Sign in to follow this  
Abysian

New update pushed back

So,

As most of you will have seen, the big update has been pushed back to next month. That's another whole month of waiting, for simple things like the bookshelf etc. I'm not sure with you guys, but i don't think i will be able to wait another whole month on this update. This update is what kept me in the game, because i really wanted to see the new environment.  This is such a shame, this will loose more players. And by the time this update goes live, there will almost be nobody left. I really tried to enjoy the game, and i'm still trying. But damn they don't make it easy.

• Like 4

It is unfortunate but it is an indication that the patch is not ready to be deployed. It is the lesser evil to delay the patch than to roll it out with problems and then feel the wrath of the community screaming and shouting about incompetent Devs. 

The amount of complaints from the launch only 2 months ago should be firmly in people's minds; I am sure it is in the minds of the Devs.

Anyway, they have been working on other things and rolling out balance changes during the period we have been waiting and I expect that will continue. This also shows that they have been diverting resources away from the big update over to small patches that make the game stable, more balanced and generally more playable.

Still, sad to see the delays.

• Like 1

The sad reality is the update won't even make much difference because it is adding content in the wrong areas. It's mostly PVE stuff when the game desperately needs proper PVP content. More guns, more melee weapons, more ship types, more cannons and in general more variation. The game currently feels very basic and linear, a very simplistic game that feels more like a shell then a full fledged game.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Pizik said:

It is unfortunate but it is an indication that the patch is not ready to be deployed. It is the lesser evil to delay the patch than to roll it out with problems and then feel the wrath of the community screaming and shouting about incompetent Devs. 

Agree, but atleast bring out the smaller things. Like the bookshelf for example. I would be so glad finally be able to store the blueprints properly. and not in 50 boxes xD

3 minutes ago, Bullet Force said:

The sad reality is the update won't even make much difference because it is adding content in the wrong areas. It's mostly PVE stuff when the game desperately needs proper PVP content. More guns, more melee weapons, more ship types, more cannons and in general more variation. The game currently feels very basic and linear, a very simplistic game that feels more like a shell then a full fledged game.

I'm currently playing on PVE, but i tend to agree. More pvp things would be nice too.

• Like 1

I didn't even know until you said, that is such a shame. I was looking forward to it and it was kinda keeping me going knowing there was update soon.

Was looking forward to bookshelf for my maps and blueprints as well as the NPC traders in freeports. I wanted to see new underwater area with giant crab also.

I'm kinda of getting abit bored, it can get repetitive at times and there is nothing to do with the gold, no gold sink in game.

That does not fill me with confidence knocking it back like that, it was the same with launch of the game. I wouldn't be surprised to realise its been put back again when next month comes.

21 minutes ago, Abysian said:

a very simplistic game that feels more like a shell then a full fledged game

Do you have a phone?  🙂

18 minutes ago, DannyUK said:

I'm kinda of getting abit bored, it can get repetitive at times and there is nothing to do with the gold, no gold sink in game.

Look through your BP and start crafting /upgrading, you will find the goldsink.

2 minutes ago, Talono said:

Well, i prefer to receive a balanced new major patch and can wait.

Same here, don't get me wrong. But according to this, it's delayed to ad extra stuff to it. 

He's not saying the update isn't ready yet, but more that they delay it, to at stuff. I feel like the revamping of the claim system and the offline raiding could be done in a separate patch, and don't really have to be in this one. 

I think the reason he gives is a good reason. Rather wait a bit longer so the major problem is solved. And tackeling offline raid looks like e pvp thing. Not a pve thing ;-). Also claim system is good for pvp and pve I think

1 hour ago, Abysian said:

So,

As most of you will have seen, the big update has been pushed back to next month. That's another whole month of waiting, for simple things like the bookshelf etc. I'm not sure with you guys, but i don't think i will be able to wait another whole month on this update. This update is what kept me in the game, because i really wanted to see the new environment.  This is such a shame, this will loose more players. And by the time this update goes live, there will almost be nobody left. I really tried to enjoy the game, and i'm still trying. But damn they don't make it easy.

Anyone familiar with Ark could have told you the moment they announced the update for Feb to expect it no sooner than St Patty’s Day. That’s just how it has always been with these guys.

1 hour ago, Bullet Force said:

The game currently feels very basic and linear, a very simplistic game that feels more like a shell then a full fledged game.

Yesh, it really does feel simplistic and basic, almost like a game only 2 months into a 2 year Early Access phase.

1 hour ago, DannyUK said:

Yeah, no gold sinks at all, except maybe the commodity Npc’s at Freeport’s where you can spend gold to exchange mats. That’s pretty much it. I mean I guess except for the cost of upgrades to gear also. That one can actually be a pretty decent gold sink when you start upgrading higher end gear to bump its stats. But except for those two you’re right nothing. Unless you want to count the ongoing cost of NPC’s, which depending upon how many you have can easily get pretty massive and is ongoing unless you completely give them up. Unlike other sinks you just keep paying it and paying it in a never ending sink.

So really, apart from the roads, the currency, the aqueduct and a well run government, WHAT have the romans ever given us? That’s what the Judean People’s Front wants to know.

Sorry the People’s Front of Judea.

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Anyone familiar with Ark could have told you the moment they announced the update for Feb to expect it no sooner than St Patty’s Day. That’s just how it has always been with these guys.

Yesh, it really does feel simplistic and basic, almost like a game only 2 months into a 2 year Early Access phase.

I know its still early but all the indications are that is what the final product will more or less look like. If I compare this game for instance to ARK, that game had new dinos and new content being added to the game just about every week.

What is even more troubling is that ARK did all the hard ground work for this game. The building system, the gun system, the tribe system, the bed system, the taming system, the breeding system, the inventory system even a lot of the items and creatures are more or less copies from ARK. All that is new in this game is the transition system between servers and the boat physics. Given that this game more or less had all the hard work done for it I find it strangely odd that it still has far less content then the game which had to do all of that...

2 hours ago, Bullet Force said:

Well I guess you play PvP right? Cause if you play PvE then I don´t get your comment. PvE is mostly dead. What do you actually do there?

You build, you visit islands and you farm some EXP and SOTD. There are no challenges or enemies that are actually worth fighting except maybe kraken. 

PvE is utterly boring and I often wish that we had at least 1 PvP server in our PvE grid to sink some ships while fighting people to have a reason to build new stuff. 

In PvE you never lose ships or anything, nothing attacks your base so you never need to build defenses etc. 

Taming and breeding is boring as hell and the variation on stuff you can actually tame and use in a useful way is very limited. 

PvP has actually the biggest content right now because people can fight each other and then rebuild etc. (like they have a reason to build and farm)

For PvE what reason do you have except you think "I must have a big base that looks like a city. It has 0 use and I will never need it for anything except good looks)

My neightbors have a fucking fleet of ships and it just gets more and more because they build and build and build. That´s the only thing they can literally 

do at the moment. 

What do you do with gold from treasure maps? Nothing in PvE .. you buy a bit of crew and maintain them for ages. 

Just now, Bullet Force said:

I know its still early but all the indications are that is what the final product will more or less look like. If I compare this game for instance to ARK, that game had new dinos and new content being added to the game just about every week.

What is even more troubling is that ARK did all the hard ground work for this game. The building system, the gun system, the tribe system, the bed system, the taming system, the breeding system, the inventory system even a lot of the items and creatures are more or less copies from ARK. All that is new in this game is the transition system between servers and the boat physics. Given that this game more or less had all the hard work done for it I find it strangely odd that it still has far less content then the game which had to do all of that...

Ummm, what indications? Sorry but I find that to be a largely unsupported assertion that you’re just throwing out and expecting to be accepted at face value. I was present for all but the earliest part of Ark’s EA and to say they had new content coming out weekly is a pretty significant overstatement. It was far closer to monthly and a LOT of Ark’s updates got pushed back as well. Ark changed VASTLY from the beginning of its EA to release. It is entirely reasonable to expect there will be a great deal of changes to Atlas from now to release.

I do agree that given how much ground work Ark laid it’s disapointing they seem to be reinventing the wheel in some areas and making mistakes like the initial design of the claim system that leave one wondering if they learned anything from Ark at all. But dismissing boat physics as an afterthought of new game development is hardly fair when its a core mechanic. 

5 minutes ago, Mephos said:

Well I guess you play PvP right? Cause if you play PvE then I don´t get your comment. PvE is mostly dead. What do you actually do there?

Yes I'm strictly a PVP player.

In PvE you never lose ships or anything, nothing attacks your base so you never need to build defenses etc. 

Taming and breeding is boring as hell and the variation on stuff you can actually tame and use in a useful way is very limited. 

You build, you visit islands and you farm some EXP and SOTD. There are no challenges or enemies that are actually worth fighting except maybe kraken. 

PvE is utterly boring and I often wish that we had at least 1 PvP server in our PvE grid to sink some ships while fighting people to have a reason to build new stuff. 

That's a PVE wide problem that isn't just specific to this game. When you play a game mode that basically has no real challenge then its obvious at some point players will get bored.

Isn't that the whole point of PVE and why people play it. To have a peaceful safe space where they can't be hurt?

PvP has actually the biggest content right now because people can fight each other and then rebuild etc. (like they have a reason to build and farm)

Not really sure you can fight other players but after a while you realise there is a very finite way you can build your ship and design your base. There are only 5 ship types to choose from and of those only 3 are actually viable at all. The problem is the lack of variety and options for players. There is only 2 cannon types and 3 ships to work with. There isn't a whole lot of variety there and so battles more or less play out the same. The current meta is shotgun builds with a lot of cannons stacked on one side to instantly plank other ships. For SOTD it's a lot of cannons on the rear of your ship.

For PvE what reason do you have except you think "I must have a big base that looks like a city. It has 0 use and I will never need it for anything except good looks) 

It is funny you say this because I remember my first time setting foot on an ARK PVE server. I was curious to see what PVE players did so I spawned in and wandered around and was amazed at the lag and the strange play-style that existed over there.

I saw a player on the beach shooting rockets and tossing grenades at wild dinos (rather expensive items in ARK), there was also players using dinos that were of a substandard quality. Dinos that you would never bother with in PVP.  As well in general the bases seemed entirely nonfunctional,  over-sized and poorly designed and defended. Many bases were painted bright colors had no roofs or were made of glass (one bullet destroys that in PVP), while others were so large that you got extreme lag when you went near them. 

My neightbors have a fucking fleet of ships and it just gets more and more because they build and build and build. That´s the only thing they can literally 

do at the moment.

If you go to the ARK forum you will see thread after thread from PVE players complaining about their inability to tame more dinos, a clear symptom of the lack of attrition. Since no one ever loses anything, everyone keeps taming, breeding and taming until the server eventually hits its limit and no more is allowed. It is only logical that Atlas will have the same issues.

What do you do with gold from treasure maps? Nothing in PvE .. you buy a bit of crew and maintain them for ages. 

The main gold sink in PVP atm is the upkeep cost for NPCs both for ship crew and NPC's manning turrets around the base.

11600 peak yesterday, I have a feeling they are already moving developers to something else.

As someone in PVE it isnt boring as such you just have to make up your own content and finding a good sector with friendly neighbours is half the battle, you can and do lose ships especially when Whaling or going after high level SOTD.

Personally im rather pissed at the push back on this update. As someone who never played ARK I dont have much knowledge of these devs, but based on what i have seen so far its appalling how wrong and yet so right they can get stuff.

The original update needed to drop in the next few days, so many players I have spoken to were hanging on for that little tidbit. Yeah its odd but its human behaviour now, many gamers need that instant gratification in certain areas and that update was keeping them from leaving the game.

I understand the logic behind them pushing it back to "add more", well actually not so much as why not do 2 updates? Makes you look like you are doing more.

Im just at the point i dont know where im going to go with this game, 700 hours in and im finally getting to the point of why bother? Both PVP and PVE seem undervalued and are in essence 2 different games. The devs just cant seem to get anything out without something breaking parts of the game. New content is pushed back as they want to add more...sick of tames dying as they load too soon before structures. Galleon is now having issues where you cant seem to place all the ceiling tiles to fill in the deck holes. Not enough land even on lawless.

In all fairness PVP does seem to be suffering more than PVE. 

I want this game to be good, it has great potential and a great premise, just a shame the devs dont actually understand the player base and what the game actually needs.

4 minutes ago, Seren Du said:

The original update needed to drop in the next few days, so many players I have spoken to were hanging on for that little tidbit. Yeah its odd but its human behaviour now, many gamers need that instant gratification in certain areas and that update was keeping them from leaving the game.

Agree, the only reason i stick along was for this update. All my company mates already quit, and were planning to come back if the update was here. Well guess they won't be playing anymore now. And i'm not sure if i'm able to stick around until then. I can't figure out why they should delay this update, to add revamping of the system. That should be a different update all together. They are pushing the players out, instead of attracting more.

That's a PVE wide problem that isn't just specific to this game. When you play a game mode that basically has no real challenge then its obvious at some point players will get bored.

I played ARK PvE for thousands of hours. Only taming kept me bussy yet alone all the bosses and the dangers etc. 

Honestly I just want the bookshelf. I'm just hoping they squeeze it in one of the smaller patches because seriously there's no reason for it to be delayed. I've been holding off on a map room because we were waiting for the bookshelf. I now have a forge full of maps I don't have any room for. Lol

Just now, EloraDonovan said:

Honestly I just want the bookshelf. I'm just hoping they squeeze it in one of the smaller patches because seriously there's no reason for it to be delayed. I've been holding off on a map room because we were waiting for the bookshelf. I now have a forge full of maps I don't have any room for. Lol

And it´s not like it require development. It´s copy/paste from ARK.

I really hate to hear the trench update is being delayed,  I was really looking forward to undersea stuff.

basically my whole company has stopped playing an I just feed animals. I don't think they'll be back  till the next update drops.

3 minutes ago, Defixio said:

I really hate to hear the trench update is being delayed,  I was really looking forward to undersea stuff.

basically my whole company has stopped playing an I just feed animals. I don't think they'll be back  till the next update drops.

Same here, and I doubt anyone is coming back. Much better games are coming and people are not looking back.

5 hours ago, Abysian said:

Agree, but atleast bring out the smaller things. Like the bookshelf for example. I would be so glad finally be able to store the blueprints properly. and not in 50 boxes xD

I'm currently playing on PVE, but i tend to agree. More pvp things would be nice too.

Are you honestly telling me you haven't just tamed cows and put all your BPs on them? Do that for light but spacious stuff like BPs, bolas and waterskins.

4 minutes ago, gadefence said:

Are you honestly telling me you haven't just tamed cows and put all your BPs on them? Do that for light but spacious stuff like BPs, bolas and waterskins.

And then play the game of whoever NPCs and tames went through the floor at this server restart?