Sign in to follow this  
Bullet Force

Inability To Hide

This is the real issue with this game for small tribes not 'Offline raiding'. In ARK you could make a little hut in the jungle on some random server and the chances of someone finding you were fairly minimal and the same is true here. Bases in Lawless Islands can exist for weeks if not months without being found. So that part of the game is working, the same cannot be said for bases in claimed lands though.

However the problem with this game and one that ARK did not have is the total reliance on ships. Having a hidden base on some mountain is pointless if you have no access to ships and here in lies the problem. As each zone only has a max of 4 islands it is quite difficult if not impossible to hide your ship effectively for very long.

I'm not sure of a way to fix this problem as it seems to be a major design flaw with the game but one way that could help is to remove this silly idea that each zone can only have a max of 4 islands. Why not mix it up have zones with heaps of little islands scattered about and some with far less. 

Edited by Bullet Force

Why not find a company with land that will let you build a shipyard in their territory? Shared harbors have immense value for protecting assets. 

More little islands in some grids would make for a more interesting world, but it won't help as much for hiding ships as you might think.

OP is pretty accurate. lawless was a mess during the first few weeks, until companies became smart and moved on, or got wiped. Now, you really only see really shitty companies on lawless who keep getting wiped, or smaller taming bases. Until they implement their proposed fix for constant offline raiding (which I'm not for, but i am for improved gameplay), it will be next to impossable for you to have a ship for more than a few days . . . . which honestly is longer than it used to be, lol. Lawless isn't bad, but you won't get a true gameplay experience staying there. If you have a small company, DM me. We may be willing to work something out. 

If your talking to me for recruiting, I'm in a top 10 company atm. This thread was just to highlight an issue I think that is being missed.

I do wish the claims were not visible on the map.  I feel like finding a good hiding spot, even as a back up location for a building with reserve supplies, is pointless.  I figure they will just look on the map and say, Oh, they have a claim right there...go see what's in it.  Takes some of the ingenuity out of the game.

Wouldn't be necessary if the game wasn't set up to encourage, or allow, total wipes.  I really like the idea of limiting people much more on how many claims they can have, limiting the number of structures, and then making those structures like 50 times harder to take down.  This puts the emphasis on sea battles, and hunting your own island for intruders.  On official, I saw too many islands you just weren't going to get anywhere near.  I feel that as a result, I have more fun on unofficial.  While smaller in size, it plays bigger because I explore many different islands.  Nobody rings the island with large gates there.  I mean, so some islands have cool villages that I assume will have a reason to visit in the future, but who will be able to?  People spam claims all over and around them, and wall them off.  You will never be able to pull a ship into the harbors near them.

I've had a galleon unsunk in lawless for over a week now lol. Anyways, lawless is the easiest place to survive, maybe just dont pick the one with an abundance of resources and 30+players online?

If you want to hide there's servers where you'll be the only one online except for boats passing through once in awhile. There's some really really dead servers, and not just the ones with shitty resources either. 

Better than hiding however is defending. Puckle guns, creative use of landscape, and honeycombs. 

On 2/22/2019 at 9:57 AM, BurgsideTiger said:

OP is pretty accurate. lawless was a mess during the first few weeks, until companies became smart and moved on, or got wiped. Now, you really only see really shitty companies on lawless who keep getting wiped, or smaller taming bases. Until they implement their proposed fix for constant offline raiding (which I'm not for, but i am for improved gameplay), it will be next to impossable for you to have a ship for more than a few days . . . . which honestly is longer than it used to be, lol. Lawless isn't bad, but you won't get a true gameplay experience staying there. If you have a small company, DM me. We may be willing to work something out. 

Some of us actually enjoy the challenge and rewarding sense of accomplishment, playing solo. The devs said that they intend to make the game more balanced for all playstyles. be it,  solo, small, mid, large, and mega companies. 

Edited by vaylain
  • Like 2

Cheating ruins games.  I hate crap like Battle Metrics, or however it's spelled.  Why is it so hard for people to just play a game the way it is intended?  Same for the join notifications.  Yeah, so on your island, you should just automatically know somebody came to your grid?  No.  Actually seeing them visually should be your first clue they are there.  It's getting to the point that the best gaming experience is just a truly good single player game, like the Mass Effect Trilogy, Witcher 3, etc...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Cheating ruins games.  I hate crap like Battle Metrics, or however it's spelled.  Why is it so hard for people to just play a game the way it is intended?  Same for the join notifications.  Yeah, so on your island, you should just automatically know somebody came to your grid?  No.  Actually seeing them visually should be your first clue they are there.  It's getting to the point that the best gaming experience is just a truly good single player game, like the Mass Effect Trilogy, Witcher 3, etc...

I agree there is no need for join notifications. It doesn't add anything of value to the game but only removed a strategic component.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bullet Force said:

I agree there is no need for join notifications. It doesn't add anything of value to the game but only removed a strategic component.

But because of Battle Metrics, taking it out would only make it one sided, when somebody uses it, and somebody doesn't, or doesn't even know about it.  Battle Metrics wasn't made with a game like this in mind.  It was more for people to find their friends, and see which servers were active, etc...

1 minute ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

But because of Battle Metrics, taking it out would only make it one sided, when somebody uses it, and somebody doesn't, or doesn't even know about it.  Battle Metrics wasn't made with a game like this in mind.  It was more for people to find their friends, and see which servers were active, etc...

Battle Metrics isn't even that good I don't know why people glorify it. At the end of the days its a very basic app. I'm in a large company atm and this is the app we use its called the Raid Master.

atlas tracker2.jpg

It's a custom job. I and others designed it for the company. As you can see you can get access to a lot more data including pattern recognition which is where it truly leaves Battle Metrics for dead.