I am a fan of disabling fast travel outside of the zone. We want people traveling on the seas.

• Like 3

There are a lot of interesting ideas in this thread -- It's important to remember that there are two modes of play in this game... What works for PVP doesn't necessarily work for PVE (and vice versa) -- Also, what's easy for a hardcore player is not as easy for a noob or casual player. The Devs have made it clear that they are trying to remove barriers to entry, without nerfing the hardcore game... That's a hard balancing act.

Gold and upkeep -- later in the game, gold becomes less of an issue (depending a lot on your style of play). It's great for people that play all the time, terrible for noobs and weekenders. I'd call myself a mid-core gamer, and it took me several weeks to get to the point that I had the gear and means to do treasure maps reliably. I'm also part of a small company (3 pretty regular players, 3 weekenders, and 1 casual), and we have to spread our skill point pretty carefully to cover all the job requirement to survive comfortably in this game.

Taxes -- at 30% We make about 3-10 gold a day with sea claims in our zone... we make nothing off the taxes on our little spit of land. I think I got a potato and some fish oil once. Taxes only seem to work for large land owners near resource nodes.

I could see easily see this game world without taxes -- IF we get a working market system.

1 hour ago, Axden1 said:

I am a fan of disabling fast travel outside of the zone. We want people traveling on the seas.

ok you're a fan of disabling fast trips
I am a player of PVE I have bases in several servers, and I am a fan of not losing my time in traveling by sea from point A to point B and that takes 1 hour to have in the wind against, or to be aware of the storms that appear without previous notice followed by a fog that does not allow to see more than 15 meters away, which is in the sea in PVE? to have to waste time storms? mists? Ghost boats?
the sea I only touch to destroy ghost ships, go for treasures or transport merchandise, if I do not do any of that because I'm going to waste my time at sea to make a server change to go to another base ????

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, duque said:

ok you're a fan of disabling fast trips
I am a player of PVE I have bases in several servers, and I am a fan of not losing my time in traveling by sea from point A to point B and that takes 1 hour to have in the wind against, or to be aware of the storms that appear without previous notice followed by a fog that does not allow to see more than 15 meters away, which is in the sea in PVE? to have to waste time storms? mists? Ghost boats?
 the sea I only touch to destroy ghost ships, go for treasures or transport merchandise, if I do not do any of that because I'm going to waste my time at sea to make a server change to go to another base ????

I'm a player of PvE too. I have several bases in several servers too. I'm still a fan of no off server fast travel. Luckily for you it's currently in the game and they probably aren't changing it.

I understand the subject of navigation in PVP but in PVE today removing as I said that of making treasures transporting merchandise or destuir ghost ships, the exploration of all servers is laughable and tells you one that already passed through 50 servers It is boring and takes too many hours and more with the wind to find, or to have the wind in favor but just move the boat because of the low speed of the air being the sea in complete calm

What do you guys/ gals think about this idea?  

Let's look at this issue potentially from a medieval perspective.  If a zone is considered "lawful" (as opposed to a "lawless" zone), then it intrinsically must be policed by some sort of central government that creates and enforces these laws (like a kingdom with a king).  That government in itself could charge tax for any claims over a particular allowance.  The more land you claim, the more tax you are exponentially charged.    Whomever owns that land (who could be considered a lord, duke etc) needs to make use of that land in order to pay for it either by harvesting resources and trading, or by taxing (tithing?) other players (like a "serf" in medieval times).    Hording while not making use of land would not be worth it.  

Now, going on a tangent and expanding on this idea:

This type of setting could lend itself to some interesting MMO directions.  Firstly, pirates could revolt against the king and attack the kings ships.  So not only could you do battle with ships of the damned, but you could do battle against the king's ships which could be various sizes etc.  This could allow for some sort of "bounty system" for pirates and create a divide between "law abiding players" or loyalists, and actual pirates or rebels (ex. horde vs alliance).  Perhaps law abiding players can actually join the king and potentially hunt down pirate players and climb hierarchical titles such as lord, duke/duchess, prince, baron, earl, viscount etc.  There could be a "reputation" scale you climb which could get you discounts on game items, or allow you to get into certain quests etc.

This kind of setting can lead to some interesting campaigns and quests.  Pirate players might have a quest where they have to defeat king strongholds and kidnap someone of importance, or perhaps sink a king's galleon.  Loyalist players might have to find and deliver a certain type of plant to the king, or hunt down a particular pirate (maybe even any player that has a certain amount of bounty on their head).  Perhaps a quest could be to tame a particular type of creature and return it to the quest giver.

At this point Atlas would start looking like an actual MMO.

5 hours ago, Archsenex said:

Part of the big problem with the current design is that people feel the need (possibly rightly) to cover resources in claims.  Rather than making 1 or 2  claims on the coast, building their base, and then going inland to gather, they have their claims cover the resources.

A single player only needs a handful of claims, single digits, if they're ONLY using those claims to build a base.  Where a lot of the problems come from are people that are still operating in the mentality that you need a ton of claims to cover resources to make them "yours"

Capping per person also doesn't work because it doesn't tie activity to ownership.  You'll still have dead claims, that aren't being used for anything.  Gold makes a lot of sense as an upkeep resource.  Earning gold is insanely easy, just do a few maps literally while you're doing anything else, and you'll have the gold.  I can make 500 just during the course of sailing from one place to another by grabbing and doing easy maps.  Over the course of a week of standard play I'm rolling in 5000 coins personally earned, easy.

Resources, however, are too easy to get in large volumes, and all that will do is make people just turn up their taxes to force the schmucks who need to come gather pay for their ownership.  The upkeep resource can't be something that the territory itself just "takes care of" or you've done literally nothing.

and then u get assholes that will deliberatly go build on the resources nodes , hence we need claim flags on them to stop this happening , 

up keep cost is a great addition , also hoping they  overlap gives priority to the first flag down to stop players losing their bases 

i said it multiple times. the claim system is terrible and you have to change it BUT if you change it then ONLY together with a serverwipe. this is still early access and a server wipe is normal for ea.

gold cost per flag is not the solution because gold is too easy to get. everyone sits on tens of thousands of gold already.

1 minute ago, TheCoolGuy said:

i said it multiple times. the claim system is terrible and you have to change it BUT if you change it then ONLY together with a serverwipe. this is still early access and a server wipe is normal for ea.

gold cost per flag is not the solution because gold is too easy to get. everyone sits on tens of thousands of gold already.

It would help if you made people physically have to go to each flag to deposit gold, but I agree that it is stupid easy to get gold at the moment

1 minute ago, TheCoolGuy said:

Just requiring a small deposit of  a common resource like 500 wood, per flag, per week, that has to be physically deposited into each flag would do wonders for shrinking number of claims. A small company with 10 flags - 5k wood and running around to the flags the have on 1 or 2 zones. Easy, about a half hour of your time every week.

A mega with 500 claims...not so much. 250k wood isn't too bad to get for a high pop mega, but having to farm at each flag location? That's gonna take some time, either to stage, or to fast travel to each spot and farm.

17 minutes ago, Rucky said:

It would help if you made people physically have to go to each flag to deposit gold, but I agree that it is stupid easy to get gold at the moment

Gold is starting to be talked about as being used for too much...playershops, respec soup, cosmetics, crew upkeep, etc.

Not everyone wants to sail around doing boring treasure maps all the time.

Not everyone has the time, or is advanced enough to get there. Wood (or stone, or flint) is simple enough to get for even a newbie who lucked into finding a claim or two to get, with stone tools, if needed, as opposed to "Yay, I can claim this spot...oh, shit, I gotta find a map i can do...and figure out how to get to this spot...and build a boat big enough to carry the gold...and fight the AoD, etc...to pay for it." 

Just the act of physically going to each place, harvesting whatever resource there, and putting it in each flag is enough of a time sink for the people with ridiculous amounts of flags, doesn't penalize the little guys, or the guys whose bank doesn't magically fill with gold because they lucked out enough to sit on a high level treasure map area. Additionally, it makes taxes actually help pay for the land you have, and encourages you to set your taxes low enough that people actually want to farm there.

Edited by MeatSammich
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Sydhart said:

I hate to say this but any major change will probably require a full server wipe. We have no reason to be upset about this either as we all signed up/bought the game knowing this was in Alpha. It happened in ARK multiple times so I would expect it here.

A fresh start would be...refreshing? 

I could not handle the loss of all the rare materials I've acquired, and the loss of my ships that are all legendary or better on all ship parts.

I worked hard to gather it all, hunt the SODs, and build and paint the ships and sails.

I'm not some unambitious commoner who is complacent at plain common ships. 

Also, all my discovery points, the xp grind to level up...

Having to do that all over again? No thanks.

I also only have 5 land claims down. Two in one area as a main base and three at outposts for rare materials gathering. I'm not greedy, and I wouldn't be hurt by a claim change unless it took away what little I have.

I don't get it. Why don't you hit F1 on your keyboard and put your flag down and take their claim? It's really quite simple.

Anyways the best solution to dissuade over claiming is a gold upkeep which is likely to be patched in anyway soon. No one is going to want to hold islands in the distance which they don't use if it costs them a fortune each day in gold.

Edited by Bullet Force

I don't like paying taxes in real life, why would I want to pay them in a virtual game? 😆  Dramatically adding to over claim issue and not good for the many. 

Upkeep?  Don't think that adding to the grind is the best solution.  How about just tying it to activity.  Companies need to spend a significant amount of time in a claim to retain it. 

Why do we need players to contest claims?  Why don't they just go *POOF* do to inactivity?  Much easier way for new players to find a place to claim.  

There definitely needs to be a limit on the amount of claims per company/person. 

Edited by RenWmn

15 hours ago, Gorelander said:

The more land you claim, the more tax you are exponentially charged.    

just this basic idea is interesting. basically the opposite of how it is now, i like it.

15 hours ago, Gorelander said:

What do you guys/ gals think about this idea?  

Let's look at this issue potentially from a medieval perspective.  If a zone is considered "lawful" (as opposed to a "lawless" zone), then it intrinsically must be policed by some sort of central government that creates and enforces these laws (like a kingdom with a king).  That government in itself could charge tax for any claims over a particular allowance.  The more land you claim, the more tax you are exponentially charged.    Whomever owns that land (who could be considered a lord, duke etc) needs to make use of that land in order to pay for it either by harvesting resources and trading, or by taxing (tithing?) other players (like a "serf" in medieval times).    Hording while not making use of land would not be worth it.  

Now, going on a tangent and expanding on this idea:

This type of setting could lend itself to some interesting MMO directions.  Firstly, pirates could revolt against the king and attack the kings ships.  So not only could you do battle with ships of the damned, but you could do battle against the king's ships which could be various sizes etc.  This could allow for some sort of "bounty system" for pirates and create a divide between "law abiding players" or loyalists, and actual pirates or rebels (ex. horde vs alliance).  Perhaps law abiding players can actually join the king and potentially hunt down pirate players and climb hierarchical titles such as lord, duke/duchess, prince, baron, earl, viscount etc.  There could be a "reputation" scale you climb which could get you discounts on game items, or allow you to get into certain quests etc.

This kind of setting can lead to some interesting campaigns and quests.  Pirate players might have a quest where they have to defeat king strongholds and kidnap someone of importance, or perhaps sink a king's galleon.  Loyalist players might have to find and deliver a certain type of plant to the king, or hunt down a particular pirate (maybe even any player that has a certain amount of bounty on their head).  Perhaps a quest could be to tame a particular type of creature and return it to the quest giver.

At this point Atlas would start looking like an actual MMO.

i also like the policing idea to prevent offline raiding/griefing. i thinking someone mentioned something similar in another place drawing inspiration from Eve

there are some interesting things here, law enforcement (and fighting law enforcement), rep grinds: could have a loyalist rep and an unlawful rep with pros and cons for picking sides, more robust questing. certainly adds some MMO elements.

• Like 1