KKhan

Taming is broken

Just fix it sneaking hardly works animals have insanely stupid wide range of attack also there is a bug when you trap it in a pen and you bola it the tame doesn't want to feed so you loose you taming proficiency its just garbage 

Taming is fine. 

But most people are "not good enough". You need pratice, every tame is tameable with the right tactic and positioning.

• Like 1

i do have to agree with puppies, we tame elephant after elephant, rhino after rhino to sell, level 25 up usually and we take minimal damage, wear plate, and the sneaking i don't think is for knocked out animals i think it's for wild ones like agro range wisel.. but tehre are sweet spots, gotta lay down, adn don't use a taming pen the foundations move you around in wierd ways.

47 minutes ago, Percieval said:

Yep, like others posted: Taming is completely fine. Nothing needs to change there. 

Hmm, I think most agree that when it says you can feed and it won't take the food, that is a bug. That needs to be fixed, but ya, how hard it is to find the spot to feed them, that is fine, that is just part of the challenge. 

Just now, wildbill said:

Hmm, I think most agree that when it says you can feed and it won't take the food, that is a bug. That needs to be fixed, but ya, how hard it is to find the spot to feed them, that is fine, that is just part of the challenge. 

Nope. Its a protection.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Puppies4ever said:

Nope. Its a protection.

A protection? Protecting what?

I really don't see how it showing you can feed but you can't can be anything other than a bug. Would be like a wall showing blue but then every time you click to place it, it just disappears. This is some kind of hit box problem I think. Similar to you filling a rabbit or monkey full of arrows but they just stick into it and do no damage.

4 minutes ago, Puppies4ever said:

Nope. Its a protection.

If the UI is telling you you're in position then it should work.

in many cases I just have to run up spam feed and back off before the animal attacks. As long as I don't sit too close for too long I don't generally have an issue, even with elephants and giraffes.

4 minutes ago, arzosah said:

in many cases I just have to run up spam feed and back off before the animal attacks. As long as I don't sit too close for too long I don't generally have an issue, even with elephants and giraffes.

Yes, that is because you know where to feed it. The reason this topic comes up over and over is someone runs up to it, it says they can feed but it doesn't work. While they are puzzling over what is wrong, they get hit and killed. They then run to the forum all pissed off and start another topic like this one.

The fact that this same topic comes up over and over says that the way it works is just too confusing for the average joe 🙂

Not everything needs to be simple and easy to figure out by the average joe.  Some level of exploration is good for games, if something doesn't work try something else until you succeed.

I agree that it shouldn't tell you, you can feed in an invalid location, but throwing a tantrum and giving up doesn't solve anything.  Running to the forums to create a new thread on an issue that has had so many created already is just annoying, more often than not the other threads include a solution to the problem.

1 hour ago, arzosah said:

Not everything needs to be simple and easy to figure out by the average joe.  Some level of exploration is good for games, if something doesn't work try something else until you succeed.

I agree that it shouldn't tell you, you can feed in an invalid location, but throwing a tantrum and giving up doesn't solve anything.  Running to the forums to create a new thread on an issue that has had so many created already is just annoying, more often than not the other threads include a solution to the problem.

Right, I wasn't advocating creating new threads about this problem, just describing what is happening. This must be at least the 10th thread about this. I'm just saying if there are that many threads on it, something is bound to actually be wrong, and "taming is just fine" is unlikely to be true.

I think just fixing the message to only show when you can actually feed would stop most of the new threads. 

I've even been known to mention that there is a search function in the forums when someone brings up a thread that has been beaten to death like this one. Crazy thing is, the forum even does the search for you when you start a new topic, so people must feel pretty strongly that it really is broken and one more thread just might do the trick to get it fixed 🙂

Edited by wildbill

4 minutes ago, trqfreak350 said:

Are you using a pen? with foundations and walls around?

A pen can be the reason people are having issues with the UI saying feed but the game not accepting it. More so after the patch. Bears are so OP I just use them to tame everything but wolves and lions/tigers (they die to easily).

Just mount a bear, beat em down and bola, feed and repeat.

1 hour ago, Nari said:

A pen can be the reason people are having issues with the UI saying feed but the game not accepting it. More so after the patch. Bears are so OP I just use them to tame everything but wolves and lions/tigers (they die to easily).

I've tamed elephants with just a bow and arrow before.

Then I used that elephant to tame other elephants.

Then I used a chocobo to tame rhinos.

You can tame with a lot more then just "op bear", and the only thing that gives anyone any grief IS the things bears have issues with - tiger and lion (and lion is easier to do with an elephant due to no grab).

Honestly, the OP has 1 point.

Sneaking is a fucking worthless skill. It should really be changed into a feat that makes creatures T1, T2 or T3 (depending on level) not hit you. That way either A: You lean to tame the hard way and save skill points or B: You spend more skill points and get a feat.

Edited by gadefence

4 hours ago, Nari said:

Its a protection against "feeding through walls", thats what i mean.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nari said:

that's how we've done every tame in the game, including wolves, other bears, and lions and tigers i use healing touch and easy mode. i actually use a bow and arrow on them, i find that it gives more consistent knockback, and if they go run mode it makes it easy to keep getting them down. i hate the pens.

3 minutes ago, trqfreak350 said:

that's how we've done every tame in the game, including wolves, other bears, and lions and tigers i use healing touch and easy mode. i actually use a bow and arrow on them, i find that it gives more consistent knockback, and if they go run mode it makes it easy to keep getting them down. i hate the pens.

I don't see how a bear works for lions though. The bear can easily kill a tame, so I assume with tigers you are not using the bear to get it down to 20% health. The bear does just too much damage, so ya, the arrow is the way to go and you can shoot it while riding the bear. The lion though is going to pull you off and hold you. Seems kind of hard to calmly shoot it with arrows while it is trying to kill you. One head shot with the bow can also kill the lion, it just doesn't have that much HP. Only way I've been able to tame a lion is a pen or if it is trapped by a tree. I've tamed about 50% trapped naturally, 50% in pit fall traps (pens) I've made. Every other one I encountered on a bear, it was kill them or be killed.

Although this thread is about the "bug" where if in a pen, they show you can feed them and you can't actually, the OP doesn't say specifically what animal he is having the problem with. Never seen that with a lion, bear, or horse. I've not tried the Elephant or Giraffe. Other threads have been very specific, usually about the Elephant, which is a really good tame that people want and have trouble with. I have to assume he actually means the Elephant. I can see how it could be tamed with a bear, and that is the strategy I'm going to use too.

8 minutes ago, wildbill said:

I don't see how a bear works for lions though. The bear can easily kill a tame, so I assume with tigers you are not using the bear to get it down to 20% health. The bear does just too much damage, so ya, the arrow is the way to go and you can shoot it while riding the bear. The lion though is going to pull you off and hold you. Seems kind of hard to calmly shoot it with arrows while it is trying to kill you. One head shot with the bow can also kill the lion, it just doesn't have that much HP. Only way I've been able to tame a lion is a pen or if it is trapped by a tree. I've tamed about 50% trapped naturally, 50% in pit fall traps (pens) I've made. Every other one I encountered on a bear, it was kill them or be killed.

Although this thread is about the "bug" where if in a pen, they show you can feed them and you can't actually, the OP doesn't say specifically what animal he is having the problem with. Never seen that with a lion, bear, or horse. I've not tried the Elephant or Giraffe. Other threads have been very specific, usually about the Elephant, which is a really good tame that people want and have trouble with. I have to assume he actually means the Elephant. I can see how it could be tamed with a bear, and that is the strategy I'm going to use too.

you have to be carefull when tanking anything with a headshot multiplier, i use the bow and arrow on everything i don't use the bears damage on much because it doesn't seem consistent, almost laggy. i'll shoot the bow near their tail area from teh back of the bear, the lions can be tricky they pull you off, but i bash it in the face and remount the bear which is on passive, i wear good armor when i go to tame lions. if the lion is full HP when it stands up with a half pull is usually how i get it low enough then switch weapons, it's mayhem though lol. i hate taming lions, and we have a damned stable full of them, usually something high level we can't resist.

I actually just found the bug, OP feeding an elephant in the open no pen, if you are in front, as in you can see his belly there is a sweet spot, tuck in by his curled up BACK knee, and go towards his face little by little, it won't let you feed it seems if you are behind by his back up by his head, it gives the command to do it, but it doesn't register. this is the

first time i've experienced this, figured i'd see if i could find a spot that did it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hiddenftw said:

i always tame them naked u just need to learn their sensitive spot to feed .

I guess that is why you do it naked, since you probably died a good number of times before finding the right spot to feed them from 🙂

I would think now that you have found the spot, you don't die? And don't need to be naked? Or maybe it is always a dicey thing?

i never died from a rhino , lions , giraffe and elepfants we always do it in open field . what i find more hard is the bear since his breath makes u go in the range attack and damn they hit hard.

15 hours ago, Percieval said:

Yep, like others posted: Taming is completely fine. Nothing needs to change there. 

Facepalm!

Yeah, a completely unrealistic system is just fine and does not need to be changed.  Something that looks like animal abuse, that wins you the loyalty of an animal...yeah folks, nothing to see here, move along, system is working just fine.  System that gives incorrect feedback to the player...text lighting up, indicating feeding is possible, when it's not...yes folks, system is working just fine.  Move along now.  No need to concern yourselves.

PirateFacepalm.JPG

4 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Facepalm!

Yeah, a completely unrealistic system is just fine and does not need to be changed.  Something that looks like animal abuse, that wins you the loyalty of an animal...yeah folks, nothing to see here, move along, system is working just fine.  System that gives incorrect feedback to the player...text lighting up, indicating feeding is possible, when it's not...yes folks, system is working just fine.  Move along now.  No need to concern yourselves.

PirateFacepalm.JPG

For some people Kraken is the endboss.

For one person tames are endbosses 🙂

• Like 1