zottel

Galleon Useless?

So Dont get me wrong, i love my galleon but it seems Useless for fighting atleast in PVE. I use only gunports And Cannons there cause i absolutly hate those ugly front And backloader, but its sad that the way a galleon is right now its not worth fighting with. A full covered schooner with 5 Cannons can kill any sotd And get no damage, a Brig the Same And is even faster. So playing the normal way with a galleon seems Not worth it. And the Turning Takes so Long that u rather tank some dmg And Risk loosing planks .

play on a private server you will need a galleon, I been fighting sotds with 80k+ hp....with a common brig with common cannons, the math is 660 damage, not sure if that 660 damage changes on higher cannons or not, but 1200 damage multiplied by the number of cannons on a galleon is 52, 26 per side so it would be 1200*26=31,200+17,160=48360 damage and that's with the common cannons....

and if you get a mythical blue print for ship cannons they are generaly 250%ish in damage so that would be 1200+250%=4200+660=4860 damage per shot and multiple that by how many cannons, so if you have 26 of those on one side it would be a total of 109,200 just off the base damage,

large cannons are another story I seen 1900-3,000 damage a shot against them with common large cannons, but average 2400, take a blue print of 350% and do the math... the numbers will be godly

if I was on pvp still, id have a galleon with 52 large cannons all around 300% damage range and just face roll people cause they would be scared to get in close cause one volley would sink them

Edited by Coldpaws

Yeah but that wont work on official. Dmg is Not the Problem, its just covering a dumb schooner with Walls And backcannons is More effektive than a galleon with its normal build

I run a broadside only galleon in pve and I like it.  Yes, I take more damage than a cheese schooner, but I kill sotd WAY faster.  Watching those kite vids hurt.  Takes so long.  Yeah, I have to throw more repair mats at the thing but I can farm those with bear and elephant in less time than kiters spend getting into position. 

It's nice to just see a ship and just roll up next to it and blast it.

• Like 3

i run cannons on the back of my brig, i hate, hate, hate the look, but it's seriously easier than twisting and turning with the clunky controls solo, and honestly i can stay just out of range, and not take any damage it's kinda nice.

If you want the Pirate feeling and look cool killing SotD go for a Galleon. If you want to be efficient both with Gold and Mats use the ugly cookie-cutter shotgun Schoner/Brigg 😛 Side switching for NPCs is buggy and running a 58+ NPC Galleon to hunt SotD doesnt even cover the running costs sadly.

1 minute ago, Grongash said:

If you want the Pirate feeling and look cool killing SotD go for a Galleon. If you want to be efficient both with Gold and Mats use the ugly cookie-cutter shotgun Schoner/Brigg 😛 Side switching for NPCs is buggy and running a 58+ NPC Galleon to hunt SotD doesnt even cover the running costs sadly.

and the handling on a galleon to engage them is hilariously bad.

6 minutes ago, trqfreak350 said:

and the handling on a galleon to engage them is hilariously bad.

Yeah, and getting back to loot them is fun too.. Feels like i crossed the half sector by then 😛

1 hour ago, Archsenex said:

I run a broadside only galleon in pve and I like it.  Yes, I take more damage than a cheese schooner, but I kill sotd WAY faster.  Watching those kite vids hurt.  Takes so long.  Yeah, I have to throw more repair mats at the thing but I can farm those with bear and elephant in less time than kiters spend getting into position. 

It's nice to just see a ship and just roll up next to it and blast it.

It really doesn't take long at all and because you take no damage you can do multiple fights without needing to repair which also makes it cheaper. Until they up the velocity of cannon balls this kind of build will remain the meta.

Battleship PvE -> Schooner Shotgun build.

Galleon battleship is expensiv. You need a lot of gold for mainentance, materials etc.

Schooner Shotgun is cheap and better vs. Sotds.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zottel said:

So Dont get me wrong, i love my galleon but it seems Useless for fighting atleast in PVE. I use only gunports And Cannons there cause i absolutly hate those ugly front And backloader, but its sad that the way a galleon is right now its not worth fighting with. A full covered schooner with 5 Cannons can kill any sotd And get no damage, a Brig the Same And is even faster. So playing the normal way with a galleon seems Not worth it. And the Turning Takes so Long that u rather tank some dmg And Risk loosing planks .

If you are refusing to use chaser cannons because of asthetic objections, be advised that you are foregoing the easiest and most effective method for fighting SOD’s. Aggroing them and them pounding with chasers when they can’t hit you while following will save you tons on repair costs. As long as you have even a halfway decent wind this is a no brainer tactic. It’s entirely up to you, but you’re basically voluntarily giving up the most effective approach atm.

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, kampfer91 said:

Remember , good looks always at odd with good efficiency .

Clearly you have never seen my crossover dribble. It breaks ankles AND gets to the basket super fast. A thing of beauty and deadly efficient.

*preens*

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Haha 1

yes the shotgun schooners-brigs are the most ugly thing i see, however as its so effective i caved in and made one myself, taking no damage and not having to run all over the ship to look for the planks taking damage is making the game it more fun to hunt the sotd, but now i stopped as return of hunting sotd is not worth it and that again caused the population of SOTD to become a problem due to their numbers and no one bothering to hunt them anymore 

As some mentioned fixed gun placements might be a solution , tho then they also need to add different kind of planks : lightweight-medium-heavy  with different kinds of resistances/weight properties , to counter that people are exchanging broadsides with a target 

5 hours ago, ReilanT said:

Galleon need a Real sail set, 5 larg sail it's just ugly 😛 

Yes please!

I was going to open a thread about this need - but since I found this post I add my request here:

Please add galleon-sized masts so that we can create 3-masted galleons like they were in the real world. Putting 5 or 6 brigantine-sized masts on a galleon just look - uh . I don't want to spell out the expletive here. But it does not look good.

Even 104-cannon 1st class ship like the Victory (or the 130 cannon Santissima Trinidad) were 3-masters RL. No one put 6 under-sized masts on a ship of the line. Or a galleon for that matter.

If we are at wishing for sails: Would it be possible to have a slight variation in size and looks of fockmast, main mast and besan mast, like in RL? (so that the 3 don't look exactly the same) Pretty please? That'd look additionally awesome.

Edited by [*TGC*] Amris
clarification
  • Like 1

I stripped the guns out of our Galleon and use it for running rare resources... it can carry a lot and remain fast.

12 hours ago, zottel said:

If anything, this is not taken far enough.  Pirates preferred sloops and schooners...why?  Speed and maneuverability.  What did the British employ to hunt them down?  Schooners.

Are you aware that it is easy in real life for a Sloop, or Schooner of that period, to escape from a larger ship like a Brigantine, or Galleon?  Know why?  Better ability to sail into the wind.  Do you know what a "No-Go zone" is in sailing terms?  I'll make it easy for you.  In this game, it's when the arc for your sails, turn red.  For the bigger ships like a Galleon, or Brigantine, the no-go zone is much larger with their sail configurations, than it was for Schooners and sloops.  In other words, they could travel in a direction closer to the wind, which the other ship could not follow, thus allowing them to escape.   Sloops with 6 or 7 cannons were known to sink Brigantines with 3 to 4 times more cannons.  Why?  Sloops were almost impossible to hit using a Brigantine, if the skipper had even a clue what he was doing.  The maneuverability made them very hard to hit with a broadside.  This game seems to make that too easy to do.  One reason is that sails, large, medium, or small, turn at the same rate.  Not realistic.

• Like 1

galleons for sod killing purposes is a waste of time. especially with side cannons, thats a massive waste of ammo. as only a small % of them would effectively hit, not to mention who the heck wants the repair bill on a galleon taking side hits?

I did the sloop, but you are limited in how high an sod you can do. Speed of taking them down seems to matter for quality of loot.

I did a 9 large cannon schooner and that did a pretty good job, but would sometimes take quite a bit of damage.

Then i moved to an 18 large rear cannon 600ammo carrying brig.Then i went the extra mile and aligned all 18 cannons to hit a 1x1 foundation at max range. The results are that i not only not waste ammo but taking down sods solo is almost laughable.

I can 1 shot at max range anything under lvl 22. I can 2shot anything under lvl 40.

I'm running blue quality cannons. I have no armor, crew space of 28 and i run fast enough to outrun any sod with full ammo.

yesterday i took down at lvl 36 and 2 lvl 25+ at the same time, i think only the red managed to land 1 hit on me. the entire battle lasted like...4 or 5 reloads worth of time. by the time i was down to 15/400ammo, the biggest repair i did was 1 cannon that had lost 2k hp.

honestly i think the galleon is only good as a mass carry mule, not worth using as a sod killer.

3 minutes ago, Nokim said:

galleons for sod killing purposes is a waste of time. especially with side cannons, thats a massive waste of ammo. as only a small % of them would effectively hit, not to mention who the heck wants the repair bill on a galleon taking side hits?

I did the sloop, but you are limited in how high an sod you can do. Speed of taking them down seems to matter for quality of loot.

I did a 9 large cannon schooner and that did a pretty good job, but would sometimes take quite a bit of damage.

Then i moved to an 18 large rear cannon 600ammo carrying brig.Then i went the extra mile and aligned all 18 cannons to hit a 1x1 foundation at max range. The results are that i not only not waste ammo but taking down sods solo is almost laughable.

I can 1 shot at max range anything under lvl 22. I can 2shot anything under lvl 40.

I'm running blue quality cannons. I have no armor, crew space of 28 and i run fast enough to outrun any sod with full ammo.

yesterday i took down at lvl 36 and 2 lvl 25+ at the same time, i think only the red managed to land 1 hit on me. the entire battle lasted like...4 or 5 reloads worth of time. by the time i was down to 15/400ammo, the biggest repair i did was 1 cannon that had lost 2k hp.

honestly i think the galleon is only good as a mass carry mule, not worth using as a sod killer.

Used Galleon for mass carry or mass tame transport as well.

For fighting sotd we have schooner.

• Like 1

btw... galleon with 5 sails? you messed up your placement. They can run 6.

I run 4 large weigh sails that, blue quality that each add 1.4k weight= +5.6k

and 2 large master craft speed sails that each give me a +14.6% speed boost.

Ships on this game are really bad represented, IRL a galleon should destroy you in 1 hit.

19 minutes ago, Kero said:

Ships on this game are really bad represented, IRL a galleon should destroy you in 1 hit.

Yes, you are right. But only if it gets the hit 😉

• Thanks 1

We also only use our galleon as a freighter/mobile base in pve and use schooners/brigs for sod killing. I love the galleon as a mobile base, Im pretty sure its bigger then my base, lol, but I dont think I'll ever put cannons on it.