Sign in to follow this  
Knivet

Taming isnt broken!

2 hours ago, Puppies4ever said:

Dude.

I dont know how many people and how many times we need to make you understand: TAMING IS FINE!!!

LuLz...really?  Search for two words, and set it to requite both words.  Stop acting like a fool.  I'm not the only one who thinks this system sucks.  And wrap your head around the fact that at best, only ten percent of a gaming community even reads the official forums.  Oh, but let's google reddit, shall we?  I don't post there, but a lot of people do.

AtlasTamingBroken.JPG

LuLz.  Tell us again how I am the only one...mkay?

2 hours ago, Salty Del said:

Sorry for the bit of a rant, but I’m getting tired of all these posts saying “early access is just an excuse,” or “this mechanic doesn’t work 100% the way I want it to, it’s broken.” That’s not constructive criticism and doesn’t help anybody. 

Early access is not an excuse for the animals sticking their heads through walls and biting your passive tames, and it's not an excuse for animals you bola, falling through structures.  This has been around for years in ARK.  It was not appreciated there, and not appreciated here.  Why is it even happening?  Is it really that hard for the code to say, "nope, there's a wall there, your head can't go any further in that direction."  Other games do this just fine.  So no, this is not an EA issue.  It's not a bug, or balancing issue.  It's lazy code.

9 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

LuLz...really?  Search for two words, and set it to requite both words.  Stop acting like a fool.  I'm not the only one who thinks this system sucks.  And wrap your head around the fact that at best, only ten percent of a gaming community even reads the official forums.  Oh, but let's google reddit, shall we?  I don't post there, but a lot of people do.

AtlasTamingBroken.JPG

25.12.18 and 27.12.18..........

Really? 😄

• Like 1

What else is lazy code?  Powered ships in a sailing game.  That's why we don't have sailing ship pirates to battle, or sailing ship merchants to pirate...it's too hard to code a moderately realistic sailing AI, it would appear, so better to have Corporate Luxury Yachts of the Damned, and weird little paddle wheeler merchants.  What else?  Nearly killing an animal to tame it because only a modder knows how to make an immersive taming system.  What else?  Offline raids being a thing, because coming up with a way to encourage PvP instead of PvO seems to be too hard.

While this game is EA, it is also based on ARK, and that has been around for years, and had many of the same problems, like the offline raiding.

1 minute ago, Puppies4ever said:

25.12.18 and 27.12.18..........

Really? 😄

That's just the first few links, dumb dumb.  But thanks for noting that it has always been broken.  Also, the player base has shrunk quite a bit.  Many of those people don't even play anymore.

We talked about taming here. Not about Atlas in general.

I checked your profil and you talk only bad about this game.

Maybe stop playing it?? 

18 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

AtlasTamingBroken.JPG

And again. Old posts from release date.  Then this guy with "bird taming is broken".....its not, people are just too lazy for tactics.

And then comes.........nothing. 

Oh boy 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Puppies4ever said:

We talked about taming here. Not about Atlas in general.

I checked your profil and you talk only bad about this game.

Maybe stop playing it?? 

And again. Old posts from release date.  Then this guy with "bird taming is broken".....its not, people are just too lazy for tactics.

And then comes.........nothing. 

Oh boy 🤣

AtlasTamingBroken2.JPG

AtlasTamingBroken3.JPG

AtlasTamingBroken4.JPG

I only post negative things?

AtlasTaming3.JPG?width=983&height=264

Au Contraire, but we already established that your reading comprehension sucks.

And please stop trying to insinuate that somehow you are in the majority, and I am not.  That somehow you are with the majority opinion.  The reality is that most people just aren't even posting here anymore.  The length of time that something stays on the first page is a whole lot longer than it used to be.  The amount of posts that get 20+ replies is down.
AtlasTaming1.JPG

AtlasTaming2.JPG

What I see are a few people repeatedly posting how the system is fine.  All of you claim to be selling tames.  Sounds like people trying to protect their niche.  Stop defending a system that looks nothing at all like taming an animal, and looks everything like animal abuse...and broken game mechanics, like indicators showing you can feed, when you can NOT.  You look like an idiot when you do that.

Owning you is getting old.

And FYI, I have talked about the ship battles being fun, the terrain being great, the sailing being great, when not interrupted by ridiculous things, and how being at sea often feels real, and that from somebody who has 5+ years of days actually at sea.

Edited by Captain Jack Shadow
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

AtlasTamingBroken2.JPG

AtlasTamingBroken3.JPG

AtlasTamingBroken4.JPG

First post, he is asking what he is doing wrong. Somebody explained him how to tame. DONE!!!!

Second post, another "why is exploit not allowed?"......

Third post, someone is blame range of tames when taming??^^ And??

Where is your "Taming is broken" proofs?? :)

I only post negative things?

AtlasTaming3.JPG?width=983&height=264

Nice from 22.12.18.......rly......again? :D

Au Contraire, but we already established that your reading comprehension sucks.

And please stop trying to insinuate that somehow you are in the majority, and I am not.  That somehow you are with the majority opinion.  The reality is that most people just aren't even posting here anymore.  The length of time that something stays on the first page is a whole lot longer than it used to be.  The amount of posts that get 20+ replies is down.
AtlasTaming1.JPG

AtlasTaming2.JPG

Explain what this picture means? Actually nothing.

What I see are a few people repeatedly posting how the system is fine.  All of you claim to be selling tames.  Sounds like people trying to protect their niche.  Stop defending a system that looks nothing at all like taming an animal, and looks everything like animal abuse...and broken game mechanics, like indicators showing you can feed, when you can NOT.  You look like an idiot when you do that.

I can proof that taming is not broken. I tame a lot, like the rest of the community. But there is still one person who thinks taming is broken :(

Owning

you is getting old.

And FYI, I have talked about the ship battles being fun, the terrain being great, the sailing being great, when not interrupted by ridiculous things, and how being at sea often feels real, and that from somebody who has 5+ years of days actually at sea.

GZ! Im working for the yacht industry for many years :) Sailing everything from dinghy up to 70 feets sailing boats. NAILED!

Honestly, what are you trying to do here?

You said taming is broken and the community showed you that you were wrong. When you realize that nobody listens to you and takes you seriously, you suddenly come up with other accusations and mistakes in the game. When nobody takes that seriously, you attack people personally and insult them. That just shows how helpless you are. It shows that you have long since given up against the community, but are still too blind to see it.

You want to be an adult? Then don't behave like an angry little child who doesn't get his lollipop.

YOU are the one who can NOT do it, everyone else can. Accept that. Accept that YOU can't.

I go as someone who can name and you stay as someone who cannot.

Dismantled!

Now I am done here :)

• Like 1

I think taming is fine... there is enough challenge to keep it interesting, but very doable. I would hate a game with no challenge, and hope Atlas doesn't continue to listen to the whiners.

I found a sweet spot with the Giraffe that seems consistent... belly crawl and put your head against the underside front hoof. I do have sneak maxed out, so not sure if it will work as well otherwise, but found that even if the Giraffe tried to hit me, he couldn't.

• Thanks 1

I believe taming is fine. I think it is hard to get some of the shoulder mounts but that's because I haven't put enough effort into it. I'm the only tamer in our small group of players but I haven't had many issues. Where I tame I've had to put additional barriers to keep out pesky cobras and scorpions. I started with a door frame trap but now I'm using fence posts and large gateways to tame. I can recommend a fairly open spot in (NA PvE )I9 to tame Elephants / Rhinos / Lions, pm/dm me.

Edited by DangerZone
punctuation & server info

45 minutes ago, Puppies4ever said:

Where is your "Taming is broken" proofs?? 🙂

Nope, that was just a few of them.  People do not like this taming system.  You are the exception, not the rule.  The fact that some of you claim to have sold a lot of tames is just proof of that.  You seek to protect that it seems.

Nice from 22.12.18.......rly......again? 😄

Hey dumb dumb, look again, that was the other guy's post.  I quoted him just a  day ago.  Again, your reading comprehension sucks.  Note that it says I posted that just yesterday.

giphy.webp

Explain what this picture means? Actually nothing.

Oh it means a lot.  Yes, you with your low like count, somehow seem to think you're with the majority opinion, and I am somehow an outlier.  You don't even know what that "Days Won 3," means.  It means that 3 times, I had the most liked content that day.  Normally I wouldn't even care about this, but you seem to want to try to use the tactic that somehow you are in step with the community, and I am somehow out of step.  This player base is shrinking, and I want to address the reasons it is, but you and a few fanboys want to defend it.  There are many opinions.  Some have called for taming to not even be a thing.  Others called for the crew to be utilized to harvest, instead of tames.  Some are not at all happy with the way tames are the primary means to fight now, and guns have been nerfed...probably unless you have a Legendary to Mythical BP created gun.  HOD, a very popular Youtuber who has made many videos on ARK and Atlas, made a recent video talking about his disappointment in the way tames are now the only viable means to fight, with guns being nerfed.

He mentions some strong points of the game.  Notice he doesn't mention taming as one of them.  🤣

I can proof that taming is not broken. I tame a lot, like the rest of the community. But there is still one person who thinks taming is broken 😞

Just because you CAN tame, does not mean the system is broken.  By your logic, if I CAN kill the Hydra with one blow from a sickle, that would mean that killing the Hydra is not broken.  I mean, I did kill it, right?  So it must be just fine.   You keep dodging the issue.  The issue is that the tames indicate that they can be fed, but they cannot.  And just because you chose to keep trying to find some arbitrary and ridiculous magical spot that the animal will allow you to feed it from, does not mean that the system is not broken.  How many new players...assuming you can get a new player, will try to feed, and try to feed, only to be killed, and then uninstall the game.  It's not like tens of thousands haven't already done that for various reasons, and gotten a refund in the process.

GZ! Im working for the yacht industry for many years 🙂 Sailing everything from dinghy up to 70 feets sailing boats. NAILED!

I've sailed in just about everything that can sail, up to and including, 6 U.S. Navy Aircraft Carriers.  Sailed in every ocean, most of the seas, all of the Great Lakes, and visited every continent except Antarctica.  What's your point, except to be contrarian?

You said taming is broken and the community showed you that you were wrong.

No, a few fanboys posted...that's not "The community."  And all they showed is that they like the present system.  Just because taming can be done, does not mean the system is not broken, and in serious need of being overhauled.  You have to be a deeper thinker to understand that, it seems.

When you realize that nobody listens to you and takes you seriously, you suddenly come up with other accusations and mistakes in the game. When nobody takes that seriously, you attack people personally and insult them. That just shows how helpless you are. It shows that you have long since given up against the community, but are still too blind to see it.

You have 20 likes.  I have ten times that many.  I have won the day 3 times, which means I had the most liked content those days.  You have won the day 0 times.  Tell me again how nobody listens to me, and how "the community" is on your side.  You are starting to sound crazy.  I attack you because of the nasty shaming tactics you try to use to silence people you disagree with.  Don't like it getting personal?  Don't start the personal stuff.

You want to be an adult? Then don't behave like an angry little child who doesn't get his lollipop.

Says the child trying to protect one of the most ridiculous game mechanics every made, and has to make things personal just because you disagreed.  Grow up.

YOU are the one who can NOT do it, everyone else can. Accept that. Accept that YOU can't.

Again with your idiocy.  I tame creatures in this game.  I do NOT enjoy it.  From the ridiculous non immersive animal abuse nature of it, to the lazy fix for their own bad code.

Dismantled!

Hardly.

Now I am done here 🙂

You were done before you started, because all you did was defend a game mechanic that is ludicrously non-immersive because you don't repeatedly nearly kill an animal to win it's loyalty in real life.  And at the same time, defending code that is broken, like indicating the tame can be fed while it can't.

Now run along while the adults continue the conversation.

38 minutes ago, Telly said:

I think taming is fine... there is enough challenge to keep it interesting, but very doable. I would hate a game with no challenge, and hope Atlas doesn't continue to listen to the whiners.

I found a sweet spot with the Giraffe that seems consistent... belly crawl and put your head against the underside front hoof. I do have sneak maxed out, so not sure if it will work as well otherwise, but found that even if the Giraffe tried to hit me, he couldn't.

15 minutes ago, DangerZone said:

I believe taming is fine. I think it is hard to get some of the shoulder mounts but that's because I haven't put enough effort into it. I'm the only tamer in our small group of players but I haven't had many issues. Where I tame I've had to put additional barriers to keep out pesky cobras and scorpions I started with a door frame trap but now I'm using fence posts and large gateways to tame. I can recommend a fairly open spot in I9 to tame Elephants / Rhinos / Lions, pm/dm me.

So you both like the animal abuse manner in which you convince an animal to be loyal to you?   Got it.

1 minute ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

So you both like the animal abuse manner in which you convince an animal to be loyal to you?   Got it.

You're saying that you want the taming system to change because you believe it is animal abuse?

22 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

all you did was defend a game mechanic that is ludicrously non-immersive because you don't repeatedly nearly kill an animal to win it's loyalty in real life. 

I think it's ludicrous to complain about real life fallicies in a fantasy game...  you couldn't really ride a tiger or wolf in real life carrying a bunch of gear wearing plate, but we all decided to play along.  Having SoTD isn't real life, but we play along... to get all hung up over the torture of animals in a game that has hangings, guillotines, handcuffs and various other crimes of humanity, is a bit weird.

Edited by Telly

1 minute ago, DangerZone said:

You're saying that you want the taming system to change because you believe it is animal abuse?

I'm saying it is not immersive because it looks more like animal abuse, than anything that ever actually tamed a wild animal in real life.  And I also don't like the buggy aspects.

6 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

EA is not an excuse for animals glitching through walls.

Acktually... yea it is.

Just now, Nari said:

Acktually... yea it is.

No, it's not, because this was a known issue in ARK, for years, and never fixed, which implies they likely won't do so here, either.  Many of the negative aspects of ARK have made their way to this game, such as player constructed objects not spawning in until you are ridiculously close.  Do they really not know how to make LODs?

5 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

No, it's not, because this was a known issue in ARK, for years, and never fixed, which implies they likely won't do so here, either.  Many of the negative aspects of ARK have made their way to this game, such as player constructed objects not spawning in until you are ridiculously close.  Do they really not know how to make LODs?

They have priorities that don't align with yours. So what?

Pointing out the fact that we're in an EA trial period, for 2-3 months out of a predicted 2 years mind you, is NOT an excuse. It's a fact.

edit: Seems to me you just like correlating the two.

Edited by Nari

16 minutes ago, Nari said:

They have priorities that don't align with yours. So what?

Pointing out the fact that we're in an EA trial period, for 2-3 months out of a predicted 2 years mind you, is NOT an excuse. It's a fact.

edit: Seems to me you just like correlating the two.

I don't think you understand.  Let's say a football player with 5 years experience, joins a new team.  He had a history of fumbling at his old team, and somebody complains that he is fumbling the ball too much, 2 months after he joins the new team.  So somebody tries to defend him by saying, but he's new, give him a chance to get better.  But you see, he's not new.  He has been playing for 5 years, and has always fumbled, so he isn't fumbling because he's new to the team, he just has a problem with fumbling.

Same thing here.  This is not new.  This game engine is not new.  It's not 2 months old.  You might have a point if these were new additions to the ARK engine, but they are not.  They are relics of it.  I am voicing my opinion because I want to see the early death of this game prevented.  Unlike many who uninstalled the game, and demanded, and got refunds, I am still here, hoping these things get fixed, and the game gets good reviews in the future, which will bring the players back.

1 minute ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

I don't think you understand. [snip]

Same thing here.  This is not new.  This game engine is not new.  It's not 2 months old.  You might have a point if these were new additions to the ARK engine, but they are not.  They are relics of it.

I don't think you understand how development works and where they started from when creating Atlas. The only accurate part of that horrible comparison is "They are relics of it."

You're free to voice your opinion and please keep doing so, but if that opinion is EA = Excuse people will call you out.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nari said:

I don't think you understand how development works and where they started from when creating Atlas. The only accurate part of that horrible comparison is "They are relics of it."

You're free to voice your opinion and please keep doing so, but if that opinion is EA = Excuse people will call you out.

And people keep calling out those that use EA as an excuse for everything.

I do understand that these issues were never fixed in ARK, and now show up in this game.  So excuse those of us who are not confident that they will ever be addressed.

I would like to see LODs, because one of the things I liked about ARK, and love about this game, and even believe they improved on, is the visual aspect of the scenery.  I have told others that outside of the ridiculous cyclones, the game really captures what it looks like to be at sea.  And  I think the landscapes, on many islands, are very good, and good looking.  Some of the islands need work...they look like large piles of stone blocks dropped in a pile, from a distance.  But those, and the islands that look like multiple huge pillars, are at least interesting in a fantasy aspect.  I don't like that they look barren from too far of a distance, and then suddenly trees start popping in.  And, I don't like using a spyglass to examine a coastline for ships, and see nothing, only to get 400 meters away and suddenly ships start popping in.  So yeah, I am going to voice my opinion on that.  The one thing the EA excusers seem to forget that our feedback is part of the process of EA.  If nobody ever complains about the lack of LODs, it's unlikely they will see it as something to invest time and resources into.  Even then, I don't know if it will get fixed.  Many people in ARK complained about the bases not having LODs, causing them to visually pop in, giving away their location too easily, and that is still an issue to this day.

38 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

And people keep calling out those that use EA as an excuse for everything.

I do understand that these issues were never fixed in ARK, and now show up in this game.  So excuse those of us who are not confident that they will ever be addressed.

I would like to see LODs, because one of the things I liked about ARK, and love about this game, and even believe they improved on, is the visual aspect of the scenery.  I have told others that outside of the ridiculous cyclones, the game really captures what it looks like to be at sea.  And  I think the landscapes, on many islands, are very good, and good looking.  Some of the islands need work...they look like large piles of stone blocks dropped in a pile, from a distance.  But those, and the islands that look like multiple huge pillars, at at least interesting in a fantasy aspect.  I don't like that they look barren from too far of a distance, and then suddenly trees start popping in.  And, I don't like using a spyglass to examine a coastline for ships, and see nothing, only to get 400 meters away and suddenly ships start popping in.  So yeah, I am going to voice my opinion on that.  The one thing the EA excusers seem to forget that our feedback is part of the process of EA.  If nobody ever complains about the lack of LODs, it's unlikely they will see it as something to invest time and resources into.  Even then, I don't know if it will get fixed.  Many people in ARK complained about the bases not having LODs, causing them to visually pop in, giving away their location too easily, and that is still an issue to this day.

As they should, EA is far from perfect.

I think it's clear at this point that EA is a double edged sword. Those that just say "It's EA" are ignoring valid criticism and those that say " Excuses" are just as ignorant.

Regarding clipping: I think you're confusing the collision issues with the collision mesh. I was there from day 1 in ARK. Fauna glitching through walls To The Other Side was a bug and it was fixed however because the collision mesh is a box that doesn't cover the head (for performance reasons) you still have issues with the heads clipping through and possibly biting you.

As for LOD's well they have also been improved over time. A simple search of the patch notes would show you that various LOD's have been adjusted in no less than 10 different patches. So just because you and others have complained about structures specifically with nothing to show for it implies that there's little they can do about it or something would have been done throughout those LOD patches. The obvious solutions to obvious issues are rarely "easy" or just a line of code.

If you want provide valuable criticisms on something as technical as Collision or LOD's maybe educate yourself about the engine and public aspects of the design first? Before making claims such as "We provided feedback and it's STILL not fixed" This has derailed this thread pretty hard so I'll digress.

If the UI says feed you should be able to feed. Period. To call it "Exploit Protection" is laughable.

Edited by Nari
  • Like 1