Sign in to follow this  
Olthoi

2 Gold SOTD?

So far I haven't spent any time fighting SOTD's and wanted to finally jump in.

I built one of those armored sloops that seem to be in fashion and tried it out last night.  It didn't take long to find and kill my first one, worked just like the YouTube video showed it would...... but 2 frikin' gold?  I thought it was a mistake or a glitch.  Second one was a level 15......40 gold.  Third was a level 12....25 gold.  67 Gold for 3 SOTD's and about an hour of my time.  Used about 80 cannon balls and needed mats to repair, including a bunch of alloy bars for cannon repair (not to mention the gold the 4 crew are eating up). 

Why would anybody do this?  I can earn 3 times that much gold in one low level chest and it hardly costs me anything other than sail time.  I did get a few blueprints I may use, but nothing earth shattering.  What I really need is gold.

Will a level 30 just have 60 or 70 gold?  Or does it jump much higher at some point?  Somebody please tell me there is a way to fight SOTD's that pays.

It just feels like the level of hassle versus the reward is out of balance with other ways of getting gold.  Which is a shame because this was the way I wanted to farm it.

Ideas?  Thoughts?

yeah its sadly not that fun to do them , sure you get the occasional good bp, and high lvl crew, but there it stops, heck i stopped hunting them as i find them to be waste of time , there is a reason why people get maps on thursday-friday, come 2x weekend its when people are on and doing maps as hunting SOTD is more a novelty-annoyance if they are in the way

• Like 1

I think the minimum gold dropped should be equal to the gold required to recruit the crew that drop. Then you have a choice, Gold or Crew sort of thing.

1 minute ago, Pizik said:

I think the minimum gold dropped should be equal to the gold required to recruit the crew that drop. Then you have a choice, Gold or Crew sort of thing.

Or something.  It doesnt need to be 100's per SOTD.  But my goal is maybe 1 play session a week is enough to earn all the gold I need for the week.  Maybe an evening of farming SOTD should be enough for the week.  Little balance.

But my goal is maybe 1 play session a week is enough to earn all the gold I need for the week.

Wait for x2 weekend, go for lvl10 treasure and get gold for a month : ) It worked for me this way. I easy solo lvl 17 treasure with by bear... and bring back tor 2.5 - 3k gold : ))

2 hours ago, Olthoi said:

Or something.  It doesnt need to be 100's per SOTD.  But my goal is maybe 1 play session a week is enough to earn all the gold I need for the week.  Maybe an evening of farming SOTD should be enough for the week.  Little balance.

This is a reasonable point. SOTD don’t need to be a primary source of gold but it would be nice if they at least provided enough gold so that casuals don’t have to choose between fighting them and doing maps when time is limited. I was thinking they were kind of fine where they were but you’ve persuaded me that a reasonable buff is a good idea. Hopefully the devs agree.

• Like 1

Best way is build a semi armoured brig with 12 cannons on each side and fight high level sotd. Because high level crew costs less gold to recruit and the ship drops more gold as well as good bps. We maxed out our new built brig in 3 hours by destroying approx 30 sotd and only lost 2 planks because armor takes all the damage.

• Like 1

There's a good chance they will rework loot tables and stuff when they release the new models/SoTD types.

I hope the SotD updates fix things like those mentioned above.

The loot other than the BPs just isn't worth the trouble of killing most SotD. The seas get clogged with them because most people just sail around them.

Yes, they are useful to level a ship, but killing just a few gets you ship very quickly to max level, so that doesn't last long.

You can get crew from them, but then what do you do with all the crew?

Some changes I've read already, that I want to see:

1) Allow higher max level of your ship (if not on official, make an ini setting so unofficials can have this).

2) More gold from sinking them. Why do whales give like 2k gold, and you get so little from SotD?

3) Maybe some better NPCs? Like a new type that has more uses that can only be gotten from the SotD?

4) Some cheap way to store the NPCs when not in use. Others have suggested a tavern you can put them in (like they go into its inventory). That sounds like a great idea to me. You would have to hire them again, but for a small gold amount and they would be hired at the level they were last used at.

The seas get clogged with them because most people just sail around them.

The problems not just with loot. Ppl need to do a lot of work to be able to fight them. Put some skills, build at least a Brig or insane shotgun design via Youtube guide. Farm repairment resources, create ammunition, farm gold to hire crew, then hire crew in freeport. And only after that - you ready to go. Ppl just can't go for treasure, tames or resources, and sink couple SotDs while on their way to a mission.

For me it's just slow and powerful Brig to fight them. And light, fast and non armed Schooner for far travel. Of course I avoid SotDs on my far voyages : ) And yet do hunting raids around my area where I live.

its pretty simple, you want gold. go kill whales. you want ship uprades you go kill SODs.

Honestly the SODs are less effort than whales to me. Cannon upgrades are nice, but i moslty solo them for the Speed sail upgrades. soloing a lvl 35 sod doesn't take that much effort.If anything i wish they would drop trasure maps according to their difficulty, that would be great.

Edit: btw i use 18 large cannon on rear of brig. i 1 shot lvl 20s at max range and 2 shot lvl 35s. I don't get touched. My brig carrys 400rounds so i can sink them for quite a while.3 Speed sails and i get around at a decent speed.

Edited by Nokim

2 hours ago, Vegetto said:

Best way is build a semi armoured brig with 12 cannons on each side and fight high level sotd. Because high level crew costs less gold to recruit and the ship drops more gold as well as good bps. We maxed out our new built brig in 3 hours by destroying approx 30 sotd and only lost 2 planks because armor takes all the damage.

Don't even do this, just put large cannons on the back and sail at the same speed in front of the SOD, kiting it the entire time while it's own shots fall short of your ship. Easy peasy. Never even take damage.

I've sunk dozens and dozens of level 54, 56, and 60 SODs this way. Never seen a 58 yet. Maybe they don't exist.

Same strat is used for whales, only trickier.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bowtie said:

Don't even do this, just put large cannons on the back and sail at the same speed in front of the SOD, kiting it the entire time while it's own shots fall short of your ship. Easy peasy. Never even take damage.

I've sunk dozens and dozens of level 54, 56, and 60 SODs this way. Never seen a 58 yet. Maybe they don't exist.

Same strat is used for whales, only trickier.

Will try this, how many large cannons to place on the back though?