Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jack Shadow

Once again, this is NOT fun.

So I get THIS close, and have the message saying to feed, but it won't eat.  So I go to the other side, right behind her front leg, and she eats...once, and right before she was to eat again, she hits me, and will NOT let me back in that spot.  From the front is a no-go.  She hits every time, before you even get the message to remove the bola.
20190220072901_1.jpg

So I end up with this...
20190220073154_1.jpg

Simply not fun.  There is literally nothing fun, or challenging about this taming system.  It's tedious and frustrating.  Mostly frustrating.  Here's the thing...I'm really not interested in this being some sort of mini game when you get right down to it.  I just want her so I can gather wood.  I would be just as happy...no, strike that...I would be ecstatic...more happy...actually happy, to just tame it like a cow.  Anything is better than this bullshit.  This just isn't fun at all.

And BTW, I am getting that message significantly further away, but they simply won't eat.  Had the same problem a while ago with a level 24 Bull.  Getting the message to feed, but he would not eat.  Anyway, so I move in closer and closer trying to get it to eat, but the only result is that eventually they don't like how close you are and hit you.  The bull ate once, right as it hit me, and would not let me get that close again.

12 minutes ago, Ivah BlackWater said:

Have you tried trading for a elephant?, that might be the way to go for ya

How bout no.  How about the taming system get overhauled to something that is fun.  Games are meant to be fun.  Not frustrating.  This system is beyond bad.  Any wonder that in a great 7x7 unofficial, no server had more than two people, and most were empty?  Same for a 9x9 we tried.  We had been playing on a 5x5, but they went back to a 3x3.  Why?  Drastically shrinking server population.  Got boring.

Edited by Captain Jack Shadow

The freeport is littered with temp bases and shipyards, but you can steal their claim, even with ORP.  Know why?  Because they don't play anymore.  Most of the bases we found were this way, on every island we visited.  Too much time passed, so you can steal the base.  The base is still there...ships still there, but the characters are gone.  Disappear after too many days not spawning in.  Tames starved.  Crew mutinied.   So now ORP does not block your attempt to steal.

Edited by Captain Jack Shadow

6 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

The freeport is littered with temp bases and shipyards, but you can steal their claim, even with ORP.  Know why?  Because they don't play anymore.  Most of the bases we found were this way, on every island we visited.  Too much time passed, so you can steal the base.

Bases on freeport? :classic_huh:

Just now, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Bases on freeport? :classic_huh:

Yes, common in unofficial servers.  But you do eventually want to move on, and set up a real base, because you can't PvP from there.  And the stuff you harvest can't be used in blueprint items.

Something is odd about this picture. Any time I tame one it laying on its left side. This picture looks like its head is upright. You should record a video and show your trap. Just a guess, I think your trap is the problem. I can tell you the system works. Its not perfect but it works. I have a full barn. Sometimes its just moving an inch or changing your camera direction just a touch to get the feed.

In the end, no matter what they called it. Just remember you're in a game still deep in development. It is improving by the week.

42 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

And BTW, I am getting that message significantly further away, but they simply won't eat.  Had the same problem a while ago with a level 24 Bull.  Getting the message to feed, but he would not eat.  Anyway, so I move in closer and closer trying to get it to eat, but the only result is that eventually they don't like how close you are and hit you.  The bull ate once, right as it hit me, and would not let me get that close again.

How bout no.  How about the taming system get overhauled to something that is fun.  Games are meant to be fun.  Not frustrating.  This system is beyond bad.  Any wonder that in a great 7x7 unofficial, no server had more than two people, and most were empty?  Same for a 9x9 we tried.  We had been playing on a 5x5, but they went back to a 3x3.  Why?  Drastically shrinking server population.  Got boring.

Here's the thing about that. You might not find taming fun. I don't do it at all, but like you I wanted an elephant to gather wood. I bought one, and a rhino, from a guy who does little but tame, trade his tames and deliver them. It's what he really enjoys. So it might not be what you enjoy, but some meaningful percentage of the playerbase seems to enjoy the challenges it presents, and even if that's not you and I, it suggests the mechanic is no worse than workable. Just trade for what you need if you hate taming so much. In an economy based MMO, that not only can but often should be the solution. Do what you like doing ingame and leverage that to get what you need elsewise.

I find taming them easy. Belly just around leg. Not to far it is the sweetspot. Giraffe I have troubles with. Did not find sweetspot on that

Edited by awakatanka

1 hour ago, Buck Rider said:

Something is odd about this picture. Any time I tame one it laying on its left side. This picture looks like its head is upright. You should record a video and show your trap. Just a guess, I think your trap is the problem. I can tell you the system works. Its not perfect but it works. I have a full barn. Sometimes its just moving an inch or changing your camera direction just a touch to get the feed.

In the end, no matter what they called it. Just remember you're in a game still deep in development. It is improving by the week.

I think he's demonstrating the fact that behind the head taming has been broken for quite some time now for elephants. Trap, no trap, doesn't matter, you can't feed from behind the head. That patch with the 'fix' in it for taming through walls broke elephant taming from any angle except in a very narrow area by its elbow. I don't use traps to tame elephants anymore and taming behind the head is just as broken outside traps as it is in. 

As to the OP, it really doesn't seem like the devs care enough to fix what they broke. For whatever bizarre reason they took time out of their schedule to break it, but now they can't be bothered to do anything to fix it. People have posted about it in the bugs section, I've posted about it multiple times. As with a lot of things, there has been zero acknowledgement from them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

Here's the thing about that. You might not find taming fun. I don't do it at all, but like you I wanted an elephant to gather wood. I bought one, and a rhino, from a guy who does little but tame, trade his tames and deliver them. It's what he really enjoys. So it might not be what you enjoy, but some meaningful percentage of the playerbase seems to enjoy the challenges it presents, and even if that's not you and I, it suggests the mechanic is no worse than workable. Just trade for what you need if you hate taming so much. In an economy based MMO, that not only can but often should be the solution. Do what you like doing ingame and leverage that to get what you need elsewise.

I think I know that person 😛

Yea behind the head has been broken for a while now. I don't remember what patch it was but at some point belly feeding became the only way to feed them. Periodically I can get a feed in straight on from the head but this usually involves me getting the crap kicked out of me. The belly location is not exact either. I can drop and elephant just slightly left or right of the same spot and have it never hit me once or hit me damn near every time I walk in to feed it. It's very finicky. That said I have done quite a few tames despite the fact it is very bad at the moment. Not sure what exactly they adjusted. It was around the same time people were complaining they could no longer feed a tame through a solid wall which let you feed them without ever taking damage. I did the old door frame tame pen and never had issues until after this periodically if the head is inside a door frame I can't feed them and have to remove the door frame. For anything bigger than a door frame we usually leave a corner out and pull them to the corner constantly and drop them there so their head drops in an open area. For smaller stuff we usually play tag after we get its hp low and drag it back across the middle of the pen as we bola it so its laying in the open. Adds a little more effort. Hopefully they bring back the feeding from above the head sooner than later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warspectre said:

I think he's demonstrating the fact that behind the head taming has been broken for quite some time now for elephants. Trap, no trap, doesn't matter, you can't feed from behind the head. That patch with the 'fix' in it for taming through walls broke elephant taming from any angle except in a very narrow area by its elbow. I don't use traps to tame elephants anymore and taming behind the head is just as broken outside traps as it is in. 

As to the OP, it really doesn't seem like the devs care enough to fix what they broke. For whatever bizarre reason they took time out of their schedule to break it, but now they can't be bothered to do anything to fix it. People have posted about it in the bugs section, I've posted about it multiple times. As with a lot of things, there has been zero acknowledgement from them. 

I understand the change and its not perfect but I can tell you it does work. I'll also add when I changed my trap from 3x3 to 4x5 it went from difficult to easy. Mabey because of access or maybe it changes the way it falls.

To the second point you make here... I really don't think its the devs don't care. I think if they could fix all the bugs today they would. I bet we find out in the future that the top brass wanted or needed the money and forced this game out... too early. It left an under-sized dev team holding a beta level game the was wrongly called Early Access and push to retail release. This came with a player base that just "paid" to play a game and found themselves in more of a beta tester role that they didn't expect. And a dev team that I expect is just over loaded, that must focus on the very biggest issues first while leaving so many smaller issues under-addressed. 

I don't know anyone there but I can tell you... Nobody on this dev team want this. Nobody wanted a forum full of rants, 75% bad review or a loss of maybe 80% of their opening peak numbers. I think this will be looked at by game developers in the future when they all sit around the table and hear someone talking about pushing a game out before its ready.

If Atlas came out as an open beta and delayed its release a few months we would be in a very different position.

Either way, now just I just poked them in the eye, I still support them and this game. I plan to be here a while.

• Like 1

We tamed 5 elephants back to back on sunday, it took about an hour and change.  We have a two gate setup leading into our taming pen, and once inside you can access the animal from all sides.  Having a proper setup really helps.

Unfortunately I'm at work so I can't see the images but what I've found from playing on our private server and experimenting is that traps made using foundations are much harder to get to the feeding spot. If you use foundations, you need to build them out at least 2-3 foundations out from the doorways. Otherwise the creatures will fall and glitch into the ground partially even though they look like they are completely above ground. It's a collision issue that has unfortunately been around since ARK and these developers can't seem to get it right.

I've had more success making my traps out of fence posts and better yet, use pillars if you can. 

Giraffes, well, they are just broken. They bugged to shit for taming and besides that, even with the 2X increase, are worthless as tits on a boar hog as my Papa used to say. You are better off using a common pick. 

Oh yeah, /signed that this system is NOT fun. I much prefer the ARK taming of knocking them out. At least think of something better than putting a timer on a bola and having to re-damage them down to 10% and then bola again.

Here, let me suggest a much more intuitive and smarter system. I'm even fine using the current damage them down and then bola but make it a mini game after that or something to keep them calm and trapped. Make a sooth skill for aggressive creatures you can add into the taming tree and if we don't sooth them enough while feeding them they have a larger chance of breaking the bola. Give us a visual indicator of green, yellow, orange, red. 

5 hours ago, Buck Rider said:

i see that as well , its upright , id guess its head is cliiping through wall/ pillar which is what is causing not being able to feed it , as cannot feed if they are clipping through walls , 

my trap is 6x5 taming any animal is easy i don't have to tame it through the walls the trap is there just to stop it getting to me while i'm knocking its health down then i bola and am inside the trap with them , i would say your trap is too small and trying to fee while its clipping into walls/ pillars is what is stopping u

show us your trap design instead of blaming the game as thousand have tamed elephants and do every day without issues

Edited by UDO

5 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

So I get THIS close, and have the message saying to feed, but it won't eat.  So I go to the other side, right behind her front leg, and she eats...once, and right before she was to eat again, she hits me, and will NOT let me back in that spot.  From the front is a no-go.  She hits every time, before you even get the message to remove the bola.
20190220072901_1.jpg

So I end up with this...
20190220073154_1.jpg

Simply not fun.  There is literally nothing fun, or challenging about this taming system.  It's tedious and frustrating.  Mostly frustrating.  Here's the thing...I'm really not interested in this being some sort of mini game when you get right down to it.  I just want her so I can gather wood.  I would be just as happy...no, strike that...I would be ecstatic...more happy...actually happy, to just tame it like a cow.  Anything is better than this bullshit.  This just isn't fun at all.

Wrong position.

• Like 1

As a solo player, I estimated that taming would NEVER be worth it. The time to find the good tame, tame it, level it, and then be very careful to keep it alive. I could probably just better use that time gathering resources. Especially so when your tame eventually dies. As they all do. 

If you don't like taming, don't do it.

Or, if you have a bug report about the hit box for the elephant, then report a bug.

6 hours ago, Puppies4ever said:

Wrong position.

Then I should not be getting the blue feed message.  Simple as that.  Game is broken.  5x5 I played on, went to 3x3 because of declining server population.  Very well run servers we are trying, are all but empty.  Company I am in, on Official, used to have 100 active players...now has 5 active.

Let me simply say this...the focus on why people didn't like Mass Effect Andromeda was the animations.  That was not why people hated it.  But it was low hanging fruit.  People don't always know why they hate a game, and sometimes they know, but don't want to enter into debates...so with MEA, the animations were low hanging fruit.  Easy to bash the company over them, to vent their anger and frustrations.  But it was only one small reason they hated the game.  They were fixed, but people still hated it. 

When I talked with the many people I know who loved the ME series, but hated MEA, I asked many open ended questions to get them talking.  Their venting always started with the animations, but I would point out that they are now fixed, and then ask more questions to get them to look deeper.  So let me just say that the reasons people hated the game were generally the same, and had very little to do with the animations.  They were reasons that I saw as problems from the beginning.

So let me take a stab here.   First, this game may be EA, but this is the new trend....people running to each new EA game, and playing it, expecting it to be mostly finished and playbable.  When they aren't, people get frustrated.  Second, when I talk with a lot of people, they aren't enamored with the extreme emphasis on survival aspects.  Why?  I believe it goes to their internal expectations.  Sailing Ships and Treasure...yeah that's sings a song of high adventure to them, not survival game.  Let me just say this...Chris Roberts noted in one of the many Q&A's that he's done for Star Citizen that your character would need to eat and drink...and even use the bathroom, but he also noted that these would not be to the level of survival games.  Like every 20 minutes, your character isn't going to start groaning, and dying because you didn't eat.  This news was welcomed very positively.  In other words, most people like that their character will need to eat occasionally, for the immersion, the addition to the game that it adds...having a reason to spend some credits, and go to areas where you will run into other people...the places to eat and drink now having a real reason to be in the game.  In most games, you go into those places and there is nothing to do, except maybe meet some mission giver, or find a target.  The point I am making is that people were happy to know that the eating was not going to be a function of how many hits you took at rocks and trees, and how much you had sprinted, and that your character wasn't just going to die as a result of missing a meal or two.

What this game promises, is a sort of Odyssey, quests and adventure, Islands to explore, Monsters to kill, but what you actually get are spammed gates circling islands, people hunting you down and killing you because they can see that you entered "THEIR" territory.  6....12...18 or more people entering a grid...yeah that's going to wake up the locals.

This is getting too long...maybe I will make a post dedicated to what I think would save this game.  Not that it will matter. 

1 hour ago, Astiria said:

Actually easy, only feed from belly side, never the back as that just doesnt work.

I was able to get one feeding in from that position.  Just as the timer was about to expire, she hit me, and would not let me back in that position.  I have Sneak 3.

The real issue here is that you get the feed message, but nothing happens.  The masses are not going to like a game that has this kind of mechanic.  Having to move around trying to find some arbitrary sweet spot where the damn thing will actually eat.  If you are getting that blue message, it should eat.  Period.

11 hours ago, UDO said:

i see that as well , its upright , id guess its head is cliiping through wall/ pillar which is what is causing not being able to feed it , as cannot feed if they are clipping through walls , 

How about this...animals should not clip through walls and pillars.  Many games have this now, where characters and NPCs don't clip through walls.  What is this, 1999, or 2019?

The taming system is not fun. 

• Confused 1

u must be on the other side close to his ear from that side u can always feed him . they made a sensitive spot for taming to cant be feeded thru walls 🙂 hope that helped we tamed 6 like this . if u looking to trade for one let me know eu pve here

1 hour ago, hiddenftw said:

u must be on the other side close to his ear from that side u can always feed him . they made a sensitive spot for taming to cant be feeded thru walls 🙂 hope that helped we tamed 6 like this . if u looking to trade for one let me know eu pve here

Once again, I was able to feed once from that position.  I stayed still, watching the timer, and just as it was about to reach 0:00, she hit me, and hit every single time I tried to approach that spot again.  That is not fun.  Once again, it is not fun.  Instead of defending a bull shit game mechanic such as "Oh, you have to find the magical sweet spot where you can feed from," how about a better way to tame, that's actually fun.

I have an even better thought...how about we get rid of tames, and just have our crews forage along with us.  How about a command to have them mine trees, brush, rocks, etc...?  What they get depends on which tool you give them.  Would be more realistic than an elephant gathering wood for you.