Corps Limit:
1-5 Players = 1 Sea Flag, 2 Land Flags
6-10 Players = 2 Sea Flags, 4 Land Flags
11-20 Players = 2 Sea Flags, 5 Land Flags
21-35 Players = 3 Sea Flags, 6 Land Flags
36-50 Players = 4 Sea Flags, 7 Land Flags

There does need to be a limit to the amount of claims a company can have and having a sliding scale per size of membership is probably the most fair way to do it.  The amount of claims could be hotly debated. If a company limit is added the ability to modify it should be given to server owners.

I realy like to see a Claim system that has the possibility for empty or low population flag islands.
Untouched beaches, no shipyard spams and lots of ships around the beach.

You have more fun to explore a new Island, sometimes you find a big building from a player, or nice other stuff...but with this claim system all Islands are Claimed. A lot of ships and shipyards. Big Gates to block people out from a big mountain, its not funny to explore a new island, or you found a completly emtpy of ressources island because massive pillar or foundation spam.

I dont get the point from "game design" that they like to see 100% of the Map can be claimed. We need untouched Islands (except Golen Ruins/Freeport)

• Like 1

Limiting how much land a clan can have in a sandbox MMO with the main focus in conquest, it would be the dumbest thing these guys could do, and the nail in the coffin for this game. Make the game so you can play other roles without the need to even have any land based structures, and then solos and very small groups of casuals would get something to do.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, znasser said:

Limiting how much land a clan can have in a sandbox MMO with the main focus in conquest, it would be the dumbest thing these guys could do, and the nail in the coffin for this game. Make the game so you can play other roles without the need to even have any land based structures, and then solos and very small groups of casuals would get something to do.

Have to agree, they need to make not having land more viable. As it stands living out your existence on a ramshackle sloop isn't much fun.

That said, one of the core visions for the game includes building a vast empire that spans the entire atlas. Imposing a hard limit on the number of claims a company could have would make their vision impossible to achieve, and would discourage company merges if you knew that all your claims would be gone if you merged.

If they do implement some kind of limit, I'm hoping it would be time based, not number based. As in a company can only place one flag every 24 RL hours, and all claim flags have some degree of upkeep to maintain them. If you leave a company, it starts your 24-hour cooldown on placing flags, and you can't merge until 48 hours have passed since your company's last claim flag was placed.  That will somewhat help mitigate some of the possible loopholes.

Such a system would make it so everyone can grow at the same rate, but the larger your company the more people you have wanting to place flags so more communication and organization needs to be in place to decide what the next place to get a flag will be. It will make people think twice about placing down a flag just to cover resources, or take that random spot to put a bed down for people to fast travel to for discovery points. It will still be possible, but doing so would be sacrificing your ability to take more valuable land.

Let people continue to build a massive empire, but make it take a long time, hard work and good organization to achieve.

Edited by Kidori

12 hours ago, Shintai said:

That change alone would likely make another 10-20% quit. A few free flags is needed.

And you end up with the question again for the crowded lawless islands, why leave?

Not to be nit picky, but they are already at 80% drop so 20% would be 100% drop. I do believe the 10% you suggested would happen but nothing higher than that. The last 10% are going to be very stubborn people. The thing that will finally make the last 10% leave won’t be bugs or anything else.

it will be the fact that they never see anybody and never have anything to raid. That is what will end the last 10%

1 minute ago, Realist said:

Not to be nit picky, but they are already at 80% drop so 20% would be 100% drop. I do believe the 10% you suggested would happen but nothing higher than that. The last 10% are going to be very stubborn people. The thing that will finally make the last 10% leave won’t be bugs or anything else.

it will be the fact that they never see anybody and never have anything to raid. That is what will end the last 10%

10-20% of the current population is not everyone gone.

When are you going to buy and play the game instead of just posting? 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, Shintai said:

10-20% of the current population is not everyone gone.

When are you going to buy and play the game instead of just posting? 🙂

When it comes to Xbox. It not my fault they suck and can’t get it to console in a reasonable amount of time. Guess they are messing up in every way. 

Well you didn’t say current before in all fairness. If you want to change is to current then yes I will agree with you. 

But from your first statement 20% wouldn’t be possible