Sign in to follow this  
Olthoi

Any tips on earning discovery points? Im capped at 52

Im sailing about and that doesnt seem to be working.  The Wiki section at playatlas.com is empty on that.  Advice?  tips?  Info?

Thanks.

You have to make landfall on islands you haven't been to before. Each one gives one discovery point. There are also smaller discovery points on various islands. You can see them by looking through a spyglass, they have a glowing blue shell around them. Killing a whale, or being nearby when someone kills a whale, gives 50 discovery points one time for each of the two types of whale.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, strawman said:

You have to make landfall on islands you haven't been to before. Each one gives one discovery point. There are also smaller discovery points on various islands. You can see them by looking through a spyglass, they have a glowing blue shell around them. Killing a whale, or being nearby when someone kills a whale, gives 50 discovery points one time for each of the two types of whale.

Im making the landfall, maybe just havent done enough.  Ill kep chugging along

Edited by Olthoi

8 minutes ago, Olthoi said:

Im making the landfall, maybe just havent done enough.  Ill kep chugging along

If you're getting the little scroll-looking popup with the island name, you're getting the points. It's about 24 discovery points for a new level

Invest in Spyglasses.  Every Discovery is inside a little bubble that you can see with a spyglass (except arches, which are a film inside the arch like soap).  Being able to see them is huge.

After that.. you just need to do a LOT of them.  Make friends.  Being able to FT to each others boats really helps.

• Like 1

Just now, Archsenex said:

Invest in Spyglasses.  Every Discovery is inside a little bubble that you can see with a spyglass (except arches, which are a film inside the arch like soap).  Being able to see them is huge.

After that.. you just need to do a LOT of them.  Make friends.  Being able to FT to each others boats really helps.

Thanks, perfect.  Im at 44 points I see now.  Still cant level.

Well , you gotta sail on your fastest ship and bring with you a spy glass .

You can check for disco on an island by looking through spy glass and see if there is a blue forcefield , that is where the disco is .

Exploring is quite fun. 

I wish that there was an in-game log for discovered resources on the various islands. I imagine that a proper captain would keep a log, on board.

"Day 659. Make landfall on Broface Skerry in the temperate zone. While searching the island, I located silver and rubies. There appear to be some maple trees that I could probably tap for syrup, and I see many tortoises and snakes along the shore."

That would add a bit of flavor to the game over the long run, rather than just have a full screen popup of "DISCOVERY FOUND BROFACE SKERRY" Each discovered resource or item could add to the flavor text for the island. 

This would be a very nice way to stockpile data for resource gathering and hold it in game, rather than in a 3rd party wiki.

There are 3 types of whales btw.

Gentle - you can find one in Tundra (x2 and x14 regions). They not aggroing, just swim circles.

Monstrous - you can find alot in arctic (x1 and x15 regions). They aggro at U before U actually see one.

Mean... I personally didn't find one, and don't know much about them. Buy some say - they aggro too.

U need a ship with ballistas turrets on a stern (at least 2...) and for about 80 spears for each whale (around 50-60 hits are usually enough to slain one but you might miss or sometimes spears just hit invisible wall above whale and stuck there, I took 100 just to be sure I kill one). So Gentle is tricky - you need to position yourself properly, wait until he swim into you fire radius and shoot. Or things are way easier if you have ballistas on ship's nose.

Mean and Monstrous - just kite them and shot from sterns. Do not kite too close to a border - they do turnovers and if they hit a border - they despawn. When they turn around - just stop and wait when they back. Easy. (just beware of SotD especially in arctic - tons of them, and bring a fur clothes there is a good option).

Every first kill of 3 types of whales gives you 50 disc-poins (+2 max lvl and some extras). 

Also - Powerstones gives U more (some say 50 for every one - wiki sais it's 10) Krakren gives you 150 disc-points - if you join the raid, and you success.

All other - just for landfalls and visiting places on islands. And... yeah, sometimes it just a regular place, and you never know what you actually discovered (once I run through forest and discover something called "clean and clear". I didn't noticed what was that).

p.s. - BEWARE of high cliff discoveries. Sometimes climbing pick just KILLS YOU when you use them. You click to climb and you died. And there is NO CORPSE left after that. So it's good option not to take crafted stuff with you, when you about to climb somewhere.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, trqfreak350 said:

Power stones are 50 each, getting 2 available levels after each, now i can reach 72

I only got 39 Points for mine (M12).